Totally Spies!

Saturday 6:00 AM on Cartoon Network Premiered Nov 03, 2001 Between Seasons

Totally Spies! Fan Reviews (150)

• Totally Spies is a cartoon about three Beverly Hills girls who are "secretly" spies for the agency of WHOOP. Their boss is a British man named Jerry who often gives them odd gagdets as they set out on equally odd missions.

I hate people who are not objective in their scores. There many shows I do not like but I am willing to admit that this is a matter of personal preference rather than actual quatilty. It is only when I find a show that is, for lack of a better word, hopelessly flawed that I will admit to outright loathing. Normally I do not write reviews but after seeing this show get any praise I feel it is necessary to do my part to help others avoid this show. Perhaps I can even convince some current fans of the show of its repugnance. That being said I was originally a fan of Totally spies and watched whenever I could. You may ask yourself why if I hate show so much was I ever a fan. Truth, I am a sucker for cute girls especially girls similar to anime. It was this that lead me to try Sailor Moon and the Powerpuff Girls. I've noticed that most of the reviews of this show mention only nonanime cartoons so it is possible that some of this show's fans are also anime haters. Let me tell you one thing, and this the only time I will make a direct comparison between Totally Spies and another show, I have watched seventy episodes of Sailor Moon and believe it to be a repetitive, mildly amusing show for lttle children so keeping that I think that lowly of Sailor Moon and still like it think about how horrible Totally Spies must have been for someone as accepting as me to hate it. The plot of every episode is nearly identical; girls are called on mission, girls find villian's hideout, girls are captured, villian leaves the room and girls escape in time to stop the villain. The repetitiveness of this show might be excusable if it had some interesting characters in it. However the characters in this show range from shallow to stereotyped. It might actually be a fun game to watch this show and see who can find the most cliches and stereotypes. For starters look at the main characters; we have Clover the dumb blonde who doubles as the ditzy valley girl, Alex the token minority, and Sam who is so shallow she does not even qualify as a stereotype. In all honestly I can think of one characteristic that differs Sam from either Clover or Alex aside from that she generally more competent than either of her friends though really just stupid except with a monotone voice as opposed to Clover's stereotypical valley girl accent and Alex who sounds like she has a cold. Their boss Jerry is the standard British butler except he gives orders instead of taking them. The villains are horrible caricatures even for a cartoon. Several episodes actually have the spies pursuing villains who would never even be arrested in real life. One villains stands up women while another makes fattening cookies. I guess Oreo and dishonest guys are international criminals in the world of Totally Spies. I did not think even the Nazis were that strict. The thing that truly offended me is the horrible attitudes that saturate this show. I like shows like South Park but there is a difference here; audience. I will tolerate South Park because it is obviously an adult comedy that no little kid should see. Totally Spies is definately a children's show at heart so it teaches children terrible morales. For example, anyone who is not a jock or a supermodel is hopelessly stereotyped and treated as ugly. I think cliques are something children should be discouraged from rather than pushed into. The show will try to do good morals but usually ends up ruining them. For example, one episode "Wild Style" tries to give the moral that you should accept others for who they are and not go by what is fashionable. In the episode Clover tries to win a guy who like tall women from another girl named Mandy. In the end the guy become afraid of tall women and therefore takes Clover over the heightened Mandy. So the moral is that you should not alter yourself because the likes of the public are prone to change. This includes the fact that the guy's sole reason for accepting Clover over Mandy in the end has nothing to do with either's personality simply their size. Perhaps the writers of the show realized that no real guy would ever choose either Mandy or Clover as they are both portrayed as equally shallow and ditzy. Refereing back to the cliche game here is a new one; Mandy the mean popular girl. Interestingly the guy Clover is with is never mentioned in future episodes neither are any of the other guys she is seen with. That is another attitude the show spreads; boyfriends are like tissue, only there for your personal convenience. I cannot wait to see what someone who lives like these girls ends up as. Now for my one compliment of the show, the animation. The animation is pretty fluid and I think fairly good. Sorry for all you fans of Totally Spies, but in blunt honesty I think you've been brainwashed by the flashing lights. I hope you can realize one day that Big Brother is NOT watching you.