A True Blood Community
HBO (ended 2014)
First off,

A SWEDISH set of actors in America:

Being from a smaller country, I'm happy to see some local actors and actresses making it over there in Hollywood.

Alexander Skarsgård in True Blood, Generation Kill, Battleship

Malin Åkerman, Throphy Wife, Rock of Ages

Noomi Rapace, Prometheus, A Game of Shadows, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Mikael Nyqvist, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Zero Hour, Millenium

So, which are your country's four current highlights?

poll

Put your picks in the comments, please.
Comments (86)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Nov 02, 2013
The Netherlands will fit more than 12 times in Sweden, but we've got some great actors.

For me, the highlights are:

Rutger Hauer (Blade runner, Blind Fury, Sin city)
Jeroen Krabbé (The Fugitive, The living Daylights)
Famke Jansen (Goldeneye, all the X-mens)
Carel Struycken (Twin Peaks, Star Trek, the Adams family)

but we've also got:
Yorrick van Wageningen (The girl with the dragon tattoo, the chronicles of Riddick)
Carice van Houten (GoT, Repo Man, Valkyrie)
Lucia Rijker (Million dollar baby, Star Trek)
Derek de Lint (The unbearable lightness of being)

and let's not forget the actors who have at least one Dutch parent like Cobie Smulders (who's sister played for the Dutch national basketball team) and of course Audrey hepburn.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Paul Wesley - Polish-American (Vampire Diaries), Iza Miko (Step Up 5), Karolina Wydra (House), Olek Krupa (Salt), Dagmara Dominczyk (Person of Interest), Marika Dominczyk (Brothers & Sisters) and Izabella Scorupco (Golden Eye)
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Poland! Welcome!
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Well, nobody seems to have Germany on their list, and it's true, there are not many. At least no big stars. But I can name a few good actors, at least ;-)

Diane Kruger (Troy, The Bridge)
Udo Kier (I picked him just because the way he looks is awesome)
Armin Müller Stahl (Angels&Demons, 13th floor, the game, etc)
Götz Otto (because any list of German actors needs a Bond villain)

And if we allow people with two nationalities, I can do MUCH better by adding:
Michael Fassbender (X-men)
Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)
Both of which have German citizenship.

Oh, and Bruce Willis and Sandra Bullock were born in Germany, does that count? ;-) Sandra even had the German citizenship until she turned 18...
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
I think British actors will take home the cup anyway, but starring for my country I'll bring in

– Diane Kruger
– Daniel Brühl
– Thomas Kretschmann
...and I'd name Michael Fassbender, but he's, as imdb knows, "of German and Irish parentage", so maybe I'll have to throw in Franka Potente as well, just to make sure ;-)

First post in. Now we have two lists for Germany. Good!
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Willis & Bullock sure could work. We don't judge anyone. Just don't mention the war...
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Stana Katic of Castle, Goran Visnjic of ER fame, Rade Serbedzija of Mission Impossible fame (and no, he's not Russian) and John Malkovich (I will claim him as well, Wikipedia says he's a famous Croatian American)!
Sooo, how did I do? :D
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
That will be decided when I post the end-poll.
Good picks, Stana Katic is hot right now.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Ian McShane - American Horror Story Asylum and a ton of other things. I think my other Brit's will have been mentioned:

Andrew Lincoln - The Walking Dead
Damian Lewis - Homeland
Charlie Hunnam - Sons of Anarchy
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Another go for Andrew Lincoln and fellow Brits. Thanks for the list!
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
OK, here we go with top 4 exports from Spain:

1. Javier Bardem - "No country for old men" (Coen brothers)

2. Penelope Cruz - "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" (Woody Allen)

3. Antonio Banderas - lots of silly roles for many years

4. Leonor Watling - "The Oxford Murders". I should put the very insisting Paz Vega or the calendar girl Elsa Pataki, but Leonor is the Spanish very good actress that the other two are not.

Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Great! We have to casts for Spain. Good luck.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
My favourite xD

Tom Hiddleston !
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Nothing from Estonia (: I know that Mena Suvari is a distinct Estonian but other than that... :D we have loads of super models though... so there is that
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Johann Urb as Leon S Kennedy, Resident Evil: Retributiion might disagree.

