A Transparent Community
Amazon Instant Video

Remember when Amazon was the dot-com you visited to buy your much-anticipated Salsa Dancing in Three Easy Steps instruction book or the latest Hardy Boys novel? Now you can buy everything except small children from the internet's Wal-Mart, so it only makes sense that the company would also be an online television network. Wait, what? Yep, Amazon is making big strides in the original programming sector, nipping at Netflix's heels and trying to carve out a foxhole in the growing online-streaming video wars. 

And finally someone is giving viewers a say, because Amazon is bringing its development cycle to the people by posting pilots online and letting its users vote on which shows deserve to be greenlit which ones should end up in Jeff Bezos's computer-desktop trashcan.  The company posted its first round of pilots last spring, and they were, more or less, not that buzzworthy. But the good news is that the new crop is much better! In fact, some of them are even downright watchable. 

I've seen all five of Amazon's current pilots aimed at regular-sized audiences (there are also five kids' programs available to screen), and I've compiled my thoughts below. And in the spirit of Amazon's user feedback, I've also added two (probably fake) Amazon-style reviews for each one, because when you're shopping for an electric nosehair trimmer on the site, you don't just read one review, do you? NO YOU DO NOT. Any sensible person would peruse at least one very positive review and one very negative review to get a better idea of the product he or she is e-shopping for. Why should TV be any different? 

THE REBELS 

Currently rated 4.4 out of 5 stars by Amazon users

I like this show alot It's about a lady who gets a football team when her husband dies and there's a cool scene with  a monkey. It's HILAROUS and alot of the football players say and do funny things like one of the football players does a lot of drugs and then he doesn't even know he has coke all over his nose when he is lying about not doing drugs its funny!! XD  THe chick who gets the football is pretty. And that monkey! LOL! Would give this 10 stars if I could but Amazon's rating thing only lets us put in five, WHY amazon?

I have been perusing television with a critical eye going on 32 years now, so you know I'm very intelligent and a beacon for proper television criticism. Anywho, The Rebels, starring Natalie Zea (Justified, The Following) as a woman who inherits a professional football team after her husband passes away, was so terrible that I couldn't stomach any more of my charcuterie whilst viewing it! It wasn't nearly as good as The Wire, my favorite all-time show, and had nothing to say about society. It never even addressed the rampant concussion epidemic in professional sports, especially football (do watch League of Denial if you want to witness an amazing critique of the football system). Instead, The Rebels just wanted to be a mish-mash of locker-room humor and tawdry sight gags! No thank you, Amazon. NO THANK YOU!

Fumble! Amazon is clearly going for breadth with this broad comedy about a broad who takes ownership of a football team, because it would feel right at home on NBC, ABC, and most definitely USA. I'm assuming we're all interested in the online programming model because it's the perfect avenue for pushing the envelope of creative television, right? Unfortunately, The Rebels is only here to pay some bills and bring in a mass audience by running a prevent defense (football talk for "playing it safe"); it doesn't offer anything unique. That's actually the most interesting thing about Amazon's decision to pilot The Rebels: It's a clear attempt to go mainstream and ignore niche audiences. Will it work? Who knows. Currently it's sitting at 4.4/5 stars, so maybe it'll get a series order. But the show itself is not that great. It's overloaded with clichés and exposition that's delivered by the Fox NFL team. Natalie Zea is wonderful and really elevates her material, ensuring that an occasional joke lands, especially for the sports fans in the audience. But all too often, character decisions are shoehorned in for the sake of comedy. Why would any reasonable business person promote someone who previously fetched coffee for the general manager of a professional football team? FOR LAUGHS, THAT'S WHY! This is Major League as told from the somewhat interesting perspective of the new (albeit nicer) female owner, and with all the same sports gags. But you know what? It could be a lot worse. Also, there's surprisingly little football for a show about football!

BOSCH

Currently rated 4.8 out of 5 stars by Amazon users

I love police shows and Michael Connelly's books that this new Amazon pilot is based on, and this is a pretty good adaptation of them. For those who haven't read the books, Bosch follows LAPD detective Harry Bosch as he investigates the murder of a 13-year-old boy while simultaneously standing trial for the murder of a supposed killer himself. Talk about complicated! Titus Welliver stars as our hero from the pages, and he's great. He really makes the internal conflict pop! Highly recommended for fans of the books!!! If you like my review, check out my Amazon wishlist and buy me something!

