A True Blood Community
HBO (ended 2014)

I've been watching True Blood basically since the beginning; I've never missed an episode of the HBO supernatural soap. Despite that, there've only been a few choice stretches where I'd actually call the show "good" (end of Season 1, the Godric-centric stuff in Season 2). But here's the truth, guys: True Blood was flat-out awful in Seasons 4 and 5. Like fully unbearable, raising-questions-about-my-sanity-for-spending-time-with-the-show's-158-characters-every-week awful. Things got so bad that I considered not even watching the currently airing Season 6. But now that we're more than halfway through, I'm so happy I stuck it out, because True Blood is humming along better right now than it has in at least four years (I'd throw out a "best string of episodes ever" claim, but that's still faint praise, anyway). Lily's done a great job of detailing how fun and entertaining the show has been as of late, but to really hit that point home, here are five reasons why this is a comeback year for a series that in 2011 and 2012 was one of the worst shows on TV. 

1. A (relatively) streamlined story 

During True Blood's Comic-Con panel a few weeks ago, new showrunner Brian Buckner talked about wanting to bring the show back to its roots with an eye on cutting down the number of characters and stories packed within a given episode. Buckner was speaking about his plans for Season 7, which will air in 2014, but it's clear to me that that directive and overall influence are all over this season, and that's been particularly true in the last few episodes. While there are still too many characters on True Blood (more on that in a bit), Season 6 has thrived because the majority of those characters are involved in a few large stories instead of 44 individual, mostly lame arcs.

And you can say what you will about the show's attempts at social commentary with the war on vampires and the Vamp Camp, but that plot A.) refocuses on the show's strongest elements (uh... vampires), B.) involves the majority of the characters, and C.) in recent weeks has even corralled most of them in the same space. Meanwhile, the stuff that's happening outside the Vamp Camp thread has coalesced in useful (if not always fully entertaining) ways. Both Alcide and Sam are stuck in their typical flat, repetitive stories (seriously, how many times is Alcide going to fight with his pack?), but at least the two keep bumping together to create an additional level of tension. And although Arlene and the Bellefleur boys have been off on their own for most of the season, True Blood has rediscovered moderation with them. Andy's challenges with his daughters and Terry's untimely death were both given just the right amount of screen time, resulting in a high emotional impact. 

2. A focus on compelling characters

Parsing down the sheer number of stories has also positively influenced which characters are enjoying regular turns in the spotlight. While Bill, Eric, Pam, Jason, Sarah, Tara, and Jessica are all somehow involved with the big Vamp Camp story, the show has smartly strayed from trying to give them equal time. True Blood works best when Eric's at the center, scheming and plotting his way through one seemingly impossible situation after another, and his maneuvering this season has been better than ever. I know that many people have mixed feelings about Bill's story, and at times it seems like the writers aren't exactly sure what it is from episode to episode, but I'd much rather see Bill like this if the alternative is leaving him stuck in the middle of his nineteenth soap opera with Sookie. 

Meanwhile, bringing back Sarah Newlin gave the show a familiar villain and helped revitalize Jason, who's also been trapped in melodramatic nonsense for a few years. Anna Camp's over-the-top but earnest energy is exactly what True Blood needed in a villain. Meanwhile, Pam and Tara have shown up only occasionally, and that's just fine. We don't need to see them all the time. 

And perhaps best of all, Sookie is currently in the middle of story that's both surprisingly interesting and that has kept her isolated from the main narrative. It's only a matter of time before something terrible happens to her and she makes a speech about not wanting to deal with supernaturals again, but I appreciate that her current attitude is basically, "Meh, screw it. This is what I do." Anna Paquin is really good when Sookie isn't weighed down by DRAMA, and she's proven that again in Season 6.

