TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Torchwood: Miracle Day Forums

Starz (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: 1.09 The Gathering (possible spoilers)

anbis82

[1]Sep 2, 2011
    • level: 60

Please use this thread to discuss tonight's new episode. Enjoy!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rickvega

[2]Sep 3, 2011
    • level: 8

Why do I get the feeling that in order to stop the miracle Jack is going to have to die????? It seems that its centered around Jacks Blood, and i think that in order to stop it they are going to Kill Jack. Now what the hell is that?? Its in Shanghai and in Buenos Aires and why is it pulling stuff in you would think that it would suck everything thats in that room in and why do some people who have seen it die?? More un-answered questions. There was an emotional part to this episode again the part where they take Gwen's father so so sad.

skiso1

[3]Sep 3, 2011
    • level: 3

IS it me or things gets more interesting as soon as they are back in england!

so what does THAT tell you ???

thribs

[4]Sep 3, 2011
    • level: 8

The Blessing doesn't look very interesting, it looks like a giant anus that suck things in. Hope there is more to it.

They still haven't give a good reason why the Doctor hasn't intervened.

divinebaal

[5]Sep 3, 2011
    • level: 4
    The writers has really started in one direction and then stopped and let those phenomena just "be". No point of explaining them at all. Just one part of daily life.

Easy how fast they travelled around the world and The Blessing, well, I wonder how they ever will finish this in 55 min.

haldrey

[6]Sep 3, 2011
    • level: 22
    It does not look like they are going to end this storyline in 55 min., looks like we are headed to a cliffhanger. Nevertheless this episode was fantastic and I hope that the next one is as good, no more of the roller coaster ride we have had during this first season.

anbis82

[7]Sep 4, 2011
    • level: 60

No, they can't end with a cliffhanger (at least not for this immortality story, leaving a character's life hanging in the balance, that's a different story).
    My guess: Jack's blood will in fact stop The Blessing. Fortunately, Esther took a briefcase with her . It does make sense if The Blessing is some kind of alien livingform or technology that does need Jack for some reason.

Anybody else seeing bad things coming for Rex? His wound still seemed to be a problem for him...

scottjoc

[8]Sep 4, 2011
    • level: 10
    This story is completely filled with filler, I mean from episode one to nine, filler, this really feels like it should have been 5 episodes with a faster pace.

Again I'm sitting here groaning at how much emphasis they put on Gwen's father, with the slow moving scenes of the guy searching the house and them being paranoid beyond all reason - for no reason might I add.

Then Gwen just lets them take him without a fight, when in the first episode she had guns all over the place ready for a fight to protect her daughter, maybe yes its a different sort of scenario but I simply do not care about this part of the plot at all. They could've removed this and the story would not have changed.

All in all, this season of Torchwood - just plain awful, I'm only watching now just to find out how it ends.

Its pretty obvious that Danes is going to be some kind of hero and go to the blessing, perhaps because he already knows his true self or perhaps they will show it to him and he will kill himself later, who knows.

firlefanz10

[9]Sep 4, 2011
    • level: 3

First off, Jack won't die permanently. Given that he actually IS gonna transform into the Face of Boe.

Secondly it's highly plausible that Danes plays a special role in the end.

Third, I agree with all who sayeth that this is not the Torchwood of old. It definitely IS too americanized but worse it was WAYYYY to slow paced...

kanniballl

[10]Sep 6, 2011
    • level: 18

thribs wrote:

They still haven't give a good reason why the Doctor hasn't intervened.

One could ask that about any of the big things Torchwood has had to deal with other than the Rift and the Master. The son of the demon (or whatever), the Children of the Earth, some other stuff. From a story/writing standpoint, they have to be able to stand on their two feet and can't rely on writing a Doctor cross-over or even explaining his absence every single time.

I mean, in Children we only had a theory from Gwen... that sometimes he doesn't show up because he looks down at the human race and shakes his head... which doesn't really mesh with what we've seen of him.

kanniballl

[11]Sep 6, 2011
    • level: 18

skiso1 wrote:

IS it me or things gets more interesting as soon as they are back in england!

so what does THAT tell you ???

What's funny is there is no winning with you :-) All kidding aside, I agree that this is not the Torchwood we all know and love.

When the show started and was all abuzz with running, shooting, and a flippin' exploding helicopter the forums were full of "Oh boy, it's Americanized all right... all explosions and action, and no drama." Then when the show slowed down, actually way too much, it was "Oh boy, it's Americanized all right. Look at how slow and cruddy it is."

American TV, particularly cable, can handle mini-series, short-seasons-without-filler, and just high quality TV in general. Starz in particular has had some great series. The problem is network TV is also full of a lot of crud.

But for some reason, it looks like people are just dropping the ball with Miracle Day. I mean, filler episodes in a 10-ep season? Really? 10 episodes and you can't keep a solid foundation? Really? WTF

I wouldn't call it an "American" thing, just an "Under new management, and the new management doesn't understand the source material" type of thing.

Edited on 09/06/2011 5:43am