Oh boy ANOTHER POLICE SHOW ON TELEVISION. What's next, Amazon is going to give us a lawyer show!? A soapy DOCTOR show?!? Maybe a show about people trying to be king of a land called Easteros, and they can call it Competition for King Chairs! Bosch might have been something worth watching 10 years ago, but now it's just another morally messed-up cop with more bad guys to catch. Pass! Watch HBO's True Detective if you want to see a detective show done right.

Look, I didn't read the books (I don't know how to read), but what I gleaned from Bosch is that it's slightly better than many of the other police procedurals out there, and most of that "slightly better" is a direct result of the always awesome Titus Welliver (Lost, The Good Wife) and the potential for the character of Bosch to really come alive. The pilot doesn't go too far with specifics, but the atmosphere of Los Angeles—portrayed here as a noir paradise—goes a long way to make up for it. It's a good-looking show. There's also a cast full of familiar faces playing interesting characters, including Annie Wersching (24) and Jamie Hector (The Wire). The best way to assess the quality of a pilot is to ask yourself how itchy you are to see another episode, and I had little interest in scratching the minor irritation that sorta wanted to watch Episode 2. This one's for fans of the books and the genre.  

MOZART IN THE JUNGLE

Currently rated 4.4 out of 5 stars by Amazon users

I'm third chair violin in the Buford Philharmonic and this show is proof that we're not all squares! Based on the memoir of the same name by Blair Tindall, MitJ shows what really happens behind the scenes of a classical-music symphony. We like to have fun and have sex, just like normal people! MitJ also captures the incestuous and complex relationships that happens when like-minded people that are passionate about a similar art are cramped together for their lives. And yes, as my name implies, I've used my violin as a bong. 

This could've been much better if it focused more on the music rather than the fiddling about... and by fiddling about I don't mean playing the fiddle (that would be nice) I mean all the sex talk! And who in their right mind thinks a real professional classical musician would smoke the marijuana if they want to be the best musician they can be? That might work for those "grunge" rockers out there or the rappers, but try playing Mozart while stoned from smoking a doobie and tell me if you can hit that appregio. The classical music setting is just a cover for more sex and drugs and a hedonistic soap. And please, no one let Malcolm McDowell near a conductor's baton again! He's horrible! Do not vote for this! I would have given one star but there was SOME music so i gave it 2. 

"Hey, what's a new setting for a soap opera? How about the symphony?" That's probably how Mozart in the Jungle got made. And yes, the world of classical music is a great backdrop for a new bunch of stock characters with problems we've seen before, but that formula only works when a show pays enough attention to what really makes its world unique. You'll find some decent characters here (Saffron Burrows' sensual cellist and Lola Kirke's struggling oboist are immediately likable), as well as some solid acting. But that doesn't change the fact that Mozart in the Jungle is essentially another ensemble soap, just with different professions and new costumes. I just don't see it going to any really unexpected places, and by Season 3, even its early adopters will get bored of another symphony orgy, more drugs, and intertwining love stories. And for some reason, this pilot reminded me of The Newsroom, but with violas instead of news cycles, which isn't a great thing.    

TRANSPARENT

Currently rated 4.2 out of 5 stars by Amazon users

Transparent is a magical and transcendent journey into the labyrinthine troubles of one family when the aging patriarch, played magnificently by journeyman thespian Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development) in one his best roles to date, reveals an ages-old deep secret that could rip the family asunder. I don't want to go into specifics as it will spoil the reveal, but it's an incredible transformation that tests the limits of this family's levels of acceptance, unconditional love, and appreciation for life. The family unit functions like the Fishers of Six Feet Under, and consists of Tambor's father figure, his son and two daughters as they all try to find that comfy person inside of them that they can call, "Myself." I heartily recommend Transparent or anyone who ever searched far and wide to discover who they truly are, for anyone who has felt lost in this dizzying world of complex social statuses, for anyone who knows the true bond of family love. I can't wait to see more of this treasure. Huzzah! 

i will not let my children watch this liberal piece of properganda! i cant even write down the big "twist" with the parent but let me tell you its abominabal! this is just a family full of looser urban hipsters who dont no how to make an honest living and instead complain about there lifes when they should be getting a job! this is whats wrong with this country if u ask me. this was disgusting. and whats with all the nudity? would give 0 stars if i could

