A True Blood Community
HBO (ended 2014)

True Blood S07E04: "Sick of Goodbyes"

One of the benefits of having been on the air for seven years is that re-introducing characters really packs an emotional punch. True Blood's cast exists in space and time for me in a way that sort of mirrors how they exist for each other. There was something about Jason talking to Hoyt and calling him bubba, even though Hoyt didn’t remember who he was, that absolutely destroyed me. It brought back not just Hoyt’s entire, devastating storyline, but my own memories of watching that plot unfold at viewing parties with friends I don’t see as much anymore. It evoked my own more carefree five-to-six-years-ago self, and that was part of what made it by far the most touching moment this season.

“Sick of Goodbyes”, also called "Death Is Not the End" was long on action and, mercifully, short on goodbyes, but it was remarkable nonetheless. It was greatly improved by Sookie rolling up her sleeves and making some smart choices for once. She pulled the location of the hostages out of Holly’s brain, she insisted that Bill feed on her to prepare for a nighttime rescue at Fangtasia, she talked turkey with Jessica about laying her fairy issues to rest in the interest of a greater good, and she got Lafayette up to the house so Jessica could finally heal. She saved Arlene without getting an ab-ridden hunk killed. Sookie, you did it. You saved the day without acting like a shrill, self-obsessed, sulky brat. Maybe grief and oversized T-shirts have a stabilizing effect on you.

The fun this week came from the Fangtasia origin story. That the authority sentenced Pam and Eric to running a video store was genuinely hilarious; the contrast between the nasty little particle shelves and Pam and Eric, '80s gods standing under that fluorescent lighting, was really too wonderful. And then in the flashbacks we got to meet '90s Ginger, and seeing her evolve into a fang-banger was really a beautiful little gift to the fans. All of it just felt like a big hug from my TV.

And Eric and Sookie finally shared some screen time again. I’ve always been staggered by their chemistry, and while it seems very clear that True Bood is going to send her and Bill off into the sunset or melting into each other’s bloodbaths as its endgame, I hope Eric gives Bill a run for his money. Pam warning Eric off Bill and Sookie and Eric's long lingering glance over Arlene's shoulder set to stirring strings gave me a flutter where my heart used to be. Hopefully we see one last bright flash of my favorite love triangle, in its full glorious beauty, before things started getting all hammy and ludicrous circa Sookie’s red-negligee dream sequence.

I know that as a critic (? Photo-recapper? Person who owns a keyboard?) I am legally required to disparage love triangles onscreen, but eff that. I love a good love triangle, and I honestly believe that despite how trite they’ve become as a device, their frequency in media is still in no way an overrepresentation of how often they occur in real life. You probably know at least three love triangles going on in your personal circle of acquaintances right now. You are 60 percent likely to become involved in one yourself. It’s sort of how humans (and vampires, and werewolves) roll.

While we’re talking endgame, I’d already sort of decided that Violet was going to die (possibly at Sarah Newlin’s hands?!) and that Jessica and Jason would reunite, but with Hoyt back on the scene, who knows. It seems very clear she’s not going to end up with James, who is still just smoldering away across from Lafayette.

I do have to say that literally every week I wait for the other shoe to drop with Tara, and every week I’m shocked she hasn’t come up more or appeared as a ghost or manifested in a looking glass or something. I’m actually starting to think maybe Tara is just gone? How the hell could True Blood have an episode-long funeral for Terry, or Sookie staging an international vampire sting to free Arlene, but Tara was just blotted away with some Bounty paper towels from the grass behind Merlotte’s? Surely there will be some Tara closure. Tara, climb down off that cross and come get your limelight.

QUESTIONS:

... Did this episode feel like something of a relief after all the recent roller coaster episodes?

... Eric and Sookie: #Nope or #HellYes?

...Was Terry's cameo a ringing endorsement for or against the existence of Heaven?

