A True Blood Community
HBO (ended 2014)

True Blood S06E05: "F*** the Pain Away"

What an episode. Never has True Blood veered so closely to The Vampire Diaries territory! The fairy-cavemen costumes, the subtitled pre-history language, the righteously romantic ancient hunk. Even the vampire camp had a weird Hunger Games feel. "F*** the Pain Away" felt like it pulled from every zeitgeist teen fantasy story, except for that whole infanticide thing, and that is meant entirely as a compliment. 

After threatening Ben's/Warlow's life, Sookie learned there was a whole new beau in her rogue’s gallery of undead admirers. Warlos has dreamed of her for millennia, longed for her before she was born, she is his betrothed, his promised, his fae Kate Middleton. And we learned through Lafayette’s intercession that he’s not lying, we saw him in flashback arguing with Sookie’s parents that he was a prince and because of some scroll that looked vaguely RenFaire-ish she was contractually his fairy princess bride. 

Instead of laughing the guy out of the house, Sookie’s dad decided the best way to protect Sookie from this so-called prince's rather premature courtship was to kill his daughter that very night, drugging her and loading her into the car to presumably throw her off a bridge. This was possibly the best twist writers could have thrown into the foundation of the series. What a dark, weird, Southern gothic reveal that both frames Warlow as this impossibly romantic, vampiric Mr. Darcy and simultaneously makes Sookie’s backstory so.much.creepier. 

Unfortunately, as he’s done approximately 48 times before, Lafayette ended up possessed by a murderous ghost (that of Sookie's A-hole dad) who decided to finish the job he first attempted to carry out so many years ago and steep Sookie in the river like a bony teabag. In her panic, Sookie apparently forgot she has tasers for hands and just kind of squirmed around in his arms. Guys, you think they’ll kill her off next week? Hahaha J/K. Yawn. No one f-ck with Lafayette while he has that giant blonde target in his arms, please, or I will be furious. I blame Sookie for not seeing this coming. How many people does he have to accidentally kill while possessed with vengeful spirits before people stop asking him to do free psychic work? I mean, really. Although I did love that before a ghost hopped in his mouth he called Sookie out for not working at her workplace. I guess not eating cuts down on bills.

But let’s backtrack: Before Sookie could get to the bottom of her troubled past/endanger Lafayette’s life by mere proximity, she and Warlow got a good long look at each other in their draws before Bill ran inside the house and activated his Billith powers to their fullest potential by compelling Warlow to leave with him. While I was at first irked by Bill’s cockblockery, the series of flashbacks he was about to treat both Warlow and us to were among some of the funniest moments of television I’ve ever witnessed.

Fairy cavemen! Before fairies built their cultural aesthetic from a mishmash of JC Penney formalwear, Cirque de Soleil, and go-go dancing, they were fairy cavemen, who built straw huts and wore wigs and worked out. This whole sequence! I want it always. I want the frames printed on my sheets so I can see them when I wake up at night in between my dreams.

Then Lillith changed everything by humping Warlow’s leg and changing him. This scene was probably meant to be raw and sexy but all I could think of was how uncomfortable that day of filming must've been. Such context-free, gratuitous, crotch-on-leg humping. This is why some of the best actors in Hollywood are completely dissociative. How else could you get through something like this without giggling?

So Billith was Warlow’s maker by some sort of technicality and Bill was excited about the vampire-cum-fairy-blood he needed to save the vampire race, which is good because Jessica had just decimated the Bon Temps fairy supply. 

I give Andy a lot of guff but the scenes in which he discovered his daughters, stood up to Vampire Bill, and took his lone surviving girl home were incredibly well-acted and touching. The whole premise of Andy having one surviving fairy daughter is both poignant and sad. He saved her with some vampire blood and now she’s been transformed from a sort of jokey, weird tangent to a survivor who just had the only people she’d ever relate to torn away from her during their collective first attempt to deal with the world... and brutally murdered before her eyes. Jessica felt really bad about it.

Jessica was also really high on fairy blood. And she kissed Bill, which was meta-awkward on many levels  and then went over to Jason’s house all weepy and fiending for dick. Her line to Jason of "Stay back Jason I might rape you or somethin’!" was code for "Why are your pants still on?"

But Jessica’s desperate grab for genital intermingling was to be thwarted by the offest part of the episode, Sarah Newlin. Showing all the sensitivity of a rusted anvil, Sarah had started her evening by shooting Willa in front of Governor Burrell and then offering him a replacement baby. Then she threw a fit at him for not having intercourse with her despite her satiny underwear. And THEN she somehow tracked Jason down and waited for him to turn up so she could give him a speech that took all the subtlety out of the satire of her character. 

Personally I think smarmy right-wing nuts are hilarious enough on their own and don’t need spicing up, so this felt like a ridiculously heavy-handed portrayal: Like, True Blood didn’t just gild the lily on this one, they dunked that flower in gold, rolled it in fake pearls and wrapped that shit in a string of Christmas lights. Sarah Newlin's character, I’m saying, felt kind of overdone. Her line about the Lord telling her to fuck Jason felt less like an eloquent crystallization of how fundamentalists use religion to justify their own desires, and more like a broad parody of True Blood. But she got what she came for (diiiiiick), then walked in on Jessica and Jason, got sort of diddled by Jessica, and then rescinded Jessica’s invitation? What? Don’t you have to own a house to rescind an invitation? I was confused, but I’m not a traffic cop for story logic, not with True Blood anyway, I got things to do, so let’s keep moving. 

Alcide made it rain on his dad and Nicole did a face right after getting out of bed with Sam that SAID IT ALL. 

The explicit subtext here is that Sam Merlotte has all the sexual prowess of a wet Birkenstock sandal—which, quelle suprise. The werewolf and shifter plot is chasing its own tail in a circle of pure irrelevancy. Nicole’s face, seriously, is all I can say about Alcide and his pack, Sam and his titties.

Terry, in a surprise move at getting a plotline going, has engaged an army friend/assassin to kill him a couple days from now, without warning. He basically said, "I’m going to be in that sort of high-concept '80s-movie plot where you’ve hired someone to kill you then decide you want to live and run around figuring out the meaning of your life and then realize you can’t die and it's a huge mistake and then you’re trying to escape your own self-arranged assassination. So that’ll be neat." I hope no one kills Terry but this just feels like a waste of everyone’s time. Also, your bro just lost three of his daughters. Kind of rude to put him through more tragedy. 

Eric and Tara surrendered themselves to the vampire camp to save Pam. We talked last week about how quickly True Blood's main characters were getting centralized at the camp,  and now they’ve got practically every vampire on the show in there. Initially I was really worried the vampire camp would be a big, soul-sucking, story-stalling plot warmer. But while there’s a visual resemblance in the very underground/fluorescent-light-heavy setting, (no doubt a big relief for True Blood’s filming schedule but hell on their makeup department) the concept for the camp is way, way, way more exciting than that of the Vampire Authority. 

In this devious little laboratory, humans play vampires against each other, make them run in giant gerbil wheels and basically just dick around with them. Eric was pitted against some other vampires in a mini Hunger Games challenge that he'd handily won before I could even figure out how it worked. When Jessica showed up later, she and Tara were suddenly in a delightful exploitation film about sexy inmate vixens right out of the '60s, with a bad girl runnin’ the joint and everything. It was neat. 

But maybe my favorite part of vampire camp (which is arguably the most intriguing part of the show now) was that Pam was forced to do some introspection, and treated us to a trip inside her head that didn’t disappoint. When she said valued the life of the tuna her psychiatrist ate more than his own, I believed her. It was some great and nuanced work by Kristin Bauer van Straten, hilarious at first and then deeply grounded and real, especially when she spoke of Eric with this amazing mix of guarded casualness and real hurt.  Her expression when they later met face to face, stakes in hand, in the best cliffhanger so far this season—maybe this series—was absolutely perfect.  