Jeffrey Tambor is really spectacular here as the father of three mopey, well-off Los Angelenos who do a lot of whining about their lives. But the family dysfunction serves as a springboard for the offspring's new look on life once a huge family secret is revealed (and while it's obvious in hindsight, it's best to go in uninformed). I didn't like Transparent as much as some other critics did, but it has the potential to grow into something truly great. My biggest complaint is probably that it has a bit of a "White People Problems" stink to it, so it might come off as a bit pretentious. But everything really clicked into place in the third act, and suddenly I found myself wanting more. This is for fans of art-house cinema, talky pictures, and quieter family dramas. 

THE AFTER

Currently rated 4.0 out of 5 stars by Amazon users

Hi there, folks! I'm a self-admitted "nerd" who loves all things sci-fi! The After could be the next amazing thing to hit the Web and after one episode I am H-O-O-K-E-D!!! The After was created by Chris Carter, you know, the GOD who created The X-Files and I've been waiting for years to see his next project! The After tells the story of seven strangers who end up in the apocalypse where no one knows what's going on but all heck has broken loose across Los Angeles. I recognized one actor from Heroes (Adrian Pasdar, Nathan Petrelli FTW!!!) and another from Leverage (Aldis Hodge), and for some reason Jamie Kennedy is in this LOL but he's cool. Anyway, The After is full of mystery and cool characters that don't know what's happening, kind of like my favorite shows The Ev3nt and FlashForward. Just wait til you see the cliffhanging ending! You'll be like OMG what is THAT!!??!?!? GIVE ME EPISODE 2 NOW, AMAZON!  

Nice try, The After, but you're no Lost no matter how hard you try to be. I love a good serialized science-fiction show but The After is not one of them. You know what made Lost work? The characters. The characters in this show are terrible. They have no depth. And they do the stupidest stuff! Who would go for a nude swim in the middle of an apocalypse? Someone on this show, that's who! Why is the Irish guy a hard-drinking thug? Why is the black guy a convict with anger issues?  I am intrigued with the premise, however, and the final cliffhanger was really creepy. But if it means spending hours with these cardboard cutouts from the stock character store then no thanks! These people are terrible, kind of like those awful shows The Ev3nt and FlashForward. It looks like Chris Carter took too much time off. As much as I don't like it, I'd watch more to see where it goes. 

Unless this series takes a different direction going forward, it's pretty clear that The After is yet another half-hearted attempt at recreating the magical success of Lost. I love a good sci-fi mystery as much as the next dude, but The After's pilot doesn't provide any sense of what questions we should be asking—it's seriously just a bunch of chaos in Los Angeles, and it fails to give us even the slightest inkling of what's going on. A good mystery requires a good tease, and The After overestimates viewers' patience by assuming we'll be captivated by a bunch of people asking, "What's going on?" and running around with their arms in the air. The beginning is painfully slow, and it takes almost 20 minutes just for the main cast to get out of a parking garage while they bicker and argue and force their simplified personalities on us. If the characters were interesting, that might be excusable, but they're really, really bad, they say stupid things, and they're so dumb it's a wonder they're not already dead. Even if you make it to the cliffhanger, you'll likely just shrug your shoulders because you've probably seen it all before. Two stars just because The After could course-correct if it earns a series order.

Which Amazon pilot are you interested in? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/11/2015

Season 2 : Episode 10

99 Comments
Comments (99)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
the after

Flag
I am guessing the seven characters in The After represent the seven deadly sins, which is why they are all one-dimensional and unsympathetic. That still doesn't really make me very intrigued by the show.

I really liked Transparent. Maybe it looked/sounded a little hipsterish, but that isn't a damning criticism. The characters actually could be given depth, which is something that doesn't happen often, even in good TV shows, and the dialogue was great. It was just high-quality television and really felt like a movie when I was watching it. Plus, the soundtrack seems like it has potential. I really hope that it gets picked up.
Flag
Watched the After(lol) and was somewhat intrigued. Sure, it had its flaws but again the reviewer *cough*Tim*cough* failed to listen to important lines. Like why the only black dude is a convict and why he has anger issues f.e.
For now the After is - beside the awful title - something I like and want to watch again. And please people stop the Lost comparison, nothing reads more "I'm an idiot when it comes to TV" than comparing any given pilot with mystery elements to Lost. That should go without saying.

