Torchwood: Miracle Day Forums

Starz (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: 1.05 The Categories of Life (possible Spoilers)

BradNichols

[21]Aug 11, 2011
    • level: 2

Hey no problem. Yeah they animated scarecrows to help them in their efforts. About the burning of the bodies, if it is the Family species of aliens they also wouldnt have a use for functionless bodies. Just a thought.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kanniballl

[22]Aug 11, 2011
    • level: 18

Res_Dog wrote:

ther hand had potential and didn't appear to be so wildly naive as Esther is. But the showrunners chose to make her act like a stupid suicidal idiot,

Yeh, flipping out at the guy was insanely stupid. He's already shown that he has low morals, his position has let him get away with shady stuff, and you're in a secluded area of the base that people purposely do not go near.

You don't corner a person like that unless you're absolutely sure you have the upper-hand; like he's already in custody. But instead she was in a secluded area with a man that had an armed guard standing next to him. STUPID.

Then again she is just a doctor and not your usual spy. But come on, even if you don't watch TV or read fiction you should have more than enough common sense then to do that. Cornering and scaring an animal results in bad news for the aggressor.

Edited on 08/11/2011 11:37am
    Edited 2 total times.

Cranky_Old_Batt

[23]Aug 11, 2011
    • level: 6

kanniballl wrote:

Res_Dog wrote:

ther hand had potential and didn't appear to be so wildly naive as Esther is. But the showrunners chose to make her act like a stupid suicidal idiot,

Yeh, flipping out at the guy was insanely stupid. He's already shown that he has low morals, his position has let him get away with shady stuff, and you're in a secluded area of the base that people purposely do not go near.

You don't corner a person like that unless you're absolutely sure you have the upper-hand; like he's already in custody. But instead she was in a secluded area with a man that had an armed guard standing next to him. STUPID.

Then again she is just a doctor and not your usual spy. But come on, even if you don't watch TV or read fiction you should have more than enough common sense then to do that. Cornering and scaring an animal results in bad news for the aggressor.

I am in complete agreement with this. I found this (and several other things that have been pointed out) an insult to my intelligence. She is/was a doctor that had to pass psychology classes to get her license to practice and had years of experience treating patients and dealing with different psychological and emotional states during crises.

If anyone should have read that attacking the bully on and ego and power trip and low to no regard for women could lead to mortal peril, she should have!

As to the big reveal of this ep with the cookers: what they H is going on? I am getting very frustrated with a lot of little hints and clues that don't add up logically at all. If this IS about harvesting ashes, this is a very expensive and time consuming way to go about it.

If this about harvesting hosts, they can still be broken and rendered worthless. Again, illogical. Why would anyone go through so much trouble for something so fragile?

And why on earth has there been no mention of Owen - who was immortal (before he got nuked)?!?!?!?! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not drawing any good conclusions from what I have have been given so far. Who benefits from this? Phicorp - only up to a certain point. What resource is being harvested, who needs it, why is it worth the effort? If the motive is more basal such as for revenge - good gravy, against whom and why? There are too many questions and not enough answers. Other than the immortality, we have a cop/spy show. The pedophile makes my skin crawl (even though I think Bill Pullman is an outstanding actor). The excess mellow drama gets tedious, just like it did in COE. (And I do think COE was a better story.)

Count me on the team that is disappointed with the lack of science fiction in the new Torchwood. I guess I will see this through to find out what the writers were trying to say, but I am not thrilled at all.

Edited on 08/11/2011 12:59pm
    Edited 3 total times.

kanniballl

[24]Aug 12, 2011
    • level: 18

Cranky_Old_Batt wrote:

As to the big reveal of this ep with the cookers: what they H is going on? I am getting very frustrated with a lot of little hints and clues that don't add up logically at all. If this IS about harvesting ashes, this is a very expensive and time consuming way to go about it.

If this about harvesting hosts, they can still be broken and rendered worthless. Again, illogical. Why would anyone go through so much trouble for something so fragile?

And why on earth has there been no mention of Owen - who was immortal (before he got nuked)?!?!?!?! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not drawing any good conclusions from what I have have been given so far. Who benefits from this? Phicorp - only up to a certain point.

Yeh, Owen was in a similar condition as the current immortals. He was alive and conscious even though his vitals were all stopped.

As for "why" everything is going on, it's still up in there air.

- Maybe "ashes of immortals" are useful for something like medicine... and allow for a better form of immortality (stopped aging and rapid regeneration). Or some other use (like drugs or something).

- Maybe this is all just about making some utopia / dystopia where people are immortal and they start killing off the undesirables. First the dead-ish, then the poor, then certain ethnic groups, etc. Maybe Nazis are involved. Anyway, eventually the world is only populated by people "the establishment" want there.

