We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A True Blood Community
HBO (ended 2014)

True Blood S07E03: "Fire in the Hole"

We are gathered today with heavy hearts, friends. We come together now to grieve, to mourn, and to support each other in the face of an unthinkable loss.

Alcide, man. Even if those abs had not been attached to one of the most talented actors and compelling characters on the show, the loss of those abs alone would've destroyed me. 

It’s almost unbearable to know that Alcide is gone from the series while Sookie is still there, shrieking. I know she’s the main character, blah blah blah. Enough. She burned through the last of my goodwill with her literal thirst for Bill on her way to complete the stupidest plan on Earth. Leave it to Sookie to get proactive by sitting out in the middle of the forest, confident that all the bad vampires would follow their noses to her cotton candy blood. From there I guess she thought she’d be taken to the basement of Fangtasia and... what? Fairy-blast everyone free? Y’all.

Sookie suffers from Main Girl-itis, a condition that has also afflicted Bella Swan and The Vampire Diaries' Elena and even, at times, Katniss. To drive conflict between the more exciting characters, our axis main character has to be depicted as both A) compelling enough to be rescued, and B) stupid or stubborn enough to continually put herself into perilous situations.

In real life, B would cancel out A pretty damn quick, but this is fiction, and the main character must drive the plot, and so she remains dumb as hell and no one even cares, and we just despise the shit out of her for refusing to learn from her mistakes. The plot demands that she never learn from her mistakes. I know this, and yet Sookie’s mistakes are just so aggressively dumb that they make me personally furious. Her sitting there mooning up at Bill’s pale ass 200 feet up a tree, fishing for compliments in the cadence of a 10-year-old and cutting herself with a dirty old stick, it honestly pushed me over the edge. 

You were on my last nerve, Sookie, and then you rolled it in Hep-V blood, threw it in the river, and shot it in the forehead. You cost us Alcide. His abs, his butt, his eyes. There’s nothing you can do to come back from that.

Still, "Fire in the Hole" itself was amazing, I mean, look what the writers did with Sarah Newlin! If there is one thing in this world more annoying than a born again right-wing nutjob, it’s a born again new age prestige yoga enthusiast. 

Sarah Newlin’s new life alongside her yogi was sort of hilarious and felt weirdly true to character, and I loved that the only thing in this world that could rouse Eric out of his nihilist funk was the prospect of putting her down.

The 80s France flashbacks were cute, sure, I don’t know who this Sylvie person was but bitch did NOT know how to eat a grape.

There was also the super naturalistic scene of Lafayette and Luke getting high and sort of crushing out on each other. These sorts of relatable, real-life scenes scattered in with the insanity are what has always made True Blood so special. The contrast of Lafayette and James chilling on the couch while, half a mile away, a vampire is tearing the stomach out of Mrs. Fortenberry—there’s a tension there that I will always find gripping. Just like in real life, disaster and cheerful obliviousness travel blindly side by side.

P.S., did you hear that the original actor who played James, Luke Grimes, reportedly left the series because he didn’t want to do romantic scenes with Lafayette? What an F-ing bonehead. Casting agents, please add him to your “DO NOT HIRE” lists immediately. 

And yes, Mrs. Fortenberry’s death was a disaster! I know we all hate her on principle but WHO is going to read me the pulse of Plus Size Walmart Fashion now? Mrs. Fortenberry has been cracking me up with her costuming and overall demeanor for seven seasons. I will miss her character acting greatly. 

Also, Sam announced to the town that he belonged in Bon Temps, took off his clothes, and then transformed into a hootie owl. Then later he and my darling Alcide had a bare chest off in the forest.

Alcide won. Like he always has and always... can't say will. No, can't say will. Because of someone's extremely stupid, farfetched plan to get kidnapped by starving Hep-V vamps. And not only Alcide die trying to save Sookie from her own half-baked battle strategy, but she had emotionally betrayed him just moments before, COMPLAINING that he loved her more than she loved him! And then she refused to turn him because she'd "Been down that road?" Girl, bye. You are the worst. You had heaven in both hands and you threw it over your shoulder.

Alcide, how can I tell you how out of Sookie's league you were? You were doomed to be taken out by her Main Girl-itis, when all along you were a main man. Goodnight, sweet hunky moonlit wolf monster.

QUESTIONS:

... Can you ever recover from the way Alcide died? How will you get your weekly suffusion of Joe Manganiello now?

... Pam felt Tara’s true death: So Tara’s really gone, or is she coming back as a snake-charming parseltongue-speaking spectre?

... How long has Sookie been on your last nerve? Is there any way she could redeem herself?

... Does the idea of Sookie and Bill as endgame make you almost queasy with boredom?

... WHAT’S NEXT 4 ERIC?!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/24/2014

Season 7 : Episode 10

307 Comments
Comments (307)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I've never cared for Alcide. He's just always been. . . blah. Good riddance. On the other hand, I'm bummed about Tara.
Flag
I liked Alcide but lets be real, he never did much for the show (not fault of the actor). I just don't think they ever knew where to go with the character. I suspect a lot of his fans only were becasue of his looks/body and if he was overweight and not that attractive he wouldn't have such a fan base.