Flag
I actually like The After. Most people might say that the characters are too one dimensional but when did you ever see a pilot episode without one dimensional characters. That is why they make it a series in order to flesh out a character. If the characters were already fleshed out, what's there to watch?
Flag
Just about to watch The After pilot because it looks and sounds awesome. Netflix and Amazon are by far the BEST thing to happen to our screens in years. I compare it to the days when I first got sky and I was no longer stuck watching terrestrial TV. Full season launches are the future of TV and this is fairly obvious to me. The days when the networks decide our TV scheduled are coming to an end and it's about time. To be honest, this should have ended when everyone advanced from terrestrial TV. For the last 5 years I've watched all my TV online and I watch what I want, when I want it. I would hate to have to sit through anything I don't enjoy anymore. Back in the day we used to have to tolerate watching boring shows while we wait for something good to come on but not anymore. Today, if it's boring, it gets deleted after 10mins.
Flag
The After.... WOW. Watched this one with my mouth hanging open. Reminded me of a Dario Argento movie, you can't look away even though you know it's terrible. The fake accents, the dialogue, the clichés! Hilarious.
Flag
After the first review posted about these shows I went with 'The After' as it potentially sounded good. Having watched it, I thought it was pretty poor. The racial stereo-typing of the Black and Irish characters grated, making them really uncomfortable to watch and the scenes of chaos were akin to headless chickens running around. Chaotic scenes like that usually follow or precede some larger event and the chaos will allude to this with either remnants of what has occurred in the scenes or they clue us in to what is to come. The only purpose these scenes seemed to have were filling running time. The creature at the end seemed like a lazy afterthought and was the final let-down in a long series of them. The only impressive thing about 'The After' was the size of Mr. Clown's lunchbox!
Flag
THE AFTER was Amazing, and an amazing introduction to a new show, everybody I know is waiting in eager (and hopeful) anticipation of what happens next. What is it all about and where will it go next. Sure there was some dumb stuff, but ahem people ARE dumb, and there was the stereotypical characters, but hey, its new. The best thing about this kind of show is the removal from every day normalcy and looking at the world from a what if perspective. A million things could go wrong with this show, and a million things could go right, I just want them (Chris Carter) to get a chance to flesh it out. And to all of those who didn't like the show, grow up, stop burdening new shows with the failure of past shows, judge each show according to its own merits and not because its not as good as LOST, or Fringe, or etc... nothing will ever be as good as LOST, and even when LOST was on people complained about it too, so give it rest. Give it a clean slate and hope for the best. Because in the end, if it truly does suck, it WILL get cancelled.
More+
Flag
I've never seen Lost and I still thought it was shite!
Flag
Sort of makes your opinion shite doesn't it?

I have seen Lost. And it was shite in the end though.
Flag
I think you may have misread my comment which is made in reference to the above comment from whiplash-999.

"And to all of those who didn't like the show, grow up, stop burdening new shows with the failure of past shows, judge each show according to its own merits and not because its not as good as LOST, or Fringe, or etc"

Perhaps I should have written:

"I've never seen Lost and I still thought 'The After' was shite!

Hopefully this makes more sense to you as I obviously cannot comment on something I have'nt seen.-:)
Flag
I was really diappointed in The After, the characters were the worst thing about it and im going to check out Transparent since alot people here seem to like it.
Flag
What? Tim Surette is a lefty troll who makes conservatives look like illiterate buffoons?

Well I never would have guessed.

Seriously, Surette. Your pieces would be a lot better if you displayed a little maturity and fairness. If you can't have a balanced perspective on your fellow man, how can we trust you to have a balanced perspective on anything else?
Flag
This is what you take away from these hilarious "Amazon reviews"? That is really sad.
Flag
Yes, it is sad that something that should have been equal parts funny and informative, is instead crapped upon in a very noticeable way by the writer being inappropriate.

What if he'd made women or gay people or Muslims look stupid? Would you be criticizing my point then, or supporting me?
Flag
Since he didn't make a whole category of people look stupid by giving an example of a less than well educated person making silly remarks I don't know how to answer you. Except to say, I am sorry you feel this example is somehow representative of all conservatives. You must know a lot of strange people.
Flag
Unfortunately Mr. Surette has done this before -- he sometimes uses his reviews to get little jabs in at people who don't agree with him politically. I wouldn't care if it was all in fun, but my impression from his comments over time is that they are more mean-spirited than friendly ribbing.

