Tru Calling

Brother's Keeper

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 13, 2003 on FOX

• Tru's brother may or may not have killed his girlfriend's husband the first time around - this we will never know. What we do know is that she sets him up to do just that and Tru comes to the rescue.

Here we go again with the plot that empowers women - Tru is strong - and devalues women - Harrison's girlfriend is a gold digger who would do anything for her husband's money.

I'm a little offended by a plot where the woman is making up spousal abuse in order to set up a murder. She called the police about a domestic when her husband was out of time and self inflicts bruises. Wow, that's super nice for the millions of women abused by their husbands. What's more, this seems to be a recurring theme in this show - women are gold-diggers. Since, I imagine, with a female protagonist, this show aims to get female viewers, I think this was a real oversight that probably explains why the show wasn't so sucessful.
  • Season 1, Episode 3.

This episode rocked! I loved it so much! I haven't seen it in about three or four years and now I caught it on Sci-Fi, and WOW! It was awesome! I never knew Cobie Smulders, who plays Robin on How I Met Your Mother, which I love, was on Tru Calling. I never knew she did dramatic acting. She was pretty damn good at it. The storyline for this episode was very well written and very well plotted. It was so fun to watch, especially since I couldn't remember what happened, besides the obvious outcome that Harrison didn't go to jail. I was overall very pleased with this episode.
  • This episode is well written and shows the frustations and complications of Tru's gift. The episode does not advance the plot for the series. I feel it is an excellent episode but it still a filler in quality for the series.

This episode is a good example of the story line of Tru. The episode demonstrates Tru's calling with all its frustrations and complications. All those points have been made in earlier episodes. For Davis it lets us know that maybe he knows what Tru's calling is. In any event you know that he is a person of deep stance that looks into the philosophy of life. He lets Tru know that everyone is some place for a reason. This episode shows the love and devotion that Tru, Meredith and Harrison have for each other. Tru will go to any length to take care of Harrison. Meredith will use her skills to help her brother out despite her own problems. This episode is well written. The show starts before the re-wind in the morgue where you learn that Harrison has been arrested for murder. The show then flashes back to 14 hours earlier. The flash back continues until a 30 year old man is brought into the morgue and before he asked for help Tru learns it is the man Harrison is accused of killing and the ex-husband of Tru's new girlfriend. This flashback writing devise makes the format of the story interesting. The flash back in not the only good writing devise the episode has. In most Tru episodes, Tru focuses on the victim and the victim’s day. In this episode it appears that Tru's only focus is getting Harrison off of a murder charge. You see limited interaction with Tru and the victim that has asked for help. In the very end you find out she has called him and told him to put on a bullet proof vest. His life is saved. Harrison is not arrested falsely for murder. The new girlfriend is arrested for trying to frame Harrison and for intending to murder her husband. All is well. In this aspect it does a nice job. The story writing is good in that it has interesting plot with twists and turns. In addition the story is given in an interesting format.
  • tru helps out her bro harry....

this is one of my fave episodes...tru is helping her once again in trouble brother... when harry falls for a girl who ends up murdered..he is of course prime suspect numero uno....this was an interesting ep. because you really did not know whether or not he did it....of course in the end..no surprise he didnt do it...even so this ep. was great and i enjoyed it..only ep. like 3 of the first season i knew this show was gonna be great...one of the best ep. in this season i cant forget it..the characters are great and are developing well..cant wait to see what happens
  • Joe Flanigan

I thought this episode was especially great as Joe Flanigan was in it and he's great.
    But when he was asked at Pegasus one feb 2006 if he liked the show he replied that he doesn't like doing a guest roles and that he didn't understand the plot.
    But Joe still put in a great performance.
  • The Things We Do for Money

Is there supposed to be some sex appeal with Harrison in this show? Because I really don't see it.

This week, Tru faces the thought of being alone for the rest of her life when Harrison is accused of murder. Fortunately, Tru gets a chance to relive the day and discovers that Harrison's new squeeze will do anything for money.