At first I was annoyed how they handled the death but on reflection it makes sense. The show deals with the subject of death a lot and death can come to anyone at anytime no matter how well you are liked and loved and not everyone gets a swan song.
Flag
-I always hated Alcide, I don't care about his abs, or his eyes or whatever. I don't have that thing most of women have that made them swoon for him, I just don't and I'm glad he's gone for good.
- I think is kind od a shame Tara is dead, I started liking her more when she was turned, but I guess there was no point on having her around anymore. I don't know.
-No, I think no matter what Sookie might do, I'll never get over how stupid she could have been.
-Yes, Bill and Sookie are extremely boring, but after the S4 finale when she rejected Eric, I knew she and Bill were end game. So I'm kind of ok with it.
- I'm just glad Eric is around. Don't ever leave again.
Flag
How can you tell if a show is really bad? When you start rooting for bad guys, even though you know they'll lose in the end.

That was me for past few season. Marnie? Hell yeah, burn those vamps for what they did and are doing to your people. Concentration camps? Helly yeah, but don't jsut put them there, start killing them as soon as you can.

In this season I'm actually rooting for town vigilantes. Mostly because they are actually doing something when police and mayor are doing jack shit. And because they aren't kissing vampire asses as everybody else (except Andy) is doing. Of course they'll lose in the end but I'll keep rooting for them and hoping they'll manage to kill off as many annoying characters as possible along the way. Which at this point is pretty much every character.
Flag
The vigilantes are dead, so your hopes are crushed. It is kind of funny how you were rooting for the vigilantes, who are quite possibly the most annoying fucking characters this show has ever had. So you wanted to have the most annoying characters kill off less annoying characters. I don't think anybody has rooted for the bad guys these last few seasons because they suck even worse than a lot of the characters on the show. I wouldn't even keep watching if I hated every character.
Flag
Between Tara, Pam and lately Sookie they are far from most annyoing. characters.
Flag
Pam has her haters (a few of them), but I don't think you could find one person that would agree she is more annoying than those late vigilantes, and they certainly wouldn't root for them over her. Sookie...maybe. Tara is dead, so that doesn't count.

But if you hate Pam that much, there is still the yakuza you can cheer for.
Flag
If you hate all the vampires and other supes on this show, then yeah, why not.
Flag
The thing with these vigilantes (and previous villains) is that they actually have a good point to act the way they do. But the way show develops their plot is that this point is always covered by the fact that they are idiots, bigots and whatnot.

It would be interesting to show that there are people with grievances against vampires that are based on vampires being killers. But instead anybody who doesn't go around kissing their asses will always be a bigot, homophobe and generally a bad person.

So while I know these groups will lose in the end (hey, vapires are heroes, remember?) I'll still root for them. And hope they take out couple of annoying characters along the way.
Flag
So a werewolf could be turned?
Flag
If an actor is uncomfortable with playing gay/bi characters or being around gay people they are a) rubbish at their job and b) In the wrong-ass profession. Seriously. Nelsan Ellis isn't gay, and is smashing it as Lafayette because he's a great actor.

On the other topic, yes, Sookie is annoying as hell. It is unfortunate, as it is the writing not the actress, but seriously - why Alcide, why???! You were too good for her fairy-vamp tramp ways anyhow...

Still love Lafayette most! Also pretty glad Tara is gawn... hope she stays dead, cos with this show you never know and they did kind of skip over it. Did th actress have another commitment, as it looked like maybe she couldn't be there to film it properly? Do love her crazy momma though, fabulous actress. And the rev actually.

True Blood suffers from the fact they created secondary & minor characters who are so much more interesting than the leads. Bound to happen this many seasons in I suppose, but I do wish they could make Sookie less annoying.

Flag
i was so beyond pissed off when Sookie said she'd "been down that road" like wTEVERLOVINGF SOOKIE ARE U AN IDIOT TARA HAD A GOOD VAMPIRE TIME TILL SHE GOT KILLED AND THAT WAS NOT BECAUSE OF THE VAMPIRE THING ANYWAY. but like could you imagien if he'd been turned? omg that would've been so awesome and new and exiting and I just idk. Fuck Sookie.
Flag
The many comments by people saying Lily was hard on this actor is perfect proof that homophobia is going as strong as ever. Nobody can outright be "gays should die" anymore, but this backhanded understanding of being "uncomfortable" with gay material is pretty close to being the same thing cause its the same attitude just disguised better. Thanks for being you Lily!
Of course its also sexism cause if Kristen had refused to play her part people in the comments here would have gone "COME ON WHY NOT!? ITS HOT! 2 GIRLS TOGETHER IS BEAUTIFUL AND SEXY". Blablabla
Flag
So sorry to see Alcide been killed off, specially because of the eye candy factor. I think the writers are most definitely setting up a "Bill and Sookie get together finale", which will be boring as hell.