And while I *do* know a lot of strange people, including many conservatives, I don't know any that say or think the things Mr. Surette implies. I don't agree with them on everything, but still they don't deserve to be mocked from an inappropriate bully pulpit.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and politeness. It's a rare thing these days.
Flag
Transparent has great potential. I loved the pilot. I had no idea what the big reveal was goingt o be. Just hilarious.

Bosch was okay, I have read the books (because I CAN READ) and I've often thought who could play him. He's complicated. Perhaps the Noir feel will mitigate.
Flag
The after was the best of a bad bunch for me. I'd probably stick with it through a season though, just to see what the demon thing's about - I'm guessing the 'After' is after the 'rapture' or something like that (a bit like 'the leftovers')....?
Flag
The After: The After was horrible. Never before have a come across a group of characters in a post-apocalyptic film and/or series that I hate more. Self-absorbed, hysterical, and bad-decision makers the lot of them. The cliff-hanger ending was left-field, and one may be willing to tune in again to see what's next, but with these characters, it'll be difficult to justify.

Bosch: A serialised cop drama that doesn't really offer anything new. Henry Bosch is surprisingly generic and boring, despite undoubtedly having some personal issues regarding the new homicide his working, or the fact that he's on trial for murder. There was nothing wrong with the series per se, but there was nothing exciting about it either.

Mozart In The Jungle: A refreshing setting/ occupation to base a contemporary series in, but it remains to be seen how quickly the scenery and music talk will grow stale. There is the potential for some great characters here, but their are others, like the new conductor, and the leads' best friend, that are obviously only there to provide the necessary 'comedic' aspect of the show, and their caricatures fall flat. If they are able to be reigned in though, and the premise doesn't wear thin, it could remain entertaining.

The Rebels: The Rebels wasn't nearly as bad as its logline makes it out to be. Yes, the premise is a little far-fetched, and the 'joke' of a woman running a football team is already wearing thin by the end of the pilot, it was still rather enjoyable. The series is full of great casting, and the rapport between Zea and WHOEVER is excellent. As with Mozart In The Jungle though, an attempt to find humour resulted in a couple of painful scenes, including Zea trying to discuss masturbation and a gun-totting monkey high on cocaine. Nothing spectacular, but fun nonetheless.

Transparent: While not necessarily likable, the main trio of siblings are most certainly realistic and relatable in their own ways. It difficult to see where a series like this progresses after a pilot, but all of the pilots available to watch, Transparent seems the most well-developed, a series that knows what it is, and what it wants to say.

More+
Flag
I loved "Transparent". Truly awesome stuff. I haven't seen any of the others yet, but I'll probably only watch "Mozart in the jungle" now.
Flag
Transparent is filled with character "otherness" too good to pass up. Excellent writing, really a standout. I'll check out Bosch.
Flag
Haven't seen any of them but enjoyed this form of review very much!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Careful, jokes like that might lead to posts getting flagged by accident. ;-)
Flag
Sorry to hear Bosch wasn't better, that was the one I thought sounded the most interesting. Also, it's a shame you don't know how to read, Tim, it must make correcting your writing very difficult.
Flag
I think you may have hit on why they still don't have an edit function.
Flag

Flag
The After, Bosch, and Transparent in that order. Enough with the juvenile comedies already, as if network tv doesn't already offer enough of that drivel
Flag
I'm getting really tired of that "Another Lost ripoff" comment. Every time a TV show with even a hint of mystery is created, people complain that someone is trying to reinvent the wheel, which apparently Lost already single-handedly did. Give it a rest, people. Producers are allowed to make TV with spooky plots without somehow having to apologize for defecating on the Sacred Memory of Lost.

