Torchwood: Miracle Day Forums

Starz (ended 0000)

The New World

haldrey

[1]Jul 11, 2011
    • level: 22

Still no thread for the premier so please use this one.

Strange opening and then some familiar faces. No loss what so ever by the move of Torchwood from the UK to the US at least in this first episode. Great great premier, waiting for the next one.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kanniballl

[2]Jul 12, 2011
    • level: 18

All in all, it was OK... not great, but not too bad. Though I liked it more than most of the "Children of Earth" storyline.

I guess they did a good of a job as they could with the whole "introduction" part of the show. They tried to make it accessible to people that haven't seen Torchwood before while still making it enjoyable for those you have. I liked Jack's introduction... I kept waiting / wondering when they were going to reveal him... I thought they might wait until the end. End then the camera turns and there is is.

There are obviously some differences, including a very "American" moment towards the end. The whole one-liner followed by an RPG striking a helicopter that just narrowly misses them as it crashes... SOMEONE is enjoying their new special-FX budgetSmile

Honestly, if I wasn't already a Torchwood fan I might not have enjoyed it enough to continue watching. The whole mystery of what's happening is catching my attention well enough and a few twists were nice. If I wasn't a fan of Torchwood already though, then there's a solid chance I wouldn't watch the show... save for the fact that it's the summer and there's little on.

The only thing I'm unclear on: is Jack now the only Mortal left on Earth OR is he just as breakable as everyone else (no dying, but no magic regeneration either). Like they showed the parallel of the blonde agent and himself looking at their bruises + cuts, so is he like everyone else or COMPLETELY mortal.

My favorite moments:

- The CIA agent constantly whining about the bridge toll, particularly his little rant when he meets Gwen.

- Gwen's one liner and Rambo moment

- Jack's appearance

- Jack commenting on "what if we cut off the head." Settle down now, wait your turnSmile

- Gwen and husband's little shotgun moments when strangers come calling

- Just before it aired, the US got some interviews of the characters. I thought they were quite well-done.

- The whole "being freed" thing was a bit much, I'm fairly certain that people have failed to die in the execution chairs due to malfunction and they weren't simply let free. The either got life or another attempt. A pedophile + killer, seriously?

Edited on 07/12/2011 2:18pm

lynna12000

[3]Jul 12, 2011
    • level: 21
    kanniballl wrote:

All in all, it was OK... not great, but not too bad. Though I liked it more than most of the "Children of Earth" storyline.

I guess they did a good of a job as they could with the whole "introduction" part of the show. They tried to make it accessible to people that haven't seen Torchwood before while still making it enjoyable for those you have. I liked Jack's introduction... I kept waiting / wondering when they were going to reveal him... I thought they might wait until the end. End then the camera turns and there is is.

There are obviously some differences, including a very "American" moment towards the end. The whole one-liner followed by an RPG striking a helicopter that just narrowly misses them as it crashes... SOMEONE is enjoying their new special-FX budgetSmile

Honestly, if I wasn't already a Torchwood fan I might not have enjoyed it enough to continue watching. The whole mystery of what's happening is catching my attention well enough and a few twists were nice. If I wasn't a fan of Torchwood already though, then there's a solid chance I wouldn't watch the show... save for the fact that it's the summer and there's little on.

The only thing I'm unclear on: is Jack now the only Mortal left on Earth OR is he just as breakable as everyone else (no dying, but no magic regeneration either). Like they showed the parallel of the blonde agent and himself looking at their bruises + cuts, so is he like everyone else or COMPLETELY mortal.

My favorite moments:

- The CIA agent constantly whining about the bridge toll, particularly his little rant when he meets Gwen.

- Gwen's one liner and Rambo moment

- Jack's appearance

- Jack commenting on "what if we cut off the head." Settle down now, wait your turnSmile

- Gwen and husband's little shotgun moments when strangers come calling

- Just before it aired, the US got some interviews of the characters. I thought they were quite well-done.

- The whole "being freed" thing was a bit much, I'm fairly certain that people have failed to die in the execution chairs due to malfunction and they weren't simply let free. The either got life or another attempt. A pedophile + killer, seriously?

The American legal system is weird, and I believe those kinds of loopholes do exist. Besides, it's TV, and jailbreaks have been done too many times in recent television history.

I agree with the 'American moment at the end' comment. But overall, it was pretty well done.

I'm going with the theory that the natural state of everyone has been reversed. People who previously could die, now can't. And in Jacks case, immortals are all too mortal. I wouldn't want to test the theory on Jack though.

The morgue scene was my favorite as well. Especially with Jack posing as 'Owen Harper'. It was VERY appropriate. I could easily see Owen voluteering to weild the saw.

Looking forward to the next episode

tommy0122

[4]Jul 14, 2011
    • level: 12

Saw it.....liked it. I had been watching it before, but I think new viewers might be a little confused. A few more episodes and everyone will be comfortable with the US version. The one thing that the US version has going for it is much better special effects. Gwen has packed on some extra pounds in the mean time. I think she will find out that Americans are much more "visual" than the British. The Brits don't seem to focus on their appearance as much as Americans do.

kanniballl

[5]Aug 2, 2011
    • level: 18

tommy0122 wrote:

Gwen has packed on some extra pounds in the mean time. I think she will find out that Americans are much more "visual" than the British. The Brits don't seem to focus on their appearance as much as Americans do.

It doesn't bother me, and I'm an America. I think she still looks fine, and an actor's / actress's abilities (and how much they can rope me in) is more important to me than looks.

I mean, Gwen / Eve is/was attractive but she was never "model hot" on Torchwood, which is what you normally see on American TV now-a-days. Here, too often the producers try to find the hottest girl in her early 20's that can act a little.

Besides, it fits the story... on the show she recently gave birth and gave up the "running around fighting monsters" thing a while ago. She's not going to be as "fit" as she when she was a cop / agent / etc.

For example, the actress that plays the main character on "In Plain Sight" is VERY pregnant (not just the baby bump). But it doesn't take away from her character... she's still the same character.

Then again, I'm not your average American viewer. I'm sure "in general" the viewing public might prefer the blonde be the main character over Eve. Then again, the blonde "character" is acting so "blonde." Seriously, you're hiding from the entire country/world and you keep blowing your cover? I thought you worked for the CIA?

Edited on 08/02/2011 6:58am
    Edited 2 total times.