Torchwood

Captain Jack Harkness

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 01, 2007 on BBC Two

• To Captain Jack!

This was a great episode that let us know Jack a little better. It's good to see a Tosh heavy episode because I was beginning to think she wasn't all that important, but this definitely changed my mind!

To the haters who disliked that last scene... well people do crazy things when they think they might die. And it wasn't our Jack's fault, the old Jack decided to make the move to go for what he wanted. It might have been unlike the time period but I think it's not impossible.

Also did anyone else notice the vote saxon sign on the front of the building? :D
  • Capt Jack and Tish find themselves trapped in the past.

While I liked bits and pieces of the episode most of it rings hollow. Like the fact that back in the 1940's There is no way in heck that 2 guys would EVER dance together let alone kiss. And in real life the "real" Capt Jack would have been beaten by his fellow soldiers and then put into prison. So for a bunch of idiots to act like this was some great love story is really quite pathetic. The scene where they kiss was not the least bit romantic. But most of the Torchwood episodes end in disappointment after a really good build up. It's like you want to watch everything but the ending of these shows.
  • That kiss...

This episode was fantastic, despite a very contrived plot. How does this gibberish equation open the rift, and why is it split into several pieces? Why does Gwen know where to look and how did these pieces of paper not get thrown out over the years? Why didn't the two Jacks get lynched for dancing together at a military function in the 1940s?

But if you ignore all the silliness of the plot (as is often necessary in sci-fi shows, especially those involving time travel), this episode is incredibly touching. We get a lot more development on most of the characters, which I think the show has been lacking at times. Ianto finally grows a pair, plus I was glad to see Owen get what's been coming to him. Ugh, he's been getting irritating. And that kiss at the end... just wow. I have to give John Barrowman and Matt Rippy credit for a very convincing, very emotional kiss. It was so romantic and tragic. Absolutely beautiful.

• Torchwood Jack pretty much killed the original Jack.

2.3
    This episode was rediculous in parts and good in parts. THe mysterious geezer bit was interesting. But leaving a piece of paper in a box and expecting it to survive is only less moronic then the last scene. Given the time and feelings I can only assume that Torchwood Jack is responisble for the death of the original Jack. Numerous story have been told of soldiers killing their homosexual commanding officers. Doing what he did in front of everyone would of in the least caused him to be kicked out of the military and at worst killed "in an accident" by his own men.
  • The rift opens and Jack and Tosh get stuck in the 1941 Cardiff Blitz. Oh, and Captain Jack really isn't Captain Jack.

This episode is wonderfully bananas. We come to find out that we don't even know our hero's real name(!) because he took the REAL Captain Jack Harkness's identity as an alias when he was a conman. (Should of seen that coming after all its a RTD show.) I mean you think this episode couldn't get any wackier, and then Jack falls in love with the REAL Jack. And we cant forget while all this moving romance is going on Owen and Ianto are fist fightin' over whether they should use the Rift Manipulator to get Tosh&Jack back. Although this episode has its crazy moments, the scenes between Jack&Jack are really beautiful and heartbreaking to watch, and Tosh and Jack's closeness as friends is really cute. Also gotta love the Vote Saxon and Bad Wolf references in this episode. I absolutely love this episode, brilliantly written and my favorite of Series 1.
  • A really poignant and revealing episode

I know there are some out there who won't like the gay kiss, to whom I say 'get over it!' I remember many years ago when Eastenders had a half second kiss between two men and that was complained about.

The episode contains so much more and reveals a lot about Captain Jack, including the fact he's not the original one! The trapped in time theme is interesting and the relationship between Tosh and the two Jacks really comes across well. Maybe it's the 40s setting - who knows. But it's a really good story, where the paranormal bit isn't paramount; though you do get to know more about Ianto and Owen too.

And at the end there is something really touching, and not sexual, about the dance between the two Jacks. It's an unrequited love story.
  • Great historical episode.

Of all the times for Jack to take Tosh with him, it's the time they end up in 1941 when being Japanese is enough to cause insults, luckily Pearl Harbor hasn't happened yet.

Power struggle – Ianto actually gave Gwen an order which she obeyed. Owen and Ianto's spat was really ugly. Ianto doesn't have the power to stop him yet still had the guts to shoot him. That was the right move even if it worked out and got Tosh and Jack back.

Jack – or whatever his real name is – took the name of the real Captain Harkness. More mysteries about Jack. It's interesting – in the pilot, Gwen's research said 'Jack Harkness' disappeared during the Blitz yet Jack knows that he died – Jack altered his records. Jack cannot control his magnetism, he unintentionally seduces an otherwise straight man… without even doing anything! Everyone was staring! Jack's never been afraid of a spectacle.
  • The penultimate, and best, episode of Torchwood Series 1.

This episode was almost too beautiful for me to describe it with mere words. In fact, it IS impossible. To get the full idea of just how magical "Captain Jack Harkness," both the men and the episode, are, you must see the show, or at least the pictures and also hear the music. I do not even know why this episode affected me so deeply, but I have watched it at least fifteen times since it aired (a couple weeks ago on American telly). My friends fear for my sanity, as I have become obsessed and can talk of nothing but Torchwood and "Jack and Jack". Before this, I watched Torchwood every week, and liked it very much, but I fell in love with it in the last five minutes of this episode. I repeat my urgent message: you must watch this show! I am sorry about how woefully inadequate and uneloquent this review is, but like I said, there are just no words to describe the beauty that is "Captain Jack Harkness". Captain Jack and Captain Jack are about the best couple on television--even though they only lasted for about twenty minutes, all told. I am almost sure I cried when "Our Jack" left "Other Jack." Oh, and I also am pretty sure I was the only person who didn't pick up on the clues about their feelings until Jack comes back from [ostensibly] going to see Nancy. Am I that clueless?