I'm sure there are a lot of good actors in Estonia.
Cheers!
Flag
Nov 01, 2013
Ha, I thought about him but didnt really think he could match up against some of the stars featuring here.
Also yeah we have amazing actor and actresses, just not worldwide superstars.
But thank you anyway !! :)
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
the best part about imported stars is that you get the diversity of the whole worlds races, non of these foreign actors is super white and super blond! Progress!!!!
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
LMAO. Nice.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
And we don't get the-same-guys-all-over-again that happens when certain actors are in demand. Variation and new faces are good when paired with talent.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
i was kidding, most of the imports are all really white (almost aryan), i don't know if my point came across...
they sould make sarcastic fonds.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Like Dolph Lundgren, then. I see, that didn't get through my frontal lobe. True that some additional format tabs are needed.
Plus an edit function.
I'm constantly forgetting stuff I should have written in comments...
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
So true!
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Sharlto Copley (District 9, The A-Team, Elysium)
Charlize Theron,
Arnold Vosloo, (The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, 24)
Sasha Pieterse (Good Luck Chuck, Buffy The Vampire Slayer (The Movie))
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
The votes from South Africa are in! Thank you, Miss.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Mikael Nyqvist, Malin Äkerman, Stellan Skarsgård, Lena Olin.
From my missus
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Great picks, especially Lena.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
lol, arnie!

mads mikkelsen is missing. i adore him!
otherwise, perfect!
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
He's in the Danish pick.
Cheers!
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
I am a Swede so of course it brings me great pleasure to see all of these wonderful actors be recognized for their talents. I would also like to add Stellan Skarsgård to the list, Alexander's father. I just saw him in Thor 2 last night and he sure brought a lot of laughs. I mean, what a guy!
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Yes, of course, but Alexander has more pull. I think. You can do your top four and compete. We have Max von Sydow, too. And why not Vikings star Gustaf Skarsgård or Bill Skarsgård in Hemlock Grove? Those Skarsgårds are competing with the Baldwins!!

Going on with actresses, Sofia Helin, Bron, Izabella Scorupco, Golden Eye, Lena Olin, Anything with Johnny Depp...
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Peter Stormare! Man, I have to change a name on my list!!! How could I not put him up there! His resume is silly good.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
From neighboring Norway... I don't know of anyone.
But I'm OK with that, they need to be good before famous, and I can't think of any I'd be "proud of".
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Ah, that's tough. Borrow some! Maybe a Nordic foursome top for?
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Sounds good. That way we can claim Viggo Mortensen as well.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Kristanna Loken, Terminator 3, Burn Notice. There's one for the female cast.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Easy choice for TV Alexander also Joseph Morgan ( the vampire diaries, the originals ) and Collin Farrell, Chris Hemsworth, Alex o'loughlin.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
OK, we're talking the Queen's reign here. That is allowed as stated. Australia (Helmsworth, O'loughlin), Scotland (Paul Telfer), Wales (Morgan), Ireand (Farrel) - that's all good. Thanks for the mixed goodies.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Who is Paul Telfer
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Vampire Diaries character Alexander, (Paul Telfer). Or am I seeing that wrong?

Easy choice for TV Alexander also Joseph Morgan ( the vampire diaries, the originals )

Flag
Oct 31, 2013
OK, I see. Alexander Skarsgård. I see.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Found Paul Telfer now I remember who he is
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Alexander from true blood the first guy in the picture. Joseph Morgan is from both vampire diaries and the originals.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
:) your welcome
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem, Antonio Banderas y Odda Chaplin, you dont know she was spanish, do you?
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Oona Chaplin, Quantum of Solace, Game of Thrones, right? No, I didn't. Thanks!
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Liam Neeson, Colin Farrell, Pierce Brosnan, and Saoirse Ronan.
Plus Michelle Fairley, Liam Cunningham, Aiden Gillen and Jack Gleeson aka Catelyn Stark, Ser Davos, Littlefinger and Joffrey himself.
And I'll throw in Michael Fassbender because his mom is Irish and he grew up in County Kerry in the south of Ireland.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
"Winter is coming!" - Westeroosi proverb. I'll put the top four names in the bowl at the finale.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
In addition to Alexander, Ryan Kwanten, Stephen Moyer, Chris and Liam Hemsworth, Charlie Hunnam, Tommy Flanagan, and most of the cast of GoT
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Was this the anglo-saxon pick, as opposed to a specific country?
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Might be a conception about Aussies being British convicts... [JK]
I did allow some mixing in my OP.

