Tru Calling

Putting Out Fires

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 06, 2003 on FOX

• This was a very good episode, but be wary it may make you cry.

I thought that this was a horrible sad episode, and it shows how life is fragile that one minute the person is alive and well and the next they're no longer around:( I had a bit of tears when Nick died, he saved Samantha but Tru says, she was selfish and wanted both of them. That's not selfish it truly meant she cared for him better than that d_ckhead professor who cheated on her what was he thinking? But yeah that stupid little boy should of never started a fire because he would of killed his little sister and did kill the guy that saved his life. The only part that made me angry was that when Tru broke into that guys shed or office or whatever it was that she saw the flammable stuff that started the fire why didn't she take that to Nick and say this is what was to start the fire. Stupid little kid I would of rang his neck.

This was a very good episode but like I said very sad too for Tru.
  • when you fall, you fall hard.

i really like this episode. two bodies come into the morgue, a man and a little girl. the man had rescued a boy and got trapped, and the girl was stuck inside. the man asked for help. he was a fireman, actually mr september. tru falls for him and does not want to let him go. she does everything she can to stop him from going into the fire, but since he's a firefighter he goes in, without his gear. he saves the boy who set the fire, but the girl is still trapped. even with all the other firefighters there he goes in. but first they share a kiss, its so cute. and the last scene where she is crying over his boby,telling him to ask for help was so sad.
  • Pivotal episode because it lays the ground work that this show is going to deal with complex issues. The show will not follow a simple familiar formatt. Each episode will build and make you think.

In the pilot you think you have a simple little story line. Girl hears dead person ask for help, day re-winds, girl saves dead person with hard work. It is episode two, and you realize this show is very different. When a dead person says, "Help me," it may not mean save my life. It maybe faith for that person to die but they wanted to die under different circumstances. In this case a handsome firefighter named Nick and a ten year old girl are in the morgue dead. The firefighter asked for help and the day re-winds. As Tru re-plays the day and spends it with Nick, she starts to fall in love with him. In the end Tru watches the Nick save the little girl's brother. Nick realizes there is another child trapped in the building and goes in to save the 10 year old girl. On the re-wind he saves the girl but in the process he gives up his life. Tru sadly realize that when Nick asked for to helped it was to save the little girl not himself.
  • Tru falls in love with someone she is trying to save.

In the morgue is a gorgeous firefighter named Nick and a ten year old girl. The firefighter asks for her help. Rewind to the morning, Tru asks the firefighter to help her check out a gas leak. She starts to fall in love with him. Then she finds out that the fre was not because of the leak. As the fire is going NIck comes to help. He saves the boy who started the fire but the girl is still inside. He insists on going to save her but Tru can't stop him. He does save the girl but dies in the process. Tru learns that it was his destiny to save the girl and to die. Overall: very good and sad episode. 9.7/10
  • Tru realises that fate doesn't always work the way she wants it to

A fantastic episode. I think the idea for this episode was brilliant. Tru realises that she can't always save everyone. When he asks her for help she automatically presumes she was meant to save both of them but fate only intervened to save the girl. The fireman was obviously meant to die and you can see how hard this is for Tru to accept. The scene where we see her begging him to ask her for help was so powerful and one that sticks out as being very important to Tru's character. I think the way in which she begs him to let her save him is something that everyone can relate to. She feels she's failed him as some people must feel when they lose someone they love. For Tru it's even worse because she was given the chance to save him and didn't succeed.
  • The One Where Tru Finds Out She Can't Save Everyone

In this episode, Tru tells Harrison about her rewind (which happened last week)but Harrison thinks she's crazy. Soon later, she sees her boyfriend cheating on her. Sh then goes to work when firefighter, Nick Kelly asks for help and Tru rewinds the day, she breaks-up with her cheating boyfriend and decides not to tell Harrison about her reliving days. She tries to save Nick from the bulding fire he dies from, she tries to prevent the fire but fails and Nick dies. While she was trying to save him, Tru found herself falling in love with him, but when he dies she is in tears and realises she can't save everyone.
    One of my top 5 episodes!
  • "You had your day, you only get one."

I always have trouble at the beginning of writing reviews. I think to myself, where do I start? This was another of those reviews and I don't know where to start, so if this review is a bit jumbled I apologise.

The opening scenes of the episode is practically a recap on what happened last week. Tru and Harrison have coffee together and Tru goes over the details about dead people talking to her. Harrison looks pretty gothic here.