3. The return of real danger

One of the things that drove me nuts about True Blood's last few seasons was that the stakes felt so small. Once Russell Edgington was initially dispatched at the end of Season 3, the show lost its sense of urgency for too long. Marnie and the witches raised some hell in Season 4, but there weren't many relevant casualties, and in Season 5, Lilith and the true believers mostly sat around in a high-tech bunker/place of worship and yelled at one another. Pointless characters like Tara were killed, only to be resurrected almost immediately (though I'll admit I've enjoyed hanging out with baby vamp Tara). Along the way, the show's already-bloated cast just kept ballooning, picking up as many series regulars and recurring players as it could. Perusing the cast list on Wikipedia or IMDb is an intimidating, dizzying experience. 

Season 6 is in the process of solving those issues. Fewer new characters have been introduced, and the most important one of them all (Truman Burrell; sorry Warlow) has already been gruesomely disposed of. Even better, characters are actually dying—and with emotionally resonant departures, to boot. Terry's suicide was one of the most gut-wrenching moves in the series' history. He's a character who probably overstayed his welcome, but one I think most everyone cared about, making him a perfect candidate for a somewhat surprising death. Nora's demise last week wasn't as powerful, but the episode did a fine job of installing a sense of dread, building up to that final moment. And it was an important scene for Eric, the show's best character, which made it even better. It just feels like anything could happen on True Blood again, which isn't something I would have said during the past two or three seasons. Characters are dying and the cliffhangers aren't immediately washed away come the 18-minute mark of the following episode. 

4. There's less melodramatic nonsense 

One of the reasons the stakes feel higher and more real is that these dangerous events and emotional moments actually seem to matter to the characters. I know that a lot of people watch True Blood for the romances and the love triangles, and I respect that. But for my money, they bring down the show, turning it into a D-level soap that keeps recycling the same story beats and overwrought conversations. If I have to hear Sookie say "Bill, if you ever loved me..." again, I might ask to be locked in the Vamp Camp forever. Do you guys think she pulls that for even the mundane stuff? "Bill, if you ever loved me, you'll pay for this Stuffed Crust pie from Pizza Hut because I missed 71 straight shifts at Merlotte's." ANYWAY, that's not the True Blood I enjoy, and in recent years, it started to impact other characters outside the primary quadrangle of Sookie-Bill-Eric-Alcide—folks like Jason, Jessica, and Hoyt, or Sam and Tara. It was as if, somewhere along the way, Alan Ball decided that repetitive romantic ANGST was what made True Blood good. Let's just say I'm happy he's gone. 

This season, characters are not only in danger, but their various problems and tensions feel fresh, or at least better-written. The crusade against the vampires has forced characters like Pam and Jessica to consider who they are, and how their actions impact others; Eric's countermeasures serve a larger purpose other than "getting Bill back"; Bill's hero complex has been ramped up to an otherworldly degree; Sarah's plan has been years in the making; Sookie's annual love story has important familial and historical consequences. In general, there's a purpose and consistent tone with everything that's happening, and the show isn't jerking stories and characters from one position to another within a given episode. 

5. Fewer episodes

Although the decrease from 12 episodes to 10 doesn't seem like a lot, this one can't be underestimated. I've always felt like True Blood's seasons peaked in the middle stretch, usually leading to a few lame installments toward the end. But with only 10 hours to work with this year, the writers have spent very little time screwing around with frivolous side-plots and dead-end characters, and jumped right into the important stories from the premiere episode onward. Basically, the Season 6 creative team wanted to move on from the last few years of the Alan Ball era and do the kinds of things I've just finished praising them for, but the lower episode count forced them to follow through. They didn't have much choice, and the show's much better because of it. 

Of course, it's not like any of these changes are sweeping or wholesale; they're small shifts that make True Blood much more enjoyable to watch. But after the last couple years, I wasn't sure even that was possible, so I'm happy to have this version of True Blood back.

Do you agree that the show has been better in Season 6? And if so, why?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/24/2014

Season 7 : Episode 10

131 Comments
Comments (131)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This show has been a flaming wreck for some time now. It's almost a little disturbing that you feel like this season long dumpster fire has been better than what's been happening before. If season 7 manages to be any better it will be the equivalent of someone suffering from near alcohol poisoning waking up just long enough to vomit into a toilet before passing out again.
Flag
One thing that would make this show better is kill Willa, Violet, Tara and all the insignificant vampires that are just there. Give better story lines to the likeable characters such as Sam, Alcide and Jason.
Flag
Full disclosure: @coreybaker loves Twilight and never watched True Blood Season 1 or 2.