Eric had, on his own, been subjected to fighting for survival against other vampires, and this man-on-man, gladiator-style match between Pam and Eric was an intense final scene. Will they rush the mirror and stake humans? Will one of them stake themselves? Will they tussle? Will they throw down their stakes? I honestly have no idea and I care, I actually really and completely care about how it goes down. My fanbrain is engaged by this on every level and it practically glows with electricity every time I think about next week's episode, even though it's such a preposterously sci-fi, adolescently melodramatic set-up . Going back to our teen fantasies theme, this cliffhanger almost exactly mirrors the standoff between Peeta and Katniss in the first Hunger Games, and dammit—that dynamic just works. It's some penultimate conflict between love and self, otherness and safety. Someone smarter than me should write a thesis about why our teens' (and our) fantasies these days traffic so much in the concepts of being deeply desired by the undead or being forced to kill people you’re sexually attracted to. Creepy! Smash cut to relevant song:  "Creep On Creepin' On"

QUESTIONS:

... Is Terry basically dead?!

... Vampire camp: love it or hate it so far?

... How is Sookie going to get out of this one?

... Is Warlow True Blood's Mr. Darcy?

... What are Eric and Pam going to do?

... What'd you think of "F*** the Pain Away"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/24/2014

Season 7 : Episode 10

254 Comments
Comments (254)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I only have one thing to say about this episode: MORE PAM, finally. Thanks.
Flag
The werewolf and shifter plot is chasing its own tail in a circle of pure irrelevancy. I need this printed on a t-shirt or framed in some way. Great. Just great.
As always i enjoyed the episode even though i couldn't follow Sookie's parents logic one bit. But this seems to be a Stackhouse tradition and nice to see where Sookie and Jason got their penchant for making decisions I can't understand.
The only thing missing in your Bulworth description was Halle Berry.
Flag
Kind of a pseudo-cliffhanger ending there.
How is Niall still alive?
Who is Mr. Darcy?
Eric and Pam, now there is a real cliffhanger.
All in all a pretty bizarre ep. Kind of par for the season.
Flag
This was the best episode of True Blood I have seen in a long time. Not perfect but most of it was enthralling.
Flag
I was thrilled about True Blood. I always watch it.
Flag
I was thrilled when Sookie used Lafayette's skills to connect to her parents. *wooooohooooo* He is such an interesting character, but we've seen this homicidal-possession-thing before. Maybe fashion some kind of talisman to prevent possessions next time? I think I may be watching too many supernatural tv shows!

I was shocked by how quickly all the vampires are being corralled, but was very impressed/shocked/repulsed/moved/amused/outraged by the vampire "experiments" being conducted. Pam was just amazing in this episode. At last!

Like everyone else, I fail to see the relevance of the werewolves/ and shifters to the plot. I do hope they tie it together soon, because their scenes are annoying me. (And we still don't know why Alcide is such a jerk, when he was such a good guy before! just another case of power corrupting? Please explain it to us!)

And Terry gets Deucalion to agree to kill him? *hehehehe* Crazy, huh?
:)

Flag
Great episode... I thought last episode's cliffhanger was great but this one topped by a mile! They should have actually ended it with the revealation of Pam with the stake and now i cannot wait to see what happens between these vampires that we love. I hope they jump the mirror or something... and please dont die :(.

Hope this season went for the usual 12 episodes :( Unfortuantely not.
Flag
I don't know what it was with this episode but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoyed the first few episodes of this season. I was expecting to love it and I just really didn't. Maybe it was Jessica kissing Bill that started me not enjoying it. I don't hate vampire camp which is a surprise, definitely not like the Authority which is such a relief. The whole Warlow thing felt weird only because Sookie and Eric (and even Bill) never seem to really be finished off (despite the first episode that seemed to try to put closure on those relationships) and the Warlow supposedly loving Sookie was just ridiculous. I don't hate him I just feel that whole sequence was very forced. Can't wait for next episode though, Pam and Eric is going to be amazing. Especially excited as I feel Eric hasn't been given enough screen time or good scenes or something. Eric would've made a better Lilith although I would have hated if he was!
Flag
Sometimes I just don't understand why people bother commenting. This episode was amazing! The Jessica-Bill kiss is a social commentary on incest (obviously) - the idea was to evoke that uneasiness in the audience because Bill has been seen as Jessica's dad in many respects. Sookie and Eric did finish (when she rescinded his invitation into her house...duh...how can you get more finished than that???) Warlow loving Sookie is so perfect and is the only way the writers should have taken this plotline. If he had wanted to kill Sookie from the start then he coulda/woulda/shoulda done it at any of the points in time when he was with her, alone, in her house and while she was attracted to him (and it's not like there weren't plenty of those times). Have you been reading my comments on another website?? Because I'm pretty sure you've literally copied and pasted part of one of them. "Eric would've made a better Lilith although I would have hated if he was!" is not your own work Laurensuth. Get some originality puh-lease
Flag
Dude, just because someone did not come away from an episode liking it as much as you or even not liking it at all does not mean they should not "bother commenting." As is I personally found quite a few things in this episode to be way too cheesy and out of place, and clearly even the reviewer is pointing out some of the same things. Doesn't mean we hate the show or shouldn't comment on it. Get a grip.
Flag
Mate. I have got a grip and I'm sure that this laurensuth can fight their own battles. But thanks for your input
Flag
Hey, is that 'The Demon Wolf' from Teen Wolf?
Flag
yes!
Flag
Yeah it looked like him ayy... just couldn't fully recognise him since he wasn't wearing the typical blind glasses
Flag
BAHAHA. Your reviews just make me happy, was trying not to laugh out loud at work. Brilliant. Great episode, loving this season - it's giving me the same thrills I got in S1 and S2.
Flag
Thankyou for this review! It was so spot on and hilarious, and covered every point in my head while I watched it.... Seriously... how many times are they going to ask Lafayette to channel dead people... has anything good even ONCE come out of it!! I really hope the main character to die this Season is going to be Terri or Sam... I used to love Terri but he is no longer providing comic relief and his storyline seems so pointless for ages now. I do think that even though Sam is pretty bland, and I'm so sick of seeing him naked, he still adds something. He's a friend to Sooki and Tarah. Please don't let be Pam or Jessica the ones who die, they are two of the best characters on the show by far!!! OMG It is so scary the Hunger Games stand off between Erik and Pam!!
I love every scene with Steve Newlin and his ex wife. How classic was Jason's comment, "Well yeah, now you're ex-husband is a gay vampire." I am so happy they found a way to bring these three together again, I can't stop laughing when they are all on!
Sooki is looking hotter then ever this season! I really like Warlow!
More+
Flag
Pretty poor episode, Eric and Tara surrendering seemed just idiotic and then Eric's blind following of the rules was even worse but not nearly as bad as the impending prison mini-drama we are seemingly about to get in the women's prison.

Whilst I enjoyed Pam's therapy it once again seemed to make no sense to me, she doesn't seem like the type to volunteer all her info just for a feed, more likely to chomp down on her new shrink even with guns pointed at her.

Sookie captures Warlo and then just lets Bill take her? Why not demand that he stays or she'll fae nuke them both, the idea that she loves him is just ridiculous.

Terry's story again flies in the face of his character, sure he's got guilt but I don't see him just leaving Arlene and the kids on their own.

Andy, sure I guess they needed to cull down the characters but wouldn't he at least take the bodies of his other kids even if they were dead.