Glad to see Eric back, though. I missed him.
Flag
The deaths in this season were so badly done that I feel like I didn't care at all. I think Alcide's death was like the writers cry for the audience's sympathy. But Alcide's character REALLY doesn't have a role in the plot if you look closely. He's just there standing shirtless and running around naked--pretty much just an eye candy. Even his love story with Sookie is as shallow as Tara dying instantly. So his death doesn't really mean anything, unless you're just watching TB for his solid rock body then its really a bummer.
Flag
I believe that his death, would have had more impact, if it had been in an early season. But the writers, are trying to go out with a bang, in this last season, by going all Game of Thrones/ The Walking Dead style. But the shock tactics aren't working.
Flag
Although he was better as a character last year, Alcide should have died at the beginning of last season. He was awful in Season 5. Then again, that whole season was piss!
Flag
Man, somebody please eat my brain so i can continue to watch True Blood
Flag
"P.S., did you hear that the original actor who played James, Luke Grimes, reportedly left the series because he didn’t want to do romantic scenes with Lafayette? What an F-ing bonehead. Casting agents, please add him to your “DO NOT HIRE” lists immediately."

Seriously? If a gay actor, didn't want to sex scenes with someone of the opposite sex, would you feel the same? Or does that only count, for a straight actor, not want to do same sex scenes? People are who they are, straight, gay, bi.

"We come together now to grieve, to mourn, and to support each other in the face of an unthinkable loss."

I liked Alcide, but i wouldn't called it an unthinkable loss. Now if it were Jessica, that would be unthinkable. Her eyes, butt, fangs, and *^*$%, would be a serious loss. I'd immediately drop the show. :( And yes, i hate Sookie. Not for this episode, just for her being Sookie.
Flag
"Seriously? If a gay actor, didn't want to sex scenes with someone of the opposite sex, would you feel the same? Or does that only count, for a straight actor, not want to do same sex scenes? People are who they are, straight, gay, bi."

Seriously? With your reasoning, True Blood actors should be vampires and werewolfs in their daily lives?
It;'s called acting: it's pretending to be someone else..
Flag
So if a lesbian, didn't want to do a sex scene with a man, they should never be hired as an actor again?
Flag
Of a lesbian didnt want to do a scene with a man she WOULD never be hired again. Fact. Regardless of what we thought. Cause thats the world we live in. As a lady actor, getting it on with men is what you make your living out of, but as a male actor declining a role cause there's yukkie gay stuff is perfectly acceptable.
Flag
Well, that would be wrong too! But i can't remember, ever seeing any gay character, ever being switched to a straight character, in anything i've watched. That doesn't include bi sexual characters, there's more freedom in writing them. Remember, this actor was originally cast, as a love interest for Jessica.

If an actor/ actress takes a role of a character, that seems to have a particular sexual preference, then it's changed afterwards, i would understand their reluctance. If they are replaced by an actor/ actress, willing to do those scenes, that's understandable as well. It's a business.

Where i draw the line, is blacklisting them. No should be forced to choose between losing their profession, and doing something with their bodies, they are uncomfortable with. That's seems like a form of sexual exploitation to me.

And finally if Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) was fired, and then blacklisted, for refusing to do a opposite sex scene, some people here calling for the other actor's (i forgot his name) blacklisting, would be marching on the studio, calling them bigots, and demanding those responsible be fired.
Flag
So what he left the show because he didn't want to play gay character? I support gay rights but that doesn't mean I want to play one.... I would love to see someone make you do the stuff you don't want to... Will you feel the same about this after that?
Flag
I always thought actors acted like they were vampires, gays, werewolfs etc.

I guess I never knew they were playing themselves all along.
Flag
There's a huge difference between playing a fictional vampire/werewolf and getting it on with a man if you're not even remotely gay.
Flag
It is exactly the same thing. Exactly. Its called acting for a reason. And if its the gay factor, get your homophobic ass outta Hollywood.
Flag
If you have car and your friends don't, that doesn't mean you should always drive them.... Actors or not, we all have our limits....
Flag
I understand what you are saying. I'd imagine, most people would have trouble doing sex scenes, with people outside their preference.
Flag
Exactly.... That doesn't mean he should never work again...
Thank you....
Flag
I still find Sookie more interesting than Alcide ever was. He had little going beyond his abs if one's not enamored with the actor (as some people apparently are:)).
But the whole trip down the memory lane with Bill only reminded me of how Bill never ever lived up to the romantic hero role he was initially cast in so please don't repeat it.
This episode was far from perfect but way better than the last one.
Flag
Im a gay man and i have to say; im not at all offended by this, its his choice to do what he chooses with his body, and its true blood, so you know it would involve sex scenes, as for him not willing to be interested in Lafayette, thats just small mindedness
Flag
The whole controversy with Luke Grimes is pretty much akin to adolescents being afraid to do kissing scenes in a play because "ew, cooties!" If an adult actor leaves a project because they're uncomfortable with portraying a same-sex relationship for one season, it's gonna reflect poorly on their professional and personal image. Some of the heat he has gotten is harsh but it's 2014 and this really shouldn't be an issue any more, especially if you're working in Hollywood. I hope he does some self-evaluation because ironically this will hurt his career more than if he'd simply continued the role. Actors have limits that should be respected, of course, but if this is one of your limits then you're not much of an actor, are you? Last week Alexander Skaarsgard and Ryan Kwanten demonstrated how real actors do it, so kudos to them!
Flag
Yeah, if you have a role in True Blood, you should be very open-minded.
Flag
Well, maybe he left because James' storyline is lame this season, and he got the wind of it and thus scoot instead of wasting a year of his career, especially because he got other prospects.
Flag
Jason: "Well I hate to break it to you Violet, but I'm a modern man. I think and I feel. And I am still a badass fothermucker of a warrior!"

