Tremors

Feeding Frenzy

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Mar 28, 2003 on Syfy

• "A monster of a pilot"

A very good start to the tremors series, with introducing the favourite monster (the graboid). It is an endangered species and is named El Blanco, the 14 citizens of perfection valley put up living with this creature as well as alot of other threats in the valley. Any way in this episode El Blanco is on a feeding frenzy and is eating much more than what he should Burt ( the famous paranoid miliatary anti socinoid) and the new guy tyler try to work out what the problem is. A very good start indeed.
  • Tremors the series starts off with a story about our old favourite, the Graboid itself. What better way to start the series than with a monster we all know and love!

The first episode quickly reintroduces the Tremors premise for those viewers who do not know it already. Perfection, a small town out in the middle of the desert in America lives in Harmony (?) with a large underground travelling creature called a Graboid, El Blanco is its’ name.
    The creature is government protected, due to circumstances form the third film I believe, and the town is now on government land as well. Sort of like a national park but without a park or any friendly creatures!. This means that the townspeople cannot kill EL Blanco except as a last resort to protect themselves. Because of this their lifestyle is also protected, the laws that protect El Blanco protect the land and Perfection as well.
    The three returning characters are quickly reintroduced, along with farmer Rosalita and new tour guide operator Tyler.
    The other main character is W.D. Twitchell, government agent and foil for Burt’s theories.

The first episode keeps it simple, which is probably why it is so much fun and very similar in tone to the first film, by concentrating on just the inhabitants and El Blanco, who is in a ‘Feeding Frenzy’. They townspeople have to find out why and stop it before they end up being the next meal.

All in all this is a great introduction to the series. Setting everything up quickly and smoothly while also assuming that you do know at least something of the Tremors back story. I caught up very quickly and only really know the story of the first film.
    What will be interesting to see though is where the writers are going to take the series form here. The potential of El Blanco is not enough to keep a whole series going. I know there are the smaller creatures from the second film and having a quick look at info on the third leads me to believe there is yet another new creature in that one. Still 3 species for a series will not be enough. Without something else the stories will become very stale very quickly.
    Still I am looking forward to exploring the potential inherent in the series. I am looking forward to the next couple of episodes and when it comes down to it that is the most important thing a writer can do in the first episode, make you intrigued enough to come back for more!