Anyway, my point is, go watch "Captain Jack Harkness" immediately. It will change your life. And your opinion of gay relationships, if you're one of those hater-types. Watch it now! ...It's what I'm doing.
  • O...kay and that's yet another thing you will never see on Heroes (or Lost or well, you know the drill).

As a XXI century woman I can hardly understand the fascination with the WWII period. I would go mad without my cell-phone, the internet, TV and the thought of never see a digital camera or listen an iPod again just makes me cry. How could anyone enjoy live music when there's no DJ around or dance in an old ballroom when everyone one knows & cares about is not gonna be there for at least 50 years? And Jack is supposed to be from the 51 century?! How could he not miss a thing?

Then again, at least Jack has the chance to live through the period and show up at the hub just moments after he crossed to the past right before Ianto shoots Owen like nothing has happened. Toshiko, however, is not which is what makes the last letter to her family so heartbreaking. Also heartbreaking, is Owen and Ianto's confrontation because I fear that Owen is projecting his own feelings of inadequacy towards Gwen on what Ianto and the Captain might feel for one another. After all, if anyone has been regarded as someone's "part-time shag" here it's him and yet I can't help but wonder if he could be right about Ianto, especially when Jack's last act on the XX century is to cheat on him with the original Captain Jack Harkness, the man he stole his name from.
  • Jack and Tosh find themselves trapped in the year 1941 unable to get back, with bombs falling, an the Real Jack Harkness.

My favorite episode!! Who knew the real Jack would be as handsome as our Jack? Who knew the was a "Real" Jack? Jack(our Jack) looks into the face of the young man whose name he stole and who he can't save. You learn abit more about Jack in each episode and alot more in this one. The dance hall scene did call up so major Brian and Justin prom Queer as Folk memories for me. Maybe thats why I liked it so much.
  • Carpe Diem

At first, I thought, "Oh, no...not another time warp episode. Can't the writers think of other stuff?" But this one turned out to be a good addition for the series: it tapped into the main character of Jack and the reason Torchwood is around and introduced an antagonist who is spooky and will be featured later on.

Sets and costumes are usually pretty good on the show, and this one, set in 1941, is no exception. Toshiko is believable, Owen is his usual brass self, still haunted by the time-traveling love of two episodes back, and Ianto comes off with some backbone, though he gets easily bested in a fight.

The show even had a theme of sorts--live for the moment--which I try to remember when the series falters in logic and is simple entertainment value only.
  • Another sub-par episode.

5.9
    *warning: Spoilers herein*

So they ran out of people to shag and had to resort to Jack making out with "himself"?

And was I the only one who thought someone must've watched the Outer Limits episode with the timekeeper when they caste Bilis?

I think they rushed this too much. They've done all sorts of things with the characters before we've developed enough interest/empathy to really care. I think they should've followed the X-Files or Dr. Who pattern of focusing at first on the issues they're dealing with at work before basing partial/whole episodes on jealousy, rivalry and sex. Had they waited a little longer I might've cared but the characters are still too new for me to empathize.

I feel like they've developed Owen and Tosh, and they've been trying to flesh out Gwen, and this was their attempt to develop Jack's backstory, but it just didn't really work for me.

Maybe it was just too anachronistic. Or maybe Jack has just been set up as such a slut I find it hard that he would form some kind of emotional/intimate bond with a guy in a few hours - even if he does feel sorry for him & take his identity.

So this is supposed to be part of the grand season finale but I don't really care about cheatin' Gwen, robotic Ianto, sleazy/angst-ridden Owen, insecure Tosh, or the inexplainable/inscrutable Jack -- ergo I don't really care what happens in part 2.
  • Best Episode, No Contest.

Something original, clever and tragic, exactly what Torchwood should be.

A very clever twist, Tosh meeting the man who's identity Jack stole, passing messages through time to try and get back safely, emotions running high. Oh it was brilliant.

A little bit more of Jack (Is that his real name?) is revealed , Owen seems somewhat rash and crazed, Ianto shows backbone, Tosh keeps a level head and Gwen tries not to panic. And finally an element of mystery in the weird dude who wonders around and obviously know more than he lets on. Very good, if only every episode was as good as this.
  • A return to form, for both Jack and the show as a whole.

Jack and Toshiko are called on to investigate strange 1940s music coming from a deserting dance hall. Seemingly all seems normal – at least until they are pulled through the rift and transported back in time….

I have to say to begin with, that it is great to see the flirty Jack back (as evidenced by the way he twirled Tosh round the dancefloor and the way he talked to the different RAF officers) – it's a side of Jack that has been sorely missed this series (I understand the reasons behind it – but it doesn't make the absence less wrenching).

I think I liked the subtle transition between the present day and 1941 nearly as much as Jack did. Just a shame there was no Moonlight Serenade to complete the fangirly geek!out. And everyone in the 1940's had ace hair too! Again the production department really pulled out the stops and created a very believable world.