The tribe fae stuff was entertaining but only in how badly it was all done.

Lafayette is a moron, he should have learnt by now, but Sookie's dad takes top prize as biggest imbecile in a show littered with them. The idea that to save his daughter he will kill her is just plain crap and doesn't invoke the same interest in her back story as Lily has managed to find.

Ok these are all the ridiculous points and there were good points in there too, Steve Newland I particularly enjoyed. And I fully understand this show is meant to be ridiculous but this episode didn't get it right at all.

Alcide and Sam don't deserve discussing, get rid of Alcide (make a nice poignant death of it soon) and Sam should get back to being interesting, his powers are so his story should be too.
More+
Flag
I loved the Pam therapy session, though me and Mate had what I like to think was good debate/discussion about that. The only thing she gave away that she shouldn't have was the stuff about the maker bond, and if she would of dropped Eric's name, that would've been fucking stupid. Most of it didn't even seem like therapy, most of it seemed like she was just teasing the guy, telling him what he wanted to hear.
Flag
That's a fair point, but still it kind of bit her in the ass at the end when they revealed they not only knew who her maker was but also had him in captivity as well.

What if when Eric and Tara arrived they had just executed them via sunlight in that room they were in, that's the main point I don't like. I understand it's a plot devise to get them all together and as Lily mentioned I am sure the actors don't mind as they can presumably shoot daytime scenes rather than the vamps mostly night time shoots but it just seemed unbelievable, and as this is Trueblood that really is saying something.

(TV.com why doesn't the formatting for posts stick, my broken up post becomes one giant word horror show)
Flag
it's like in the Austin Powers movie--take forever to kill the "hero" so he has time to live and be successful (stupid villains)
Flag
That I can agree with. I feel Eric has been a little dumbed down on these past few episodes, though maybe he has some kind of master plan. We'll just have to wait and see. I do wonder how Eric and Pam will get out of their dangerous situation.
Flag
Adding some more 'Deadwood' to the cast, welcome to a bad show Pruitt Taylor Vince! I would have much preferred an hour of him with Pam on the couch than anything else that happened in that episode. Kristin Bauer van Straten is very good playing the greatest character on this ever devolving show and she deserves a whole hour with someone as equally gifted like the veteran Vince. Their scenes together were fantastic. They are just killing Robert Patrick for me. There was hope with him and Alcide starting last season - and then on a dime they turn Alcide from the dude supposedly deserving to be the pack master (that sounds so stupid) and throw in killing Shiva -from 'why isn't he just dead yet' Sam Merlotte's story - and they turn Alcide and his father's growing bond into garbage. They were doing so well then .... jump off the cliff.

Why do they all refer to Steve Newlin as Sarah's gay vampire ex-husband? When anyone mentions him or talks about him with her its always 'you mean your gay vampire ex husband' Why keep explaining exactly who the character each time he is mentioned? Lazy writers.

If this show wanted to borrow ideas from the master, why not pick a better season to steal from than 'Buffy' Season 4? This same story - rounding up the supernaturals was also already done this year on the superior drama with fae "Lost Girl". These 'True Blood' writers look real lazy.
More+
Flag
I am currently making my way through the excellent Deadwood and am in season 3 which means a whole lot of Jane yelling at Pruitt Taylor Vince, now I just hope they can fit Wu saying 'cocksucker' in somewhere.
Flag
As you near the end of that third season (which brought Bryan Cox - who was so great as Langrishe - in to get a big story in season 4 which never happened) that you know is coming, you keep asking yourself, Why did they cancel something this good with so much story left to tell? Robin Weigert still works, a lot, on television - SAMCRO's lawyer! -but it sucks she'll never inhabit Jane Canary again.
Flag
Thank you God !!!! Finally a perfect episode and we are back on track again !!

Flag
Is it just me, or did True Blood kinda started getting good again?!
Flag
It started to get love-trianglish again (Warlow/Sookie/Billith, Jessica/Jason/Mrs. Newlin, etc.). I'm not sure if its a good thing, but indeed it got love-trianglisha again.
Flag
Which character has the worst story so far in this season?
I wish I could vote for both Sam and Alcide. I just skip their scenes, could not care less about them or their s/l.
Flag
I can't remember the last time I enjoyed an episode of True Blood so much! The revelation about Sookie and Warlow's past and everything that went on in the vampire camp was exciting, fun and completely unexpected stuff.

And you perfectly described the worst subplots, Lily, 'The werewolf and shifter plot is chasing its own tail in a circle of pure irrelevancy' and 'I hope no one kills Terry (I don't necessaryily agree with you on this) but this just feels like a waste of everyone’s time'.
Flag
Really enjoyed the episode and the review. I can't stop thinking who the major character death will be. It's looking less and less likely to be Sam or Alcide but that was always just wishful thinking. I don't really mind who bites the dust but if I had the choice, i'd keep Pam, Jason and Arlene and KILL BILL.
Flag
Oh man... Why do the fae's have the worst settings? Seriously, I thought it couldn't get worse than the Cirque de Soleil nightclub but those caveman scenes were painful to watch.
Flag
Lovely summary!
Flag
It felt like they used up there entire season sex quota in a single episode
Flag
I laughed out loud so many times during this episode and I enjoyed myself the whole way. It feels like the writers just spin a wheel of story ideas and those things make it to the screen. True Blood doesn't make me think but it definitely keeps me entertained.
Flag
Personally I'm getting a little confused with all the stories… maybe it's because we're in the middle of the season, but some stories seem to pop up and disappear just as fast. Maybe it's overwritten a little, and there aren't many emotional «character moments» like in the earlier seasons. Except for Andy and Holly, what a great scene.
Flag
I can't believe what an a-hole they're making Alcide this season. Sigh. And Sam? Please just let rocks fall on him or something. Let him disappear to wherever the werepanthers went.
Flag
I agree! I used to really like Alcide, now I couldn´t care less about him...
Flag
Staff
Yes Please. From your comment to the showrunner's ears.
Flag
Okay, I think I'm done being generous with this show!

It seems to happen every season now. It starts off fresh and new, with promising developments and interesting new characters, and like a horny murderer trippin' on fairy blood I'm all "YAY! True Blood is back! What unadulterated and retarded fun!"

Then, inevitably, after a few episodes I'm like "Yuck! True Blood is back. What the fuck is even going on?" I don't know how Lily does it. She's so INTO it. Breaking down the symbolism and metaphorical meaning of vampirism in TB one clever pop-culture reference/comparison at a time. There is so much enthusiasm and intelligent insight in her reviews that I TOTALLY do not feel or see. I almost want to tap her on the shoulder and say "You DO know this is a pretty terrible show, right? Occasionally charming ridiculousness aside, we could be watching Breaking Bad reruns or something."

It's just that every storyline is dumber than the next. Which brings to me favorite (and coincidentally just created) segment of these comments:

RANK THE STORYLINES! ... In terms of stupidity! (It's a working title).

7. Vamp-Camp! (The only parts of this episode that I found slightly intriguing took place within the camp. Eric and Pam's showdown could be cool, plus Pam's therapy was as enlightening as it was terrifying. She apparently places NO value on human life and REALLY loves her maker. Hmmm. I wonder why the humans in this show fear vampires? I can't figure it out!)

6. Andy and his one remaining fairy child! (Last week when Jessica drained those poor fairies I instantly exclaimed to an empty room "There's no way they're all dead! That would be too cruel to Andy!" So coming into this episode I was harboring hope that at least one of them survived. Look at me. Caring about something on this show. Anyway, I agree with Lily that Andy kinda killed it this week and has suddenly become a lot less laughable. I guess that's what the responsibilities of being a father to a 2-week grown-up fairy child will do for you. Protect your girl, Andy!)

