A Trophy Wife Community
ABC (ended 2014)

Are you already exhausted by all the new television? Well SUCK IT UP because the fall season just getting started! Or just let us take the punches for you, wuss. We'll be handing out free advice about all the new fall network shows in an effort to help you find the ones that are right for you. Up next: ABC's Trophy Wife!

So what's this Trophy Wife?

First, the technical specs: It's a half-hour single-camera comedy. Next, the plot: A woman marries an older man and ends up with an instant family thanks to his two previous marriages. A former party gal, she's now a stepmother of three and the new girl in the unusual but increasingly more common family dynamic.

Who is the trophy wife? And who created the series?

Childrens Hospital and Watchmen star Malin Akerman is the hot young mama, and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip's Bradley Whitford plays the lucky older gentleman. Marcia Gay Harden and Michaela Watkins play the ex-wives. Sarah Haskins and Emily Halpern co-created the series.

When does Trophy Wife premiere?

Trophy Wife debuts Tuesday, September 24 at 9:30pm on ABC, as part of the network's all-new Tuesday-night lineup. It follows fellow newbie comedy The Goldbergs and leads into new drama Lucky 7.

Compare Trophy Wife to some other shows because I love comparisons.

Hmmm... it's probably most comparable to Modern Family in that it's a comedy about a non-traditional family. Pick a recent-ish Christina Applegate sitcom (Up All Night, Samantha Who?), and there's some of that in there, too.

What will I enjoy about Trophy Wife?

Akerman is impossible not to like. Her character isn't written as an easy target, she's not a ditz with a heart of gold. In fact, many of the tropes you'd expect are completely absent. The ex-wives, while they each have strong personality quirks, aren't vindictive bitches; Whitford's character isn't a horndog; the kids aren't monsters or morons. Nothing is oversold here, which is quite refreshing. Even the relationship between Akerman and Whitford is believable. Watkins, whose work you may know from Enlightened, plays a completely different type of character and this could be her breakout role. But ultimately, Trophy Wife is about a family—an unusual family—full of people who care for each other.

And what might I not appreciate about it?

It's not hilarious yet. So if you're looking for a breakthrough comedy, this won't be it. Instead, it's entirely watchable but not absolutely mandatory.

Gimme a final verdict! Should I watch it or not?

You certainly aren't going to hate it, and there's a chance you'll really like it. So there's no harm in giving this a watch. Do it.

Let's see a trailer.

Okay:

Trophy Wife premieres Tuesday, September 24 at 9:30pm on ABC.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/13/2014

Season 1 : Episode 22

35 Comments
Comments (35)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I already saw the pilot and I actually had a few LOL- moments! It's pretty funny!
Flag
Sorry, no. Nothing in the promotional materials or reviews has suggested this will work. I cannot stand Marcia Gay Harden's bitter smugness; I can't stomach the premise; I think the whole thing looks somewhat miscast for the concept; and it's ABC whose particular production style on shows like this is gratingly similar every time.
Flag
Looks like it will be good.
Flag
Definitely the best pilot I’ve watched so far this season! I am looking forward to episode 2.
Flag
I liked it a lot...however, it' ABC!! most likely will be doomed!
Flag
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of get attach to some of these shows and then they are over.
Flag
I think this looks great. Akerman and Whitford (of The West Wing, btw) are both brilliant. I think the cast is great and the writing is excellent, but, as Tim said, it's not laugh out loud funny, which is bad news for a sitcom. Add to that the fact that it follows The Goldbergs, which is 'meh' at best, and it's followed by Lucky 7, which is Dead Pool bait, I think this show is also, very unfortunately, going to drown in the Dead Pool. But I hope I'm wrong.
Flag
I do not watch much comedies but I liked the pilot ! So I will watch a few more till I lose interest. Hard for comedies to keep me interested for a whole season. Only episodes (probably as it is short) and The Mindy project are the only comedies I watched.
Flag
I liked the pilot. I'll watch.
Flag
seem the pilot. loved it
Flag
i watched the first episode and i thought it was quite funny at times will be watching more to see how goes
Flag
This has all of the makings of a successful show, it has pretty people, funny people, is rather "modern" etc. However, there was something missing in the pilot. It might be the writing or the fact that it seemed way too busy. I know that they wanted to introduce everyone and it is a fairly large cast, but it was really busy and it seemed force. So the writers have a fairly daunting task of balancing everyone and still bringing the funny. If they can thread that needle, it will be a success, it not, it won't last to season two.
Flag
This looks irritating. Like, really irritating. I'm out.
Flag
So, I love Bradley Whitford but when I first heard what this is about I thought "Why would he do that?". Then I sat down and watched the pilot and I was so pleasantly surprised. It really is a show to watch out for and has a lot of heart! I especially liked the hippie kind of mom.
Flag
I'm going to watch it, but I don't trust ABC because they Always Be Canceling.
Flag
I will give it a try, let's see where it goes.
Flag
Studio 60 on the sunset strip was the best you could do? ohh geez its not like he had a big role on say The West Wing or even a quite large supporting role in Cabin in the Woods
Flag
Heh, your only citation for Brad Whitford was Studio 60. Way to pick the obscurest possible one. ;-)

I've always like Brad and really enjoyed Malin on Childrens Hospital so I'll gladly give this a try. My only regret is that so many of the cast members from CH keep getting better and more high-profile jobs. That's good for them but bad for CH. If they lose Rob Huebel permanently, it'll be game over for them.

Flag
I actually saw the pilot and it is good. I think there are a lot of interesting dynamics and they seemed to recognize the intro funny dynamic was the youngest kid and the best friend. It does have that Modern Family first season vibe. I do hope we get more flashbacks because I think I might have freaked in the e.r.
Flag
I watched the pilot OnDemand, and got about 9 minutes in before I turned it off. The only other time I've done that this season is Dads. I guess if I wanted to be disappointed by a promising cast, I'd get on The Netflick and queue up Edison Force.

I suppose if Tim likes it, I should give it another try, because all my experience with his writings lead me to believe he's difficult to please (and some days, he makes Robert Bianco look like a ray of sunshine). I suppose the problem is that it's not hilarious YET...and while I don't want a sitcom to blow its comedy wad on the pilot, the pilot should at least be interesting enough for me to watch all of it.
Flag
This is one of the few pilots I have already watched, and I liked it, and I laughed a few times, but Akerman is what is going to bring me back. She is such a likable character, and it is hard not to root for her. I'll give this the four episode test, and see if it gets any funnier, but overall I liked it, but I'm not sure it is appointment viewing just yet.
Flag
I agree she's the best part of the show. The rest of the cast is just average. I'm not sure how long I can hang in with a show where I only like one character even if she is the main.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members