- Maybe this is a grand experiment... they're trying to make a Jack-style immortal but haven't gotten the formula quite right. So they have a HUGE population of test subjects until they finish everything off.

- Maybe someone / something wants humans as slaves in dangerous places (like mines) where dying can be a nuisance for the evil alien overlords.

- Maybe someone is on a Timelord-kick and just wants to turn humans into the next timelords, starting with some sort of immortality and then moving onto time travel and such.

- etc

Torchwood was only slightly more sci-fi than Doctor Who (which really might as well be classified as fantasy).

Jack would explain some of the weird things in one-line-sentences. It's not a monster, it's an alien from planet X. It's not magic it's a magneto-regenerator. It's an alien that can control memories.

Edited on 08/12/2011 9:22am
    Edited 2 total times.

AlexRohmat

[25]Aug 12, 2011
    • level: 1

This is a very fair theory, but, seeing that Torchwood is a spin off and more of an adult show than Doctor Who, I think its fair to say that The Family Of Blood won't be behind this... maybe not directly, or at all. Seeing as this is an American series now instead of British, I think it's fair to say they took on the global act as foreshadowing for what's coming. They wouldn't put in small details in every episode for nothing, and I think it's all connected.

Okay, 1) PhiCor; the company that have "organised" this all. First of all, the C.I.A director said he was contacted by "them", and that "They" have been here for decades, and that they're all around us. But this "them" can't be confirmed as PhiCor. The PhiCor company has used pharmacuticals as its way forward, but we have never seen PhiCor themselves use the Triangle logo that "they" have used. PhiCor could even be another pawn of "them".

2) Oswald Danes; he got caught in the middle of the miracle by "chance"... chance? Yet he's so good with words and he can sway so many people. Convenient?

3) Julie Kitzenger; she seemed to pop up and appear everywhere, even at the board meetings with doctors e.t.c... what part does she play? She seems to have authority and although she works for PhiCor, I have the funniest feeling she could be behind all this. She's organised, and it would be un predicted as a plot change. Just a thought.

4) Reverse of life; not just people can't die, but life reversed because Jack CAN die now? So there we are.

I think this could be a whole new adversary Torchwood haven't seen before. Or it could even be the 456 again. They offered humanity the cure for a coming infection and plague their very first visit to Earth, but we never saw their technology. Maybe this is what they can do, and they use this as a way for people to bow to them, giving them what they want in exchange for the reverse back?

Or yes, indeed, it could be the Family Of Blood, but they wouldn't have the technology to reverse life, we know that much from Doctor Who, they're still very primitive as an advance race. Or PhiCor could be a family, a collective of a race designed to infiltrate and destroy.

All theoretical, but I'm just showing everyone the facts to look clearer at it. Oh, and another thing; take into account what Danes said about humans now being "Angles"... that's a big metaphor for humanities position in the show right now, and something as big as that could be foreshadowing for maybe a forth coming God-like race, maybe PhiCor is the God-like race, or maybe the Krillitanes have found the source of the Skasas Paradigm (universal building blocks) and are slowly taking over Earth...

(Bear in mind Krillitanes can disguise themselves as humans and The Doctor in revived series 2 of Doctor Who said they had visited Earth before, maybe they have been there DECADES before hand?)

That's my theory, that its the Krillitanes (Rhymes with Oswald Danes). But again, since its Torchwood, and it is them, obviously their goal would be something darker now that they had pottentially reached God status?

BradNichols

[26]Aug 12, 2011
    • level: 2

In my opinionI stated thatI don't think that its the Family Of Blood seeing they are all trapped but, the rest of their race were all called Families as a whole. In the distant future when they've all died out except The Family Of Blood they steal a time ship and hunt down the doctor. Maybe onemember ofThe Family Of Blood was freed and now helping the rest seeing as they are all from the future and would have the full knowledge of what happened to their race. The only problem with the Krillitanes or anyone breaking the Skasas Paradigm is that they could do anything they wanted to the universe. making humans unable to die would be way way to small scale for the power it holds.

pferreira86

[27]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 17

kanniballl wrote:

Res_Dog wrote:

Vera must be feeling "hot, hot, hot"! It's like Bobby Brown's lyrics to On You Own: "Too hot to handle, too cold to hold".

I'm sorry... Tongue out

pferreira86

[28]Sep 4, 2011
    • level: 17

pferreira86 wrote:

kanniballl wrote:

Res_Dog wrote:

Vera must be feeling "hot, hot, hot"! It's like Bobby Brown's lyrics to On You Own: "Too hot to handle, too cold to hold".

I'm sorry... Tongue out

I guess Vera was fired...

Okay I'll stop now! Laughing