Torchwood: Miracle Day

Rendition

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 15, 2011 on Starz

• Great show as always with an interesting plot but I do have a few small concerns after watching episodes 1 & 2.

While I understand a lot of the back-story needs to be re-established for the new US audience and the 'Miracle day' plot itself needs to take shape, however, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that so little has happened in the first two episodes. Granted, we've had explosions and fire-fights etc but when you take away all these effects your left with two episodes where Gwen and Jack got reunited and then extradited to the United States. At the end of the second episode they was only just leaving the airport. This is my only small complaint so far as I was hoping it would be far more fast paced than this.
    I'm hoping this complaint will be mute by the end of the next episode because I must admit, they have introduced a lot of mini sub-plots within the show so I guess this allows them to stretch the show out. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together, especially the plot surrounding that convicted sex offender who got released.
  • Forget what you felt about old Torchwood, this is fun TV in its own right.

So I watched this without feeling the need to break my reviewing hiatus until I read Tim Surette's recap and he mentioned that somehow people are complaining about this.

So, what gives? I mean, I haven't read any of this alleged criticism, but I just don't see the room for it. Well, wait, I guess I do see how loyalist fans might go all angry cultist on a change of cast and a US reboot on principle. And yeah, ok, this being technically Doctor Who fandom-related, the anti-RTD nerd squad might not be willing to give it a chance, but here's the thing:

It's fun.

No, seriously. Continuity, nerdiness and all that crap aside, this is great, great fun. American TV is so often stuck between either too weighty stuff, like Breaking Bad or Walking Dead, and fluff that is so overmarketed that it just doesn't feel enjoyable, like Hawaii Five-0 or Bones. Where else in TV can you find a fun action romp with a playful attitude and great characterization? The fact that the chemistry between the leads and, surprisingly, also between the new cast members, comes built in also helps.

As for this episode, yeah, a bunch of time was spent doing the equivalent of a very hectic cooking show McGiver-style, and I get how the setting might be a bit off-putting to some, but hey, coming from Doctor Who I can tell you that ripping off flooring beats pointing a lantern at a pipe for a faux-action scene. Meanwhile, I'm once again glad that Eve Myles came with the premise because, let's be honest, there's no way she'd be cast on anything like this built from the ground up, but she makes me chuckle every time she acts annoyed or argy at anything. In fact, she's at her best when adding little glances or quips in the middle of casual situations, and less when trying to deliver cheesy badass lines, which she's struggled with for two episodes now.

Beyond that, the ability to make every bit character and small situation into a memorable moment still sets this apart from any other action series currently on TV. Let's all agree that this is intended to be in the same league as Alphas or Warehouse 13 (if not Human Target and all that "action" crap) aaaand that it's the best in the category, too (I'm giving Alphas a chance to prove me wrong, though).

So hey, haters be damned, I'm fully on board. I'll try to enjoy it, too, in case global stupidity fixes "The Miracle" and kills the show (seriously, how meta is that premise?).
  • Oh dear Oh dear, being taken back to the US......

5.5
    and our heroes, ie Gwen and Jack, are in trouble. At least he is. This turned into a quite daft 'passenger ill on the flight and we must save him with what means are to hand' episode.

We knew that resourceful Gwen would save him - after all he is immortal(normally) and doesn't die until millenia in the future as the Face of Bo. (see Dr Who, not the present one, the David Tennant incarnation)

It does make things tricky when you can't kill anyone, not even by turning their head through 180°.

Sorry, but must do better!
  • Rendition

Rendition was a superb episode of Torchwood: Miracle Day and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of action, drama, suspense, intrigue and surprise. This episode brought the new Torchwood crew together through impossible circumstances. Esther and Rex inadvertently find themselves being used in a bigger plot having to to do with the destruction of every thing and every one related to Torchwood. I liked the last scenes where Rex, Jack and Gwen barely escape the clutches of these unknown foes. I look forward to watching the next episode of Torchwood: Miracle Day!!!!!!!

• Great to see Torchwood back on our screens!

I honestly thought Torchwood had died a death after Season 3. Was a bit wary about it crossing the pond to the US and what that would do to the dynamic, but so far it's working well. Also thrilled to discover it's a full Season as when I originally heard about Miracle Day, I read that it was a three-parter. Brilliant to see Eve Myles and John Barrowman falling back into their roles so well. Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.