Flag
Because of the incompetent writers and terrible logic of this season, I'm dying for the show to be canceled.
Flag
I'm like...really? REALLY? There are so many boring and wrong things with Season 6 that I can't start to ennumerate them because I would be here all night. I firmly believe that seasons 1 and 2 were BY FAR the best in the show, no doubt about it.
Flag
If I were to pick only one reason it would be Sarah Newlin.

The show took this meek little minion - using the exact same motivations she had in season 2 - and turned her into a most formidable foe, all the while showing she's no more competent at killing Miss Suzuki than she was running the Fellowship of the Sun.
Flag
The further that they stray from the books the worse True Blood gets. This is what happens when it becomes less about telling the story that has been perfectly and beautifully written and more about the actors that are playing the roles. There were many perfect stories in the books that Charlaine Harris Schultz wrote and for them to deviate so far from that made NO sense to me.
Flag
Well said. Now if we could get rid of Sam, Andy, Alcide, Tara, and Willa, it'd be great!
I think its great that Sarah Newlin is back, like some sort of anti-vamp Hitler, its brilliant! Having said that, as far as villians go, she aint no Russell Edgington, and it was kind of hinted at that Warlow would be somwhere in that category of villian. But he isnt. He's yet another suitor for Sookie. I dont buy that whole thing, she isnt that special, why are all these people fighting over her?!! And the way they smoothed over the danger she was supposed to be in by making him her fairy prince (puke) does not ring true with the fear that the other fairies showed towards the very notion of Warlow, nor his menacing presence in the bathroom towards the end of last season. I would like more Jessica and a bit less Bill, but on the whole this season is doing very well at bringing True Blood back to life. I was almost not going to watch this season at all. So kudos to them in that regard.
Flag
Well said. Season 6 is better than Season 4 & 5 definitely. But the show needs trim so much more fat. A few more characters need to be shown the door before season 6. Also it needs to focus more on Sookie-Eric storyline and try and follow the books for a change.
Flag
Season 1 was excellent. Season 2 was OK. I enjoyed 3 but ever since then it's been fairly terrible. I thought the first episode of this season was one of the worst ever and have now stopped watching.
Flag
Agreed, great article.
Flag
nothing changed. i am fascinated with the vampire world co-exist with human.
Flag
I thought the series peaked at season 3. You could definantly see some of the major problems of the series start to become more present in season 3, but it wasn't that big of an issue. Season 4 was one big pile of crap. Anything and everything was just a huge mess. They started the season with a fairy civil war, but dropped all plot involved with in after the first 20 minutes. They introduced witches, but the threat fizzled out by ghost. There were just too many elements to the season, and it either needed to be edited down, or split up into two season to do the plot justice. With that said, season 5 was better than 4, but that's a piss pour comparison to make, and this season is much more concise. I think it however still has a problem in the sense that certain characters don't really have a purpose. Sam, and Acide for example don't have a purpose anymore to the main plot. They probably would be more important had Jason become a wearpanther.
Flag
I never understood why they didn't make him a werepanther...I was waiting for it, and sometimes I'm still waiting for it...like if a vampire drink much of his blood the were gene is going to act I don't know...thinking back that was a really crazy storyline...
Flag
Frankly, I think True Blood started going downhill from Season 2 on, and it's just getting worse and worse. I don't know why HBO bothers buying the rights to a series of great books with intricate plotting progressing from book to book, just to transform everything on a whim, season after season. It started with not killing off Lafayette (who was supposed to die in Season 2). Even though some of the new stuff is interesting, there are way too many characters jostling for screen time, Bill has been turned into a weirdo (and that's saying something for a vampire!), people keep venting out by removing their clothes and having long, overexposed sex scenes... If they'd just stuck to the books, they'd have had a much better show. If I was Charlaine Harris, I would be livid. She just published the final Sookie book, and the ending was great. We'll never see that on HBO!
Flag
I've actually rather enjoyed that they strayed from the books, it allowed me to enjoy these characters in a different way. I loved the books,aside from the ending to the series. The show has had its faults, but I've still had a blast watching. Especially this season, wow.
Flag
Not like her books ended any better...
Flag
Big Bads. S1 wins HANDS DOWN.

