TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Torchwood: Miracle Day Forums

Starz (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: 1.03 Dead Of Night (possible Spoilers)

anbis82

[1]Jul 21, 2011
    • level: 60

Please use this thread to discuss tomorrow's new episode here. Enjoy!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nordan123

[2]Jul 23, 2011
    • level: 6

Goodbye Torchwood Miracle Day,I will not be watching this anymore.

acrh2

[3]Jul 23, 2011
    • level: 4

Nordan123 wrote:

Goodbye Torchwood Miracle Day,I will not be watching this anymore.

Are you kidding?

Jemadari

[4]Jul 23, 2011
    • level: 12

I found this episode to be really slow in progressing the overall story and just all over the place not to mention Torchwood has never been a show in which sex scenes were necessary to keep the audience interested,so accordingly I found both scenes to be a complete waste of screentime.

Though I did like the nod to the special bond Jack and Gwen once shared

JC_Argue

[5]Jul 23, 2011
    • level: 5
    Jemadari wrote:

I found this episode to be really slow in progressing the overall story and just all over the place not to mention Torchwood has never been a show in which sex scenes were necessary to keep the audience interested,so accordingly I found both scenes to be a complete waste of screentime.

Though I did like the nod to the special bond Jack and Gwen once shared

Clearly you have not been watching the same torchwood as everyone else as almost everyone in the original cast had some sort of sex scene, sometimes more than once.

And yes the episode was slow but is needed to develope story and plot and explain how people are feeling and how tensions are rising - this is the same method as COE - it had its slower moments but you didnt notice because it came out in 2 hour mini series form - since they are spreading the whole season for 1 a week episode - yes u will have slow moments, but its still important to the whole story.

I LIKE THE OLD AND NEW TORCHWOOD !!! I HOPE WE GET ANOTHER SEASON

haldrey

[6]Jul 23, 2011
    • level: 22
    I was expecting a Torchwood in a premium channel to get a bit rowdy but this episode was pretty damn good and really both sex scenes were unnecessary. Please keep the Torchwood that learned to love.

tommy0122

[7]Jul 24, 2011
    haldrey wrote:
    I was expecting a Torchwood in a premium channel to get a bit rowdy but this episode was pretty damn good and really both sex scenes were unnecessary. Please keep the Torchwood that learned to love.

The original Torchwood was pretty gay I was hoping that they would leave that stuff out because it adds absolutely nothing to the story, but I guess they just couldn't help themselves. The Brits love their gays, but I was hoping the US would be above that, but guess not.

lynna12000

[8]Jul 24, 2011
    • level: 21
    haldrey wrote:

Just about EVERY sex scene in ANY show is unnecessary for the plot. But such scenes bring in the viewers, which is what the advertisers care about. At least Jack wasn't the only one having a bit of fun.

anbis82

[9]Jul 25, 2011

I somewhat find the expectation that Torchwood's move to STARZ would make the show "less gay when in fact the barkeeper scene will be cut from the British version of this episode .

Besides: were the sex scenes unnecessary? Maybe. Did it interfere with the story? Nope. And I really liked the montage of the two scenes.

marknmo

[10]Jul 25, 2011
    tommy0122 wrote:
    haldrey wrote:

The original Torchwood was pretty gay I was hoping that they would leave that stuff out because it adds absolutely nothing to the story, but I guess they just couldn't help themselves. The Brits love their gays, but I was hoping the US would be above that, but guess not.

The US would not be above anything by filtering out gay themes. If anything, the US is showing that they are starting to get on track with the better part of the world by including scenes of both herero and homo sex when they feel the need to include sex scenes. I thought it made for a really good balance to include both orientations in the same montage.

I didn't like episode two, but I wound up really enjoying this episode a lot. It was still a bit slower in terms of how I'd like to see the plot develop, but it did drive the emotional storyline and built the tension well for what's to come.

It was really nice to see Jack and Gwen addressing their past feelings towards one another and to see Jack grieving for his past loses and showing the guilt that had driven him away at the end of season 3. I also liked how his talk with Oswald was obviously drilling Jack's guilt of choosing to kill his grandson. I was worried that all of these past elements would be forgotten when this show crossed over, but having the writers directly address these past plot lines shows that they do respect where this show is coming from.

The drug company was kind of an obvious story point that I could see coming for a while, so I'm glad we've finally gotten to it. Now, I just really want to find out exactly how they did it and how Torchwood is going to work on reversing what they've done.

I'm also curious about all of these ideas bouncing around in the dialogue about what these miracle means for their future and what happens to all of the "soulless" when/if the miracle ceases. We've seen Rex's wounds are still extremely bad (heck, I'm wondering if he's even healing at all), so I'm wondering if he's going to die when/if they stop the miracle, or if he'll make it through the whole ordeal.