And look at how easy it is to disappear down a crack in time. (Maybe it can explain a number of missing people cases, or 'alien abductions'. Actually that would be really cool.) I take it that the rift is constantly moving which is why they didn't just go back downstairs again. Temporal distortions are very confusing. I think I need Stephen Fry to explain it to me in small, easy to understand words.

Am I the only one ever so slightly worried by the fact that Owen is second-in-command? He's hardly the most stable of people, well, generally (Although, who else could Jack have picked? (Tosh!! For she is the most sensible of them all))

Ianto's little barb at Owen (him not being in work lately) was a very nice little touch. It's nice to see antagonism that doesn’t degenerate into punching or rolling around on the floor of the Hub.

Who is this mysterious Saxon? (A massive 'Vote Saxon' poster was on the door of the dance hall) You may remember his name being mentioned by the Tank commander as the bloke who gave the order to fire on the Empress of Racnoss' ship.

What's happened to Harriet? *worries* Is her Golden Age over so quickly? Didn’t she go to three terms or something? But maybe this mysterious Saxon is heading up the MoD or something, staying behind the scenes and pulling the strings?

Is this next year's Bad Wolf for Doctor Who and Torchwood?

Nearly every member of the team has a little secret of Jack's: Tosh now knows that Jack isn't his name, Gwen knows he can't die and Ianto knows that he likes games involving stopwatches. Goodness only knows what Owen's got on him, or Suzie.

Who is Jack?

It's going to be speculation fodder now until we get the Jack!episodes in Doctor Who. The Time Agent thing is presumably true. He's not a Captain, which explains the outcomes of quite a few events. He's certainly not called Jack Harkness. And who is James Harper? Is it his friend who he persuaded to join up with him and died? Is it one of a multitude of false identities our!Jack has at his disposal? Has he be working undercover so long that he doesn't know who he really is?

Would they even have 'normal' names like ours three thousand years in the future? Or would it be just a series of numbers or clicks and whistles? Who says that the dominant language is even English in that great distance of time?

Sometimes I wonder if he's really a Time Agent. He may be conning them, but it doesn't mean that he actually worked for them. I'm sure a highly trained Time Agent wouldn't unleash a plague of nanogenes on an unsuspecting city, turning everyone into gas-masked zombies, nearly get himself blown up by a German bomb and get himself a spaceship that has now escape pod.

Then again, look at how good Team Torchwood are. They're supposed to be highly-trained operatives too. Which is why you send up with Ianto and Owen rolling round on the floor of the Hub, obviously.

Loved Bilis. He was very creepy, his agenda isn't being spelt out to us and I find him a bit disconcerting. This is all good.

Of course this episode has thrown up lots of intriguing questions; what is Jack's real name? Ianto seems a lot more in control and aware of Torchwood's situation – how much does he know that he's not telling us?

This is probably my favourite episode of the series and one I'll be going back to watch again and again because there's still so much to get out of the episode. I sincerely hope that Cath Treganna will be writing episodes again for the next series.
  • A sweat provoking episode

After this episode which is a pre-sequel of End of Days, everyone starts to wonder what's gonna happen next. There are bags of things in this episode leading towards next one, much more like a jigsaw that relies on viewers to put them together though all must be told by the writer. The rift under the millennium square in Cadiff can be traced back to hundreds years ago, a continous story based on two episodes of Doctor Who 2005, The Unquiet Dead and Boomtown. Although the final creature coming through the rift is a bit cheesy since it's quite similar to the Satan Pit, Russell T Davis and his team still pulled this season final double bills off. Apart from the story, the team members of Torchwood always catch people's attention since everyone holds an implicit story that usually causes dramatic ramifications their sexuality in particular. Jack, an imposter of Capitain Jack Harkness who died in Cadiff blaze in WWII finally got meet with the real one to whom he found out was sexually attracted. The producers and cast in Torchwood Confidential seemed to avoid talking about the kiss between the two and deteriorate the sexual meaning behind. I think it was amazingly and eccentrically attracted to me and was an wonderful wrap-up of the episode
  • Captian jack harkness meets a pilot with a familar name

While investigating a haunted dance hall
    jack and tosh find themselves back in the 40s
    the place now filled with american service men and ladies looking for a good time.
    Owen attempt to use toshes equations to open the rift fully and rescue there team mates but they are incomplete .
    While trying to find a way to get the rest of her notes back to the present tosh and jack meet an american airforce pilot
    captain jack harkness.Jack and er jack seem to hit it off
    and our jack offers advice about seizing the day(and to go after the girl)
    Tosh demands an explaination about the man with his name
    jack explains that h was once a conman ,he chose the name because the real jack will die during an german ambush in a few days.He then falsified the records and took his place to wait for the time agents to find his chula medical ship in london.

A good episode
    captain jack(2)seems a very sad man until he finds a connection with jack(1)
    dam this two jack thing is confusing
    It turns out that the other jack is interested in our hero and they even share a kiss before the rift opens and
    the have to leave

Well overlook the fact that everyone saw the kiss
    and in the 1940s he would have been been beaten to death by his collegues for being a queer
    but its only tv
  • The TimeWarp (Spoilers)

Having read some of the other reviews, I'm fully prepared for a lot of people disagreeing with me, but I really liked it. It’s taken eleven episodes, but we’ve finally got to it: an episode focused on Jack. Whilst there have been enigmatic hints and the odd clue here and there in the series so far, this one is all about him. As Jack and Toshiko investigate claims of music from the 1940s coming from a derelict dancehall, the two of them get pulled back to 1941. Whilst Owen and Ianto argue over the best way to get them back, and Gwen investigates the present-day hall, Jack and Toshiko meet a dashing and handsome young American soldier… called Captain Jack Harkness. As secret passions slowly burn at the dancehall, Owen makes a decision that could have serious consequences for all… A beautifully written episode (by ‘Out Of Time’ writer Catherine Tregenna) with some nicely-observed performances make this one of the strongest episodes of the series for me.