5. Sookie and her stubbornly murderous father! (If we were ranking these storylines on hilariousness than this one would easily be #1. When Sookie's crazy daddy took over Lafayette's body and jammed her into the trunk of a car I was LAUGHING MY ASS OFF! I wish there were an acronym for that. I mean, how am I *supposed* to feel about this? Worried for Sookie? Nope! Even slightly invested in the obvious outcome? Nope! Wondering why she wasn't using her FUCKING FAIRY POWERS?! Ding, ding, ding!!! But at least it was good for a laugh.)

4. Anything to do with Jessica and Jason! (GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAN! Wait, I don't know if I articulated my point well enough - UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! I really, REALLY just straight-up hate these two. And what in Billith's name does Jessica have to do to get people to dislike her? Suck an actual fairy baby dry? She's not that hot! ... Okay, yes she is, but she still deserves some hate.)

3. Terry and his idiotic suicide pact! (Grow some balls, Terry! You've got a wife and kids who depend on and love you now, so suck it the fuck up and keep on keepin' on! It was either him or you. I thought we established this at the end of last season ... Ah hell, I don't even care anymore. Go ahead, Terry! Make this show slightly less stupid.)

2. Sam and his endless shit! (I am SO done with shirtless/asscrack Sam! Didn't Luna die like A FEW DAYS AGO, and he's already shackin' up with some strange. You are the personification of "Yuck!", Sam. I honestly don't know who that little girl would be better off with. Oh, and I also include the Werewolf BS in this storyline. Wouldn't it be awesome if they all died somehow? Like an asteroid or whatever... I'm not very creative.)

1. Warlow and Billith's flashbacks of inanity! (No. Just no. You used to be good at this sort of thing, TB! Now you have even less tact than TVD, which is SAYING something. I don't know what was stupider, the offhandedness of Lillith's prophecy, the weird sex scene, or the fact that after YEARS of being a vampire, Warlow couldn't stop sucking his family dry, oh I don't know, after the 10th person! How about a three-way tie!)

Now it's time for another just created segment:

VAMPIRE RANT!

I don't know if this has already been discussed ad nauseam on these boards, and if it has, then I guess I'm throwing my hat in the ring. The subject I am referring to: HATRED OF VAMPIRES IS NOT COMPARABLE TO RACISM!

I've come to despise these shows that somehow try to paint vampire hatred as akin to racism, prejudice, bigotry and xenophobia. Vampires are not human beings. Inherently hating a person simply because of the color of their skin is deplorable, disgusting and the definition of racism. But would someone please explain to me how the hell that equates to vampirism?

Vampires have no heartbeat and no pulse. They are super-fast, super-strong, can hypnotize you, and the older they are, the stronger and scarier they become. They have an insatiable need to drink blood, preferably fresh blood. And also, as Pam so eloquently pontificated upon, the rules of morality and mortality are fundamentally different to them. Many of them view humans as nothing more than feeding bags.

Now, I know lumping all vampires together is technically discriminatory, but once again, they are not human beings. Rational definitions of discrimination do not apply. The funny thing is I'm sounding very similar to those supposedly myopic Fellowship of the Sun zealots. They are portrayed as I previously mentioned as redneck bigots who are abhorrently intolerant of the vampire race. I call bullshit on that whole premise. I am not a racist, bigot or xenophobic, but if I lived in a world with vampires, you best believe I would carry a silver chain and a gun loaded with wooden bullets. And this is coming from a pacifistic Canadian.

Of course this is all speculatory and nonsensical since vampires don't exist (or do they? Ooooooooo!), but I've grown tired of rational human beings with a completely justifiable fear of vampires being vilified and marginalized. My point is, unless your last name is "Cullen" and you're a fictional vampire of TV or movies, you probably deserve to die. Jessica just KILLED three innocent fairies, but will she be put on trial for murder? Not bloody likely!

Not all vampires are the same. I'm sure there are many who value human life and try to not murder people, but please TV, stop acting like vampire hatred has anything in common with racism and xenophobia. It doesn't. So, um, yeah, go humans!

RANT OVER!

*Cough*

I may have just thoroughly bashed
this show and episode, but I can't bring myself to hate True Blood entirely. It still has its moments, and even though the stupid is rapidly gaining on the fun, TB has a knack for bringing disparate threads together into a semblance of a plot. There's still hope, basically. But would I ever love to see an asteroid or two.
More+
Flag
why aren't getting the official "spam" errr I mean "request" to join the communities if you haven't already? I mean you always have such insightful comments and are right on about the racism vs speciesims (or whatever word works).
since they didn't comment I will copy and paste on of these generic "requests" (maybe they only do them for comments they like)
here it is:
jessicakroeber Jul 16, 2013
Your comment here is really insightful and awesome. If you haven't checked out the community page for True Blood yet (http://www.tv.com/shows/true-blood/community) you really should! I think comments like this would make fantastic stories and discussion posts over there. - Jessica, TV.com staff
Flag
"Racism vs. Speciesism"

Yes! You get it!

And I don't know why I haven't received one of those messages. I get the feeling sometimes that TV.com doesn't like me. Jealousy maybe?

No, but seriously, thank you. You're always so nice to me. I'm fearing the day will come when you'll dislike one of my comments and write something mean. I don't know if I'll be able to handle it. Never stop being nice, Vicky! Now I'm sounding desperate. Maybe this is the comment you won't like. Oh god, it's happening!
Flag
see comment below
I even logged out so that I could give you 2 thumbs up;-) LOL
Flag
I still feel guilt for saying "no one is perfect"...nothing wrong with New Girl and just felt like "no one is perfect" answered the question but I was wrong and you are perfect...oops, slight fangirl moment;-)

tv.com is TOTALLY jealous of you! and they rightfully should be (dang, another "fangirl" moment--LOL!)

I respect you to much to be intentionally mean to you and if anything sounds mean in response to you then it was "a joke gone wrong". If I disagreed with something I'd either ignore it and no thumbs up (don't think that has ever happened with you) or send you a message;-)

I'm feeling lovee dovee (or is it lovey dovey)~~it's friday!!

I hope they do a FTW/WTF list this week~~WTF: no list last week;-) They were all probably to busy having fun at comic con probably~~yea for them but I missed the list--but since I'm all "lovey dovey" tonight, I hope they managed to have fun while working--they all need some fun, especially Jen who has to listen to us (errr, me) complain about her baby (this site). I love the site but take a "tough love" approach it it;-)
Flag
Where have you been all my (online) life? (Sorry! Weird, stalker-ish fanboy moment!)

Flag
Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I totally agree, especially with the beginning. Just when I thought they were done with all those crazy subplots they're back to establishing predictable and unnecessary subplots that take at most (!) 2 scenes per episode (why the hell would you do it at all, writers, if you think it's only worth 2 minutes out of 50. Stop wasting ours and your time). I can already see the end (but especially middle) of this season have dozens of unconnected subplots yet again. YAWN.
Flag
It's always nice to hear you're not alone in your frustration.

Here's the subplots I could do without:

- Anything to do with Sam
- Anything to do with Alcide
- Anything to do with Terry
- Anything to do with Jason (I know he's technically not a "sub-plot", but I wish he was.)
Flag
Definitely axeable. I'm sure Lafayette will also get one soon and it will be horrible. I was already laughing at how this episode brought him back as a Medium so that we don't forget that he still exists.

