Torchwood Forums

BBC Two (ended 2009)

Did they over do the sex?

archangelwho

[1]Jun 16, 2012
    • level: 18

I know those who enjoy the sex will disagree and this post may even lead to some name calling. This is one of those subjects that some do not allow for honest disagreement. Because of the time that Torchwood ran in the US I only saw it now and then. I liked the show. From my limited watching I could not understand why it did not make it. Doctor Who ran for 28 years. The remake may run longer. If Elisabeth Sladen had not passed away The Sarah Jane Adventures would still be on. In forums like this thereare always talks for more spin-offs so the fan base is there. So why didn't Torchwood make it I would ask myself.Now that I have Netflix I have been able to watch it starting with esp 1. I'm about half way though season one. The one thing that stand out is the amount of sex. Most people really don't like all of the sex on there tv shows.There were times that it even seen out of place that it was put in for the sex only. And right or wrong most people don't like gay sex. It alsoseems that if an actor is known to be gay the writers over do sex. (This could be based on my limited TV viewing.)Now I'm not an expert on acting but my guess is that a gay actor can act as well as a non-gay actorwithout the emphasis on sex. You read forums like this and the blame for the show not making is a wide range. Poor acting, poor writing, poor storylines, poor production. Well, Doctor fans has dealt with all of these for years and the shows continue. It has to be something else. If not theover use of sex then what? And it cannot just be the acting, production, storylinesor the writing. Thoseare too easly to blame and again are nothing new to the fans ofDoctor Who.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

No1Slayerette

[2]Jun 21, 2012
    • level: 9

archangelwho wrote:
    I know those who enjoy the sex will disagree and this post may even lead to some name calling. This is one of those subjects that some do not allow for honest disagreement. Because of the time that Torchwood ran in the US I only saw it now and then. I liked the show. From my limited watching I could not understand why it did not make it. Doctor Who ran for 28 years. The remake may run longer. If Elisabeth Sladen had not passed away The Sarah Jane Adventures would still be on. In forums like this thereare always talks for more spin-offs so the fan base is there. So why didn't Torchwood make it I would ask myself.Now that I have Netflix I have been able to watch it starting with esp 1. I'm about half way though season one. The one thing that stand out is the amount of sex. Most people really don't like all of the sex on there tv shows.There were times that it even seen out of place that it was put in for the sex only. And right or wrong most people don't like gay sex. It alsoseems that if an actor is known to be gay the writers over do sex. (This could be based on my limited TV viewing.)Now I'm not an expert on acting but my guess is that a gay actor can act as well as a non-gay actorwithout the emphasis on sex. You read forums like this and the blame for the show not making is a wide range. Poor acting, poor writing, poor storylines, poor production. Well, Doctor fans has dealt with all of these for years and the shows continue. It has to be something else. If not theover use of sex then what? And it cannot just be the acting, production, storylinesor the writing. Thoseare too easly to blame and again are nothing new to the fans ofDoctor Who.
    Well Torchwood actually hasn't officially finished yet. In fact, the CEO of the premium US cable channel Starz, which co-funded the production of the fourth season, says he remains in touch with the BBC regarding the future of Torchwood and that a further series would depend on Davies being free from other commitments and if he wishes to continue doing the show.

Because of this I think any speculation as to why Torchwood 'didn't make it', as you say, would be pointless, mostly because I myself hope there will be another season. To date, I'd say the reason, in my opinion, that it hasn't been incredibly successful is due to production problems and the inability to find an audience.

Initially, I imagine the BBC tried to advertise Torchwood to Doctor Who fans, but because the show is darker and sexier than Doctor Who, I'd imagine quite a few fans that would dislike the spin-off compared to Doctor Who. It barely had time to find an audience before the BBC, who didn't receive the increase in the license fee they requested, cut the third season's episode order from thirteen to five, and decided to air the season over one week in the middle of summer, often considered the graveyard slot, much to the concern/ annoyance of Davis and John Barrowman. I think this is why Davis sought out an American network to co-fund the fourth season, as to get a bigger budget and branch out to the US audience. Unfortunately, majority of US audiences probably wouldn't have heard of Torchwood before and may have found it difficult to follow, plus the critical reception to that season wasn't all that great.

As for the amount of sex it has, I personally don't think it has too much. It may have had quite a bit in the first two seasons (I remember Day One especially), but I haven't watched them in a while so I might be mistaken, but the third and fourth seasons didn't have all that much at all. Besides, sex sells, and there are plenty of other shows that have made their success from this, but Torchwood it not one of them.

archangelwho

[3]Jun 29, 2012
    • level: 18

NO1 Slayerette wrotw: As for the amount of sex it has, I personally don't think it has too much. It may have had quite a bit in the first two seasons (I remember Day One especially), but I haven't watched them in a while so I might be mistaken, but the third and fourth seasons didn't have all that much at all. Besides, sex sells, and there are plenty of other shows that have made their success from this, but Torchwood it not one of them.

I don't believe that sex sells as much as some would like us to believe. Other than a few shows on HBO, Showtime and the like when sex is too open or the focus the shows do not do well or at least the ones I have known of. We don't watch many shows over the PG-13 level. Sex on TV seem to do better when it is in the backgriund, hinted at or does off camera. I guess as Doctor Who fan I never say never but how long do we wait before we say it is over?

Edited on 06/29/2012 7:39am