... Endgame theories: Who is ending up with whom? Jessica and Jason a sure bet? Bill and Sookie a done deal? Or should we expect the unexpected? Start placing your bets!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/24/2014

Season 7 : Episode 10

237 Comments
Comments (237)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I predicted that this episode would be the only good one of the season, and it looks like I was right. Must have been the abundance of Eric and Pam. The 5th and 6th episodes were okay I guess, but everything else has kind of sucked.
Flag
Fucking LOVED this episode. Felt like old times. Funny too. The dude throwing the keys, saying catch and Pam just letting them hit her and fall to the ground brought tears to my eyes. Pam will forever be my fave. In fact, the only endgame I have is Eric, Pam and Willa forming some kind of family and having Pam and Willa (and Jessica because none of those boys are worthy of her) walking off into the dark after Eric dies. Screw Bill and Sookie.
Flag
My Endgame:
As long as Sam, his girl, their son, Lafayette, Jessica, Jason, Pam, Andy, and his daughter survive; the rest can burn.
Flag
I am so stoked for the next episode that I keep coming back here for true blood talk....like some hep-v infected vamp that has to feed every hour.
Flag
Also, "hey..." lol :P

Flag
I keep getting worried someone is going to accidentally give someone else Hep-V still. I figured Tara's mom was doing it to her (until Tara off screen died...if it weren't for the lack of news about it, I would have just assumed the actress who played Tara had some kind of dispute with HBO and just got written off for the remainder of the season...which would be sad...but that's kind of how they're treating this "twist", even if a reveal is coming).
Flag
I read an interview with the actress. She said she was ok with her characters death. She was also happy that her last scene was of her kicking ass,not popping like a balloon. It's the final season. One way or another they're all going to be killed off because there will be no more True Blood. That's the saddest part. I was hoping the show would go back to the feel of season one but even though the action is centered in the town,for me it doesn't quite catch that old vibe. I guess Holly and Arlene are both infected now and it wouldn't surprise me if we found out some others were infected in last episodes brawl.
Flag
Buuuut this would mark the first time a noteable vampire character has died without "popping like a baloon." If that's really how it was written, I kind of question the significance of giving her an off screen death like that (in other words, that really better not be just the end of it, otherwise she deserved a slightly better shot sendoff..)
Flag
She did deserve better. I was so bummed out after the premiere because of her death. I was thinking Lettie couldn't be the killer but now I'm thinking about all the batshit crazy things she's done throughout the seasons. Maybe she tried to save Tara's soul by giving her the true death and that's why she's now convinced Tara is stuck between heaven and earth. The writers said Lettie wasn't trying to infect her but they didn't say she wasn't going to stake her while she was feeding.
Flag
Wow, True Blood is actually kind of OK this season! I was so glad that they finally started acknowledging Eric and Sookie together again. There was something really great between them in seasons 1-3 and parts of season 4 - then its like the writers forgot they even existed. Honestly, it would make me sick if the end game is Bill - he did some absolutely irredeemable things to her and having her go back to him would be a terrible message to send.
Flag
Eric was never a knight in shining armor either. Funny how people seem to forget that because,gosh,he looks so dreamy.
Flag
That's true, but at the same time, anything that Eric has done to Sookie doesn't even come close to the things Bill has done. Also, anything Eric ever did that was questionable happened prior to them ever getting together - after that, he has only ever treated her with respect and loyalty. Whereas with Bill, her relationship with him was actually extremely abusive both during and after.
Flag
I don't think Bill deserves a second chance either. I would have no problem with sookie not ending up with either of them.
Flag
My happy ending would b...eric dead or in a relationship with pam and bill with snookie...but i think that eric has 2 die...
Flag
The pessimistic side of me thinks Sookie will continue to stepmom Pam long after Eric is gone...

After all, she's the only one Eric would trust his progeny with
Flag
i want end gam erick and skokie, and i don't know if they try this but maybe sookie's blood could heal the virus? saving erick?? hopefully?? please!! love the episode!! and the flashbacks where the best!!
Flag
This was my favorite episode of the season so far. It felt – finally like a nod to the fans and yes, I love the triangle and would love to see Eric with Sookie in the end.
Flag
For a show so filled with nudity and some of the crazies over the top violence ever seen, THIS is without a doubt my favourite scene of the entire series...

