Totally Spies!

Saturday 6:00 AM on Cartoon Network Premiered Nov 03, 2001 Between Seasons

CyberCartoon

Totally Spies! Fan Reviews (149)

• Remember when girl power shows used to be good?

1.5
    I know I am a man, but when a TV shows has girls as the main stars it should be fair that women should be just as awesome as men main stars on TV shows. Look at Wonder Woman in comic books, and the girls of G.I. Joe they were excellent. Today's girl power shows though seem to have forgotten about real girl power, and instead make the main girls as shallow, and stereotypical as possible, and this show is no different from the rest. Totally Spies is about 3 girls named Sam, Clover, and Alex. They seem like ordinary school girls living in Beverly Hills, but they are actually spies and work for WOOHP. Together they all face numerous villains and save the world. The show is another premise that has been done to death, but most of those shows that use it add new features in, and make the characters really good. So this show did that right? Wrong, very wrong. Every character on this show is generic and very stereotypical with no defining personalities. All the girls, including Sam, Alex, and Clover, are all boy obsessed, obnoxious, snobbish, and completely shallow. Also the girls love to use the words "whatever", and "totally". It gets irritating very fast. Every other character is a little better than the girls, but that's not saying much. Jocks are stereotypical, and nerds are portrayed as geeky individuals who do weird stuff. Let me admit right here that I am a nerd, and that not all nerds are weird and shut ins. I know many other nerds, and like me we have lives, a job, and some like me have a girlfriend/boyfriend. The villains are completely awful, and not in the least bit threatening. One villain is obsessed with cleaning, another is about flooding the world with coffee all because he got fired, and another was a man who's heart was broken on Valentine's Day, and disguised himself as a variety of different boys to break other girls' hearts. These are villains? They make Swipper the Fox from Dora the Explorer look almost good. Jerry, the main leader of WOOHP has some background to him, and is the only tolerable character on this show. The episodes are the same 98% of the time. A problem occurs in a part of the world, the girls are summoned to deal with the situation, investigate the area, the girls are captured, they escape through a very convenient plot device, fight bad guy, win, go home, and repeat. So if you have seen one episode you have pretty much seen them all. One thing that always struck me as odd was the fact that WOOHP always knows where the girls are, and everything around the girls is a teleporter to WOOHP. A trashcan in school, a couch, a locker, and so much more. Is all of Beverly Hills above one big hole, and underneath it is a giant base? The humor this show uses is not that good at all, most of it is gags, and some get weak chuckles out of me, and nothing more. The girls are also given gadgets by Jerry, and to be fair they aren't too bad. It's a pretty good reference to James Bond, and some of the gadgets are pretty good. The artwork is decent in this show, but uninspired to say the least, and the animation feels a little stiff and choppy sometimes. Whatever happened to girl power shows like Sailor Moon, or Kim Possible? Those were excellent shows, but Totally Spies is just awful even for both boys and girls. In the end Totally Spies is totally forgettable, totally stupid, and a total waste of time, and is best left avoided.