And Dexter basically has the same disease TB has: Absolutely no focus. Neither on story nor characters. A lot of time spend with nothing happening.
Flag
Hopefully one of those is the big death this season. By the way, are you finding Dexter to be as dull as I'm finding to be this season? I ask because I haven't seen you comment on the reviews.
Flag
I wrote a comment for the premiere, but haven't felt inspired to write anything for the next two episodes, which pretty much tells you how I feel about the season so far.

But to directly answer your question, yes, I have found it to be incredibly dull. There has been far too much Quinn, and Deb seems to be in a self-repeating spiral and I just want to slap her out of it.

Vogel isn't nearly as fascinating to me as Cory Barker would have you believe, and I think her whole character is a cheap device to look back into Dexter's origins. I'll also be pleasantly surprised if she's NOT this seasons big bad, because I can easily see her being some sort of psychopath puppet-master.

As I've been saying for three seasons now, more Dex and Deb, and less everything else.
Flag
Preach, brother. Preach.
Flag
It's okay FringeFanatic, let it all out. I agree that Eric and Pam were the only intriguing parts, and your vampire rant really nailed something. We should be cheering these humans on, yet I still can't see some of my beloved vampires die on this show, even if they have hold NO value on human life.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Hey, can someone take a crack at pointing out the huge and numerous continuity problems that arise from all the Warlow flashbacks we saw in last night's episode? I got a few already (he didn't look the same way he looked on his very first flashback; he didn't sound or talk the same way he did when he appeared to Sookie in her bathroom just a couple of days ago; that new back-story have absolutely nothing to do with the whole smell-her-cause-of-a-bandaid thing; etc...), but I'm pretty sure I missed a few. Was it so hard for TB's writers to just look up when they've wrote just last year?

Whatever... that was, in my opinion, a pretty terrible episode. From what we learned from Warlow not matching what we thought we already knew about him, to Jason completely reverting to the horny dimwit we thought he finally (kinda) outgrew, to Jess now truly being unredeemable, since she's essentially a baby killer, to the moronic 'scientific' tests done by those anti-vamps dumbass, to witnessing the all-powerful Lilith dying from the stupidest death imaginable (it's just a beam of light, you dumb slut! It's not as if he actually threw you outside! How hard was it for you to just dunk-and-roll!? Do you know how many time Bill Compton managed to survive walking under the sun - and he's not a freakin' vampire god!?!?!?!), to Sam actually sleeping with that girl (urgh... so done defending that douchebag - FOREVER), to Alcide reaching uber-mega level of douchiness (thanks the Lord his father called him out about being so majorly p*ssy-whipped!), to Terry, still acting like a whinny little bitch (for shame, dude... you have kids, goddammit!), to Lafy ONCE AGAIN being possess (ARE YOU FOR REAL, son? How the f*ck don't you have a fail-safe method to prevent sh*t like this to go done? YOU LOST YOUR BOYFRIEND OVER THIS, Lafayette. Shouldn't you know better than calling up spirits without an out against such nonsense!? Dude... you're stupid), to Eric's wow!-are-you-kidding-me?-this-is-the-most-awesomest-best-thought-out-full-proof-Danny-Ocean's-level plan to get Pam out of the vamp-camp... and on and on it goes...

Beegezus H. Krist, what a heffing mess... And you know what's the worst part about it? I actually think it's gonna get worse. This time around, I really believe they won't be able to stir back the ship in the right direction. Hey, Alan Ball - are you seeing what they're doing to your baby? You're still a producer on that show, so please make them stop!!!
More+
Flag
It's like I could have written all this. You get me, MightyMad.
Flag
Coming from you, that is a very high praise.
And same goes to your comments.
I guess us Canucks truly think alike!
Flag
Staff
you are asking for so many headaches. I love it.
Flag
Warlow reverts back to his natural european accent when he's not undercover as a Louisiana boy. I thought that was a fine bit of acting. In the flashback he's speaking pre-iron-age tongue so it's hard to tell ;-)
Flag
Loved the cliff hanger at the end. Personally I really want Pam and Eric to suddenly turn to the mirror, and stage a massive breakout by throwing their stakes through the two may mirror, and attacking all the humans.
Flag
Fairy part was horrrible as always.(Two cents historyFairy channel )
How Sookie will come out of predicament?
She 'll probably yell for Bill or Warlow (or either of them "sense" it) which is predictable and lousy writing.
I liked the Belleflour part though.
Flag
Also, I knew when I saw the "****" in the guide data for the episode that it would be special. Who even bothers with such a crafty title (yeah I know they use the song title, but you know what I mean) if they aren't doing something dripping with syrupy neat?

Also, based on the last review, this episode pretty much gave everything the reviewer was asking for *more pam, more lafayette, less Sam ect..

And yes, as soon as I realized we were doing gender separated vampire prison stuff now, I was like "awesome". That and Eric really enjoying survival puzzle combat action games it seems :P .

So I guess the Fae lived in an Egyptian-y area? It would explain the scroll, probably was written back then after he murdered his people, hence the hieroglyphs Still rather...random white Egypt-y people living with huts in some random place....weird. Although the crappy wig they put on him (like wow, they couldn't have kicked it up one notch from a syfy original budget?) does explain the older Warlow closeups with the long black hair and beard scruff.
Flag
Only thing I don't get, is Niall Warlow's son? Because we see the preggers lady saying 'soon' but then Warlow comes back after years and aren't fairies supposed to be growing up superfast? So that means maybe a couple of generations have passed? Or is he Nialls grandfather? Dungetit.
Flag
I think he was just asking the girl about her pregnancy because she was part of his tribe, I don't think it has much signifigance besides the fact that Warlow said he couldn't bring himself to hurt Niall as a small child, and obv Niall was the baby she was pregnant with. Warlow is not closely related(prb not at all related) to Niall cuz he told sookie's parents that her family and his had been in the same tribe and that his family was the other royal fae family. He wouldn't have been contracted to marry her if they were related like that.
Flag
Is it sad that I was laughing my ass off when Lafayett slammed his hands down on the table and then you see him throwing her in the trunk? It's kind of comical in a sense, it's like "haha, you didn't learn your lesson the last time to restrain yourself so now some other jerk ghost is making you do crazy crap, yeah that's right, you stuff that bitch in the trunk" :P .
Flag
Staff
No I was cracking up. I feel u on this.
Flag
Oh, ok, so Warlo will be what Bill was supposed to be but wasn't.
Flag
A good vampire? A good love interest? A big bad? A conflicted character? I'm afraid that statement is so amgibuous I have no idea what you're going at.
Flag
Sarah Newlin rescinding Jessica's invitation might be because Jason forgot something to put on himself before going in and therefore left something in her. What a gene-skipping fairy this will produce?

Flag
In season 3 (I think) when Russell captured Sookie they were in Alcide's apartment & Cooter, having just entered, was the one who invited Russell in. I don't think you need to be the legal owner or even a guest I think you just need to be human and in the place!!!
Flag
Unless a vampire legally owns the place... magc, so contractually bound.
Flag
Judging this season against season 5 at the same point I have to say there has been a huge improvement. That isn't to say that season 6 doesn't have it's problems Im saying that all the monologueing at the Authority was a steaming pile of horse manure.

Now we have 2 interesting stories in the goings on at the camp & the developing situation with Bilith & Barlow (I'm sorry I'm from the UK & like to think of Ben/Warlow named after Ken Barlow from Coronation Street). I cant wait for next week to see where the Eric/Pam confrontation goes.

It's a poor show by the writers that they have managed to turn a once likeable character in Alcide to someone who I am looking forward to seeing put 6ft under. The character has undergone a complete 180' degree shift from constantly helping Sookie with her vampire craziness to helping Sam avenge his brothers death to essentially lets kidnap a kid "Cuz she's Wolf". The writers have offered no explanation for this shift & that's just lazy.