FANTASTIC! Part of me was hoping The Cars 'Moving in Stereo' was going to start playing during his slow motion hero walk. I was also half expecting that Eric might have done some acting and Ginger's reaction was based on seeing one of her vampire movie heroes...but no, she was slack jawed just because he's pretty. Hilarious!

As for everything else, it seemed like a pretty well thought out rescue plan...except for Eric. Why so weak, bro? I know he's sick, but so are the vamps they're attacking. Plus, he's 1000 years old. Doesn't that by default make him the baddest mofo there?

I know that Tara is dead. Alicide is dead. Mama Cass is dead. And I'm sure that more than a few fan favorites are gonna meet the true death before this series is over...but I can't believe that Eric is gonna be one of them.
Flag
I guess Hep-v doesn't discriminate by age. I didn't see any other infected vamps punching through walls either.
My favorite scene is and will always be Pam's exchange with Sookie. "Did I miss something? Are we girls now? Did we join a book club and read some queer chick lit memoirs and are bound together by estrogen or sisterhood or some other feminist drivel?"

Flag
Actually, I'm hoping that Sarah Newlin will have some weird and strange blood that ends up curing the Hep V, NOT because I want it cured but mainly because she needs to be the "suck toy" for every single vampire rather then just being killed off my Eric.

Considering what she has done, she needs to be used and abused by all the vampires.
Flag
Or maybe since she ran the camp where hep-v was developed she knows about a cure. wouldn't that be twisted if she became a MVP that had to be kept alive.Picture it. Sarah Newlin forced to live out her remaining time on earth in a vampire prison with no chance of parole.
Flag
Don't know if this has been counted out yet but I think sookies (and others like her) blood will cure hep v, just taking a stab here because they have to cure this so eric can go on being eric!!!

Flag
I don't know how you didn't see the "brat" in sookie this episode, this was classic sookie having to have her way no matter who pays the price for it, luckily no good vamps died. And I do also see bill and sookie riding into the sunset but I wouldn't be mad if sookie just dropped dead.
Flag
Even though I'm so excited to see Eric and Sookie having scenes together and I would love to see them be endgame (assuming Eric lives of course) but I know that won't happen, she's gunna end up with fucking Bill. I agree with Lily in my hope that Eric at least gives Bill some interference...
So now I get why Luke Grimes didn't come back as James.. in an article they said he left because he didn't like where his character was going this season, and that he wasn't going to be working as much with Deb Woll (Jess.) He thought they had a great chemistry (which they did) and now I assume he didn't wanna see it tossed aside for the James/Lafayette romance.. It actually works better for me that they recast him, cuz I'm excited for LaLa to have a happy ending too, and if the actor didn't like the story it wouldn't be working right now. It did seem a lil' forced and sudden, but considering that like 6 mos pass between the vamp camp and the mixer it makes a lil more sense.. I know LG is playing in 50 shades, but his decision to leave TB was made a while before he was cast as EG.
I realize that Andy should be there for his traumatized woman, but really? He's the fucking sheriff, half the town has formed a militia, and his cousin's wife is still being held captive by hep v vamps who are gunna drain her.. But he should be with Holly, says uh, everyone pretty much.. leaving Jason as the only law enforcement officer in town.. sounds kinda dumb to me...
I was very happy to see Hoyt, and had kinda forgotten about Maxine being killed last week lol. I hope he's coming home before the end..
I'm wondering if there is any long-term reason/purpose for the 80's fb's of Eric and Pam beyond just showing how Fangtasia came to be and further telling their story prior to Eric's death.... Even if Eric and Sookie don't get together I still really, really hope that Eric is saved somehow..
Terry's cameo was really sweet, I miss that guy... :(

More+
Flag
The flashbacks do seem like fan service for fans that haven't really gotten their Eric and Pam fix from the past few seasons, which I'm actually okay with, but they did have some purpose. On the last episode, it was introduce the yakuza, and on this one, it was to show why Pam wasn't a big fan of Shreveport and that Fangtasia had a backdoor (lol). However, I do think later in the season, Eric might be forced to make a choice like he did with Pam and Sylvie. Of course, this time, it will be with Pam and Sookie likely. This is just a prediction.
Flag
Yes yes yes! I got some Hoyt screen time :D
Flag
I kind of loved this episode. This is the True Blood I tune in for. First episode this season I've genuinely enjoyed.

