Torchwood: Miracle Day Forums

Starz (ended 2011)

UK FANS: Is Torchwood too American now?

machloop

[21]Aug 21, 2011
    • level: 8

If you need any more proof that the Yankie influence has ruined this show just wait till you see next weeks Gay-boy special 'immortal sins'.

Get them back - quick!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MrShotShot

[22]Aug 22, 2011
    • level: 15
    machloop wrote:

If you need any more proof that the Yankie influence has ruined this show just wait till you see next weeks Gay-boy special 'immortal sins'.

Get them back - quick!

Have you never watched the show before?

r00li

[23]Aug 25, 2011
    I am not British or American and the new show is not "real" torchwood anymore.

I still very much like it but it lost something that the old torchwood had. Some episodes literaly made me lean forward with anticipation, while others simply made me cry. While the new episodes are good, they sadly aren't so emotional as the original ones. What I do like is sex. It is good to see a TV show where you can actualy see something - I didn't see any TV show made around year 2000 and forward that had this much nudity. But - can we get more?

kanniballl

[24]Sep 2, 2011
    • level: 18

MaximusPrimal wrote:

While thesubstanceof the new plot is okay - no one is dying, how do we deal with the population increase and burden on resources - the plot is also slow. One thing I liked about Children Of The Earth is that it got up and running very fast and hooked you in. This new series is way more sedate and being 10 episodes long is more fitting with American show lengths. So it seems they have padded the story out to make it last as long as they need.

-------------------------------------

Actually, American shows typically run 20+ episodes a year (22,25,etc).

If Miracle Day was following that path, then the storyline progression would be alright. 8-of-22 in and they at least have a "name" of the bad guy, cool.

But with only 10 episodes, the story progression is just too slow. Either they'll wrap it up quickly or turn it into a multi-season thing. But I'd heard that S2 was not a guarantee.

I have to agree that I'm not liking the show so much... though I don't know how much of it is "American-ization" vs "just some new execs are trying to push things a certain way." True, they're probably Americans....

Compared to other American shows of high quality (yes, there are a few) it's quite an odd duck. And this is compared to other shows I've liked that shared production between the US and Canada/France/etc.

RobertRath

[25]Sep 2, 2011
    • level: 26

The biggest problem is Jack and Gwen are now just cut out characters...they took what made them them and cored them right out and put the American characters in the forefront.

chaznet

[26]Sep 4, 2011
    • level: 11

Miracle Day is great, not sure what all the whining here is about -- I lost interest in the previous Torchwoods waaay back, you had to watch 10 awfully written episodes for each good one, not worth the time. If you're into thing-of-the-week episodic TV, then that would explain things. This is a 10-episode story arc, with much better writing than previous seasons.

My only critique would be that it would make for better viewing if I had all 10 episodes to watch at my own pace, without a week in between each one.

machloop

[27]Sep 5, 2011

kanniballl wrote:

Actually, American shows typically run 20+ episodes a year (22,25,etc). But with only 10 episodes, the story progression is just too slow. Either they'll wrap it up quickly or turn it into a multi-season thing. But I'd heard that S2 was not a guarantee.

Yes, American shows will have twenty odd episodes but not of the same story. This drivel is too watered down to be entertaining. Slow moving ? Its glacial.

I do hope season two is not taken up, this lot has been a real backward step. But for new readers, I can tell them that episode nine is good and all you need to watch to set you up for the finale - give the first eight episodes a wide berth.

machloop

[28]Sep 5, 2011

chaznet wrote:

My only critique would be that it would make for better viewing if I had all 10 episodes to watch at my own pace, without a week in between each one.

Well that is easily achieved, just download them via TPB and you can view at your own pace. But would you manage to sit through the first eight hours to get to the real start ?

kanniballl

[29]Sep 6, 2011

machloop wrote:

Yes, American shows will have twenty odd episodes but not of the same story. This drivel is too watered down to be entertaining. Slow moving ? Its glacial.

I do hope season two is not taken up, this lot has been a real backward step. But for new readers, I can tell them that episode nine is good and all you need to watch to set you up for the finale - give the first eight episodes a wide berth.

No, what I was saying is...

US shows tend to be 22+ episodes. And that the pacing of Miracle Day was like they were trying to drag out the Miracle Day story (with the same amount of content) across 22 episodes... slow, too much filler, etc. Like they took a typical UK mini-series length, and tried stretching it like so-much-taffy. BUT then realized "oh, we didn't need to stretch it because we're only doing 10."

With only 10 episodes, so they should've been able to make a decent run of it.

Starz has done some great stuff in the past, which is why this is so disappointing.

I see it less as a problem with "Americanization" and more of a problem with "dumb twits trying to change the show around that have no clue what they're doing... that happen to be American"

kanniballl

[30]Sep 6, 2011

I'd like to add...

America has some good TV, but it also has a lot of dreck.

The ONLY American re-do of a British show I liked was "Life on Mars" (if you ignore the last 5 minutes of the series).

And that was ONLY because as an American I can relate to 70's New York culture better than 70's UK culture. Since those cars, clothes, etc were still around during my childhood.

darkoverorg

[31]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 6

John Barrowman and Eve Myles still bring a real Torchwood feeling to the show. They might be a little bit americanized, but maybe that is just a natural progression for the series (you will notice alot of changes on their characters during the first 3 seasons).

Bill Pullman was great, no question. And so was John de Lancie

Now ... Alexa Havins and Mekhi Phifer .... God save us. They tried to hard to destroy the show. Bad acting on top of bad characters. What were they thinking ? This is not "people who failed their auditions for CSI". This is Torchwood. Show some respect, please. And do I even need to comment on Lauren Ambrose ?

machloop

[32]Sep 10, 2011

Heather_H wrote:

What do you reckon?

Well, now its finished I can say as a Torchwood series it was crap. The idea to spin this one story out to ten episodes was one hell of a mistake. Indeed, the last two episodes are a great show on their own and the first eight were just a mistake.

This had better change for the next series but maybe now we also have an immortal yank we'll never get rid of them.

StephenCaine

[33]Sep 16, 2011
    • level: 1

As a UK viewer I am bitterly disappointed with this series4.

We used to see it as an Adult branch off from Doctor Who...the whole thing revolving around various aliens and artefacts, the show was fresh and compulsive viewing. Unfortunately we now aren't particularly bothered about another series and the most oft heard statemrent over here is...''It just isn't Torchwood any more''...and that's sad!

It now lacks the sparkle of Torchwood and has definitely become too American.

I love many US shows but I wished they had left Torchwood as thoroughly British.