That professor that Tru is sleeping with seems to be a master of lies. After her breakfast with Harrison, Tru sees Professor Cheatbag kissing another woman. Tru confides in Lindsay, who can't believe she's sleeping with a professor. I must say, I find it really stupid that Professor Cheatbag is sleeping with two of his student considering the fact that he's supposed to be up for tenure and Tru should really report him to the authorities.

This episode's death is a double. A little girl and the fireman trying to save her die of smoke inhaltion (is that the term?) and are bought into the morgue. The fireman calls on Tru for help and Tru repeats her day.

Yestertoday, and Tru wakes up with Professor Cheatbag who is preparing for his lunch with "the Dean". This scene I found to be good to watch as the viewer is unaware of what Tru will do next. Will she tell off Cheatbag? Or will she petend she doesn't know? She chooses the latter of the two.

Tru sets about in her mission to save the two fire victims and heads over to the fire station, where the victim has abnormally shiny teeth. From their very first encounter, the plot becomes very predictable. Tru likes fireman. Fireman likes Tru. Tru tries to save fireman's butt. Fireman dies. And yeah, that's pretty much what happened in the rest of the episode.

Until the end when Professor Cheatbag attempts to apologise to an already pretty tearful Tru. Eliza Dushku is amazingly perfect in this scene and the scene which follows when she tries to get Nick's corpse to require her help again.

-Random Thoughts and Bitz-

There's a new replacement for Vincent Laresca this week in the form of Benjamin Benitez

Other "yestertoday" scenes include Tru's confrontation with Cheatbag and The Dean Who Isn't The Dean and a scene where Lindsay and Tru are out shopping.

Overall, this was a good follow-up to last week's Pilot, although not as interesting and with less frantic running. I felt a lot of the "yestertoday" scenes moved quite slowly and didn't have me gripped. The plot was quite predictable, but wonderful acting from Eliza Dushku redeemed this episode.

I think the main focus of this episode was basically character development for Tru and Harrison (and even Davis and Meredith). It was still enjoyable to watch.
  • Tru falls for a fire-fighting hottie but can she save him in time?

I love this episode for the simple fact that Tru starts to fall for Nick only to lose him. He dies which means that not only has Tru lost someone she was beginning to fall for but it's also her first failure to save a life (It's only the second episode and already she's failed to save someone).

The scenes between Tru and Nick are sweet; They flirt and have real chemistry so when Nick dies in the rewind day and doesn't ask for help, I really felt Tru's pain. It's the second time she has been asked for help and not only could she not prevent the death but the victim was someone she could have conceivably fallen in love with.

This episode is also pivotal as it is only the second episode and yet the victim wasn't saved. It hammers home the point that Tru won't be able to save everyone.

This is a fantastic episode.
  • Tru develops feelings for a fireman she has to save who died trying to save children in a burning house. On this second chance of life though, Tru fails to save him.

It\'s almost pointless to watch TV shows when practically EVERYTHING goes right. This episode, the second in Tru Calling shows that you can\'t save everyone.

This time it\'s a fireman she has to save. He died saving children in a burning house. Tru pretends to be a college girl and cleverly (certainly not what a real person would plot out to do, but then again, this is TV) finds ways to get information she needs to help save him.

Unfortunately, the fireman who Tru starts to develop feelings for manages not to save himself in the burning house of children. (The children survived, though.) The episode ends with Tru crying at the sight of him at the morgue, where she works. You can\'t save everyone. I\'m glad they had this episode because it would have gotten slightly annoying if she could have saved everyone.
  • Tru relives a day for the second time and realises that the first one was not a one off, and maybe she can't save everyone.

After the events of the pilot episode Tru could be forgiven for thinking that maybe she had imagined that she relived a day. But not anymore as the same thing happens again.

Two bodies are brought into the morgue, one of a man and one of a young girl, both killed in a fire in an apartment building. The man asks for help and Tru once again finds herself starting a day over.

Tracking down the man who turns out to be a local firefighter by the name of Nick, Tru enlists his help in stopping the fire from breaking out. But it is not as easy as it first appears and with several lives at stake Tru finds that she is not the only one whose life is devoted to saving lives.

With a nice subplot of romance as Tru begins to fall for Nick, this is the first episode to hint that things are not always going to go as she wishes and not everyone can be saved.

A tearjerker and quite a surprise so early in the series. Excellent performances all round make this one of the best episodes of the start of the series.