And this is a crucial part of TB's problem- the lessening of the sense of jeopardy because we know Sookie, Eric and Bill are too important to kill off.

Russell Edgington was a fabulously camp Big Bad, but he had nothing on Renee Lenier who was genuinely scary. Maryann the Maenad also had her moments.

Sarah and the Vamp Camp are better than The Authority and the Witches decent; so far Sarah is mean, but scary?
Wila glamoured her way out of Gen Pop- so what is everyone waiting for?

Im hella disappointed in what Warlow turned out to be. Feels like a MASSIVELY wasted opportunity.

There is no sense of jeopardy about him, no suspense. He's just another Supe intoxicated by Sookie's half-fairy snatch. Alan may have ballsed up S5, but Warlow was a fantastic legacy to leave and thus far it has been squandered. I pray it wont end up this way, but I'd bet anyone a dollar, he'll end up sacrificing himself for Sooks. Cos she's totally worth it of course.

Eric, Bill, Pam, Jessica, Jason, Tara- I love. I'd watch them go shopping.
However I want broad yet consistent characterisation. Don't have them flip 180 to fit a plot idea.
I love the mad plots- they are my reason for watching TB ( I don't care for the soapy, wish fulfilment romances).
I just want 'my' characters to respond to the mad circumstances IN CHARACTER! And I want the characters back in steamy Bontemps and back at Fangtasia.

I like Sam, have done since S1, I just wish he had more to do than mope about dead girlfriends. Lafayette also needs more to do- he's an absolute gem of a character, killing of Jesus was a disastrous decision.

Alcide needs to get gone and take his worthless pack with him.

More+
Flag
What the hell are you talking about ?! Season 6 is the worst ! and guess what ?
Last 4 seasons were not that good so it is really AWFUL !
Let's SEE :
- Bill is just Lost and fooling around !
- Eric is so MEH in this season !
- What is the biggest thing Sookie did in this season , until Now ? Banging Warlow !

- Alcide is so fucked UP !
- Jason , Oh Man , are you with Vampires or NOT ?!!!
++ Only things keeping me around right now , JESSICA AND PAM !!!!
Flag
I like S6.

But I miss the Bontemps- I miss the townsfolk. The town and the steamy southern mis-en-scene was so evocative in S1 & S2- you could smell the dank humidity, feel the heat and the menace of the dark nights.

That's what's missing. The crazy plots are fantastic, I'll keep watching- but I feel the crazy works best in a grounded context to keep it realtable.

I *loved* Merlottes! I loved the bar flies and the sleazy women hitting on Jason, I loved the dead waitresses. I loved all the nutty people/ day players who populated the back of shot in S1. Where'd they all go?