I'm assuming the endgame is Sookie/Bill and Jason/Jessica and have to admit, I don't like either couple. I was far more invested in Jessica/Hoyt but I realise people (and vampires) move on..

What I absolutely, 100 % want to happen at the end is Eric to be cured and badass and just Eric Northman living up life with Pam again, both of them still sharp and full of one liners. Eric being unable to break the wall when bloomin Bill could made me sad.

(If Bill could also see his way to dying, I wouldn't mind that either.)
Flag
I'll say, this was very good for True Blood's standards. The best I've seen in a longer while.

Bringing back Hoyt into the picture took me by surprise, but it did make a lot of sense following the death of his mother. Good move, and hopefully there will be a chance to have him regain his memories. Alcide's father made sense too, I suppose, but his presence never really amounted to much. Jason's phone call also felt more emotionally charged than that of Sookie's.
And as if these cameos were not enough, the writers had also worked in a way of having Terry show up. All that was missing was another vision of Tara and Lafayette's boyfriend, I swear.

I was glad that they finally got around to assaulting Fangtasia (for a moment there I was afraid that particular plot might drag on and on) in force, and it was nice to see that makeshift team work together - even though the action scenes on the show are rather poorly done. The resolution was made even better due to killing a number of Bon Temps' dumb residents in the process (especially the mayor usurper).
The flashbacks worked very well in that context, given their thematic connection to the bar. Hell, they were justified for a single reason of bringing back Zeljko Ivanek. Showing how Ginger ended up with Eric & Pam certainly didn't hurt, either. Showrunners certainly went out of their way to dial her adoration of Eric to the utter maximum, and to channel all obsessive fangirls in the process. A tribute of sorts?

Eric seems to be set up to die at the end of the show, making peace with his long life's choices meanwhile and reminiscing as he goes. And Alexander Skarsgaard has more than enough commanding presence to make his scenes meaningful. A tragic slow-burn, until (or unless) a miraculous cure appears.
I should also mention Lafayette for being (once again) absolutely awesome in his handling of Jessica, and (surprisingly) Sookie for actually not being annoying and at least trying to be sensible.

If the show continues in this direction, this should be an entertainting send-off.
More+
Flag
I used to be a 'hell - yeah!' for sookie and Eric. But then someone pointed out to me why would I want a sulky little brat with Eric, who deserves so much better? Now I don't care who Sulky Sookie ends up with; but I do want Eric to have a good match up at the end. Perhaps Willa or someone who will just LOVE him without ulterior motives all the time like Sulky?

I apologise for the mush; I read a lot of rubbish romances when I was little and I think they're still lingering somewhere in my cerebelum - hence my need for Eric to get a HEA (Happy Ever After). Not sure if that's possible in this show though.....
Flag
Am I the only one who remembers what a dick that moderately good looking blondie was in the first two seasons? Screw Eric.
Flag
Moderately????????????????????????????????!
Flag
Believe or not the entire fan base does not have the same tastes in men. Besides,among all his other dick maneuvers we now know he got the woman he supposed;y loved killed,and Pam stuck running a video rental shop in Shreveport because he refused to heed the warnings and take his sausage smuggling indoors.
Flag
I don't think we need to get nasty with each other. I think in Eric's case that when you've been living for over a thousand years then boredom and a carelessly dismissive attitude to the law is probably highly likely.

He's my favourite character, though I liked Warlow too. But, like you say, we don't all have the same taste - and that's a good thing. Imagine how boring it'd be if we did? :)
Flag
The Fangtasia flashbacks were so hilarious. I could not stop laughing! My favorite part was when Ginger first saw Eric. Hahaha.

Hoyt or Jason never seemed like the perfect guy for Jess. The first James seemed like a good match but I am hoping the new James will end up with Lafayette.

Is Eric going to die? The Great Eric Northman CANNOT die of Hep V! That would be like Khal Drogo all over again (and I'm still not over that). I don't care if a last-minute cure for Hep V would be considered a corny deus ex machina. Just let Eric live! If he does live, I hope he doesn't end up with Sookie.
Flag
Sookie and Eric wouldn't work. Eric apparently falls for a human every thirty years or so (sorry Sooric shippers, that must have hurt too as it hurt this Paric shipper here) and Sookie holds a vision of Eric in her head that's not true. Neither of them would be happy.

