Treme Forums

HBO (ended 2013)

Do lowered expectations and personal pain equal success for a rehashed story?

CthulhuSaves

[1]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 4
    Quote: "Some characters seethe with frustration over slow insurance checks. One angrily hurls the microphone of a sneering TV reporter into the river and another battles bureaucracy in a search for an imprisoned relative who was moved in the Katrina chaos."

Wow. Watching civilians suffer and complain will be far more entertaining than, say, an identical setting and period that focused on a couple of local detectives hunting bad guys through the devastated city of New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina!

***cough*** K-Ville ***cough*** canceled 1st season with unaired eps ***cough***

Geeeennniiiuuuussssss
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marlily

[2]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 5

Well, I disagree. Just from the first episode, this is already much better than that load of you know what show. I may be biased, being from New Orleans, but I think this series will be awesome.

guytwo

[3]Apr 16, 2010
    • level: 7
    This book about the flood might be of interest to you. "Zeitoun" By: Dave Eggers

Barnardsmark

[4]May 3, 2010
    • level: 8
    This show is definitely not K-Ville. If there is any comparison to be made (and I mean this in only the greatest ways), it is with Glee. The primary differences being:
    1. Treme has MUCH better musicians/song selection/overall musicality. Even the theme is ridiculously better than any song that Glee has done, not to mention the Carnivale Indian songs. Woo, good good music.
    2. Much better/real actors/acting. Everybody knows that the Glee kids can sing, but those kids can't act their way out of a box. The same will never be said of any of the actors on Treme.
    3. Substantive story lines and writing. Glee (and for that matter) Kville is one cliche after another. Yeah, there are a lot of people complaining in the show, but come on, you'd be crazy if you think that a person in their situation should just keep their mouth shut.

I haven't kept up with Breaking Bad this season, but from what I've seen so far, Treme is the second coming of The Wire (for obvious reasons). If the music doesn't get you hooked, you aren't really listening.

GapingHeadwound

[5]May 5, 2010

Haven't seen K-town but Treme is looking good so far... really good. The acting, writing and directing are all outstanding. The music is better. Also, it appears that to CthulhuSaves, trolling is not so much a art as a contrivance.

marthanewsome

[6]May 8, 2010
    • level: 1

Ok I am pretty pissed off on this topic.

They explored pain between men and females through their hands. Wrong!!!! If they could rig up proper child birth and contractions in a male it would be more relevant to what they did.

I am insulted as a woman to say that we can't stand pain more than a man. I have had these examples of induring more through my life. My husband and I even explored the ice one. I lasted a whole 2 minutes more than him.

I have broke my arm and lasted all night dancing before I dropped. I did this for a friend who recovered from cancer. My husband was the biggest baby when he did something similar.

I have suffered from endometriosis for years before being diagnosed and I thought I was normal untill I hemeraged.

Maybe we are looking at a learned response to pain, rather than pain tolerance. If you get pain often you learn to tolerate more than someone that doesnt?

What do you think?

GapingHeadwound

[7]May 8, 2010

marthanewsome wrote:

Ok I am pretty pissed off on this topic.

They explored pain between men and females through their hands. Wrong!!!! If they could rig up proper child birth and contractions in a male it would be more relevant to what they did.

I am insulted as a woman to say that we can't stand pain more than a man. I have had these examples of induring more through my life. My husband and I even explored the ice one. I lasted a whole 2 minutes more than him.

I have broke my arm and lasted all night dancing before I dropped. I did this for a friend who recovered from cancer. My husband was the biggest baby when he did something similar.

I have suffered from endometriosis for years before being diagnosed and I thought I was normal untill I hemeraged.

Maybe we are looking at a learned response to pain, rather than pain tolerance. If you get pain often you learn to tolerate more than someone that doesnt?

What do you think?

Awesome!

Geertvdheide

[8]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 10

It's been a month since the last post, and I know I should probably let this topic die, but I just want to say to the troll that started this thread, CthulhuSaves:

Tremé is a completely different showfrom K-Ville. I haven't seen the latter and it might be great, but why even compare the two? You're probably feeling crossed about K-Ville being cancelled, that's understandable. But don't take it out on a great show that has nothing to do with K-Ville.

And Tremé isn't about complaining, it's a series about very interesting and very real characters in a city that has a lot of problems. Of course those problems are going to be addressed, and of course there will be complaining. There's also real emotion, heart, fantastic music and memorable storylines, plus amazing directing and acting. It's one of those rare shows that point out just how contrived and formulaic pretty much everything else on TV really is. Tremé doesn't need to tell its story using the familiar structures and plot devices that have become so embedded in (American) TV. Just for that it deserves praise.

Oh and about the title of this topic: Lowered expectations? Rehashed story? What in the world are you talking about? It's okay though, there's probably a large majority of people who don't appreciate real television like The Wire and Tremé, so you're not alone. I know you're just a troll laughing from behind the safety of your internet connection, but this needed to be said anyway

Edited on 06/11/2010 10:03am
    Edited 2 total times.