The vampires are the best part of the show, but I feel they work best in context of familiar Bontemps.
Flag
I think you hit the nail on the head
Flag
I agree. It's what gave the show a side of realism to all the fantastic crap that goes on around the day to day life of Bon Temp. It's what made it believable. I mean, lets be honest here. How the hell is Sookie able to go grocery shopping? She hasnt worked in forever. And since she was dead most of her finances would have been liquidated, so she'd be starting from scratch. And now that the house is in her name shouldnt she be paying bills? As stupid as it might seem, the fact that they no longer show her working or having to do all the normal every day things bugs the living crap out of me. It was the normalcy that made the steamy, messed up, crazy relationships and the unbelievable story lines, like maenads, fit in. Because, yes, Sookies a telepath and yes, there are vamps but she works her butt off as a waitress at Merlotte's and those vamps? Run a bar to make their money. I miss that. This season would be far more realistic if they were doing all of this crazy, god-fairy-warlow stuff in between all the daily crap that people just have to do in order to live.
More +
Flag
Really glad to watch TB perk up this season and Alan Ball leave. It was obvious he was dragging this show into an early grave. This show just had too many characters & asinine plot lines to keep their paychecks rolling.
Keep the main steady characters. Alcide must go and should of hit the road last year. Sam must stay but frivilous side stories about him should not be necessary. Merlot's bar is a mainstay for this show. At least I thought so, but then I haven't seen Sookie 'on the job' for way too long. Arlene is god awful & now that she got a life insurance as a widow, hopefully she will pack up and move to brighter horizons. The gay cook should of stayed in the background , also the Bellflower cop. Giving those characters more than 5 minute face time each episode was so tedious to endure. Jason and Tara's character's do not need so much emphasis either. We get it, Jason is an idiot and Tara a whiner but if writers can't give them interesting plot additions , let them go. Oh yeah, Pam is by far a mainstay. Unfortunately she has been mostly swept under the rug .
More+
Flag
You sound like you've barely even watched the show
Flag
I thought it was shaping up to be a great season, easily as good as 5 (one of the few that enjoyed S5 a lot), but that last episode was just one huge pile of retcons, plot holes, and bad plot devices to get to the rest of the season that it single handedly drags the season down. It might full out ruin the season as well... we shall see. Though from here on out I watch Dexter first on Showtime then watch the recorded True Blood to fast forward. Never done that before.
Flag
I agree, Season 6 has been really good. I hope Sarah Newlin sticks around because her hateful motivations are believable. For the first time in years, it's gonna be a long wait till Season 7 next year.
Flag
True Blood has taken such a big downfall from it's Season 5 that was such a disappointment. Everything about the Vampire Authority and the stupid Lillith stuff was so NOT True Blood. I'm so happy this season has changed things around so much and shown us glimpses of the early seasons that focused around our Vampire and human characters. Although, I still would have liked the usual 12 episodes instead of the 10. After all, since this season is going so well, it wouldn't matter if another 2 episodes were added to allow for more storytelling.
Flag
the only season I loathed was season 5 but 4 wasn't great. I agree about alcide, and about sam, super_friend21. I am very happy with this season, ive always been a fan, but now im proud to be one again.
Flag
While I agree with everything said, I'd like to say that I actually enjoyed Season 4. Season 5 was painful, yes.