Flag
Problem is: Eric never saw Sookie as human, even before they figured it out Sookie was always the only supernatural creature Eric ever fell for.

...which still hurts but only because Godric thought those were human tears at his true death; halflings may still be part human but not human enough for Godric to be amazed by their tears.
Flag
#HellYes to Eric and Sookie - but (and I don't want this to be true) the final scene with them staring at each other over Arlene's shoulder seemed like a goodbye. Sookie's with Bill in real life so can't she be with Eric in True Blood life? Please please. I actually think Bill will die in the end. Although maybe they all will....
Flag
Bill has come full circle since the civil war, if the show was all about him this would be the time he dies. As it is, I'm not sure it will happen.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Flag
I think it's crazy that Sookie and Eric (Anna/Alex) have better, sexier chemistry than Anna does with her own husband (Steven/Bill)!
Flag
Good episode but the show has gone on way past its peak.

Eric will die by series' end and I don't think Sookie will end up with Bill either. Violet will (hopefully) die too!
Flag
I don't like how Tara and alicide died and they both not getting a proper goodbye..
Flag
I felt worst about Rosie...losing Kevin, every ally she ever had and, on top of that, she went out as food for the very vampire helping to avenge Kevin.

What should have been a couple of friendly neighbors In any other town, ended up like Kevin and Rosie in Bon Temps.
Flag
Yes, yes it did. It (this episode) was wonderful and made me feel all sorts of emotional stuff. It was paced really well too. It reminded me of earlier episodes in earlier seasons where they had a really good dichotomy between sadness and humor, sexy and scary, slow and fast, action and... well you get the point.

Honestly I was never feeling Eric + Sookie. But I also don't really mind either way.

I may have been, but since we already know there's an afterlife, maybe it's like a parallel dimension or something, which could still be Heaven I suppose

I can't help the fact that I've always been super attracted to Stephen Moyer and I love the chemistry that Anna and Stephen have together, that being said, as far as their characters go... I really don't know. I think they should move on. I think she should choose to be single for a while especially in the wake of just losing a really good man. I think that the couples that are together should stay, except for Violet and Jason, I don't know how I feel about them anymore, not after seeing her tear someone's heart out like our man Elijah from TVD/TO. I was like whoa. Even though I hated Hoyt's mom, I also hated seeing her die that way. So. Many. Feels...
More+
Flag
About these episode....Eric and Pam were perfect! But the flasbacks were delighfull!

Flag
I nearly died when I saw his hair, hahahhaa.
Flag
Sookie & Eric have always been a #Hell Yes! for me.

She's the perfect stepmom stepmaker for Pam & Willa, she has always been the girl in the white dress for him, his viking side has always felt instinctively drawn to her fairy side, he has only been himself with her, they have actually make each other better persons supernatural creatures.

This recap was the first time I even noticed Sookie was wearing Alcide's clothes (and I love Alcide!): that's how much Eric is the only option in my eyes.
Flag
Definitely a relief. A big FAREWELL to the story lines that were ruining the show.

A big YES to Sookie and Eric. If she doesn't want him, I'll take him in a heartbeat... or lack there of ;)
Flag
If Eric can't have Sookie then he should get the next best thing... Her brother. (IMO, that's way better.) But I suppose that would be too much to ask for.
Flag
I honestly prefer Eric and Sookie rather than Bill and Sookie. I guess there's some Buffy parallels going on for me - I was always preferred Spike to Angel too. Just something about all that tiresome morality, which usually comes tumbling down the moment things get rough, versus love and the desire to be a better man for Her - whether they end up together or not.
So I'm a fangirl for feels - can you blame me?

Anyway: I HOPE we'll get a Jessica and Jason or Jessica and Hoyt happy ending, but I live in fear of the Greek tragedy where grieving Hoyt, angry at the vamps who killed his mom, ends up killing the ginger stranger who somehow knows his name...