John Barrowman absolutely excels in this episode, bringing out a vulnerability and a tenderness in Jack that has not been seen before. Having previously assumed the name ‘Captain Jack Harkness’ from a deceased soldier, little did he ever realise he would meet the real man himself. And if having that awful knowledge of the fact than man will die isn’t bad enough, when he actually meets him… he kind of falls for him. The subtle attraction between the two men is played out nicely and never sensationally and the moment where Jack and… um, Jack are dancing together to the tune of ‘A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square’ was just beautiful- and I’ll admit to a manly tear or two. There was a nice performance by Matt Rippy as the real Jack Harkness too, and the scenes he played with John Barrowman were all great. Their kiss at the end has been quite controversial to some viewers but, to me, I just saw it as no different to anyone saying goodbye to someone they had shared an intimate moment with. The only thing that I did think was a bit off was when Jack looked back and saw Jack saluting. Not needed.

Naoko Mori also impressed me in this episode. Toshiko was a good foil to Jack in the 1941 scenes, and her intrepid attempts to safeguard the equation was good. I liked her awkwardness at the dance, too. Her empathy for Jack and his situation was also nicely done. The little power struggle between Ianto and Owen back at Torchwood Hub was very interesting. Arguably the two characters that have had the least interaction throughout the series, their little set-tos were great and played nicely by both men. I’ve never been the biggest fan of Owen as a character (as he is always so arrogant) but his desire to be reunited with his lover Diane is something I can empathise with. A shame Gwen wasn’t really given much to do in the episode but a lot of legwork at the old dancehall. Also good was Murray Melvin as the sinister Bilis Manger, concierge of the Ritz dancehall in 1941 but seemingly also its caretaker in the present… without looking a year older. His slightly mannered way of speaking and over-enunciation was a little jarring to begin, but it worked. A few minor niggles, but overall, a superb episode.
  • The truth about Captain Jack is revealed

When Jack and Tosh went out on their routine ghostly disturbance call they didn't expect to be transported back to 1941. Whilst tackling the problems of being stuck in 1941 and Tosh being Japanese they come across something a little more interesting.

Jack is revealed to be a con man who took an army officers name. As the evening progresses so does both Jack's emotions and in the end Captain Jack takes some closure from getting to know the person he was pretending to be.

Owen, Ianto and Gwen meanwhile are following Tosh's clues and encounter a very strange man name Bilis Manger. Bilis is able to jump from 2006 to 1941 with great ease, and he doesn't seem to want Jack and Tosh to get back.

Owen disobeys all orders Jack ever left and opened the rift to bring Jack and Tosh back. I don't think it was a good idea and clearly Ianto thought the same as he shot Owen in the shoulder.

Bilis Manger is a well written and portrayed character and I look forward to seeing more of him.
  • This and the following episode "End of Days" are the best two episodes of the series. John Barrowman has never been better, getting a chance to show Jack's vulnerable side. If you didn't love Torchwood before seeing this episode, you will love i

It is impossible for me to watch this episode without crying. No other episode is this rich in character detail, emotion, and action. It is a well-crafted episode, easily the best of the series.

John Barrowman gets a chance to go from action hero to romantic, star-crossed lover, while still being every inch the hero, making Jack a truly intriguing character. We learn quite a lot about Ianto in this episode as well, gaining many hints about his hidden past, his true nature (certainly not "just a tea boy"), and his relationship with Jack.

I liked Torchwood before I saw this episode, but I loved it after I saw it.
  • A great episode... untill that kiss!

Checking out a haunted dance hall.. you can hear echoes of the past in fourties dance music. Then walking back up the stairs ... bang 1941 it is. Great atmosphere created here. The real captain Jack Harkness we see here. \"I didn\'t know he was so ...hot\" the fake Jack says in admiration. Thought that was quite funny at first. The creepy caretaker, don\'t know what he wants in this whole story, keeps going back and forth in time. Owen desperately trying to fix the Time rift machine, with Diane in his mind ofcourse. And when it all works out in the end, Jack is dancing with Jack and before he goes back to the future.. a passionate kiss.. The term \"so hot\" didn\'t seem funny to me. I don\'t like the Captain to be so gay... Therefore not a nine for this episode.
  • Jack and Tosh enter a time rift and return to 1941, where they find themselves at a dance party with the "real" Captain Jack Harkness.

We find out that our Jack Harkness is really not who he has claimed to be. Back in 1941, after the real Captain Jack Harkness died in a training exercise, our Jack took his identity.

Now that he has a chance to meet the real Jack Harkness, he tells Tosh that he never realized how "hot" he was. Hmmm... How hot he was, huh? Well, it turns out that our Captain Jack IS gay, and has his moment with the real Jack during this episode (and a big romantic kiss to boot).

As Jack and Tosh are stuck in 1941, Owen is desperate to get them back, knowing that he is to blame for opening the rift in the first place. He finally does succeed at finding the right part he needs to operate the rift machine, and the Torchwood gang is reunited.