True Blood... always with the humor now and then.
Andy said that his daughter won't listen to him but Wade better! lol
The look on Jason and Andy's face when Maxine's heart was ripped out was priceless.

Eric's back in business.

I guess that's one way to kill an alpha. R.I.P. Alcide.
Flag
I was through with this dumb ass show when they killed Tara off in the first five minutes of the first episode. To me, that set the tone for the rest of the season and I knew then, it was going to be a pile of shit. Hack ass writers with no sense of what the viewers really want. it's like the wrote some lame plot ideas on a few post-it notes, tossed them up in the air and wherever they landed on the floor, that's how they formed their plotline for the season. Why don't they do something complete warranted and unexpected and kill off Sookie. No one would see it coming and it would be a joy to see that dumb bitch die. Her character and the actress is just phoning it in at this point. I mean, she didn't even care about the dead body she tripped over until it became convenient to care about it.

As a matter of fact, the only scenes that were good was Eric and Jason's dream and Arlean trying to save them in the basement... oh and everything Jessica does. Other than that... F this show. I can't believe I waited in anticipation for this crap.
More+
Flag
No Hoyt: don't come back for your mother's funeral!

You're too precious to die in this town.
Flag
I am so glad I stopped watching this show; I never saw last season. I just restarted the book series for the 4th time and still LOVE Sookie. I have never really liked Alcide because he never treats Sook with respect and tricks her into helping him a lot. Plus his character and the wolf thing was never very interesting for me. It just shows how different things can get when it's an adaptation. After reading this, it sounds like the opposite of everything that happens in the series.
Flag
Nah, Alcide is still boring.
Flag
I never liked Alcide. He should have been a 1-season character.

Sookie isn't a good character either, but like it or not, she's the main character (since that was clearly established in seasons 1-2), and if the main character is behaving in stupid ways, I tend to hate the writers, not the character.
Flag
Her character is so irrelevant to the storyline that she could just take a vacation until the end of the show
Flag
Now that miss Fortenberry is dead will Hoyt come back for the funeral? I want some Hoyt this last season. He was my favorite...
Flag
Maybe his great great photog grand-dad will rise from the grave and say some words as to how mean seeming is family got. He even gave human Bill an extra photo session! That film was expensive to come by!
Flag
Alcide... :'( I'm definitely going to miss Joe Manganiello but I have to agree with everyone who said that the character was going nowhere. He and Sookie were totally mismatched. There was not a single spark between those two. I wish they'd given Alcide a more heroic death though. The writers/producers went for shock value rather than giving him an awesome exit. Boo!

The Rev is a totally decent guy. Lettie Mae SO does NOT deserve him. When he was talking about seeing a beautiful woman on the steps of the church I was like, "He ain't talkin' about Lettie Mae, that's for damn sure." But he was. Ugh.

James and Lafayette, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Definitely "groovin'" on those two. I'm sorry if Jess will get heartbroken but Lafayette deserves something good for once.

It's funny but it's almost like even Bill is getting tired of Sookie's main girl-itis. I felt like he was patronizing her the whole time.

As a whole, this episode was a bit of a mess. I didn't love it as much as last week's episode. I kind of hated that the main plot was all about looking for Sookie. Next episode, somebody please give her a new freaking phone!
More+
Flag
I feel like Alcide's death derailed your ability to really talk about the episode :P , but fair enough.

Also, Sookie's plan technically DID work, the hep-v vamps showed up (and some stupid militia humans too) and got slaughtered, and now they saved Holly AND know where to find the prisoners. Good plan, dumb execution though (Bill was easily spotted up in the tree, for one..).

Also if a regular normal vampire cannot control themselves around Sookie, it's unfeasible to feel like she'd survive long enough to even be saved (and, uh, she'd contract Hep-v from the whole thing, but I guess shouldn't mind that terribly given it means vampires will be allergic to her).

P.S. Yakuza probably vampire gold tooth dude and his gang of sword goons from the 80's to today, is kinda awesome.
Flag
It was a stupid plan. As stupid as a human mob running around at night. Come on! Why would you try and hunt vampires in the middle of the night?
Flag
The Luke Grimes thing isn't such an easy situation. Honestly we don't know enough. Maybe it was racism, homophobia, or perhaps just fear for his career and/or simple stage-fright..

The guy's acting portfolio is still... light. Any job he picks now, he has to think about how it will affect his career choices in the future. Maybe he was afraid too much of how the bible belt would react to him getting nekid on screen with a gay character of color. He might FEEL that such a thing might hurt him in the long-run.

