Transformers

Heavy Metal War

Aired Weekdays 8:00 PM Dec 15, 1984 on ABC Family

• One of my favorites

The Constructicons would go on to frustrate all Transformers fans with their numerous and contradictory origins. However, they were a great bunch of characters and this is the episode that introduced them all. While the battle between Optimus Prime and Megatron was great, it was the fight between the Dinobots and the Constructicons that really sold the episode for me. I loved the Dinobots, but your average, run-of-the-mill Decepticon just never stood much of a chance against them. It was pretty interesting seeing them in a fight in which they were overmatched and could have eventually led to their destruction. I've always questioned the ways Devastator was eventually defeated, not only in this episode but in most episodes including the Constructicons. It seemed like he could take everything the Autobots shot at him and just laugh it off, then they'd do something to trick him and suddenly he became vulnerable to their fire. It never made sense to me.

At this point there were no combiners in the Transformers universe, although I had been familiar with Voltron and I still remember seeing the similarly colored team of Constructicons and thinking about how great it would be if they could combine, but I decided not to get my hopes up. I nearly fell out of my seat when they formed Devastator. To me one of the biggest sins of the entire Transformers series is that they never had Devastator fight another combiner. Okay, he did fight Bruticus, and lose, but you would think that when Superion and Defensor and eventually Computron were around that there would be some type of confrontation. It really was a wasted opportunity that they repeated with Predaking, who also never fought another combiner. The other biggest sin is that the Autobots didn't learn from this and decide to retro-fit the Dinobots into a combiner mode. That in all of the different Transformers there has never been a Dinobot combiner still boggles my mind.