Tracey Ullman's State of the Union

Episode 1

Aired Monday 12:00 AM Mar 30, 2008 on Showtime

• The first episode of Tracey Ullman's State of the Union.

7.8
    Not bad at all. I was a little disappointed because the beginning was sort of "eh" and I expected some of the funnier parodies that were shown in the promos to be done in the pilot but only part of it was. I didn't find the impersonation or the skit of the Bangladesh woman to be that funny nor the skit about the death row inmate.

I guess it was just because these characters weren't interesting and nothing new. As the episode wore on, the parodies got a lot better. In the promos for the series, we saw the impersonation (done brilliantly) of Tony Sirico (Paulie from the Sopranos). This skit as he was about to play an Alaskan Fisherman (done in a wiseguy fashion) was hilarious so my mood changed here.

THe David Beckham parody was great I wish it would have gone on longer but from the preview of the next episode we'll get to see more parodies of Beckham.

Ullman also pokes fun at Ariann Huffington and this was done well too. The Nancy Pelosi getting Botox sketch was also funny.

All in all there were more laughs as the episode wore on. Tracey Ullman is great in whatever part she plays. I can't wait to see more episodes of the show.