Torchwood Forums

BBC Two (ended 2009)

FOX to "Americanize" Torchwood????

belial_77

[41]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 17
    steamheaduk wrote:
    I've always thought Captain John Hart would be a natural fit into US Torchwood.

Damn right he would!

He's too old to pass as a vampire anymore, and mostly he has been doin bit parts on Caprica and other shows. So I imagine he wouldn't mind headin up a US TW.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Anime-Alchemist

[42]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 20
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8637901.stm

And so the project's at a standstill?

Why don't they just listen to the fandom and make series 4 set in Cardiff?!

ravynjensen

[43]May 4, 2010
    • level: 14

So, FOX is out (Thank GOD), but the powers that be say they're still shopping around for an American network for the project.

I say they should knock on SHOWTIME's door and beg them to sign up.

I think that SHOWTIME is the only USnetwork that would allow Torchwood to keep it's edge.

They did a great job with the US version of Queer as Folk, which ran for 5 seasons (84 episodes total), and they never once shied away from the sexuality or the issues.

This of course needs to be a spin off, either in the CSI way where all the characters are completely different but just the basic premise stays the same, OR in the Buffy/Angel (or, hell, Dotor Who/Torchwood) way where one of the characters from the original branches off on his own for whatever reason and a new cast is built around that person.

All I can say is keep it away from the major networks so the censors aren't as much of an issue and don't just rehash the original...

steamheaduk

[44]May 6, 2010
    • level: 19
    ravynjensen wrote:

This of course needs to be a spin off, either in the CSI way where all the characters are completely different but just the basic premise stays the same

Yes I think so too. Since Torchwood already established "Branches" it's no big leap to have an American branch. Which of course would have an interesting extra angle of a British organisation operating within the US, under the covers, especially given it's origins in Queen Victoria's times and the "tension" between the US and the UK at that time. This could actually give an extra dimension to the US series that the UK one doesn't have.

It could still be built in such a way that US viewers didn't need to know the UK version at all to follow it, in the same way the UK one started with Jack explaining Torchwood to a "new recruit", completely wiping out any "need" to have watched Doctor Who.

But I think a new Torchwood Branch, rather than a US Remix would gain more income overall. If they are two series around the same concept, fans of one may watch/buy the other. If it's just taking the same scripts and reworking them for a US audience there is less incentive to watch the alternate version.

Of course then we could have Torchwood: Cardiff and Torchwood: New York, echoing the jibe made about CSI: Cardiff in season 1.

belial_77

[45]May 12, 2010

Agreed.

Only thing, I still say it should be "Torchwood: San Fran"... Ties back to the crappy Who movie, located on the West Coast so more room for stories (Van Staten, area 51, Vegas, LA etc)... and for most Americans, if there was a rift in time/space spittin out aliens and causing weird events and behaviours... San Fran would be the place they think of first.

The_void_68

[46]May 15, 2010
    • level: 18
    I think they should have Torchwood: Los Angeles. Think about it, a dark, mysterious, brooding immortal moves to LA to atone for his past sins, and sets up a team to fight evil non-humans. Is that a great idea or what?

Anime-Alchemist

[47]May 17, 2010
    The_void_68 wrote:
    I think they should have Torchwood: Los Angeles. Think about it, a dark, mysterious, brooding immortal moves to LA to atone for his past sins, and sets up a team to fight evil non-humans. Is that a great idea or what?

Nope. A great idea would be to keep Torchwood Cardiff based and not have it bastardised by the bloody Americans, like it will be if they get their greedy hands on this piece of gold

The_void_68

[48]May 17, 2010
    I think I should've included a winking smily.

dh4645

[49]May 18, 2010
    • level: 15

Anime-Alchemist wrote:
    The_void_68 wrote:
    Nope. A great idea would be to keep Torchwood Cardiff based and not have it bastardised by the bloody Americans, like it will be if they get their greedy hands on this piece of gold

i agree and i live in the US. keep it in cardiff!!!

and hurry up and make some episodes to tie it in to doctor who. love the crossovers.

Edited on 05/18/2010 9:17am

Anime-Alchemist

[50]May 18, 2010
    This has been discussed many times, and a straight out Doctor Who/Torchwood crossover has too much potential for disaster, due to the adult themes in Torchwood not present in Doctor Who. It was able to be done in the Doctor Who story 'The Stolen Earth'/'Journey's End' because that was a worldwide crisis, but a story set in either Verse specifically would be too hard to accomplish due to family audiences.

belial_77

[51]May 22, 2010

I completely disagree that a US TW be set in Cardiff... why not just show UK TW epis then? And if people complain about the accents, just redub it w/ US actors...