I know it's been said time & time again but peripheral characters are exactly that, they are there to be used when the main characters need their story lines developed. Good writing for preipheral players will flesh out their characters without detracting from the main draw. But True blood has this annoying habit of skipping around Bon Temps catching up with people we don't give a fu£! about, I don't care that Terry feels bad about shooting Patrick wasn't he threatening Arlene's life so wasn't the shooting justified? I don't care about Sam & his moobs either get him back in his bar slinging JD & coke or get rid of him.

i hear True Blood has been renewed for a 7th season I wish I could say I'm thrilled by that but I'm more excited by what that could mean for Game of Thrones & it getting a full 8 seasons.
More+
Flag
Staff
I agree completely. This season and last season are night and day, and this season is totally winning.
Flag
Staff
Your comment here is really insightful and awesome. If you haven't checked out the community page for True Blood yet (http://www.tv.com/shows/true-blood/community) you really should! I think comments like this would make fantastic stories and discussion posts over there. - Jessica, TV.com staff
Flag
I agree about what you said about Terry and Alcide.I dont care about super bill but I really hope Ben dont get to bea regular ,it's getting crowded (without adding any substance to the story)
Flag
Wow and I thought that they couldn't get any worse than the Vampire authority from last season. BUt no, the LAVT is actually worse. First, it would have taken years, years to develop that kind of structure. Second it lessens these mythical powers of the Vampires that they keep getting captured by yokels in uniforms. The camp is dumb. They just put dozens of immensely powerful beings all together and think that they can control them. Ask anyone that has ever been a correctional officer who has the power in a prison and if they answer truthfully they won't say the guards. Now times go to the power of 100 and then you have vampires. There is no way they could keep them there. And the ball trick? After the first ball bounce. They shouldn't have been able to touch them because they can move superfast. STUPID.

Therapy? Really? Pam is officially the worst character on the show now. Literally nothing that we know of her past would lead anyone to believe that she would do therapy. Even for a juicebox.

The whole Warlo/BIll thing was dumb. DUMB

Sookie getting kidnapped by Ghost daddy through Lafeyette is beyond stupid. She has fairy powers for crying out loud.

Will they stop putting Tara in positions of power. Jessica is the older and stronger vampire. Tara is new and weak.

Questions.

Terry should die. If this is going to a 7th season. They need to close these plots that don't matter to anyone.

Vampire camp is almost dumber than the Witches.

She has fairy powers. But honestly I kind of hope he drowns her.

The jane Austen character? No.

Eric kills Pam for going to Therapy and being a whiner for this half of the season. But mostly for letting her progeny act like she is equal to anyone and ruining the mythos of the whole freaking show.

Probably the worst episode of the season thus far.

More+
Flag
I agree that's we ALL NEED another depressed and desolated character and will spend half the season to put up with it (and suck it up?!)
Flag
I haven't been too kind to Pam this season, but I absolutely disagree with you big time on this one. You make it sound like she wanted to do therapy, when she was actually forced into it. She did say, "is this a fucking therapy session?" Of course she wouldn't do therapy at all, but she had guns pointing at her, so she couldn't really do anything about it except poke fun at the situation she was in. She clearly thought she was in control of the situation, and wasn't expecting what she said to be used against her, and I don't think it's out of character for her to feel cocky about it. I feel this was the closest we've been this season to the Pam we all love. And what does "letting her progeny act like she is equal to anyone and ruining the mythos of the whole freaking show" mean exactly? I won't argue your other criticisms of the episode since those are fair, but I got to defend Pam here. Also strongly disagree with Pam being the worst character on the show. Far, far from it.
Flag
I am saying that the old Pam would have ripped the guys throat out. Consequences be dammed. Pam was rebellious, and had that great "devil may care" attitude. She had it a little bit when she told Eric to just kill Willa. Which he likely should have done. She had it a little bit in her answers to the psychiatrist. But the sheer fact that she was there, answering his questions is not something the Pam of old would have done.

I have lamented aout Pam and Tara's relationship in the past few comments on previous episodes. Tara is a horrible character. Because she existed in the universe as a strong character before hand. They won't write her as a new vampire. When she acts the way she acts and Pam is unable to control her, as a maker should be able to. As have all makers have treated all of their progeny since the show has began. Take the contrast of Pam and Tara vs Eric and Godfri. Eric was old and powerful, physically bigger than Godfri and much more deserving of being an equal and he still deferred to him when he was around Godfri. Or even Pam and Eric. Pam deferred and cowered to Eric because that is the role. That is what the mythos or a better word would be rules stated by the show as to how that relationship goes. And with that she drags down Pam's character.

You could actually lay all of this at Tara's feet. Tara took Willa, got them out of the house onto that street getting Pam caught because she was distracted by the insolence that a new vampire should not have to their maker. Eric turns himself in to save Pam and thus we have the problem they are currently in.

For me, especially with regards to Pam it boils down to her and Tara's relationship and how it is written. And it drags Pam's character and the rest of the show down.
More +
Flag
We will agree to disagree. Even so, I'm not sure if it would been worth her life just to rip his throat out and then get shot down to true death. With the way she was answering, from her perspective, she wasn't in therapy, she was just fucking with the guy. Oh and it's Godric, not Godfri. I loved her little monologue here:

"You humans love your pain, don't you? You just love bein' in it. You even consider it a virtue. Cry the most at a funeral, you must be the best person. You promise to never forget each other. You promise to feel the sting of loss forever. Because for y'all, "forever" is just the blink of an eye. Your lives are pathetically brief. When we say "forever," we have to mean it. So we move past our pain. We heal. We move on. Because pain, is a worthless emotion."

That sounds like something she would say to any human, therapy or not.
Flag
Thanks, Sam. I always respect your opinion of these shows as well. And agree that the therapy session could have been Pam crying about Eric liking Sookie or Willa more than her. That is frightening and given the writing thus far this season, I am kind of surprised that they didn't go that way with it.
Flag
Mate, I agree with you on this Pam/Tara relationship. They had it down good last season, but the writers fucked with it to create bad drama, and that has been bad for both of them. I think the therapy session could of been much worse, it could of just been Pam crying and sobbing like she has in the past few episodes. If that was the case, I would of agreed with you. Maybe I was just so happy to see Pam be her snarky and fun self again that I have overlooked the plausibility of it. I'm not the stickler for detail guy that you are, that's why things like "it would have taken years, years to develop that kind of structure," doesn't bother me that much. Regardless, I stand by my Pam defense, but I respect your opinion. For the record, I love your ideas on how the show could be savable.
Flag
I am not saying that she would have succeeded in ripping his throat out. But I would have liked a little more rebellion.

That is a good quote and harkens back to old Pam. Hopefully by the end of the season she kills Tara.

If they kill off Tara, Terry, Sam and Alcide and the wolves or some type of combination of them. They then turn Sookie into Vampire keep Warlo and move into something else I think the show is savable.
Flag
why did they use Arabic as the native language of warlow's clan?
please anyone?
Flag
Staff
Good question. More of a biblical air? Closer to aramaic? Look, I am dumb about language history. I think they just wanted something that sounded old, and arabic has a more distinguished provenance, as the oldest language in the world?
Flag
I'm buying Sam a gift card to Victoria Secret so he can get some proper support for those boobies.
Flag
Kanniball beat me to me to my main point which is - why oh would Eric send Will a back home without training her to deal with the blood lust first. duh! what did he think would happen??