If Eric is going to die, I hope he gets to go out with a BANG, rather than a whimper. And I honestly can't decide whether I want Pam to be right by his side - or safely away, sneaky survivor that she is.
Flag
I have a pattern too, but it's the opposite. For some reason I always fall for the epic love at first sight thing. So, Bill and Sookie, Buffy and Angel, Elena and Stefan. . . Interesting to hear you have a pattern too, but for the other guy. :)
Flag
Heh, maybe it IS a pattern - but I don't know if it's consistently "Mr. Right # 2" or the factors I listed above: The guy who honestly tries to better himself to be Mr. Right, and sees the girl for who she REALLY is, rather than the guy who claims to BE righteous and noble and striving to be good, but seems to pin far too much of his redemption on HER "purity" and is sooo disappointed every time she turns out to be human and flawed and perhaps in possesion of a dark side too...
Because Sookie will never be the sweet and innocent damsel-in-distress Bill seems to crave, and Buffy was never meant to be the saintly heroine in need of a knight in shining armour to protect her - both of these girls can (occasionally) kick ass when needed, or at least stand up for themselves, and they both learn to acknowledge the dark side in themselves.
I think love works best when you acknowledge each others weaknesses as well as strenghts, and that requires taking off the blinkers.

Spike was never afraid to step back and enjoy Buffy kicking some monster ass - he didn't HAVE to save her every time. Also, he recognized that she needed a little bit of monster in her man - she could never be the white picket fence girlfriend that Riley (and Angel) dreamt of.
Same goes for Sookie, I think.
More +
Flag
In real life, I would go for the guy as you described: Sees the heroine as she really is, knows that neither of them is perfect. . . etc. But in fiction, I'm always into the star-crossed heroes. I mean, Angel gets the chance to be with Buffy and be human, and he returns it. Because he's a hero. Also (and this may not be a good thing to admit) I think I prefer the men in these shows that have MORE monster inside them, though they fight it every day. For Spike, he has never really been super evil. He recovers from getting his soul back much more quickly than Angel, because he doesn't have nearly as much sickening evil to atone for. Murderer, yes. But vicious, systematic, creative torture? Not so much. But Angel. . . one of the most frightening vampires to walk the earth in his day. And Stefan is a ripper, while Damon is more like Spike. Bad for fun, but not EVIL. Bill and Eric are a bit different, but once again, at Bill's best he's better than Eric, but at his worst he's worse. Oh man, I need to go to a psychologist maybe. ;) And be careful not to date real men with hidden evil!
More +
Flag
OMG, I must have been sooo tired when I typed that up - all the spellzoring and grammar mistakes. *facepalm*
And I can't even edit it from here - sigh. :(
Flag
Great episode. I'm glad Vince and that angry mob were all killed including the backstabbing deputy. Vince's death was even better because Bill killed him before he could kill Jessica. Eric's line of "Pam tells me you wrote in which you claim not to be an asshole anymore. Is this true, Bill?" was awesome. I hope they save Eric somehow. He's too badass to die. Anyone notice Willa hasn't changed outfits since episode 1? Pam stealing the idea of Fangtasia in the flashback was just typical Pam. I think James is gonna end up shacking up with Lafayette, which when you think about it he hasn't been with anyone since Jesus. Oh and Lafayette is just awesome in how he pep talked Jessica into feeding again. So the angry mob is dead, Arlene and Holly are safe, Arlene even got the chance to say goodbye to Terry which she greatly needed along with him telling her to be happy. Also, it makes sense that Eric causing that avalanche, my guess is it happened when he caught fire and screamed bloody murder, so that would explain how he survived. Like everybody else, I'm not expecting Violet to make it in the end. I'm predicting that Sookie and Bill end up together again and I really am rooting for Jason to end up with Jessica. Oh, and when Pam and Eric find Sarah Newlin and they will, difference between them and the Yakuza is that Eric is gonna killing her a LOT more
More+
Flag
So, my guess is Hep V is cured by fairy blood. Is going to be a great deal, not to announce, to announce, bla. In the end, Sookie will cure Eric, who will be in debt with her, but also not romantic involved. Jason and Jessica will realize that Hoyt is better now and there's no reason for them not be together (Violet dies, of course). Lafayette and Jessica's boyfriend will live happy high together. And, of course, Bill and Sookie will ride off into the sunset. I just really wish that they didn't. Sookie should be by her self. I mean, she should learn to have a life that doesn't revolves around men.
Flag
Staff
It would tie up some loose ends, especially as they've talked before about synthesizing fairy blood. I hope that's how it pans out because I can take almost anything besides Eric dying.
Flag
To me it look like True Blood is going to end with Sookie and Bill together again raising a half werewolf/half faerie baby. Aww how sweet! :P
Flag
An 'uh-oh', pregnant from Alcide before he dropped dead, baby. . .innnnnteresting. . .hahaha.
Flag
Eric and Sookie #HellYes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I realy realy hope the show doesn't end with the obviously Bill - Sookie boring story.
Flag
I want her with Alcied, but guess that won't happen!
Flag
Poor Alcide :(
Flag
I really loved Ginger in those flashbacks, but Eric's wig was bad. I liked the hug between Eric and Sookie also. I don't really care who ends up with who. I would be alright with everyone dying. But I'm morbid like that.
Flag
Staff
daaaaang you're cold! Six feet under fan?
Flag
Pretty good episode. I'm really ready for True Blood to be done, but I'd also hope they don't go out Dexter-style, which is to say, bland and lacking.

