Torchwood: Miracle Day Forums

Starz (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: 1.10 The Blood Line (possible spoilers)

thechosenonecj

[1]Sep 9, 2011
    • level: 7

Great episode to finish it off I thought. Never thought that they'd leave it to carry on though, thought they'd come back next year with a brand new story but it looks as though it will roughly follow the same one.

Oh, and I'm not overly keen on the fact there's 2 immortals now. Tongue out

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MisterKez

[2]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 4

I agree. Jack is supposed to be unique. I do not know how they can explain this away. It was too much. I saw the whole blood transfusion when they synched Jack and Rex's cutting the fence, then kill the guard in the same manner. Dead give away when Gwen asked the field to save just one more life. So the blessing was listening and saved Rex, not Jack's blood. It was a one time deal.

One question though. Jack has been shot numerous times and now Rex got shot and healed. What happens to the bullets? They have never shown them coming out. All that is shown is the skin healing over the wound, but no bullet. Jack would have hundreds of bullets just lodged in him several in his brain. Nitpicky I know, but it is nagging the s**t out of me.

Overall, it was an okay series. It was not on par with Children of Earth though.

MasterChief43

[3]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 3

Didn't Jack say numerous times that his blood ISN'T immortal? How would that make the Miracle work? Why would the Blessing change its template (Jack) to mortal and make everyone else immortal? Why didn't they restrain Rex and Jack to stop them, when they were both wounded and unarmed? Just tackle them and make sure they don't bleed. Why didn't the bad guys blow up the two sites from the first day of the Miracle to make sure no one ever finds them, why did they wait untill the only person who COULD stop them got that close? Why would they get Jack's attention if he's the only one who could stop it?

I thought it was the worst season finale ever. I don't even want to talk about how ridicilous the whole Rex is now immortal business is.

cross_mr

[4]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 9
    I believe the first time he was shot on torchwood, it showed the bullet coming back out.

MasterChief43

[5]Sep 10, 2011

Plus, a bullet hole is not that big, nor was the hole in Rex's chest - if the Blessing could suck their blood through those, why not through their cut fingers? Even if it couldn't, why did Jack insist on Gwen shooting him, when he had an wound that he could rip open just like Rex? Why did Rex become immortal AFTER the magic blood was drained from him?

scottjoc

[6]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 10

The end to without a doubt the worst season of Torchwood, theres so many things wrong with Miracle Day - I wish it was never made. From the start the idea of 'nobody dies' sounded really cool, then they turn it into... that.

1) I've said it before but this should have been like Children of Earth, 5 focused episodes. Compare Children of Earth to Miracle day, notice anything? A lot more happens in Children of Earth, and Miracle Day had twice the airtime.

So that leads me to conclude one thing: If they hadn't spent most of the episodes wasting time like a bunch of howler monkeys on pointless things they could've probably done this story in 3 episodes.

It was long, drawn out and extremely boring - I only watched because I wanted to know how it ends, and that was pretty stupid too.

2) Ester died, why didn't I flinch? this bothers me, nobody who died I actually cared about. The most I felt was for Gwens father but even him I had little emotional investment in.

Is it normal that a main character dies and I literally do not care? The doctor in the earlier episode being cooked alive, didn't bother me in the slightest either, they did something wrong here.

If you want an example of emotional investment take Jacks grandson for instance, in Children of Earth - that was actually shocking and actually made me really sad when they killed him - and no thats not just because he was a child either, I'm a pretty jaded person.

3) Unrealistically Stupid Characters.

Example just from this episode: Rex had suspicions that there was a mole, and yet he brazenly asks for help from the very place he knows there could be a mole - hell they even have a trace program ready to run they are that sure there is a mole. A-Derp? really?

So they know there could be a mole yet they don't have armed guards ready with the explicit instructions that nobody move while they run their trace program, they just go about their business as usual letting the mole have time to set off an explosion killing other characters nobody cares about. You have to try hard to make me not care about the guy who plays Q in Star Trek.

Examples from earlier episodes: Gwen trying to smuggle her father out, and when he keels over on the way out she calls for help "oh god help him help him" - Nobody dies you nimrod, take him home.

That particular problem occurs in most episodes actually, they treat life as if it was happening regularly, the writers not exploiting the situation that they are in properly.

As sad as it is, Oswald Danes was actually the most believable character in this series. He was the only one who behaved like a real person, and he is a psychopathic child molester, wow. Good job Torchwood writing staff!

mepm

[7]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 2
    This series, just like miracle day is hard to take seriously in the doctor who universe. It makes no sense at all that he wouldn't show up with a global event/crisis like this. I would prefer it if this was somehow located in an alternate universe where there is no doctor or at least some explanation given as to why on two occasions he did not intervene.