Flag
Oct 31, 2013
lol
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
OK, going with the first four here. Thanks!
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Nikolai "Kings slayer" Coster Waldau, Mads "Hannibal" Mikkelsen, Connie "Gladiator" Nielsen, and I'll take credit for Viggo Mortensen as well. From a counry even smaller than Sweden ;-)
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
An awesome contender.

Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Ryan Gosling, Dan Aykroyd, Jon Candy, Jim Carey, Kin Coates, Michael J.Fox, Hayden Christensen, Rachel McAdams, Joshua Jackson, Evangeline Lily...just to name a few. It does help that we're right on top pf America.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Nathan Fillion, cannot forget Nathen Fillion.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Yes, it sure does. A bag of goodies here. Which are your four top stars? I could go for the four first mentioned...
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Hugh Jackman, Chris Hemsworth, Liam Hemsworth, Cate Blanchett, Geoffrey Rush, Hugo Weaving... to name a few :)
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
The top four, and they look strong indeed. Can't win over Wolverine and Galadriel.
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Go the Aussies :D
Flag
Oct 31, 2013
I second that
Flag
Oct 30, 2013
Christoph Waltz
Think he should count for four, at least ;)
And I give you a second academy award winner: Michael Haneke (though he is a director)

we had a few stars in the past, though (don't know if I should count Schwarzenegger!?)
Flag
Oct 30, 2013
Ah, you have Tarzan and Terminator plus Zsa Zsa. A bit dated but still. The former governor is releasing films. About right now: Escape Plan. Takes me back to the 80's... Add another name and you're still in running to put Austria on top!

No one can beat T-101.
Flag
Oct 30, 2013
Henry Cavill, Daniel Craig, Christian Bale, Robert Pattinson, Kate Beckinsale, Keiira Knightly, Carey Mulligan

Flag
Oct 31, 2013
Kate Beckinsale with her crazy blue eyes from "underworld". I'm in loveeee. Actually, she's pretty hot with her own eyecolour too ;-)
Flag
Oct 30, 2013
Charlie Hunnam - Sons of Anarchy, Jonny Lee Miller - Elementary, Damien Lewis - Homeland, Andrew Lincoln - The Walking Dead
Flag
Oct 30, 2013
Rule Britannia - I guess there are a ton of Brits in them American films and series.
Good picks there. With the reinforcements they will be a force to be reckoned with.
Hard to pick four.
But stick with your four originals.
Maybe someone else steals away Bale and Beckinsale.

A side by side poll will finish this off in the end.
Flag
Oct 30, 2013
-Rutger Hauer

he should do on his own, but ok, I'll add some ladies to keep him company:

-Famke Janssen
-Carice van Houten (Melissandre, GoT)
-Rebecca Romeijn
Flag
Jul 07, 2014
Romijn is born and raised 'Murican.

another Dutch actor in demand at the moment though is Michiel Huisman (Daario Naharis on GoT and Orphan Black)
Flag
Oct 30, 2013
"All those... moments... will be lost in time, like tears... in... rain." - Leon(Rutger Hauer)in Blade Runner. Epic!
Flag
Nov 02, 2013
Very, very epic, seen it a months ago with my son, it was his first time (and probably his last, knowing him). I've seen it a dozen times, all versions and have the 'Making of Blade Runner' by Paul M. sammon, a bible for fans.
Flag
Nov 02, 2013
True. I made a floor plan for Deckard's apartment at propsummit...

(Final version in link)
props
Flag
Nov 02, 2013
And thanks for the site, had never heard of it before. I could say I should spend more time on the internet but that probably would not be healthy anymore.
Flag
Nov 02, 2013
Humbly whispering: "yes master'
Flag
Oct 30, 2013
I think british actors will take home the cup anyway, but starring for my country I'll bring in

– Diane Kruger
– Daniel Brühl
– Thomas Kretschmann
...and I'd name Michael Fassbender, but he's, as imdb knows, "of German and Irish parentage", so maybe I'll have to throw in Franka Potente as well, just to make sure ;-)
Flag
Oct 30, 2013
Good suggestions there. Inglorious bunch they are.
Deutschland und Schweden im top.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members