But if a remake of a UK is set in same location it will end up just bein another tired retread that lacks the spark of the original... Red Dwarf, Coupling, Spaced, Life on Mars, 11th Hour, etc... heck, even the most successful UK->US translation, the Office, was lacklust when they were tryin to redo UK scripts... and only became good when they departed from it and focused on the new cast's strengths.

archangelwho

[52]May 25, 2010

The_void_68 wrote:
    *Prays for dragon22a's idea* I hate American remakes with a passion. What, exactly, is the point? It's not like it's in a different language! We Brits manage fine with American shows, why can't it work the other way round?

AS an American I must say your remarks are, how can I put this without making anyone mad, your remarks are well right on the mark. There nothing so good that the USA networks can't mess up move it to it lowest level.What is the point you may ask? Which you did. Well the USA networks are mostly ran by the same Left as our goverment. The Left in the USA feel that you are too dumb to know what is good or how to do anything right. So they have to come along and save you. The fact that you don't like it just show how dumb you are. Why do you think so many in the UAS like BBC TV? This is what we have to put up with in the USA. They get a way with this because too many people watch TV so they don't have to think. The story that Star Terk failed because it was too cerebrate is ture. Any show that is too cerebrate fails in the USA.

belial_77

[53]Jun 25, 2010
    archangelwho wrote:

AS an American I must say your remarks are, how can I put this without making anyone mad, your remarks are well right on the mark. There nothing so good that the USA networks can't mess up move it to it lowest level.What is the point you may ask? Which you did. Well the USA networks are mostly ran by the same Left as our goverment. The Left in the USA feel that you are too dumb to know what is good or how to do anything right. So they have to come along and save you. The fact that you don't like it just show how dumb you are. Why do you think so many in the UAS like BBC TV? This is what we have to put up with in the USA. They get a way with this because too many people watch TV so they don't have to think. The story that Star Terk failed because it was too cerebrate is ture. Any show that is too cerebrate fails in the USA.

Damn, Archy... didn't realize how political ya are...

But I differ w/ your assumption that cerebral shows fail... look at the success of BSG and Fringe... as far as comedy, we have had quite a few intelligent shows get canned too early (most recently "Better Off Ted") but still we got Party Down, 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, etc... all smart and funny shows...

But here's the deal, most UK->US translations just don't feel right... even if you haven't seen the original, you know it just lacks something... I mean, how many have we had are basically verbatim rips of UK shows? 11th Hour and Life on Mars come to mind first... (not counting all the horrid ones that took liberties w/ the source material like Red Dwarf, Spaced, Coupling, etc.)... they just didn't "feel right"... somehow the Office was able to pull it off, but when they were using the UK scripts in the first couple seasons, it had that "something is missing" feel. But once original US scripts started coming along, the show improved...

So, I think it is the whole subtle feeling you get when you see a remake of a film ya hadn't seen... that something isn't right as the writers try holding onto the original material, but retreading it takes away the magic...

hence why I say make it a spin off not a direct copy... then you wouldn't have the rehash feel that wold doom the show.

bdancer99

[54]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 11

i hope they don't

kanniballl

[57]May 18, 2011

I've never had a problem with the British shows, though I wasn't a HUGE fan of the Monty Python type shows back in the day. But Life on Mars, Doctor Who, MI-5, etc were fine.

The ONLY problem I've ever had was the occasional regional joke or UK pop-culture reference. Like when they kept making fun of Chris Eccleston's accent. Along the lines of "If he's an alien why does he sound like he's from the North? All planets have a North" I imagine "North" means Scottish or Welsh or something?

The only verbatim US-remake I enjoyed was Life on Mars, because I can related to 70s US culture more than 70s UK culture. So the lang, the clothes, the cars, etc made a bigger impact on me.

Edited on 05/18/2011 8:56am

hippichick1989

[59]Jun 5, 2011
    • level: 2

I just saw the trailer for "Miracle Day"and so far so good! We still have Gwen and Jack, which means this is more of a new chapter than a new series; the history of Torchwood seems to be preserved. Since its on Starz I don't think we have to worry about any censorship issues. http://www.starz.com/#/premiering-friday-july-8-at-10pm-etpt This is the link for the trailer 7-8-2011 can't wait

big-boss-91

[60]Jun 10, 2011
    • level: 10
    becoming? its already amerianised