Then there's stage fright. I don't care how big of a crush I have on Jessica or Violet... I could not get myself to have fake s*x on-screen with them. But if I contractually had to, my attraction to them might help me do it... but even then I might chicken out. Change that to just an average attractive girl then my onscreen fear would win. Change it to a dude and my fear would DEFINITELY win and I could not proceed. But I'm not an actor.

But again, who knows what his deal was.
Flag
P.S., did you hear that the original actor who played James, Luke Grimes, reportedly left the series because he didn’t want to do romantic scenes with Lafayette? What an F-ing bonehead. Casting agents, please add him to your “DO NOT HIRE” lists immediately.

Yes, I heard. I heard that he left because he didn't like what they had planned for the character, and when I saw the first episode I could easily guess the rest, even before the papers started reporting it. I have no problem with what he did, but I have a big problem with your reaction to it. It's pretty disgusting to suggest that any man who isn't OK with making out with LaFayette should be punished to the point of having his career destroyed.

It's not the first time you've said things like this. It makes me wonder if you just hate all straight men.
Flag
Staff
1) if you think casting agents make decisions based on my recaps, allow me to relieve you of that notion.
2) an actor leaving a show because he doesn't like what the writers have planned for his character is generally considered unprofessional, period. Especially if (as it appears) the objection is based in a discriminatory impulse and not an overall objection.
3) I don't hate straight guys.
Flag
I am a professional actor, and I have to say I agree. If you take on a role in a long-running TV show - as opposed to a play or film that is (largely) written when you begin rehearsals and won't fundamentally change - then you accept that your character will develop. If you jump ship because it develops in a way that you find uncomfortable for professional reasons - for example if you have said no to a nudity clause ad suddenly they introduce nudity - then by all means you can leave because it has breached your initial contract. He clearly did not stipulate that his (in my mind bigoted) views or beliefs mean he would not be willing to do same sex romance/sex scenes, and therefore I would expect him to struggle professionally having left this high profile show in this manner.

When I do romantic scenes they are often with people you are not attracted to, or vice versa, but it is part of the job you have taken on and the profession you work in. He should seriously rethink the career he has chosen, particularly if he is homophobic as he is going to continue to feel great discomfort during his future endeavors if he can't work with or for gay people. I agree 100% that it is unprofessional and I personally wouldn't want to work with someone with that sort of attitude.
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Flag
It is point 2) mainly. It will hurt his career in the long run. It would be the same as saying, I don't want my character to be a murderer, so I'm gonna leave the show. You don't want to have the image of an unflexiable, unreliable actor. But I think, maybe the show could have given him their plans for the future, like, there will be naked scenes, there may be homosexuality, and so on. Like right at the moment of the casting.
Flag
Conveniently removing Alcide from the picture just to make room for Bill and Sookie: not surprising. Especially when it came right after she deeply pondered her true feelings.
On the plus side, I somewhat appreciated the scenes between Bill and Sook, and I didn't expect to.

Looks like Lafayette is going to steal Jessica's boyfriend. And they do have some good chemistry going. I thought that the actor playing James was looking different, but wasn't sure of the recasting until now. Seems like a right fit.

Mrs. Fortenberry was hilariously annoying, which is better than the plain annoying from the majority of Bon Temps residents. Still, not gonna miss her.
I'm actually surprised by how much I liked the Reverend (probably just as much as I hate Lettie Mae). He had good scenes with both Willa and Sam.

Eric's great French love that turned out not to be so great in the end felt like a redundant plot point, but I guess it attempted to explain his motivations in a roundabout kind of way? And foreshadow the showdown with the Big Bad Corporation. At least he got up from his dying ass in search of revenge on Sarah Newlin... who unsurprisingly found herself in another amusing situation.

The initial episodes left me with lukewarm feelings at best, but this was - aside from a few flaws - actually enjoyable. Perhaps there is hope for this season.
More+
Flag
I rarely agree with every point a poster makes, but I agree with yours.
Flag
After reading your review I was bummed about Mrs. Fortenberry until I was watching Under The Dome last night and she popped up. She might even be playing a similar type of character so don't get too upset Lily.
Flag
This was a great episode. Best in ages. I fucking hated Alcide's one dimensional reluctant werewolf BS. Yeah he's beautiful to look at - so buy the DVDs and press pause, this last ep gave you plenty of "Alcide in trackies".
Awesome sequence when he died, with the exploding vamps and all.
Great to hear Tara is dead for real, been waiting a while for that.

And yes I hate Sookie. And Bill.

I watch this show for Eric, Jessica, Jason, Andy, Pam, Lafayette and Willa... Doesn't everyone???
Flag
I'm sorry, I know your post must have a point but all I can focus on is that haters killed Alcide

...and hate killed Mrs. Fortenberry (Sorry Hoyt, but she drew first gun and she has no one to blame but herself)
Flag
buh?
Flag
Pam,Pam,Pam,Lafayette,Lafayette,and Jessica....in that order.
Flag
ALCIDE!!! I HATE SOOKIE! Personally, I've hated her since episode 1 and now her dumb ass went and got my boo killed. DAMN HER TO HELL!