It is an exciting, well acted episode, and one more of Captain Jack's secrets is revealed. He is gay. The scene between the 2 Jacks at the end is tastefully done, and very touching.
  • Identity Crisis Written by Cath Tregenna Directed by Ashley Way

Toshiko (re dance hall): “Has it been stolen?”
    Captain Jack: “No we have”.

Or should that be James Harper? I always did wonder when watching our bisexual conman in his Doctor Who debut “The Empty Child” and “The Doctor Dances” whether Jack Harkness was his real name or not.

This episode may take us back to the Blitz but for those of you expecting a bit more elaboration on the events prior to Jack meeting The Doctor and Rose Tyler, well hate to be the bearer of bad news but you won’t get that. On the plus side you’re in for an exciting hour nonetheless anyway.

What we get instead is both Captain Jack and Toshiko exploring a dance hall that had been previously derelict and due to a temporal shift, our two heroes wind up being stuck in 1941 which happens as soon as the dance hall comes alive with people from that era, a mystery old guy appears and then disappears and Jack comes up with the conclusion that they’re no longer in 2007.

For a double bill season finale and in a week where we’ve had “The Runaway Bride”, a preview to Doctor Who’s third season and The Sarah Jane Adventures pilot episode “Invasion Of The Bane” the start of this seemed pretty routine but not enough to suggest this episode would lack excitement.

First of all there’s the dream team of Captain Jack and Toshiko who I haven’t been shy in expressing my delight and whose double act and friendship is developed a lot better than the stuff we’ve seen between them in episodes like “Greeks Bearing Gifts” and whose attempts of blending in are interesting to say the least.

Fitting in for Jack like breathing, given his attire and mannerism, even if the term antiquated isn’t what I would use to describe our guy but poor Toshiko seems to stand out like a sore thumb during to olden attitudes of the time period in regards to her race but the two of them do blow their cover in less than five minutes of something a bit more silly.

Then again, Toshiko shouldn’t worry too hard because even if there is some randomly stupid girl who makes idiotic cracks about Toshiko’s race, the guys seems to love her especially a soldier named George who also had no problem with punching Jack in the face in order to spend more with the lovely computer expert and the only reason Jack was interrupting was because he needed Toshiko’s help in finding their way back to the present day.

Of course before this fight escalated into pure violence, both Jack and Toshiko’s bacon are saved by another charismatic lead soldier named Captain Jack Harkness of all people. Toshiko’s subtle but obvious facial expression of confusion nicely conveys just about what every audience member probably feels and thinks. There’s not one but two Captain Jack Harkness’? So, who is the real one and who is the phoney?

Well it turns out Our Jack is the phoney as the Real Jack died in battle the night after this particular event is happening and Jack adopted his identity and falsified his records to adopt his persona but for Jack it was taking a name as opposed to completely stealing an entire person’s life and no, I’m seriously not making excuses for him either.

If we had gotten something like this on Lost with Sawyer (and we have) in more recent, I wouldn’t care but for some odd reason I do care about this particular turn of events and the acting between John Barrowman and Matt Rippey carries this a lot.

As for the real Mr Harkness, put it this way – would you kick Matt Rippey out of bed? I don’t think so but insane prettiness and charisma aside, what is it about the Real Jack that is so interesting? Do you have all day?

Well first of all, I liked the fact that the Real Jack is someone you can sympathise with and someone our Jack seems to admire quite a bit. He’s kind, charismatic, loyal and a little repressed as well as his relationships with a girl named Nancy (not from “The Empty Child”/“The Doctor Dances”) and his soldiers emphasise.

Let’s deal with his soldiers first as his relationship with them shows a repression that even Jack unnerves as dangerous. Soldiers always go into war but never inform their fellow comrades about how scary and dangerous thing can get in there. Real Jack unfortunately is just like that and it’s an intense conversation between him and Our Jack that enlightens viewers on the duality of being brave and feeling scared at the same time. To be fair, Our Jack should also take heed of his own words and let his own crew in about the real dangers that surround them.

Then there’s the relationship between Real Jack and the rather clingy Nancy. Real Jack hardly wanted to interact with her and its Our Jack’s encouragement of the Real Jack finding out that Nancy loves him that he realises that he doesn’t love her after all, which doesn’t take a genius to see. Poor Nancy but it’s not so disadvantageous for someone else.

I have to admit I was such a ditz for not spotting the obvious onscreen sexual chemistry between both of the Jack’s in this episode. They had so many scenes together and such a great rapport that I wasn’t even think about any HoYay factor and to the delight of much viewers it turns out the Real Jack is a closeted gay man.

This helps explain why he doesn’t love Nancy and it even puts a lot of the earlier scenes with Our Jack in perspective. He may have stolen his identity but Our Jack deserves a medal for getting the Real Jack for being honest with himself and the mutual attraction between the two of them is first confirmed when they hold hands. It’s like Brokeback Mountain only better in a way!

But the real moment of joy is when both of the Jacks share one hell of a hot, passionate gay with the biggest dose of substance and tenderness in the series than we’ve with virtually any other pairing so far. Both John Barrowman and Matt Rippey didn’t hold back and it almost seemed unfair that Toshiko had to interrupt the kiss so her and Our Jack could return to the present day.

But what was actually happening with everyone else between the time Jack and Toshiko realised they were trapped and were able to return to 2007? Quite a bit actually and most of it revolving around that trouble stirring, time hopping old creep named Bilis Manger.