About the pilot: The After had a hint of promise. It had some really annoying plot holes, for example concerning the millions of other people in LA who don't know what's happening. Are they just going to roam around like zombies? But I guess these holes are things that can be overlooked as long as we keep the focus on the group of main characters. I was also a little disappointed that the ending of the pilot seemed to indicate that the show will take a supernatural route instead of the sci-fi one. I was hoping for more of a "War of the Worlds" theme. Other than these complaints, I assume the show could be a fun ride. Things must start happening from episode two onwards, the main characters can't just be running around like headless chicken. I trust that Carter has some great ideas, but there is always the risk that he'll start pulling us deeper and deeper into a rabbit hole with more questions than answers.
More+
Flag
I agree, every mysterious show is not ripping off of Lost, it's ripping off of Twin Peaks lol j/k I will only relate a show to Lost, if in the last season they try to force unreasonable answers down our throat which makes the whole series pointless. I actually did like Lost and didn't think it was pointless, but it could have ended a season or two earlier if that was going to be the big reveal.
Flag
A pilot is a uniquely American thing, you have a pilot season that is supposed to weed out the crap and then bad shows still get made it's odd. I don't see the point of committing to any show that probably has a 20-25% chance of being turned into a properly planned out series. If I was going to watch any of these it would be Transparent, The After and possibly the Mozart thing, the latter purely for the music though.
Some how the decent shows we get in the UK come out as a fully realised series from the start (or there's an unaired pilot that gets a season order) it's the benefit of the 6 episode order even if it is a failure only 6 episodes have been made and when the series is good you get 6 eps no filler.
Let me know when one of these is made as a series and it's good.....
Flag
I thought of a lot of shows watching the After but Lost wasn't one of them until the Cliffhanger. It started of as the web series H+ then Flash forward and a bit of the Walking Death (without zombies)
Flag
The After was really stupid and a Sci-fi show that starts out stupid is never a good idea... But maybe we shouldn't call it a Sci-fi show but a Fantasy show, because of the cliffhanger.
Flag
Yes, it's definitely not a sci-fi show. The mystery is a supernatural/religious one, and the highest forms of technology we've seen on the show are cars and cell phones, and the cell phones don't even work.
Flag
Right, I kept thinking why run all the way up a skyscraper to grab a cell phone, when it had already been established that phones don't work. That's today's generation for you though, people are simply lost without having a phone in their hand, even if it doesn't work as a phone anymore.
Flag
"The After" is great. I really love it. Chris Carter is back !
Flag
1. The After
2. The Rebels
3. Bosch
Great non-network TV! Non-censored! This is the way to go. Compare to Banshee, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Spartacus, True Detective, Black Sails, Strike Back, Homeland, Ray Donovan, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Hemlock Grove, etc. Also some great network TV shows: Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Vikings, Orphan Black, 24, Almost Human, Arrow, The Blacklist, Defiance, Helix, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Revolution, and more...
Flag
One of the shows from last season on Amazon: Betas, was better than any of the new looking pilots. Betas started off a little quirky but quickly built into something very funny and entertaining. The only show worth making into a series here is "The After" and it wasn't all that great.
Flag
You made me watch Transparent, Tim, and it was terrible! I hated everything about it, but especially the terrible lighting. What is it that today's "honest" show has to be underlit?
I did love Mozart though, I'd love to see more.
Flag
I watched Transparent twice and didn't notice the lighting problem at all. Every scenes lighting felt appropriate for the setting it was in
Flag
I guess it's not so much a technical difficulty as a certain filming fashion popular these days. Girls is probably the best example, with everything looking brown and glum and ugly (no, I don't mean the actors, I mean setting). Personally, I hate it.
Flag
Ah I see what you mean. Hannibal is a lot like that too. Conversely, Brian Fuller's other show Pushing Daisies was all bright and pretty and lollipops lol (or this case Pies). I think you'd like that show a lot, I have the entire series courtsey of Amazon
Flag
I saw a few episodes of it, it was surrealist pretty (kind of fun though). I don't mean Transparent and the likesshould be like that, but some middle ground would be nice.
Flag
Definitely Mozart in the Jungle, the pilot was great!!
Flag
I watched the Pilot of The After ... and I think it was a good start ! I still have no idea how the story is going to unfold but I am really eager to see. I hope it will not disappoint me. So fingers crossed :)
Flag
The biggest problem I had with all of these pilots is that their "edge" seemed to be adding unnecessary swearing and in some cases nudity. I liked the Rebels, mainly because it's harmless but it has the potential to get really good like many network shows that start off kind of "eh" but then get good. The after... yeeshh the only reason I stuck through the whole pilot was for aldis hodge and wondering when Jamie Kennedy would come on. The lead seems to be a French actress who can't act, playing a french actress who can? I dunno. Transparent... I couldn't get through it. It was trying too hard to be modern and hip and "in". Plus the wig on Jeffery Tambor's head was distracting. I get why it was there but still. I have yet to watch Mozart in the Jungle or Bosch but neither really interested me. I actually like the "eggheads" pilot the best. Isn't it weird how shows aimed at kids sometimes are the most watchable? I mean it was silly but the animation quality was solid and it delivered on its simple premise without the baggage of trying to be edgy.
I'm not dying to see any of the shows but if I had one to choose to see picked up it would actually be the Rebels. Maybe amazon shows need to pass a 4 episode test too.
More+
Flag
Transparent - Nobody wants to spoil"the reveal" but if you can't figure out the aging patriarch's secret that might tear the family apart from the title alone, you're not just going in blind, you're going in stupid.
Flag
lol Exactly!! The title itself is a play on what the show is (in part) about. Not to mention, paying attention to the 'father' the 'reveal' is given away at the group therapy and after the dinner session when he takes to reading in bed.
Flag
I'm glad I read these prior to watching the pilots. I had little interest in watching them and just may give 'em a try for the hell of it.