Lily beat me to my second point - surely Layfette would realise that he is likely to be possessed by the spirits he calls on (You'd think being forced to kill his boyfriend would taught him a valuable lesson) Oh well. I hope he at least remembers to get paid upfront....

I hate to nitpick (actually on this occasion I really don't I'm just being polite) but if Warlo killed Lillith the way he did. When he did, how on earth her blood end up in a glass jar centuries later?

Looks like I wasn't far off last week when I said that the Warlo would end up convincing Sookie that he was a good guy and they'd end up having hot sex....
Flag
The problem wasn't training, the problem was that Eric underestimated fatherly love based on his own love as maker: Eric counted on the Governor to respond to Willa like Godric used to respond to him, or Eric himself to Pam and Willa. He didn't.

Like Sookie's father, the Governor would rather see his progenie dead than to be turned into something different than him. Like Andy Bellefleur, Eric couldn't care less how different they are as long as Tara, Willa or Pam are part of the family.
Flag
The proble wasn't training, the problem was that Eric underestimated fatherly love based on his own love as maker: Eric counted on the Governor to respond to Willa, like Godric used to with him, or Eric himself to Pam and Willa. He doesn't.

Like Sookie's father, the Governor would rather see his progenie die than to be turned into something different than him. Like Andy Bellefleur, Eric couldn't care less as long as Tara, Willa or Pam are part of the family.
Flag
good point. It was interesting to see the different reactions parents had to their offspring, Ie Andy & Eric's unconditional vs The governor & Sookie's dad revulsion (although to be fair I think things would've gone a bit differently for willa if sarah hadn't been there....
Flag
Sookie's father winning on the lame side for now...
Flag
LOVED.IT.

I got (and still am!) so excited and anxious about the Eric/Pam-scene, don't know how to get through this week!
And you really gotta love Alexander Skarsgard - the slightly amused look on his face while checking out how the camp "works", he nailed it!

Did Mrs. Newlin try to get pregnant from Jason instead of Willa's dad?

Sam's scenes are a waste of time. Alcide's scenes, too. What's the point of their "storys"? Don't get it.

I think Lillith is ridiculous. I cannot take her seriously, sorry.

Not sure what to think about Warlow/Ben yet. Like the idea he is related/the father of Nial, though (maybe that's the reason why he didn't kill him).

Felt sympathy for Andy.

Poor Lafayette. Hope he will get out of this mess unharmed. And Sookie - well, she will be fine.

Loved Jason's plan to rescue Jessica.

Eric and Pam, OMG....

True Blood rocks again!!!
Flag
First off, welcome back Pam! I've missed you so much. Pam was the highlight of this episode hands down, and she was back to being fucking awesome. Maybe she was a little too forthcoming about things, but she was having fun with what could of been a disaster therapy session, and she felt she was in control. I said last week that I don't if I care if she dies now, but that feeling went away after this episode. I hope she survives next week, since that big death is near.

As for most everything else, it was ok. I don't what the hell Eric's plan was, but it didn't make much sense. With that aside, I enjoyed his scenes, along with Jessica, Tara, and Sarah Newlin. As for the Warlow/Bill scenes, they were hit and miss, with the miss being those cringe worthy flashbacks. It was fun seeing Lafayette have a bigger role again, but the way he took control of Sookie was very rushed and didn't make much sense either considering Sookie just stood up to a 3,000 year old vampire. Even though Sookie was drowning, I feel Lafayette is the one in real danger.

Don't give a flying fuck about the shit with Alcide, Sam, and Terry. Terry dying could be a good and bad thing. It could be good because we won't have to see his pointless scenes, but it could be bad because he's a character nobody cares about, so his death won't have an impact on us like Pam or Lafayette dying would.

One more thing, I don't what to feel about Sookie's parents wanting to kill her, but the execution of it wasn't done too well. I will say, even though I don't want it to happen, I'm glad Warlow wants to make Sookie a vampire instead of impregnating her to have a bunch faepire brats running around. I'm just so fucking sick of baby stories.
More+
Flag
Staff
This is a great comment! You should post in the True Blood community page, I really think you could write your own great stories and posts about True Blood that the users there would really love! http://www.tv.com/shows/true-blood/community - Jessica, TV.com staff
Flag
I hate this camp idea, it reminds me of what they did on Heroes and it sucked balls. Sweaty ones.
Flag
I think life of vampires is defined to be kind of claustrophobic and dark, hence it gets well represented by these unnatural environments with no windows, etc. Werewolves should be the opposite, but unfortunately they are also a lot more boring in this show...
Flag
We shouldn't even start about werewolves, the Alcide plotline is so unlike his character, what the hell is he doing? he used to be the nice guy worrying about his girlfriend, not some murderous evil pack master..
Flag
they have changed his character completely with no clear explanation (unless is related to vampire blood and I got totally lost there) - so before we could still think, thanks to Alcide, that werewolves could still be ok... now there is no way!
Flag
It could definitely be better, but it can't be as bad as that Heroes shit. Then again, I quit that show before they went there, so we'll see.
Flag
My only real complaint about Eric this episode, was his surprise the Governor put his daughter in the camp.

The girl was new-born and hungry without any training or anything, and he sent her to her father.

When he did that I had to wonder: did he really think his plan to make the Governor rethink his plan would work? Or did he assume that she would lose her sh!t and try to feed on him. All logic points to the "trying to feed" scenario so I assumed that's what he was going for.

And yet in the Thunderdome he was surprised he sent her daughter here. So... I don't think he thought his plan through.
Flag
Willa bit her father because Mr. Truman had a bloody bandage on his hand, from punching the wall at Ginger's house. Eric couldn't have seen this coming
Flag
Yeh, but I thought when Jess was first turned... within an hour or so she was telling Bill she was starving and went on about how she was going to have to eat people. And I *thought* we saw her have some impulse control in that scene.

Flag
Eric also fed her a human before sending her… but like the director explained in the YouTube inside the episode, it was a desperate move from m. Northman, no doubt
Flag
Oh, that's right. I thought he just hired someone to dig him out... and thought it was odd that with his super-strength he couldn't do it himself.

But if the guy was just a take-out meal that delivered to the cemetery then it all makes sense.
Flag
I was thinking the exact same thing! I was going to comment on it but you beat me to it - why oh why would Eric send her back to her dad with training her to deal with her blood lust or AT LEAST compelling her not to eat her dad. Idiot!
Flag
Vampire camp is definitely the best part of the season so far, most;y because all the best characters are part of that storyline, excluding the Newlins of course.
Flag
Did you notice how all the Northmans are class 1, but Steve Newlin is only class 4?
Flag
Hahaha. They didn't mention what class 4 vamps are used for, but he is a monumental tit so I'm not surprised.
Flag
backwards.
Flag
So my guess, if Warlow if on the level, he wants a race of Vampire/Faery hybrids to replace the vampires.

The mentioned last week that as a hybrid, he has both light and dark in him that he tries to balance. And has said that he wants the vampires to die.

The Vampires just have the dark and are dangerous, even the "good" ones aren't really that good. The faery, I guess just have light but other than being troublesome I don't know what his problem is. Other than perhaps they are fairly week even though they have all of that power.

So by making Sookie a hybrid, he'd be able make a PERHAPS more peaceful vampire that could wipe out the jerk-vampires, have a shot to contain their evil / cravings, and be strong enough to stand on their own.

