Torchwood: Miracle Day Forums

Starz (ended 0000)

Official Discussion Thread: 1.04 Escape To LA (possible Spoilers)

anbis82

[1]Jul 28, 2011
    • level: 60

Discuss and enjoy tomorrow's new episode !

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

haldrey

[2]Jul 30, 2011
    • level: 22
    We are beginning to see some light. Fantastic episode, this is my kind of Torchwood.

anbis82

[3]Jul 31, 2011

I absolutely agree! Loved the part in the server room and where Gwen got out of her shoes because who can actually walk and run in high heels?

Res_Dog

[4]Jul 31, 2011
    • level: 5
    Nice ep - is some DrWho-Fan on here who can tell us what the 'and soon the families will rise'-clue meant?

Regarding Esther - well she is simply a dumb wh*re, she doesn't add anything to the team, nor is she a compelling character. They should kill her off the ...oh wait, crap, now that's a truly awful consequence of the miracle.

Jemadari

[5]Jul 31, 2011
    • level: 12

I personally have always found the beauty of torchwood to be it's simplicity and in Children of Earth they made the complex arching storyline work but here it's just not working for me,which isn't to say that it doesn't have it's moments but as a whole C+ is the best I can do

anbis82

[6]Jul 31, 2011

I'm not sure, but I don't think "the families will rise" is connected to Doctor Who...

kanniballl

[7]Aug 2, 2011
    • level: 18

anbis82 wrote:

I'm not sure, but I don't think "the families will rise" is connected to Doctor Who...

Well, there was the Season 3 (of the revival) episodes "Human Nature" and "The Family of Blood"

I only mention this because people are throwing around the word "family" which I guess I missed from the episode. In the Doctor Who episodes, the Family of Blood is really big on getting the Doctor's immortality. So the word "family" comes into play as does the theme/plot of immortality.

But I really doubt it. I hope it's something new / unique to Torchwood than something piggy-backing off a Doctor Who episode / enemy / etc.

People are also pointing out the similarities between the Cybermen faces and the masks, that's another thing I hope it isn't. Cyvermen are just almost as over-used as Daleks... and Cybermen are making an appearance in Doctor Who shortly after its return in August.

Edited on 08/02/2011 7:04am

zzbeach

[8]Aug 4, 2011

I made it through halfthis episode and turned if off. This version of Torchwood has become boring and has all the elements of many sci-fi fans paranoid delusions: Sarah Palin, Christianity, Big Drug Companies and the TEA Party. Maybe they should have Ronald Reagan come back from the dead to really drive them nuts! And the commentary it makes on American society is worse. A child murdering rapist would never be hired as a spokesman for any product. It's like Casey Anthony getting hired to promote baby food or a new toddler clothing line.I liked Children of Earth but I did think it was two episodes too long. At best this storyline has two episodes of real material and I'm being generous. Too bad, I was really looking forward to this show. I won't be watching the rest. See ya.

vicbjones

[9]Aug 4, 2011

I'm wondering if the co-executive producer title is somewhat ceremonial. Each episode seems to have had a different one, all relatively famous, chomping at the bit to work with Russell Davies perhaps? I liked the theme of families in this episode, although every time Gwen or Esther talked on the phone, I thought maybe they shouldn't mention key words that conceivably could be picked up by a computer program and traced back to them.

Kissinger suddenly didn't seem like the prime mover she appeared to be in the previous episodes and definitely an episode where Jack took a backseat to the other characters. The best parts were the child-killer sulking in the back of his limo over "Mayor Palin" stealing his limelight and Gwen talking on the phone with Rhys while swapping the server. I also liked the scene at the hospital where Gates took his PR in his own hands, although I question some of Bill Pullman's choices of inflection. When he tells Kissinger "I will be angry; Phico will be angry," I think he should have emphasized "Phico" more, as if to equate himself with the company. I also appreciated the absurdity of the world being reassured by a convicted child-killer taking an abandoned child under his wing.

A few other problems I had were how fast mortal Jack managed to get upstairs with the elevators out not even breathing hard, Rex getting into the server room without going through the security protocols, and such a high-tech security system allowing access to whatever-the doctor's-name-was into the server room when he presumably hadn't exited, since Gwen was still there.

And for the record, Esther's problems with her sister added a lot to the episode.

Edited on 08/04/2011 9:39pm

matsee

[10]Apr 6, 2012

Rex's father called his own son a "son of a b..." Rex's father must really have hated his son's mother for him to call him that and no saying it is only an expression does not fly with me.