A Trophy Wife Community
ABC (ended 2014)

Yup, after 6pm on a Friday night. That's when ABC likes to do all of its business. The breaking news on this weekend eve is that Trophy Wife and The Goldbergs have earned full-season pickups, and Super Fun Night (ugh!) has seen its season extended by four episodes. But the good news stops there: Back in the Game is over for good as soon as it's done with its initial 13-episode order. 

For Trophy Wife and The Goldbergs, that means 22-episode seasons and a huge sigh of relief. As Trophy Wife's Warren would say, "This is superfluous news!" Though Trophy Wife is widely considered to be the best new network comedy of the season by chatty critics, it's been suffering on Tuesday nights (this week, it rang up a 1.4 rating in the adult demo). Same but different for The Goldbergs: Though the '80s-set sitcom is not as highly praised, it did punch in slightly higher ratings than Trophy Wife (1.7 rating among adults this week). Now if only ABC could squeeze both comedies onto the network's Wednesday-night schedule, where they belong. 

Super Fun Night didn't get the full back-nine order. ABC asked for only four more episodes, and with good reason, as the Rebel Wilson comedy just hasn't taken advantage of its huge Modern Family lead-in. The last time Modern Family wasn't a repeat (October 23), Super Fun Night lost nearly half of the Emmy-hogging comedy's audience: Modern Family drew 10 million viewers and a hefty 3.9 rating among 18-49ers, and Super Fun Night followed that with 5.79 million viewers and a 2.1 rating among adults. Networks HATE to see that sort of drop. Of course, I don't blame people for not watching Super Fun Night, because the show is undeniably terrible. ABC really blew it by putting it behind Modern Family, and I'll say it for the quadrillionth time: Trophy Wife should take its place. 

And it'll be 13 and out for Back in the Game, as ABC won't be ordering any more episodes of the Little League comedy. This kind of bums me out because I liked the series, but at least it'll run out its initial 13-episode order. Someone get Maggie Lawson back on a show ASAP. She's terrific. And Ben Koldyke, too. And that chubby kid, while we're at it. 

Have it it: Good decisions? Bad decisions? Which of these shows are you watching and liking? Will you miss Back in the Game?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/13/2014

Season 1 : Episode 22

141 Comments
Comments (141)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Back in the Game never quite clicked. But, Maggie's character's SON was AMAZING. I couldn't believe how believable he was! (see what I did there?)