Btw, I dont think it's terrible that Luke Grimes didnt want to do love scenes with Layfayette. There's no need to make it personal, he didnt want to do gay love scenes, which is fair. I mean, are you saying he should be forced to kiss a man if he doesn't want to? Would you kiss a woman if you didnt want to? Should anybody be forced to kiss someone if they don't want to? NO. And just cause he's an actor doesn't change that. If a regular everyday straight average joe said "I dont wanna kiss dudes" no one would they twice about it. They'd say "yea well, he's straight so that makes sense." But if an actor says it then all of a sudden its wrong. It is quite normal for a straight person to not want to kiss a member of the same sex, thats why they're straight! Just like it is quite normal for a gay person to not wanna kiss a member of the same sex, thats why they're gay! Am i wrong? Is that not normal? Every actor has their preference for character roles, that's not new. If he's a straight man, I can understand not wanting to do gay scenes. There are plenty of actors who have no sex scenes clauses in their contracts, why is that okay but then if an actor doesn't want to do a gay scene that makes him homophobic? If an actor doesn't want to do nude scenes or sex scenes are they judged and labeled as prudes? No. So why is he labeled a homophobe? I know that there are plenty of straight actors who have done gay scenes and that's fine, more power to them, but just because some actors were able to put their sexual preference aside and do a gay scene doesn't mean that every actor can or should be required to. Some actors are ok with sex scenes and some arent, some are ok with gay scenes and some aren't and thats ok. If an actor says "I dont wanna do nudes" or "I don't wanna do sex scenes" or "I don't wanna do gay scenes" there is nothing wrong with that, just cuz they're actors doesn't mean they should be expected to do something they would not otherwise be expected or that your regular everyday average person wouldn't be expected to do.
More+
Flag
If an actor has those issues they stipulate them when their contract is drawn up. No nudity is a very popular clause. You don't sign a contract, say nothing, then complain. It is unprofessional, and will damage you professionally. The possibility of his holding bigoted views is a separate point, though also valid in my opinion. I wouldn't want to work with a bigot, and if there are gay actors on the show they shouldn't have to work with someone whose opinions are discriminatory towards them. What if he'd refused to do a scene with Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) because he is black? Would that be ok if it went against his principles? No. It would be discrimination.
Flag
Flag
Flag
Staff
Well it may just be the kind of thing where two different people have two different opinions. It is quite normal for a straight person to not want to kiss someone of the same sex, the same way it's quite normal for a straight woman not to want to kiss Seth Rogen, and yet and still how many movies have I seen where Seth Rogen gets kissed? Actors in love scenes aren't connecting to the authentic truth of who they are as human beings when they make out with fellow actors, they're playing a part. And if they refuse to play a part as written, then it's understandable if they're released from that contract.
It's also a red flag for future casting agents that this guy will make a fuss and try and get a script rewritten so it suits his personal preferences of who exactly he will and will not make out with.
Again, I have got nothing against actors who don't want to be sexual or nude on camera, that's totally fine. It's when they discriminate based on sex or race that their motives start seeming very suspect.
Flag
I can partially agree with that. If he doesnt wanna do it then he should just be released from the contract but he definitely shouldn't make a fuss and try to get the script rewritten. They wrote it a certain way for a reason and asking for them to change it is a bit much.
On the other hand, I dont think its discrimination not to not want to kiss the same sex. Im straight and I have no interest in kissing women and if I were an actor it would be ridiculous for someone to say to me "oh, you dont want to kiss women? Thats ddiscrimination." No thats me being straight, I mean there is a reason I'm straight. Race on the other hand, if as an actor I were to say "I dont kiss white boys" then yea, that'd be discrimination. Me saying I dont wanna kiss a women, that for me is different.
Flag
I have to side with Lily here. When someone makes a blanket statement saying, "I will kiss men but not women" (or vice versa) that is, by definition, a form of discrimination, in this case gender discrimination. I know that Grimes never made such a statement, and that there's been some fuzziness on what the "actual" reason for his backing out was, but if that is the case, there's a form of discrimination there.

I think what really riles some people up about this is that actors--including Grimes--are asked to do ridiculous things that are counter to who they are all the time. Plenty of people are asked to act racist, sexist, violent, criminal, etc., all the time, things that aren't in any way in line with their real personalities. Why should portraying a sexuality not in-line with who they are be any different? As Lily said, it's pretty obvious that, when people do a sex scene or simply a scene of minor intimacy--a kiss, hand-holding, whatever--it's entirely manufactured; a good actor shouldn't really care who they're kissing--it's all an act, anyway (except in cases such as Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer when they're in a relationship in the real world). While maybe it'd be a bit unfair to necessarily blackball someone for being unwilling to do a gay scene, the fact that an actor won't fully commit to his or her character's arc should certainly be a red flag that casting agents should know about.
More +
Flag
mmm... maybe I am lost but... I understood that our heros don't really know that the bad guys are holding their loved ones prisoners in Fantasia... right? Cause if they knew, they would have gone there already instead of looking for them all over? So... wasn't Sookie's plan to be captured with Bill's blood in her system and then be found by Bill and rescued with the others? As a sort of GPS? While reading the review it looked like this wasn't the case, so I thought maybe I didn't get the whole thing.
Flag
Yes, they didn't know where their beloved ones were - although, if you ask me, Fangtasia would be one of the first places I would look around.
Flag
I wouldn't call them bad guys exactly...I mean, these are V-infected vampires and V only comes from True Blood, therefore these V-infected vampires must have been the kind of friendly neighbors that wanted to blend in, but weren't warned by their government or the actually "bad" vampires about what was in their only source of food.

