Treme

Meet De Boys on the Battlefront

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 18, 2010 on HBO

Okay, so this was a little better than the pilot. You could actually understand what was happening and it was not just a bunch of, "Diss city neva sleeps, diss No Orleans!" jibber jabber, but this is still not a very compelling show. The drama is far and between, and there are too many scenes that serve little no purpose being peppered throughout the episode.

The show just has that one theme: life is tough, and sticks to it like glue. I do not think people want to watch a depressing show every Sunday night and even though Treme got renewed already, expect the ratings to continually decline.
  • Like watching an average episode of Sopranos or Mad Men, i.e. virtually nothing happened.

Virtually nothing happened.
    What I mean by that is NOT that the episode did not have its octane moments (Clark/Peters annihilating the break-in kid) or that it wasn't intriguing at moments. However, and this is a big however, it was reminiscent a lot more of Sopranos or Mad Men in that we simply followed the day-to-days of protagonists rather than what the Wire did - present their lives but wrapped up in a combustible, interesting relationships, situations and settings. Inevitably, that leads to let-downs.
    In the episode, things 'simply happened'. The question that we must ask, though is - would it matter if they didn't - and the answer, for the most part, is a resounding NO. I can appreciate the getting-to-know the now ex-DJ Sonny (Zahn). I can even go with the 'son in jail' story because the payoff was - the system doesn't work even when it apparently does. But the length of the tourists/street performers time throughout the episode was just unnecessary. All these small snippets of the hardship of lives is too much, not because they shouldn't be shown, but because the intensity is on the level with our lives - and that makes a good documentary, not a good (durable) drama.
    Personally, I don't care much for the music in the show; but I don't mind the emphasis. However, if a major emphasis of a show doesn't suit me - I'm just not going to watch the show.
    Oh, and *where are the bad guys*??? I know that sounds immature, but if everyone's an anti-hero and if the only true bad guy is the system, we're going nowhere - plodding.
    So, in short, a let-down from the last week and in general. Hope it bounces back.