I think that Shawn Reeves is a pretty good actor, despite the fact that TC is his first TV acting gig. His scenes with Tru and Sarah were performed well and he proved that he can portray every type of emotion tonight. Tonight, we got some development on his character and we learnt that Harrison will always stick with who he thinks is right.

But tonight, he picked the wrong person and chose not to believe Tru when she warns him that his new squeeze - Sarah - is separated from her husband, Andrew. At first it seems like Andrew is in the wrong, but he reveals that Sarah married him for money.

Tru manages to get Andrew on her side and this annoys me for the following reason. Tru convinces Andrew to wear a bullet-proof vest and I know that if I were a rich guy living on a yacht, I'd want to be careful around a suspicious stranger. I hope that in future episodes, less people listen to Tru as this would give the show more realism (although the show isn't too realistic to start off with).

I liked that the Death of the Week hit Tru in a personal way, instead of it being a complete stranger. Tru's speech to Harrison about losing her family members really made me feel for her character and made me realise that Tru has really gone through a lot of suffering in her life. And despite the fact that Andrew was a jerk, I saw more chemistry between him and Tru than Harrison and Sarah. In fact, I saw more chemistry than Tru and the fireman from last week.

There was a good use of Meredith tonight, a character who I am realy beginning to like. But two characters who are remaining very much in the background are Lindsay and Davis. I hope that in episodes to come, the writers will find more to do with these potentially fascinating characters (although I doubt Lindsay will turn out this way).

Overall, there was some good acting tonight and a good death of the week. I found this to be one of the best episodes of the season.

GRADE: A*
  • This episode seems out of sequence with the start.

Overall, this was an excellent episode. The characters have been further developed and are moving on with things (maybe a little too quickly).

This story was very involving and interesting though and keeps you looking for what is going to happen next and the ending was really well written with a great twist.

The main fault with the episode it Tru going back over that she has the power to relive days, when it had been made clear they knew their mother could do the same thing. This made the episode a bit clunky and almost a freeze in the progressing storyline.
  • Tru's brother Harrison finds himself arrested for murder and Tru is asked for help by the victim. But who does she believe as she tries to unravel what happened?

Tru's brother Harrison, excellently portrayed by Shawn Reaves, had been vastly underused up until this episode. However in Brother's Keeper he has the opportunity to show what he can do and add to the character of Harrison Davies.

Tru meets Harrison's new girlfriend Sarah and is happy for her brother who has clearly fallen hard for the woman. With an abusive ex, Sarah enlists Harrison's help and he runs to the rescue when things get rough. But things turn sour when he is arrested for the murder of Sarah's ex, a fact Tru finds out just before the victim asks her for help and the day rewinds.

Despite the fact that she had already confided in Harrison about reliving days, Tru had not managed to convince him of the truth of the matter, which would have made her job a lot easier. She soon realises that telling her brother what is going to happen is not going to be enough to alter the events of the day and she turns to her lawyer sister Meredith for help too.

The deeper she digs the more confused Tru becomes as to who is telling the truth, Sarah or Andrew, her not so ex husband.

Although the episode had not got the most original of plots the character development of Harrison made this one of my favourites of the series. The episode was done cleverly enough to ensure that it is impossible to tell whether he really did commit murder on the first day and even Tru does not know for sure whether he pulled the trigger.

A great episode and well worth watching again.

Also look out for Joe Flanigan giving a fine performance as Andrew, before he went through the Stargate.
  • Harrison, Harrison, Harrison

I think that "Brother's Keeper" is a great episode showing Harrison and his character. I think this is the episode that I watched the most. Tru Calling did the big plot twist that no one expects again. If you haven't seen the episode this review may give away some spoilers so I don't recommend you keep reading.

I really enjoyed watching Harrison in this episode. It made me a huge Harrison fan. When Meredith said that she thought that Harrison was capable of murder it brought Tru and Harrison's relationship to a new level. Shawn Reeves did an excellent job in this and he should win an Emmy.
  • Harrison, Harrison, Harrison