Then the question is... do they leave the humans alone or do they just try to be a bit more peaceful in their domination.
Flag
I hate these cliffhanger endings! You can't just stop and episode when the main character is threatening to kill the dude she's making out with or being drowned by her dad! Haha. No really, the only thing that I really do hate about them, other than anticipation, is that the next episodes always have a way of diffusing that week-long build-up in about fifteen seconds flat. Like with this one, when Sookie and Warlow were just getting into a serious conversation where we figure stuff out and she was being all badass and slapping him with her light ball, Bill just walks into her house and takes him away. Cue the credits and next scene. I seriously expect 6x06 to open with Sookie being held under for about 5 seconds and then Lafayette comes back to himself and she's totally fine. Which, to be fair, is what I kinda want to happen - since I'm sick of Lafayette getting hurt by supernaturals for trying to help his friends out. I'm also sick of him being a plot device since getting his Sixth Sense on.

Andy's scenes were legitimately great this week. This whole ordeal has given both him and his only surviving daughter real character and story potential for the rest of the season, especially since it ties into both main arcs - the vampire and fae drama. And I loved that Andy saved her with his old V stash. I thought he might go to Sookie for a blood transfusion since Jason admitted she was part-fae last ep, but I'm glad she didn't have to waste more screen time with anything involving her special blood.

Pam's scene with the shrink was one of my favorites, even if it did seem a little odd for her to seemingly be the first prisoner to explain the basics of vampirism (such as what the maker relationship is and how they can release you, etc.). I guess they also didn't care at all if their human donor got killed, since she would have been had Pam not actually declined after a while. Still, Pam seemed truly back to form, with all of her issues with Eric being addressed without any of the desperation and whining that's been going on with her lately.

The ancient fairy scenes WERE hilarious, though I'm thinking more in a "you guys totally missed the bar" way than entertaining camp kind of way. The Lilith humping scene was all kinds of awful. For the first and most powerful vampire to ever walk the earth, Lilith's character really is a parody of itself. She's just weird! The pube wig, the covered-in-afterbirth, the leg-humping and back licking. Which...whatever. It's not like she's around much. I can deal. But I do wish the fairy massacre scene with little Niall had packed more of a punch. Hell, even the Vampire Diaries has done more graphic, hard-hitting flashbacks than that! Katherine finding her family dead on that show got to me 10x as more than True Blood's depiction of an entire village being murdered by one of their own and a child being the only survivor who witnessed the whole thing.

I won't even start on the Terry, Sam, or Alcide scenes, since by this week I was so fed up with them I actually skipped most of it. Fuck it. Screen-wasters. (And Alcide, you're the worst, because you don't even have "likeable" going for you any more. You're just a strutting dick on a power trip)

Just like with last episode when Warlow was revealed, I was most intrigued by him yet again. I hope we keep getting to know more about him. One thing TB has done magnificently is so quickly shatter the *caricature* of who we thought he was. Yes, he can be our Mr. Darcy - or at least I hope he becomes so - because, hell, I think I WOULD actually like to see him end up with Sookie. He's got his monster side, sure, but so do Bill and Eric. And yet Bill and Eric don't have the fae side to relate to Sookie. Unfortunately, I don't think it will end up all happily ever after, with our waitress riding off with her prince, since Warlow
's death seems inevitable if it's the only thing that can destroy Lilith (which is what I assume is going on, since Bill came rushing when he was hurt by Warlow getting light-slapped by Sookie).
More+
Flag
Staff
LOL pube wig.
Flag
Well, c'mon, that's definitely a pube wig! Haha.
Flag
Staff
Woah, this is a really fantastic comment! You could be writing your own articles about True Blood. If you haven't done so already, you should check out the True Blood community page and post your own stories there! I bet those users would love your thoughts! http://www.tv.com/shows/true-blood/community - Jessica, TV.com staff
Flag
Thank you! And here I've been waiting to get told off for clogging up the comment section with my massive ones. Haha. I will check out the community page. I really enjoy breaking down and speculating on my favorite stories.
Flag
Staff
Oh no, your comments are great so don't stop! But I do think the community page would love your thoughts, too! You could write your own stories ;)
Flag
Maybe Billith will turn the fairy kids that stayed with him into new fairy-vampires.
Flag
I'm with whatever number she was that survived the slaughter: her sisters are dead. Andy only has that 1 daughter.
Flag
That's what I thought would happen but then he just got over it in like 5 seconds and peaced out to go get his progeny
Flag
I've said this in the past and I'll say it again: the faeries in this show are just stupid. Incredibly stupid.

They supposedly know Sookie and the pure amount of crud she goes through in the town / region. Their kind have died in town thanks to vampires. That it's practically the hub of the Vampire universe... big things going on, heck even the Authority's base is a short car-ride away. And YET...

Maurella decides that the Sheriff in this freaky town should spawn and watch over her children. Firstly, like being Sheriff isn't dangerous enough in a REGULAR town. Secondly, the guy is RELATED to a Vampire and talks with him from time to time.

The Faery renegades decide to setup their invisible tent outside this crazy town. Because, THAT'S just going to work so well.

W T F
It's almost like they WANT to become extinct.

At least past episodes hung a lantern on it: I'm your fairy godmother, your guardian. Umm, GREAT job so far. Sorry but you require a LOT more attention than your average person.
Flag
Loved this episode. I'm glad the show is getting back on track.
Flag
I almost gave up on "True Blood," and then this season happened. Once again, I find myself shrieking at the television in delight and horror. The amount of fan service by the writers is just incredible. It's like they pulled a Sookie on my brain and rekindled all the things I love about the show.
Flag
I think I enjoyed this episode the most so far this season but there were some problems!

I don't like the Vampire Camp. It's super unoriginal, and just lame! They copied "Heroes" (that season where the government was hunting down people with abilities), and "The Hunger Games" (having Pam and Eric fight).....

With that said, I still like Sookie, and I wish her storyline was in the main center of everything that's going on. I don't like the fact that she's been separated from the rest of the cast. Everything just feels disconnected. <

Finally, where is the mystery? Season 1/2 were best in my opinion, because of the great mysteries Sookie had to solve. I wish they kept that part of the books within the show.

SideNote: I realize Tara hates Sookie now, but isn't it time that the writers mend their relationship? Tara's supposed to be Sookie's best friend! And they haven't had a conversation for over 20 episodes now?
Flag
From one of Tara's monologues with Pam, it sounds like she just doesn't care about Sookie anymore... or any of her old human-ish friends. That she doesn't hate Sookie for what she did anymore, she just didn't care about her anymore.

She's just done with all of that noise.

I don't blame her... first of all as we learn from Pam, vamps don't really see humans as anything anymore so it's probably hard-wired. Add to that, being her friend was the cause of some MAJOR pains and issues (slave to a crazy vamp) and ultimately led to her death. And her death wasn't even some freak Vamp-buffet, it was a jilted lover coming to seek revenge for losing her husband. The werewolf might as well have been some mortal hillbilly white trash skank.

Add to that that she turned Tara against her will into the thing she despiseD the most... thus ignoring her feelings / wishes for the selfish act of having her friend back...

Being Sookie's friend must be the most tiring, dangerous, and worthless thing in the world. So, I don't mind if Tara just avoids her.
Flag
Staff
I could see Tara completely losing patience with Sookie. Or any of the characters, really. And its built into their relationship from previous seasons that they have long squabbles and then make up as soon as they need to. Also, the time elapsed is so much shorter in the narrative than it feels- as Terry mentioned, he killed his Ifrit pal a WEEK ago...so Tara and Sookie haven't talked for like what, two days? It just FEELS like weeks and weeks...but yeah, when Lafayette was dragging her into the water "good riddance" was the first thing that popped into my mind. I love Anna Paquin but sometimes the character Sookie is a lot more trouble than fun.
Flag
Bwahahaha! You are EVIL! < XD

Anna Paquin brought a lot of innocence and genuine fear in that scene! I think that she was amazing!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members