Also, Alcide and all the other werewolves MUST DIE but I like Sam so the writers NEED to make him a recurring character.
Flag
I thought i was the only one who thought true blood wasnt actually a good show. If only i werent a horror\creature fan, i wouldve ditched it seasons ago...
Flag
"Meanwhile, Pam and Tara have shown up only occasionally, and that's just fine. We don't need to see them all the time. " My only real beef.... the little of Pam I had seen the first few episodes, was whining and not being awesome. Things are looking better these last few episodes. Tara and poor Lafayette have been underused. All that time wasted on Alcide and Sam... toss some of that screen time to Lala. Hopefully they'll work that out.
Flag
I'm always for more Pam, I love the caracter's cynicism, she's great. She was really annoying at the begining of this season. But she has completely got back her awesomeness now in Vamp Camp. I love her scenes with the shrink.
Flag
I think Pam got her groove back once she was separated from Tara. How she acted on the first few episodes still sucks though, because I didn't think it was possible for Pam to be annoying. Despite this, I still think she's been the most consistently good character on this show.
Flag
I really don't even think Tara was/is the problem.. it was just the writing had her running around whining about the bar and Eric. Once that mess was over with it was all good. Guess we can chalk it up to show runner switch over.
Flag
is just me or with the dead of his sister, Eric is on the verge of a heel turn... that would be awesome
Flag
I was sure I would not return for the sixth season after what they'd been doing with my once-favorite show since season three but they do seem to be re-finding some of that original goodness. This season has been truly enjoyable so far and I can't praise the trimming of storylines enough.
Flag
I watched True Blood from the start but gave up after 4 episodes of the current season and to be honest haven't missed it a bit. Too many types of "creature", rules changes and stupid storylines for my liking. Still like the theme song though.
Flag
I agree with what you said 100%,... I really enjoyed your analysis,...
it's just as much as it was bad the last two seasons,... it was hardly the worst tv show out there,...
and if I may add another reason that it is awesome this year : going back to raising serious questions about discrimination...,
Flag
I have to agree, this is True Blood at its best again. I still think the first two or three seasons were better than this one but at least I want to watch again. The stories are intruiging and there are not a lot of useless characters this time around. I still think previous storylines, like antoinettegra mentioned, should be picked up in Season 7, just to resolve things.
Flag
The 6th Season really has been a better show though hasn't it? Everything's just more amped up (besides Sam and Alcide) and the stakes seem to actually be worth worrying about.
I don't really think fewer episodes really has much to do with the better quality product that is Season 6, but it'll probably benefit from it in the end. Although Season 7 might be back up to 12, when the renewal was announced the number of episodes was not, but if it does go back up to 12 I think Buckner is up for the task.
Flag
i still fast forward a lot of scenes: sam's and werewolves' bits are boring and unrelated to the actual plot. glad luna and the kid are gone.
Flag
I agree. I fast forward through a lot of stuff, but not as much as I did for previous seasons. Except for Russell, most of the new characters and story lines have been pretty banal. This is the first season in a long while I've looked forward to watching instead of thinking...well I've nothing better to do, better take 10 minutes and catch up on True Blood.
Flag
and the gratuitous sex scenes. sometimes, it's just plain porn.
Flag
Seriously. Like Sam starts hooking up with that girl whos is like 15 years younger than him a day after Luna dies?
It felt like an excuse to have a sex scene, those scenes would have been better served showing Emma bonding with Sam. As it was, I didn't understand why Sam has to run away with the kid.
Flag
to easily give her up again. the scene with sookie and warlo too - i really don't need to see her boobs anymore. or jason's ass, for that matter.
Flag
yay sarah newlin... hottest character on the show...
Flag
What was Niall's purpose and will we ever find out where he is, if Hadley and Hunter survived, and who ate the fairies in the meadow? Those story lines stopped cold.
Flag
Warlow ate them. I think they said that last episode or the one before that
Flag
I totally agree, I was considering not watching this season as well, but it has surprised me. I liked season three (mainly because of Russell) and half of season four, but season five was awful and dull. Season six has been a massive improvement. As much as I love Joe, Alcide has to go. His storyline is the worst. Sam could leave too and I wouldn't care too much.
Flag
They should have done something more with Alcide in the beginning but after he and Sookie fizzled out there really was no reason for him to stay.
Flag
Eric is the best character the way Victor newman is the best character in Young and the restless - typical apex alpha male of a soap opera, bad with a little bit of good to not feel so ban about loving bad guys.
Flag
I actually liked season 5 apart from the fact that russell and christopher meloni's characters were under/misused. season 4 was decent apart from how marnie was "defeated". i haven't been a huge fan of this season and the vamp camp setting. the potential for bilith was what brought me back for this season but he really hasn't had much compelling things to do
Flag
1) It was predicted Warlow was Ben in ep 1. 2) What happened to Rutger Hauer being on the show?! 3) Eric & Pam's Matrix scene was RIDICULOUS 4) Bill being set on fire was the single bright spot on the season.
Flag
The writers all need to be fired. They're breaking all the rules that true blood has had for 5 YEARS! Sarah Newlin sending Jessica out of JASON'S house? COME-ON. HBO needs to either clean house, or cancel.

Flag
Um, Cooter invited Russell into ALCIDE'S house 3 seasons ago.
Flag
These bozos are on crack. Season 6, WITHOUT DOUBT, is the worst season yet.
Flag
I don't think you should flat-out declare that Eric is the best character. I don't find him very interesting, I'm much more interested in Sookie.
Flag
Maybe I'll start watching it again in this case, I didn't actually read the article because if I do want to watch it I don't want to have things spoiled. The characters have all just become so terrible, at the end of last season I was just done, the writers had ruined every single character and taken away what made them enjoyable. Maybe they correct this at least in part this season, maybe I'll give it another chance.
Flag
Watch Season 6! It's by far, the best season since 3. I wasn't too floppy on 4 & 5, but Trueblood has made a terrific comeback! You won't be disappointed, this, I promise you!!
Flag
Am i the only one who really liked season 4?
Flag
I liked the Eric-amenesia storyline, it made him and Sookie follwing in love a lot more believable.
Flag
Yes! I only enjoyed Eric's amnesia, but the Marnie storyline sucked! No pun intended!
Flag
Season 4 could have been great but because Alan Ball didn't have the balls to get rid of useless characters and storylines, and because he was intent on keeping vampires supremely powerful, they ruined it and by the end of the season it really was just annoying.