I'm disappointed by The After. I had zero anticipation but all I knew about it was christ carter and kebel. with hodge & kennedy it was sounding slightly promising until the mention of their characters. from the sound of it the amazon actually got the rating on this one right though? being the lowest.

I have zero intention of providing feedback on this round of shows though. your favorite show is the second lowest rated. during the last round of pilots I though ONN was good enoguh that with some money behind it it could be well-polished. "those who teach(?)" was a runner up and all others I quit mid-airing. I would be shocked if history was not set to repeat itself upon my watching and rating these pilots.

good read though and I hope you really submitted those fake reviews to the site.
Flag
I'd vote for The After; it has a potential to be a very good drama/mystery
Flag
After! I liked it. It was somewhat clumsy, but given time and some more twists it could be fun. I've personally found Lost to be way overrated--- yeah I said it, overrated. Good luck to After.
Flag
The After was seriously slow to start, but after the first twenty five minutes it exploded. I was WTF twice a minute after that. Really hope it gets picked up.
It also helps that MY birthday is March 7th. Apocalypse coming soon to my house! Hmmm
Flag
in "The After" why was the cop riding on the outside of the back of the ambulance? (one of many WTF moments (and there really were many) in a show that has an interesting premise)
Flag
I said in one of my comments that Officer Munez made me wish Officer Linda from Under the dome had been there instead. I wasn't kidding. Munez is at least as useless as Linda, and not as pretty.
Flag
The After - was okay. The primary actress was ANNOYING! Who would pine over a phone that is going to loose power in a disaster event. PLEASE!!! Otherwise the end was intriguing.

The Rebels - Production value was really good. I concept that has always been found on the big screen. I'll watch for several reasons, 1. Natalie Zea (wow) and 2. It is about Football. Josh Peck puts in a decent performance. Not the best of the five but a good solid show.

Mozart In the Jungle - Fame meets Gossip Girl. Great production value, written well and a good cast. That makes me want to watch more. Yes the pot smoking of a woodwind is pretty stupid.

Bosch - Typical procedure. Well framed and the lighting has me sold. I like how some film makers are taking chance with DSLRs to do depth of field and low light filming. The story is somewhat interesting, and has my vote. ONE minor issue the love interest is forced and absolutely no chemistry between the two actors.

Transparent - Ha, good word use. Not a big fan of the show. I see its potential and think most of the cast is VERY talented. I will reserve my judgement if this gets picked up.

Amazon did well in its second season. Beta's and Alpha House are pretty good and they showed that content can be made outside of the traditions distribution means. I would like to see more content and maybe even present a "dark horse" indie show for next season.
More+
Flag
The After & Mozart
Flag
The After I found to be pretty decent, everytime you think you knew what was going on it threw you anothe curve, I liked the players the writers wanted us to like and disliked the ones they wanted us to dislike. And dont get me started about the mysteries.
Bosch I saw too and also really liked. It was like watching a Dick Wolf TV Cop procedural. ....I didnt see the rest.
Flag
Haha this is brilliant. And so appropriate!
Flag
Staff
WHAT IS AMAZON
Flag
Love the format of this article!!