He’s the guy that went out of his way to sabotage Jack and Toshiko’s attempts to give clues to the present day to get home as Owen, Gwen and Ianto had their own difficulties and conflicts of interests.

You have to give Toshiko credit for the methods she uses in order give the gang clues whether it’s using Bilis’ camera to take pictures of co-ordinates or writing them down in her own blood and storing them in airtight containers, you have to admit it’s a lot more assertive than if it had been Gwen stuck in 1941 with Jack.

Not to have a totally hard time on Gwen this week (mainly due to no update on her and Rhys from last week) but aside from finding one of Toshiko’s clues, she was the least interesting member this week, even there was a few times when she encountered Bilis, it did look like he might do her in or when she could hear Jack and Toshiko in the dance hall even though she couldn’t reach them.

Still though what Gwen lacked in interest or annoyance this week was made up in both ways by both Owen and Ianto, who more than butted heads for once as their own ideas on how to deal with their friends missing and personal needs were brought to the fore all because of the idea of opening the Rift. Who would you think is even more keen to this idea to the test?

To be honest it’s one of those things that can go either way because right now while both men know that opening the Rift would mean disaster on a big scale, it’s not like either don’t have other motives to do so either.

First of all, it’s the only way they actually can get both Jack and Toshiko back and there’s also the possibility of Ianto getting Lisa back and Owen getting Diane back as well. Owen is more motivated by this while Ianto is vehemently against the entire idea.

To me, we’ve had the threat of The Rift a little too long so I actually wanted to see what would happen if it was opened. Owen’s reason may have been selfish mainly because not even he knows whether his lover fell back into The Rift and secondly because it seems like something the super creepy Bilis would want them to do anyway.

Owen also doesn’t help matters by overtly insisting on it and also by belittling Ianto’s relationship with Jack. It may be a nice confirmation that Ianto and Jack are fooling around on a sexual basis but Ianto’s claim of Jack needing him for more than just making coffee speaks bigger volumes than any bedroom action to me.

Also Owen made an ass out of himself by lying point blank to Gwen when he found something in regards to The Rift manipulator and then proceeded to use it after being given every reason not to. Even Ianto shooting him in the shoulder wasn’t enough to stop Owen and while it did bring Jack and Toshiko, you don’t need to be a genius to see that Owen’s opened up a bigger can of worms.

The end scene is wonderfully ambiguous though as even though we see a rather creepy Bilis looking more than pleased with himself, I liked the various exchanges between Owen and Ianto (at their snarky best) and Jack and Toshiko, the last one with some great depth as Toshiko proves to be a very sympathetic ear.

Also in “Captain Jack Harkness”

The Previously On bit contained images only from “Out Of Time” and “Combat” but they should’ve used clips from more episodes.

Real Captain Jack (to George): “I think it was your fist in his face he didn’t like, not your foxtrot”.

Our Captain Jack: “I know too much”
    Toshiko: “Then share”
    Our Captain Jack: “You wouldn’t want that”.

We learned this week that Toshiko’s grandfather was having a party for his 88th birthday and this was important to her. It’s nice that we learned something more about her.

Toshiko (re London): “I’m from there”
    Bilis: “I should go back there. They’re coming for us”.

Captain Jack (to Real Jack): “Let’s just say the enemies come in many guises”.

Did anyone notice that there was a flyer to vote for Mr Saxon, the big key word to look out for in Doctor Who’s third season? It’s already appeared in “Love And Monsters” and “The Runaway Bride”.

Owen (to Ianto): “Bomb are falling, they’re stuck in the middle of the Cardiff Blitz, it’s our duty to get them out”.

Ianto (re Diane): “You only knew her for a week”
    Owen: “And it wasn’t enough”.

The Ritz hall was opened from 1932-1989 but it wasn’t really explained why it became derelict or why Bilis used this location as part of his scheme.

Bilis (to everyone): “Let the dancing continue”.

Real Jack (re Nancy): “What are you trying to say?”
    Our Jack: “Go to her, go to your woman and lose yourself in her”.

Jack told the Real Jack about his own war stories but it would’ve been cool if he had mentioned the debacle from “Small Worlds” as well.

Ianto (re Captain Jack): “He’s our leader”
    Owen: “Not anymore”.

Owen (to Ianto): “That rift took my Captain and my lover so if I die it will be in the line of duty”.

Was it me or did we get a pretty vague look of The Rift Machine? I saw blueprints; there was a mention of Rhea Silva and Owen messing with wires but not the machine itself. Captain Jack: “Sorry for dragging you into this”
    Toshiko: “It’s my choice”.

Chronology: At least a week or two since “Combat” given that Ianto notes Owen’s reasonable absence from duty.

Owen: “Good thing that you’re a crap shot”
    Ianto: “I was aiming for your shoulder”.

Standout music: The entire 1940’s soundtrack in the dance hall.

Definitely a jarring experience from a reviewing perspective given the last two episodes back to back but “Captain Jack Harkness” is still quite a coup for the series. Although the stuff we uncovered about Jack you could predict, the sheer excitement doesn’t diminish the overall excellence and as a lead in for the finale, this rocks.
  • Finally, Jack has a personal side. *SPOILERS - basically the full story*

Well, I have watched every single episode of torchwood season one and this must be the best I ever watched. It\'s the penultimate episode before the endo of the world, but u get to see jack having a personal side. It starts of with Jack and Tosh in cardiff ritz, reports of 1940 music, soon after they enter they are stole from real time and taken to 1941.