I'm also very curious about this red-headed Phicorp rep (Jilly). I'm hoping she's more than just a messenger for the man behind the curtain, cause the actress is really stealing all of her scenes, and I'd love to see her take a strong, devious role in the future episodes. Having her dressed in red all the time makes me automatically think that she's supposed to be some "devil" figure in the story, so I want to see her cause pain to the Torchwood team . . . and eventually get her dues. :-p

I wasn't thrilled about this show last week, but after watching this episode, I'm very much on board. True, it's different in terms of being more serious in general and not having as much extreme sci-fi to deal with, but I'm enjoying the characters and their potential.

MadisonDeNiro

[11]Jul 25, 2011
    • level: 1

I hope they explain why Phicorp would want Danes as a spokesperson soon. It makes no logical sense to me. It would be like O.J. Simpson becoming spokesperson for some defense of marriage group. Sure they're making a big deal about some people forgiving him and turning him into a star but that's probably just in America. The rest of the world wouldn't give a flying fig. Wouldn't the company want one spokesperson who had world wide appeal?

The other small quibble is that by ditching his guard Danes violated his parole and should have been sent back to jail. That whole sequence with him in the cafe and with the cops was unnecessary. Jilly could have just walked up to his hotel room and knocked on the door. Again, by just going off with her he violated his parole again. In real life, the police would have arrested him the minute they found out where he was.

anbis82

[12]Jul 25, 2011

Well, is Danes on parole? I don't think so, he made it clear that he served his sentence and paid his debt. Danes told them he would sue the governor if they didn't let him go. The officer is there to keep an eye on him so he doesn't hurt another girl again.

Nordan123

[13]Jul 27, 2011
    • level: 6

acrh2 wrote:
    Are you kidding?

Not kidding.

1.Nothing except Jack and Gwen reminds me of Torchwood and the "everyone is affected" plot is too big for me.

2.A pedophile rising to fame and stardom simply pisses me off.

3.The redhaired woman,annoying as hell and we all know she will turn out to be bad news.

4.Way too much conspiracy and way too little information revealed.

Jemadari

[14]Jul 27, 2011

Nordan123 wrote:

acrh2 wrote:
    Are you kidding?

Not kidding.

1.Nothing except Jack and Gwen reminds me of Torchwood and the "everyone is affected" plot is too big for me.

2.A pedophile rising to fame and stardom simply pisses me off.

3.The redhaired woman,annoying as hell and we all know she will turn out to be bad news.

4.Way too much conspiracy and way too little information revealed.

Right there with you,point 3 i'm indifferent to but point 2 makes me mad like no other(had the same feeling when Owen date raped a couple in the first episode and it was presented like a joke)

I'm gonna keep watching but only because friday has a pretty weak tv lineup

frednerk

[15]Jul 28, 2011
    • level: 1

I liked the wayEve Myleshas really matured her character and made her very strong and resourceful. She is somewhat overshadowing her american friends............It shows youhow any connection with the Doctor has that effect, just as Davros had said. Assuming this is the same timeline itgives the viewer a chance to see howshe has gained an immense amount of confidence and experience fighting Aliens and those nasty bastards the Daleks in her past. I hope some reference will be made in this series to indicate that the Daleks did invade Earth and the Americans do know of that fact, but do not know of Gwen's and Captain Jack's part in defeating them.

Pike.

eric770

[16]Jul 30, 2011
    • level: 4

Speaking as a casual fan of the original and trying to become a fan of this latest series on Starz I must honestly say I don't need sex scenes to get me watching the show (my wife takes care of that department for me!). I didn't need the straight or gay love scene to be honest it just seemed forced in my opinion. It was like a couple of kids that thought well, our parents are out of town, so we have to have a party. Just because your on Starz didn't mean it's mandatory that you have a sex scene!!! What is this True Blood? One thing I would like is for them to calm down the Rex character a bit, I'm tired of him bitting off the head of Esther all the time. I may be in the minority on this, but I don't need to sex up my sci fi that is playing over enough on every other series, just devlop the characters and let the story do your talking.

kanniballl

[17]Aug 2, 2011
    • level: 18

lynna12000 wrote:
    Just about EVERY sex scene in ANY show is unnecessary for the plot. But such scenes bring in the viewers, which is what the advertisers care about. At least Jack wasn't the only one having a bit of fun.

It's over-used a LOT, to the point I can agree with the statement "just about EVERY..."

But it has its uses with themes and/or character development from time to time on TV and films... though brief or implied scenes are usually "good enough" to get the point across.

I've seen some thrown in here as the ultimate expression of one's emotion or situation. For example, as silly as it sounds on paper... the world is going to end or a person ultimately thinks they're going to die. So they try to squeeze in as much "living" as they can before the end comes. Or perhaps a quiet / bored shut-in has an emotional awakening. etc.

In Jack's case, it kind of works. This is the first time in centuries / millenia that Jack's been mortal and it's weighing heavily on his mind. He's injured and thinks its serious (since he hasn't had an auto-heal injury in forever). So he wants to LIVE because tomorrow may never come.

And face it, THAT act is one of the ultimate expressions of life. Intimacy, feelings, sensations, etc.

The alternative is for him to whine about it or have an even longer and more boring monologue about the fragility of life.

Edited on 08/02/2011 7:16am
    Edited 2 total times.