"Mozart..." and "Transparent" for me :)
Flag
Bosch, The Rebels and The After.
Flag
Shame none of these shows make me want to subscribe to Amazon Prime, if they could focus their resources one show at a time like Netflix, maybe they'll have a better chance. Oh well, I wonder how Hulu is doing...
Flag
It's not shipping you goods in 2 days for free, that's for damned sure.
Flag
The After? Anyone for seconds? No, I thought not...
Flag
None of shows seemed brilliant, but The After seemed intriguing sci-fi/fantasy mystery and I miss Lost so, I'll take what I can get. Also it had Leverage and Heroes actors, which make me happy.
Flag
Honestly, I'm actually interested in all of these except Transparent... and yet I can somehow say Transparent was probably the best made out of all of them. I just have a personal preference against shows that are so... gloomy? Not funny... not dramatic. The style is just too boring for me.

The After is like a lot of high-concept shows: not that good outside of the concept. It's an interesting plot surrounded by pretty poor acting, pretty poor dialogue, and pretty poor writing overall.

Mozart in the Jungle was okay. I don't play any instruments and I have no interest in the classical genre, but the idea of the show was still interesting enough. I liked the acting -- the protagonist was good -- and most of the writing was decent.

I was probably a bit tougher on Bosch because I love the novels from Michael Connelly. Again, it was okay. I liked that it was actually pretty true to the books, and Titus Welliver did a good job with the role. It moved a bit too slowly in parts, though, without being interesting enough, so I sometimes fought with bouts of boredom. But yeah, I guess I generally liked it.

The Rebels is tough to put my finger on. I thought the humor was sometimes a bit too... stupid? Sure, that's as good a word as any. I could have done with less "stupid humor." Plenty of football players are stupid, but these guys were too stupid. A fairly inexperienced GM is one thing, but the guy Josh Peck was playing was a bit too much so. That said, some of the humor was kinda up my alley, and I like the plot and Natalie Zea enough.

Of the five, I'd probably choose Bosch if I had to support one to be picked up, but as I said, I like the novels so there's some bias there -- I can't definitively say it was my favorite pilot of the bunch. I'd be fine with The After, Mozart in the Jungle, and The Rebels, too... I'd try them all. But I'm probably not gonna watch any more of Transparent, despite the solid acting and writing and whatever.
More+
Flag
"I love a good sci-fi mystery as much as the next dude"

It's not a sci-fi mystery. It's a supernatural/religious mystery

"The beginning is painfully slow"

And yet they all started to get paranoid about the situation much sooner than they should have.

"If the characters were interesting, that might be excusable, but they're really, really bad, they say stupid things, and they're so dumb it's a wonder they're not already dead."

Agreed. The characters and the dialogue are the show's weakest points. The actors and the story are pretty bad too.

"Even if you make it to the cliffhanger, you'll likely just shrug your shoulders because you've probably seen it all before"

I don't think I've seen that before. I'm not sure what to make of it. I guess that either it's the end of the world because God said so, or they fell to their deaths in that elevator and the rest of the show is purgatory.
Flag
The After was a pretty standard apocalypse movie with the usual suspects of moronic characters. It could be lifted from basically any show or movie about the apocalypse and there you would have it. I do seriously question the casting director in giving Kennedy a show that people might want to watch.

The Rebels,. It has everything it needs for a good show, not great, just good. It was smart limiting it to a half hour. But I could see it working. And shockingly Natalie Zea doesn't play an annoying character. There are an infinite number of zany situations that could be brought forth and a decent cast to pull them off. If they had stayed away from the coked up monkey and it shooting things it wouldn't have looked as amateur.
Flag
Spot on about The Rebels.
Flag
Ok here is my list from favorite to least favorite of amazon's pilots
Transparent - OK Tim and I agree the best of the bunch, why? Well for me it's Jeffery Tambor her has always been awesome actor. I just really liked the realism about the show and how this family will have to deal with the father's reveal, being that they are so into themselves. I really hope this show makes it to series.
Bosch- The lead and great writing and acting is the reason this show makes my number two. Has it been done yup, but at least the acting is top notch
The After - Was waiting to see the Lost reference, and it happened. This genre always interests me even when acting is poor.
Motzart in the Jungle - The Classical theme doesn't appeal to me, but anything with Malcolm McDowell I'll watch, have been of fan of him since Heroes. Overall the show was Ok.
The Rebels - Honestly it's been done more times than I care to admit so not interested at all
I actually thought Necessary Roughness when I finished watching it.

More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members