Tru Calling Forums

FOX (ended 2005)

What went wrong?

rollergirl41

[61]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 2
    I never got to see it when it orginally aired so I was glad to read in tv guide that the sci-fi channnel is airing it on tuesdays 7-9 p.m. at least on dish. I saw the first 2 ep
    and I loved it
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SVU_Obsessed

[62]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 22
    Magicalboy wrote:
    I just started watching the series last week on Sci Fi (though I've know about it before) but now I don't know if I wanna get "into" the show deeply since Fox cancelled the series too early (I also hate Fox for cancelling The O.C. & Point Pleasant)

Am I the only one who wasn't into the o.c? Everyone I know liked that show. Anywayz, it was hard for me not to get into the show. Stupid fox!

tennisrobe26

[63]Jul 17, 2007
    i didn't watch the oc... i loved tru calling. i also liked Point pleasant.

petef20

[64]Jul 22, 2007
    The OC was knid of a guilty pleasure show for me. If anyone asked I watched it because of the fit birds in bikinis. Tru Calling was ahuge shame, just as it was getting brilliant it was cancelled! How many shows has Fox done this to?

Kadodian

[65]Mar 16, 2008
    • level: 23
    I hate Fox ! Tru calling was amazing.

spikemaniac

[66]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 50
    The reason why shows like Tru Calling and Firefly get cancelled is because they are put in ridiculous time slots, not advertised properly, and shown out of order, with sometimes very long and unpredictable gaps in between.

Adamortos

[67]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 3

It was such a great show!

Fox were stupid to cancel it! The main reason they did it though is because they said it was getting "Too Repetitive"

It didn't though!!! It would have been repetitive if she saved the same life every week but it was all different and always a new story! Best thing to ever come out of Fox!

firefairyangel

[68]Aug 26, 2008
    • level: 12
    shawshank393 wrote:
    From what I've seen, Fox seem to prematurely axe their shows before thinking properly or giving them a chance. Tru Calling had an amazing amount of potential and with the introduction of the darker, competing characters such as Jack and Tru's father there was so many potential twists and turns to come. In my opinion, it is a major chance missed.

Does anyone else think that Ghost Whisperer is extremely similar in terms of storylines? In both, there's a "dark" version of the main character who is working against them, trying to prevent the people from being saved/crossed over.

DagetAwayMaN421

[69]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 6
    IMO, the guys running FOX have got to be the biggest idiots in the world. I remember when Tru Calling was on TV and I saw the entire first season and watched re-runs for a while. I never got to see season 2 because it wasn't advertised. The main that upsets me with FOX is that they have and had a lot of great shows and find amazing ways to screw them up.
    I remember Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy cursing at FOX for canceling Family Guy. I think this was the episode before Family Guy started airing again on FOX after being canceled for a couple years. Then to top it off, listing all the shows FOX canceled in between Family Guy getting initially axed and starting up again and there was a long list. To me, that tells me that you have a lot of idiots running your company if you go through that many shows in such a short span. The thing with FOX is that they pump out a lot of great shows, but they don't comprehend which ones are good and which ones are bad. I think the O.C. followed Tru Calling or vice-versa on Thursdays, which was a great line-up, but Survivor hurt them.
    I don't think anything was wrong with the show, it's just that FOX isn't willing to accept being in second place for even an hour during the nights and try to find any show possible to beat their competitors. So rarely do shows get to grow and grab a huge fan base. The only shows on right now that FOX has that have been running for a while are 24 (which is probably gonna get axed because of Heroes), Prison Break, House, The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and Family Guy. All are good long-running shows, but like the O.C., if they can't beat the competition during a certain hour block (LOST) , they're gonna get canceled, unfortunately.
    So the answer to your question isn't that there was something wrong with the show itself, it's the Network Execs who don't know what they're doing unless they see themselves in first place in the ratings for each hour.

elainecleo

[70]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 9
    The sad thing is Fox is going to be airing Joss Whedon's new show Dollhouse with Eliza as the star. I am never going to watch another new series on CBS because of the way they canceled Moonlight. That show won its time slot every week and was the People's Choice Award winner and was axed, not going to give CBS a chance to get me hooked again. I only watch Bones on Fox, but will give Dollhouse a chance. Love Joss shows, Buffy, Angel, and Firefly.

SVU_Obsessed

[71]Sep 23, 2008
    I can not wait for Dollhouse! But I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much since the show is airing on Fox, but I'm still excited.

Pushtrak

[72]Mar 30, 2011
    • level: 8

ariestar18 wrote:
    I am mad at FOX for abruptly ending Tru Calling like they did.IONLY watch Bones on that channel now. When American Idol is on I also watch that, but that is it.
    Watching American Idol is part of the problem, not the solution.

NiallB31

[73]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 8

Tru Calling was an amazing show that was cancelled before its time. I got into the show 3 of 4 years after it ended and I was watching all the episodes on DVD. FOX cancels great shows, Firefly mainly.

FOX renewed the shoe for a second series and at the last minute they decided to cancel it after the 6 season 2 episodes were finished. Fans were angry at FOX but FOXdecided to air the remaining 5 out of the 6 episode. The 6th did not originally air since it was airing in April and it was a Christmas episode.

Tru calling averaged between 3-5 million viewers, which calls out cancellation straight away. But the shows 18-49 rating must have been very good for the series to finish out its first season and to get a second season pick-up. The series aired against NBC's then fameous Thursday night Must see TV line up and Tru Calling must have been performing better than other shows FOX aired in that timeslot.

Tru Calling should have went on for years.

I think if Tru Calling was shown on CBS and started airing in the 2005-2006 tv season, CBS could have put the show on Fridays after Ghost Whisperer (which lasted 5 seasons) and probably could have lasted just as long. And CBS would not have treated te show so badly.