Hence why they are all teachers. blue collars and regular people.
Flag
so I'm right, then - they don't know that they are holding their friends hostage at the bar and that's where Sookie's plan makes sense :)
Flag
The thing with the stupid Hep-V plan was: "bad" dangerous vampires only drink from people. So really, all the haters accomplished with the infected True Blood was to kill all the vampires that didn't drink from actual people, and to force those who survived to kill people to remain alive.

The thing with Sookie's plan was that she assumed that, because most people in her town are humans, they are worth saving. So really, all she accomplished was to buy more time for the haters shooting Sam and Alcide to kill them before getting themselves killed.
Flag
Good grief has anyone in this town ever told Alcide that he is far too good looking for Sookie? Someone should have given him a mirror, he might have survived.
Flag
I know that I'm going to get shit for this and its a shame that Joe Manganiello and especially his biceps have gone but as a character I thought Alcide was utterly boring. Possibly my least favourite character , sorry.

I did notice the actor change but this aussie is equally as yummy and his scenes with Lafayette are so adorable it was a nice juxtaposition to the rest of the stuff going down last night in Bon Temp. Luke whatsaname not a loss his leaving for *eye roll* 50 shades of grey, Nathan's a better choice for James anyway.

Sookie and her silly schemes are always annoying but she won't be dying ever, so we'll have to deal.

More Eric purrlease and especially the quick and hopefully very painful death of Sarah Newlin.
Flag
"P.S., did you hear that the original actor who played James, Luke Grimes, reportedly left the series because he didn't want to do romantic scenes with Lafayette? What an F-ing bonehead. Casting agents, please add him to your “DO NOT HIRE” lists immediately." I hope this isn't honest, because I can understand an actor being uncomfortable with something like that, you don't have to be intolerant or homophobic or what have you to not be comfortable with kissing and having sex scenes with another guy, if that is indeed what "romantic scenes" is supposed to mean (which I assume is the case), if it's just what we've seen so far with them kind of flirting then that is an overraction.
Flag
So there are going to be romantic scenes with Lafayette?

I know your post must have a different point, but all I can think of right now is: poor Jessica...
Flag
I... didn't even notice the recasting of James... (great recasting I guess!)
Flag
Ahh Lily, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in you. I know you were blinded by your grief over Alcide, but not even one pic of Eric's 80's hair. And Pam, mon dieu, her Malibu Barbie curls and Krystal Carrington outfits were perfection!!
Flag
Pam: THAT HAIR! Eric: yighh, that hair..
Flag
In Lily's mind the show is about abs, Eric and other hot stuff.
Flag
It's ridiculous, I mean the show and I'm still watching it. WTF!?
Flag
I've always hated Sookie and I'm so glad there are others that have joined me now!! Yay!! And main girl'itis is so true. I like that, I can't stand Elena on Vampire diaries and etc. The whole episode was blah, like yeah, last season, so whatever, kind of like back in high school when it was like three days left of school, you ain't care.
Flag
And actually Bill and Sookie, I wouldn't mind. That was the only couple I was okay with out of all her pairings
Flag
I'm queasy with boredom about pretty much everything except James and Lafayette. "The Originals" writers better do justice to Nathan Parsons this fall, because Nathan Parsons &3.
Flag
Well I'll get flamed for this but I actually thought Sookie's plan wasn't too horrible. If she took Bill's blood, He could find her.She knows that they aren't just eating people right then and there, they are taking them to their hideout and feeding in rations to survive, so she would act like a tracking device and Bill could 'round up the troops and storm the castle. She knows she makes tempting bait because of the way vampires smell her, and she feels obligated because, being able to read minds, she knows that the whole damn town blames her in either a small or large way for the shit-storm that's going down, and she feels this plan will give her redemption. She goes to Bill because she knows he owes her and no one else would let her do it. It really isn't a horrible plan. Alcide was a major character but a relatively NEW major character, not appearing in the first few seasons, and I honestly didn't see him lasting that long, or him and Sookie hooking up in the first place (not long term at least). I loved that they are following further with Sarah Newlin, shes just a woman you love to hate, and a great actress. I love seeing Jason and Violet alongside Jessica, especially Violets downright hatred of her, but working together for a common goal. The death of good 'ol Ms. Fortenburry was fine by me, I burst out laughing mostly because it fucking amazes me that she survived in that world so damn long being as useless and negative as she is (although actress wise she was wonderful, I am glad she was around that long but its the last season). So... sick of Sookie? I dunno, Love in a world that fuckin' crazy has to be on some other strange-ass level and is hard to even begin to relate to. Anna has done a fine job. The first season was an obvious favorite but aside from that I actually love the setup and direction this season is going so far.
More+
Flag
I think the reason why a lot of people (including the TV.com reviewer) thought it was such a dumb plan was because they didn't really understand her whole plan. Sookie didn't spell it out so it's easy to misunderstand, I guess. It really wasn't a bad plan... well, except for the part where she just sits in some random clearing in the woods and hopes that the Hep V vamps will randomly stumble upon her... AAAANNDDD, okay, Bill sitting up in that tree was kinda stupid, too. Was he supposed to be hiding there or what? If so, why did he keep yelling all over the place? Okay, so it wasn't that good either but, hey, at least she had a plan. People can say what they want about Sookie but you gotta give her props for always trying to do something to help (even if it usually goes up in flames).
Flag
Tired of Sookie? Actually, I've been tired of the show for a while now. I thought I'd watch this season because it is the last one but...I think not. The book series it is based on is no better : it is about Sookie's endless quest for love...endless because they either end up dead or she unconvincingly finds something wrong with the relationship.