It's too bad because I really enjoyed how it started.
Flag
So true! If wearwolves could physically match vampires the Alcide storylines would be a lot more interesting.
Flag
It had potential early on, and I think amnesia Eric was funny for an episode or two, but it got stupid fast. Fiona Shaw is such a great actress, and it killed me to see her wasted like that.
Flag
I like season 4, mainly because of Jesus. Though amnesiac Eric was adorable too. I'm not sure what that says about me.
Flag
yes?
Flag
Last season I finally grew tired of True Blood and stopped watching. But reading this and all the comments on Twitter about the new season I'm going to tune back in and marathon S6.
Flag
You can sum up this season in one word: Fantastico!
Flag
I agree that this season has been better than most of the past few seasons. I disagree that season 4 and 5 were the worst though, the whole Marrianne/Maynad storyline was the most ridiculous to me.
It felt like when most supernatural shows are nearing their end and grasping for filler, which was surprising because it was so early on in the life of the show. I almost stopped watching TB then, I started the show after TVD had already begun and I remember thinking that TVD was the better vampire show because that whole storyline had gotten so weird. I mean the ostrich egg the bridesmaids had to lick with blood? The bull that gores Marianne..the tone of the show was just..off
Flag
Great article and I think in essence, it is true that S06 is a huge improvement to most of Season 5 (the word Authority will forever make me squirm) and the second half of Season 4. Season 4 could have been a great season as the witches were the first real threat to vamps but half way through they made Eric into a lovesick puppy and the witches got boring.
Flag
I am so confused by this... This season is pretty awful. The only things I've loved is Eric's throw-back to the original Dracula and Eric yelling "FANTASTICO!" This season has definitely had some good moments... but not enough to where I would call is a "good season" and nowhere near enough to call it "the best." Hell outta here with that
Flag
He never said it was the best season, he said it was the best since season 2 or 3.
Flag
Don't you mean "she"?
Flag
I still disagree... This season has been garbage in my opinion and my opinion alone of course. I know where the story is going and what the end result is, I just feel like this season is aimlessly wandering around to the point. It's just not that good.
Flag
Not alone.
Flag
So you think it sucks real bad too huh? I kind of know where you stand after reading your post on episode 5, but do you think it's worse than ever?
Flag
But at least it seems to have an idea of where it wants to go, unlike last season, where it was at it's most aimless and meandered to no direction at all. If you think it's the worst season, that's fine.
Flag
I think I just miss Alan Ball. I just feel like everything is off. The characters are there... but they're like pod ppl. Not 100% themselves. I think having concentration camps is a little too on the nose, but still interesting. I'm just not seeing how so many vamps who are supposed to be able to move as fast as the speed of light are getting caught lol. Why can't Sam have a proper storyline? WHY have they made Alcid such a douche bag when he was one of the most likeable characters? There's just too many faults for me and I'm having a rough time connecting with the characters. But I still love the show and I'll of co9urse keep watching.
Flag
The real question is, is True Blood better because of all the reasons you said and because its returning to its roots or is this season better because there was no more space for it to get any worse?
Flag
There is always room for worse in TV. However bad the last two seasons were, the core cast was always there to smooth things over and, at least in my case, there was never any doubt that the show would eventually reclaim its glory. I am glad Nielsen viewers seemed to think the same as the show's ratings never skipped a beat despite the painfully obvious declining quality. BTW Great article Cory!
Flag
I have really appreciated how the show seems to be pulling itself together this season. There are so many loose ends to tie up, but they're doing it. I don't even remember the last season of True Blood I enjoyed as much as this one.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members