He was my favorite one to watch. But, I actually stopped watching after the first 5 or 6. Really wasn't all that funny, to me.
Flag
Sad news. Perhaps it was not the best, but "Back in the game" was starting to grow on me.
Flag
Are you forgetting that Maggie Lawson still works on her other show Psych? She is a million times better on PSYCH that than this trash. She is so awesome as Juliet O'Hara and i can't wait to see her on the already filmed season 8 which airs early 2014 and also we will see her even sooner on “Psych: The Musical” which airs on USA December 15th. With Maggie doing BITG season 8 was looking to be Psych's final season but now that her schedule has freed up we may even get a season 9. THIS IS GREAT NEWS FOR PSYCH FANS (or Psych-os as we are known) :)
Flag
Psych announced it's final episode is running in March. And, she had a limited run this season, anyway, due to Back In The Game.
Flag
Man ABC suck...
Flag
I'm so happy that The Goldbergs got ordered for a full season. It takes me back to that era of good times for me.
Flag
Looks like I got three out of five right for the deadpool. I was right that various networks would cancel different shows and that the CW would not be one of them. FOX and the CW still have yet to cancel a show, but hopefully I'll know better for next time.
Flag
I liked Back in the Game, it was a solid comedy, but the premise of a baseball-show kind of alienates people not into baseball, or not from the US...
Flag
I'm not from the US and I don't know anything about baseball but I really enjoy this show. Since the baseball is just the reason for all the characters to know and interact with each other it shouldn't matter if you like the sport or not. It may have been the reason people didn't initially watch it though if they assumed that was the main focus of the show.
Flag
I LOVE Trophy Wife, my favourite new comedy.
Flag
Im really bummed about Back in The Game! I really like it and Maggie Lawson is great in it! Not sure why they wouldnt give it a bit more time. I like it more than trophy wife.
Flag
Swap Super Fun Night and Back In The Game and i would have been happy, i like them all except SFN, im not gonna begrude the people that DO like SFN though. I'm not one of those tools that demand every show they dont like should be cancelled, regardless of how many other people like it.
Flag
Thanks Tim! My kid's the chubby one! The story line gets better as the shows roll on. Brandon has an episode on nov 13 that deals with kids and divorce. Maybe we'll get a Hail Mary from somewhere!
Flag
Yay for Trophy Wife and The Goldbergs two of the new shows this season I am reaaly enjoying!
Flag
sweet goldbergs. wasnt too sure after the pilot, but it really got good after that
Flag
Trophy wife confuses me. I really enjoyed the pilot and thought it was very funny. Since then, it's been a real letdown, and I mostly am watching because Malin Akerman is cute, not because it's continued to be funny. They can move that one to Wednesday night--assuming it becomes funny again--but screw moving the Goldbergs or anything else there. Bring back SUBURGATORY to Wednesday nights.....a show that's actually funny. Where is it, anyway? ABC does the goofiest things.
Flag
Yay, I love Trophy Wife ;) Not surprised about Back in the Game, though....it was funny, but not funny enough for me to take the time to actually watch it past the first couple of episodes.
Flag
Awwwww, Back in the Game was actually a bit funny. They should have canceled Trophy Wife instead. Good news for the other two though. Super Fun Night is not haha-funny, but it was actually a bit likable. I would like for it to get another season.
Flag
Cancel Trophy wife and renew Super Fun Night???.. I must take my not-judging-others pill immediately....
Flag
Even if all of them were cancelled i would not miss a single one of them. There is only 4 new shows this season i like and i am beginning to get enough of the 2 of them
Flag
Of course the one show of the lot that i had deemed acceptable and watched is the only one of the lot that gets cancelled. Not surprised since that is my usual luck with tv shows.
Flag
Really disappointed to read about Back In The Game. I thought it was one of the funnier shows on right now.
Flag
yeah, put trophy wife should take after Modern Family
Flag
I'm disappointed that Back in the Game got cancelled. I didn't see it going very far, but its ratings were surprisingly decent and it wasn't as bad compared to others. Also really upset that Psych is *basically* over according to what I hear, and S8 is already through production.
Flag
I knew that was gonna happen. ABC thank you for messing up my dead pool lol
Flag
Ah, ABC, you giveth with one hand and taketh with the other!

I entered right at the deadline, so never expected to win, but I'm still pleasantly surprised at going 4/5 in the Dead Pool (unless everything else holds on until after SFN's +4 ;-)) After last season's craziness, the execs do seem to be a little more rational this year.
Flag
Yeah, fuckin' told you guys Back in the Game wasn't going to have the draw to justify its expensive star! Goddamn you NBC for picking up Sean Saves the World and blowing my Dead Pool sweep!!! Everybody and their dead dogs' ashes knows that Sean Saves the World will get shitcanned at the end of its current order, but "never double down on the network that gave an extension to Guys with Kids" is the lesson I should have learned there.

As for Trophy Wife, I finally watched an episode for a few minutes with family and we all rolled our eyes collectively and ended up distracted - by smartphones, dumbphones, paint drying, dust in corners, and the philosophy of asking what the ceiling smells like - rather stay with that boring show. Not funny? Check. Directed and shot in a grating fashion? Bingo. Cloying attitude? Uh huh. "Best new network comedy"? ... How?

With Super Funk Knight (so many new Ks to make it funner), this show can actually be fixed: get rid of the shitty enemy character, nobody likes to watch an underdog get kicked when it's already down; and tighten up the writing so it actually lives up to its premise, the show is not only not fun enough, its ideas aren't fun enough to watch go horribly wrong or right. But instead they just keep plowing into a mess and ordering more, hoping they'll simply dig their way out of embarrassment. "Build down!"