At least with this series the event is terrestrial in origin which may at best try to explain why he wouldn't get involved being that it is humans against humans and no outside involvement (that we know of).

thechosenonecj

[8]Sep 10, 2011
    I kind of understand why the doctor wouldn't show up. A recent episode of Dr Who says the Tardis doesn't always take him where he wants to go, but where he NEEDS to go. So maybe the Tardis just knows that Jack and his gang will eventually handle the situation and therefore the Doctor isn't need to be there. Although there's no doubting that the situation would have long been solved if he did turn up.

thribs

[9]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 8

Why was UNIT not involved in this? Their organisation makes more sense to tackle this than the CIA!

supaman007

[11]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 4

I thought the same thing as MasterChief43 , Jacks blood wasn't altered when Rose revived him and accidentally made him a fixed point in time.

I interpreted the things we saw and heard like this:

If you follow the "Jacks blood is special" theory, there could be an explanation for Rex now being immortal. If Jack and Rex had the same blood they would or could have looked the same to the blessing, therefore when the blessing reversed the "human template" they both would have become immortal. The woman in Shanghai said both Jack and Rex would be drained of their blood, but it probably meant they just wouldn't have enough to survive (notice them still having some blood when they "died").

This wasn't the best torchwood season in my opinion and Rex now being immortal is kind of stupid (and it also makes me a little bit curious), but I still found it entertaining. I also hope they will make a fifth season, because torchwood is still great in my opinion.

haldrey

[12]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 22
    Classic episode, had the Torchwood feel all over it, great story telling with a bunch of unexplainable things. Jack now have a brother, that alone will make the next season interesting.

r00li

[13]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 8
    Finally! Torchwood is back!

This whole season was a bit on the crappy side compared to the other Torchwood season, but this episode was great. Full of action, drama and typical torchwood things. So I still have hope that this could get better in the next season (if there will be a next season). OK Children of the earth were better than this, but this last episode was ok too.

What I would like now is this - torchwood needs a new "base" and become the old thing again, because Torchwood shouldn't be just a name. Second thing - get the story back to UK. And third and proabably most important - we need ailiens. Torchwood was about ailens and technology from other planets. And something that I know won't happen, but it should - get rid of the American influence. Rex can stay but anything else is a no-go.

badtripssuck

[14]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 1
    Damn that series was boring and drawn out. I didn't feel any suspense for anything happening. I just really didn't care about anything going on in this series.
    If this would have aired in the fall when more stuff was on I would have most likely stopped watching it or left it on my dvr for a long period of time. If there is another season I'll give it another shot but if its anything like this last one I'll stop watching it after that. I certainly wouldn't pay for a premium channel to watch it. I got starz free for having hbo and showtime through my provider. If I was actually paying for it I probably would have cancelled it after episode 4.

kijaboy971

[15]Sep 11, 2011
    • level: 1
    I didn't like Miracle Day. Rex was the worst character. And where were the aliens ? I miss the 456.

firlefanz10

[16]Sep 11, 2011

And the fact that Jack mentioned the Doctor didn't make it any better. If I hadn't known this to be Torchwood it might have just as well been any other kind of mystery series.

If thre's gonan be another season they better make a whoooole lot more interesting, fast paced and consistent...

willgk82

[17]Sep 11, 2011
    • level: 5
    In my opinion this was a spin-off series alone, to get the US ready and comfortable with a Torchwood, i believe Torchwood in itself will carry on, and now that there's a second immortal, there will be new shenanigans in the united states ran as a different show.

kanniballl

[18]Sep 11, 2011
    • level: 18

Yeh, it's been stated a whole bunch that Jack isn't biologically immortal.

The only thing that I think, is that when the Blessing decided to "toggle" everyone between mortal / immortal, that it toggled both Jack and Rex... because it thought Rex was like Jack since it had Jack's blood (like an ID).

As for why the blood worked in general, Jack was on Earth and thus "present" in the Blessing's sphere of influence / knowledge. Therefore when it was "fed" Jack's blood it said "ah, Jack is an immortal... I'll made everyone as immortal as I can." But since it was 6bil+ people he couldn't make them full Jack-immortals.

Now there's no, no problem.

Anyway, without ANY techno-babble (even a wibbly-wobbly / like a bananna / etc babble) that's as much thought as I dare put into it.

It wasn't a great season.

dragon22a

[19]Sep 11, 2011
    • level: 32
    If I am not mistaken, when someone has a blood transfusion, their body still creates its own cells and eventually your real blood will become dominant again and the transfused blood will basically work its way out of the system. So while Rex may be immortal because of Jacks blood in his system, His body may eventually equalize and he will become mortal again. At most, he may live much longer than most people. I really hope that Rex is not immortal for good. I would prefer that Jack stay the only one of his kind.

lpdavisjr

[20]Sep 11, 2011
    Was it the best season for Torchwood? Probably not. However, it wasn't so bad that it would stop me from watching this show. When the show first aired, I figured everyone who joined Torchwood would die except for Jack in the end. As for Rex becoming immortal, they probably should've just killed him off. I think if he does remain a member of Torchwood for the next series, his immortality should be temporary or they should find a role for him in the grand scheme of things (like all of The Doctor's other companions).