True Blood

At Last

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jul 07, 2013 on HBO

• At Last

True Blood continued its superior structuring this week as things heated up in the whole Warlow department, mainly with a reveal of who he is that was handled well and I honestly didn't quite see coming. But beyond that it was a decent episode despite it still having some problems. Among the tedium is Terry and Arlene were in the episode, and after being a parent for less than a week Andy is now convinced he loves his faerie children more than life itself. But the fact that Bill's whole creepy "let's party thing" with them at the convenience store and they played beyond mere hijinks was a great place for the writers to be coming from. Gpa and Jason go after Warlow after Jason deduces that Ben gave him some vampire blood to heal him and that he must be half-fae-half-vamp and is thus a Daywalker such like Blade. I felt bad for Nora giving us the bit about the mistranslation in the Book of Lilith being "the Progeny led Lilith to the Sun" meaning that Warlow is the only one to kill Lilith and thus an alliance with Warlow would be inevitable probably. But Gpa and Jason cornering Ben (who is Warlow as Sook, Jason, and Gpa all deduce) Gpa gets blasted out by one faerie spell and Jason is glamored into walking away while Ben drinks Gpa's blood. We got a revealing yet overly expositiony scene where we learn that Warlow had spared Gpa back in the day and the fact that he was half-fae and a rival to the Stackhouse bloodline accounted for his obsession with Sookie. He spares Gpa's life again and gives him his blood, so why did he drain Gpa, was it just to weaken him or just for show? Also the Jason dream was entertaining and him actually knowing it was a V side effect too shows that the show hasn't forgotten his past experiences. But I guess Gpa being the King of Faeries I didn't expect him to be so unceremoniously thrown into a dark dimension without much of a fight. Anyway, onto Eric who coerces Tara to tell him where she stashed Willa and he tracks her down and turns her into a vamp as we get to see the whole turning process down and dirty (and shirtless). Alcide and the other weres continue to hunt Sam, Emma, and Jessie while Lafayette is told to get out of there. If Alcide has to keep playing the rank card is he really that efficient of a leader? Anyway, the irony of Jessica giving Bill the whole chat on losing control and then her drinking the newly naughty teenage faeries was a strong moment and one I'm sure will be taken back instantly next week knowing this show. But the scenes with Dr. Takahashi and Bill describing the blood and the ethical boundaries were efficient as Bill made the fact that Takahashi was a prisoner and nothing else. Sookie goes on the offensive in her own way, inviting Ben (who she now knows is Warlow by finding his blood on the floor) for dinner and poisoning his food with silver. And btw, the silver also seemed to have no effect whatsoever on him. Sook did get great points for making out with Ben and then doing the whole supernova faerie thing, telling him to get off of her or to burn putting him effectively at her mercy. I'm interested to see more of the half-fae-vamp thing and the rules Ben has to follow when we see the fallout of this next week. But the part of the episode that surprised me that wasn't held until next week was Willa going to her father the dear Governor Burell and revealing herself to still be a person. Also, Sarah Newlin is with Governor Burell? Seems like something was missed here and we should've seen this before. But her shooting Willa out with the new round without killing her and insisting that she go to Vamp-Camp make her out to be much worse than Burell just when WIlla was about to get through to him on the whole vampire issue. Of course it's going to prove to be more complicated down the road with 3 vamps now in the clutches of the Governor's forces the AV something or other that kidnaps them: Nora, Pam, and Willa which leaves Eric and Tara and Bill and Jessica to deal with Burell and the fallout for the next little while and hopefully the sun doesn't melt them all away at the good Vamp Camp. But this episode gelled well together, although Sam is hopping into bed with Jessie a little too soon after having lost Luna especially they talk about it in the conversation they have leading up to the kissing, it would be more excusable if the scene was about something else and then transitioned into how lonely and grief-stricken both of them are now that all of her friends are dead and how they have to F**k the pain away.