Maggie Lawson is great, but the writing just wasn't there, she wasn't compelling as a mom or as a woman starting over, this show needed a better hook than "baseball!" (where America goes to eat peanuts, drink watered-down beer, and watch millionaires play a child's game).
More+
Flag
Super FN and Goldbergs are just NOT funny!!!!!!!Rebel Wilson, who the hell thinks she is funny????
At least BITG had some great lines if not unrealistic about coaching kids!
Flag
goldbergs is really funny. after the kinda sucky pilot, it got pretty good. love all the 80's references.
Flag
Well I'm pretty happy with myself, I got four out of five in the Dead Pool.

I had everything but Ironside, and had Betrayal in my Dead Pool instead. I underestimated NBC thinking that they would be more lenient with a rebooted freshman drama, particularly after they considered Chicago Fire a 'success' last season, which is why I left Ironside out. It probably also makes sense that Betrayal wouldn't get cancelled until the end of its thirteen-episode run, in retrospect.

As for the cancelled comedies, I knew there would be one from ABC, I just didn't know which one, and I pretty much guessed Back in the Game. Super Fun Night and the post-Modern Family slot, The Goldbergs was a niche show with the post Agents of SHIELD timeslot, and Trophy Wife was getting a lot of early critical praise, leaving Back in the Game on the chopping block for me.
Flag
took them long enough to cancel back in the game. It was stupid.
Flag
Very surprised Back in the Game was canceled. As noted by TrevPlatt below, it's ratings are basically the same as Super Fun Night. Hopefully, ABC will honor the airing of all episodes left and not decide to pull it off regardless.

What amazes me is that 6 million overall viewers doesn't matter? NBC shows, as well as FOX, are getting half that and they are still on the air. ABC should consider itself lucky in comparison, but guess not.

Back in the Game was OK, but I was getting bothered by the fact that Lawson in no way was coming off as an experienced and athletic baseball/softball player. She does throw like a girl it seems. The kids all being bad players bothered me too. Would have been better to have two or three that were good, which could be material for player conflicts. The British actress seems out of place here too plus you forget she has a kid, as you never see them together.

Trophy Wife is growing on me with each episode, but I kind of wished they had kept the original daughter or not replaced her with the overly perky Disney kid.

I only saw the first episode of The Goldbergs and thought it OK, but haven't had the time to continue with it.

More+
Flag
goldbergs got much better after the pilot. i didnt like it, it was too yelly/loud. if it wasnt for the wife, i would have never watched it
Flag
Am I the only one that doesn't hate Super Fun Night? It's silly, it's fun. I mean it's obviously not brilliant television, but it's amusing to watch when you're bored.
Flag
I like it too
Flag
Go Trophy Wife!
Flag
Oh and as long as Suburgatory is put in BITG's spot and NOT ON TUESDAY, I will be fine. Switch SFN and Trophy Wife, put Suburgatory on post The Middle (like it should've stayed in the damn first place last year), and I'll be ok.
Flag
That's total crap. If Back in the Game were sitting pretty behind Modern Family it would be getting picked up and the horrible Super Fun Night would be getting the axe. ABC morons. We need Maggie Lawson on our TVs.
Flag
You want to see Maggie Lawson on TV THEN GO AND WATCH HER ON PSYCH!! That is a show worth watching and she is way better on that than on Back In The Game. Why are people forgetting that Maggie still has Psych? If you haven't seen her as detective Juliet O'Hara then you are seriously missing out GO WATCH PSYCH… Season 8 starts early next year.
Flag
I am going to miss Back in the Game, I really enjoyed the heck out of it.

Super Fun Night, why oh why do people like crap?
Flag
I really don't understand how Super Fun Night got extended, but throwing confetti is in order for the Goldbergs! Hooray~
Flag
Stupid ABC, cancel the only show on this list that I watch and keep stupid "Super Fun Night" that has been pretty much universally panned as absolute garbage. Its Maggie Lawson and James Caan, they're freakin awesome. Stupid ABC.
Flag
Sad for Back in the Game, but the show's premise (lovable loser sports team) doesn't lend itself to extended time. Either they get better and eventually beat the "good" team, or the team just acts as a backdrop to a family story. Which would be a nice change of pace for the loser sports team genre, but it would ultimately render the whole team pointless. Good show, Caan's great, and the kid is SO MUCH BETTER than he was on Private Practice. I literally cheered for his sadness when his mother died on the show and hoped that managed to catch cancer from her. On this show, he was actually very good.
Flag
I will really miss Back in the game ... I wouldn't have missed Trophy wife of which I didn't watch more than the pilot and don't want to watch more ... Coolfor The Goldbergs and Super fun night though !
Flag
What the EFF!!!! Back in the Game is such a good show. Yayy, to The Goldbergs.
Flag
Yay for Trophy Wife! This show is undeniably the best new comedy and deserves a full order. I'm surprised about Back in the Game, though. I haven't watched it but I got the impression that it was well-liked overall. Did it fail in the ratings?
Flag
I like Super Fun Night! I agree that it could be better/funnier, but I still get a kick out of it!
Flag
Looking at the numbers there's not really much in it between Super Fun Night and Back in the Game, unfortunately. The season averages are:

8:00 The Middle, 2.27 demo, 8.31M viewers
8:30 Back in the Game, 1.87, 6.66
9:00 Modern Family, 4.08, 11.06
9:30 Super Fun Night, 2.33, 6.36

Both shows dropped viewers from their lead-in. Personally I think Back in the Game is the pick of the bunch, It's fun, the kids and Caan are great and Maggie Lawson is a stand-out this season, she's been terrific. I don't mind The Middle but it's currently bottom of my list if I get too many sitcoms vying for places. I never got into Modern Family, I didn't like the pilot and this was before my days of the dedicated 4 Episode Test, now I think it's just too late to join the party. Super Fun Night is crap. Liza Lapira and Kevin Bishop are wasted on this show.

I suspect the marginally worse demo is why Back in the Game was the one to get cancelled but ordering more of Super Fun Night screams of "we have nothing else... oh shit... what do we do?" desperation.
If you're that desperate ABC I don't think Whitney Cummings is up to much at the moment (because she's terrible) and I'm sure Tina Fey has thrown away scraps of paper with better ideas on than Super Fun Night, try rummaging through her trash!

I am happy for Trophy Wife. It's a good sitcom with great characters and it's easy to watch. And the supporting cast is great too. The Goldbergs however, I hate. I gave it 1/5 in the 4 Episode Test, it's just not for me.
Just for completeness The Goldbergs is averaging 2.03 demo and 6.07M viewers and Trophy Wife is pulling in 1.50 and 4.71M, which is terrible compared to all the others but, in defence of the show, it's got The Goldbergs as a lead-in and it's up against the second half of The Voice, NCIS: LA and Supernatural, if it had Modern Family as a lead-in I suspect it would be the best rated new sitcom on ABC.
More+
Flag
I consider this great news! :D ‘Trophy Wife’ is the best comedy on TV right now. I’m so happy I’ll get to watch at least 16 more episodes of this truly brilliant show. And while I enjoy watching ‘Back in the Game’ I don’t mind it ending after 13 episodes ...
Flag
Boo, Back in the Game is good.
Imagine how many people would watch Super Fun Night if it didn't have a great lead in.
Get that rubbish off.
Flag
I never made it past the pilot of back in the game. the trailer made it look good, it wasn't.

the goldbergs' strength actually lies in the young cast IMO. somehow the adults all fall flat.

and trophy wife, while I'm not psyched that they replaced a more mature daughter with a 12 year old, as long as they feature diane, jackie and burt I'll continue to tune in. bradley and his immediate family seem to be the weak links. and I say that as a 'the good guys' fan. i think the writers recognize it, if you were to compare screen time #s of the last couple episodes I wouldn't be surprised if jackie and burt were top.
Flag
Glad to see the Goldbergs and Trophey Wife get full seasons. They are both great and I watch them immediately after they air.
Flag
back in the game was funny sometimes but it was mostly stupid!!!!the same goes for the goldenbergs!trophy wife seems a little more appealing!
Flag
Back in the Game is a terrific show. Sad to see it go. Fantastic Cast.
Flag
Back in the Game was too good for stupid ABC. I'm really sad now :(
Flag
Back in the Game was really growing on me, I loved the kids:( and it really is better than the Goldbergs..
Flag
Shame about Back in the Game. Not that it is a "must see" or that I will miss it terribly after it's gone, but it's still a nice little show. Far more deserving to be on air than Super Fun Night.

And I agree; Maggie Lawson needs to get back in the TV game ASAP. She's great.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members