After they realise this they start hatching a plan but not before Captain Jack Harkness, the real one makes an appearance.

Meanwhile back in real time, the team tries to find a way to get them back, Owen decides to use the rift manipulator.... bad idea owen. Anyways there is a piece missing so he goes to find tosh\'s readings and the missing piece. Gwen is already there and finds the first piece of the of equation (well the last but she finds it first) (the equation is needed for the rift manipulator to get them back) just in case i lost you.

Back in 1941 Jack and Jack talk, Torchwood Jack tells him to kiss his girl goodnight and he does, reluctantly, and she says she loves him, so he feels bad now. They argue (jack and jack) about war and how he should have done that. Then the bombs start falling, they go into the basement, and Tosh leaves the second part of the equation, she writes it in blood as she knows she pencil fades over time. She then hides it and hope the team finds it.

Jack (1941) admits that he is scared, and from this point if you havent noticed yet, they are very attracted to each other. The bombs stop falling and the dancing continues. Back in present time, they find the second part and relay them back to the hub, while owen finds the missing piece in the managers office. (the manager is bilis manger, he\'s the one who sets everything in motion and exists in both time frames, he is manipulating the situation for himself).

However she finds that some of the equation is still missing, a scene then shows bilis scratching the blood off.

Owen goes back with the piece and finds the blueprints for the machine.

meanwhile in 1941, jack tells him to go to his woman, which he does, for a while then he comes back, jack says \"I thought you had left... there isnt much time go to her\" \"thats exactly why i came back\". he sits next to him, and jack says he may be gone soon. Jack(1941) says lets makes the most of now then.

They hold hands. Then a couple comes in they make and excuse and leave the place. Jack goes to tosh, and the other jack goes to his men. Jack tells tosh how he will die (because he stole his name, he will die). tosh realises that jack likes him and she holds his hand. Back at torchwood (sorry its a great episode i like to tell a story). Own finds the blueprints and Ianto tries to stop him, he gets a gun and pursuades him not to, they argue over lisa and diane, and then hidden i only noticed the second time i watched it that jack and ianto were together. Owen places the piece and Ianto shoots him, but its too late the rift machine starts to work.

back in 1941, jack(1941) goes from his men and walks to jack at his table and grabs his hand, and walks him onto the dancefloor, they dance there for a while everyone is stunned (1941 - gay was very taboo) then the rift opens up.

Tosh tells jack that they need to go, jack says its his duty... the other jack lets goes and jack walks to tosh... he looks back and walks to jack and kisses him. Then he says goodbye and goes through the rift. Gwen is pleased to see him, though Jack wanted to be back in 1941. then from there the episode of worlds end starts....

sorry if my desciption of the story seems cold but it is really amazing, it is a must see, so go watch it... NOW!
  • Jack and Tosh go back in time to 1941. Toshiko and the rest of the team learn more about Jack's past.

This episode was one of the best in the series because we get to find out even more about Captain Jack Harkness\'(John Barrowman) life before Torchwood. We also learn alot about the type of character Owen Harper(Burn Gorman. When Ianto says that he will kill Owen if he tries to open the rift Owen says\"The rift took my lover and my captain\".He then goes ahead with working the rift manipulater and opens the rift. This shows that Owen is willing to do anything to get back Diane, Jack and Toshiko. This episode was excellent and episodes like this one are the main reason why i watch torchwood!!
    Owen Harper So Sexy
    --x--
  • They saved the best till last! *spoilers*

Waw!
    This episode and the finale was AMAZING. So glad they aired both together as they saved the best till last.
    This episode I loved truly.
    We learn more about Captain Jack- or do we?
    The 'real' captain Jack was cute! And I felt totally sorry for both Jack's at the very end, not being able to share their love for much longer than a few minutes.
    The rest of the team came out on their own as well.
    Owen was still the annoying little man he always was and so glad Ianto took control. Ianto has come a long way since Episode 04.
    Not much of Gwen this episode but still superb.
    Tosh the same!
    Bilis was great but I am beginning to question his intentions. It came out as a bad light- but maybe he was a good guy?
    I'll explain in the review of End of Days.
    Overall AMAZING!
    <br>10)The Ghost Machine
    <br>11)Small Worlds
    <br>12)Random Shoes
    <br>13)
  • I don't normally comment on the shows I watch but made the exception for this.

This episode for me was simply superb. I can\'t imagine how anyone could have watched this and not be touched by the sheer loneliness and lack of connection to those around them both Captain Jack\'s felt. I thought it was a story beautifully scripted and acted. Loved the contrast between the sadness of both Jacks and their acknowledgement of that in each other and the conflict between Owen and Ianto. Liked that all the characters played important roles in this story and I thought we learnt a little more about each one of them.
  • This is the episode where Jack and Tosh go to a building where people claim they hear music and laughter when they pass by. They go in and accidently get sucked into world war too where they meet captain Jack Harkness... the real one.

It was fantastic. This episode is another of the Torchwood\\\'s great success\\\'. It wasn\\\'t really realistic as if Jack (the real more human one) had shown he was gay that pubically he probably would have been thrown out the army or something. But this isn\\\'t exactly what you\\\'d call a reaistic programme so it was really amazing and adorable when the two Jack\\\'s danced together. I really felt for them at the end because they had something special rather then them kissing just for gay rights like some shows do.
    I\\\'m going to watch every repeat of this episode as it\\\'s my favourite.
  • A bunch of nothing...