The "he loves me more than I love him" rant was the LAST straw.

MAIN Girl-itis exists and thrives because I continue to watch.

No more.

Flag
There's nothing wrong with not wanting to do romantic scenes with of someone of the same sex if you don't feel comfortable doing it. This story arc with Layfette is random and he thought he was going to be working with Deborah Ann Woll, who he knows personally. All of this shaming of him for making a personal decision is really disgusting. It's like if they asked Carrie Preston who plays Arlene to randomly do a romantic storyline with a woman and she was against it. Perfectly reasonable and nothing to be ashamed about. Being an actor doesn't mean you have to portray a same sex relationship the same way it doesn't mean you have to do nude scenes if you don't want to.
Flag
People keep bitching about Tara's death happening off screen, I think they are setting it up to reveal that Lettie Mae killed her, either on purpose or accidently. If not, then I don't know what the point is.
Flag
Yup. And I'm betting on purpose. And now she's literally going crazy with guilt.
Flag
I like the actor and I like the abs, but I found Alcide to be pretty dull, most of the time. I'll miss Mrs. Fortenberry a lot more than I'll miss him.
Flag
i think the writers didnt know what to do with him, as well as most of the werewolves, after the storyline on the v-addicted werewolves was resolved..
Flag
i didnt really like alcide and i dont like eric. keep the deaths coming but dont touch my girls pam sook and jessica
Flag
I was with you until you said Sook, so half thumbs up? lol
Flag
And how awesome was it to see Nan Flanagan again?! In her cool 80s outfit no less? So cool!

Flag
I miss her so much! She reminded me how I hoped vampire politics on this show would be the best thing ever.
That was probably my biggest disappointment with a show ever, when it finally happened in S5 and was so terrible.
Flag
I miss her TV debates...Nan Flanagan could turn any argument the press would throw at her (even King Russel).
Flag
Also I wasnt even sure that were-people could be turned at all. I also thought that maybe they would've tried CPR and giving him some vampire blood before giving up.

Flag
In the books, weres can be turned, so I am going to assume they would have just followed that lore - given they went that route.

Well, being shot in the head, is a pretty immediate death. . .I agree if it was my guy laying there, I would tear open a vamp's vain and try to fix him up, between freak-out sobs. However, I guess in Sookie's mind it was all over and done, and it might have been a small relief (ugh). But yeah, not sure how well vamp blood would have worked had they tried it anyway. . .multiple chest shots and a head shot seems like a pretty quick death. Poor Alcide. :(
Flag
That's what I would do olivemonster: freak out sobs, try vamp blood cure, but then again, I think you may be right, there was a little bit of relief, mixed with her grief.
Flag
No, because it seemed so sudden and as soon as she says that she doesn't want anyone else to die because of her, I'm like those are the words of doom. It always means someone is about to die. I don't know how we'll survive without that bod, until JM gets cast in something else where he gets to take his shirt off... here's hoping

I guess that's it for Tara, which again, without flashbacks of it actually happening, it will not feel real. We deserve an on-screen death.

Here I thought that she had more of a plan than that. Oh boy was I wrong. I'm so absolutely irritated with her. Geez Sookie! She needs to work out something a little more involved and inclusive of say, everyone. So Sookie is getting on my last nerve more and more this season so far for some reason.

I don't see him(Bill) as being all that into her anymore. But who knows, blood is magic after all, right? I don't even care if she winds up withh anyone as long as they have a really great way to solve the Hep-v problem, rescue everyone, and set the world right again. Without the hopeless potential apocalyptic scenario that it feels like is happening.

Eric is going to find Sarah Newlin, then have mercy on her at the last minute, or just snap her neck, or maybe turn her. Wouldn't that be something?

I thought that scene with the reverend and Willa was so good. His character took on so much more depth for me there. He was so sympathetic.
More+
Flag
My only comfort right now is those abs the thought that, at least, Alcide died believing that he won the girl... that he would never hear that stupid rant of Sookie and that he died convinced that what they had was good enough for her.

I'll never recover from this, its like watching the extinction of a species...my werewolf...my poor werewolf...
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members