Stories involving time travel can be difficult. ‘What if’ taken to the extreme, and plenty of opportunity for implausible elements. When the writers make a genuine, imaginative effort to create a tale using time-travel as a vehicle, it’s easy to overlook technical flaws that may pop up; if it’s good you just accept the story and enjoy it.

If only the Torchwood writers had made a strong attempt here. What we’re presented with doesn’t quite make it to the ‘half-assed attempt’ category. A time travel plot, full of holes, as a mechanism leading up to what the Torchwood writers usually do: throw in sex as a lifeboat. In this case, Jack-with-a-man-stuff. Who cares… they lost us with a poorly written, poorly acted script well before the man-on-man angle.

The idea of gay and lesbian subplots is a good one, if only they hadn’t wasted it. It could be a great backdrop for some well-written scripts. The series has all the elements to create an excellent, adult, original, unique viewing experience – if only it approached that level of quality.

Maybe next year.
  • Finally, Torchwood kicks into gear above "average" as Jack and co. stumble to the finale.

Radio Times wrote recently that Torchwood was a "spluttering sci-fi". I couldn't agree with them more. You know it has the potential, but none of the writers feel they need to go the whole hog. A show full of half-ideas and stolen storylines with characters you find hard to care for since they've been poorly written.

So it was a relief to watch one of the rare "enjoyable" episodes tonight. Usually, if the viewer picks up on something (no, not the plot holes) like Tosh's nationality, then chances are that the writers don't. But luckily, we had a few mentions and suspicions directed at her. It felt like another step in the right direction. Now if only someone actually sat down at their word processor/typewriter/script package and just put all those right steps mentioned in the past and put them all into one good episode.

Yes, it's never going to happen. But people can dream.

There were many elements that worked, but too familiar if you've seen that X-Files episode (the one with Mulder on the boat full of Nazis) or even the underrated film Frequency (leave stuff in the past for the present to find). It did leave us with some plot coincidences. For all the witty clue dropping, the process of finding them was slap-dash, with Gwen stumbling in the dark many a time.

While the 1941 segments were well written, the 2006 (or is it 2008-9 according to Doctor Who's timeline?) were a lot to be desired. Owen went into full mad scientist mode, while Ianto shouted for a bit. At least he shot Owen. There was a feeling of rejoicing around TV's at that point.

What held it together in both timelines was the eerie Manager/Caretaker. He had the definate feel of a mysterious but evil presence. You knew he was more powerful than his frail frame would suggest. It's a shame he wasn't used earlier in the series. His manipulative presence would have made more of an impact that the "something in the darkness" dialogue spouted week after week. It would created much more of a on-going mystery and worthy story arc.

The episode could have even over-used him for this episode, but luckily his fleeting appearences were enough to keep us guessing his intentions (which were sadly rubbish in the next episode!).

Toshiko managed to be reliable without having to resort to technology. A side to her that was sadly lacking in previous episodes. Even though she conveyed a sense of a brilliant mind, she's always been more "mouth than trousers"; letting the more action-types carry out her plan (and thus writing her out of a scenario). It's this kind of innovation that's been sorely lacking in her and Ianto's development.

Ahhh...Ianto. We should give this man a break. But it was all summed up with Owen's barbed comments. At least someone in their world thinks that Ianto is just the tea boy who sleeps with the boss. But did we really need 12 episodes of that just so Owen could say it? There needs to be a definate improvement in what Ianto does in the future. Not even his newly found dead-pan wit is enough to elevate him past "plot device" at the moment.

Sadly, the story with Captain Jack didn't seem to work. Too confusing to make sense considering the Doctor Who two parter. It was great to tie it in al a Back To The Future 2, but it resorted to creating a plausible story around an existing tale to come into fruition. A writer's nightmare and usually the source of all plot holes, this was convoluted at best. Jack had a day to take someone's identity? Hadn't the spaceship's medical bots been released before then (The Doctor arrived when The Empty Child had already started remember)? So Jack would have had to have taken the real one's identity a few days before. Unless, this reviewer missed something...answers on a postcard.

The two Jack's romance was saccharine at best. Those last few moments (kind of like Sliders wasn't it?) were cheesy and killed any kind of subtle impact earlier on. Kind of like ramming the point home. That said, there's very little homosexuality in sci-fi, so there's a sense that it worked despite the heavy handed tactics. So however you looked at it, it worked for some and not so much for others. This review obviously rests in the latter.

Despite the episode being disjointed, it managed to be somewhat stand alone and yet excelled at creating a decent foreshadowing too. It made you genuinely excited about watching series finale. Too bad the finale never reached any dizzying heights that this episode promised.
  • Ghostly music in a dance hall attracts the attention of Capt Jack and Tosh, so they investigate and find themselves at a dance in 1941, where they meet a charismatic young RAF pilot called Captain Jack Harkness!

Interesting episode premise, but some serious flaws. A couple of plot holes wide enough to drive an SUV through, but you can live with those.

However, transporting modern-day behaviour to 1941 just looked stupid.

Look Russel, we know you want to promote how acceptable it is to be gay, but not EVERYONE in the world is gay, especially not in 1941! Public displays of homosexuality in 1941 would have ended up with the participants shunned by their peers if not arrested since it was ILLEGAL!

I thought it was great when Jack snogged the Doctor at the end of the Dalek episode, I even found it entertaining when Owen used the pheremone spray on the bloke in episode 1, but this time it was just plain ridiculous.