We're losing a lot of folks, which amps up the tension; I wasn't sure if Arlene was going to make it or not at this point. And there are also a lot of moving parts right now, especially with old characters being seen and flashbacks. I hope that everything comes together well.

As usual, I'm into some aspects/dynamics more than others, but I have to say, I'm loving the burgeoning relationship between James and Lafayette. Contemporary relevance aside, those two have some great chemistry, and they've added an unexpected and intriguing element to this final season. Of course, Lafayette has always been the bomb, but I'm really happy to see him have some good material to work with again.
Flag
Sorry in advance about the PSA. This has been bugging me for a long time, because it's so prolific over the internet, and I really feel like I need to do what I can to fix it. :|

I think that love triangles have gotten a bad rap... mainly because Twilight and its successors have led to thousands of people thinking that the term, "love triangle," means something totally different from what it actually means. Actual love triangles are awesome, when the writer can pull them off. Rivalries - what most people think, erroneously, are love triangles nowadays - can also be awesome if done well, but in a totally different way from love triangles.

A love triangle is, first and foremost, triangle-shaped. You have three people who form three points, and then, when you draw a line wherever there is love of any kind (not just romantic, but strong friendships and familial love as well), you wind up with a triangle... three points, and three sides. If there are only two sides, and they're both of the "romantic love" type, then it's a rivalry, not a triangle. The third side gives love triangles a very different dynamic than rivalries have.

In non-geometric terms, the key difference between a rivalry and a love triangle is that, in a rivalry, two people are competing for the love of the third, so each of the first two people really wants to win against the other. In a love triangle, nobody wants to hurt either of the other two, because each of the three people love both the other two.

To narrow it down, I'm arbitrarily adding a couple rules to what makes a love triangle:
  • At least one of the people in the triangle cannot be in the same family as both the other two (this rule excludes "any three members of any family in existence," from being love triangles)
  • At least one of the sides in the triangle must be of the "romantic love" kind (this rule excludes, say, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy from Star Trek)
...but those are just my rules. A lot of people would count Kirk, Spock, and McCoy as being a love triangle. Really, the only hard and fast rule to what makes a love triangle, is that it must have three points and three sides, with each side representing some form of love.

For example... In Return of the Jedi, when Han briefly thought that Leia was in love with Luke, for about two seconds (until she enlightened him about Luke being her brother), we had a love triangle, at least from Han's perspective. Leia &-& Luke &-& Han &-& Leia. Actually, it was still a love triangle, even after. There just was no rivalry aspect to it. But you still have the dynamic of three people who all care deeply about both the other two, but in different ways.

One of my favorite love triangles in TV is actually the central trio in Fringe. Walter &-& Olivia &-& Peter &-& Walter. Watch any scene with all three of them in it, and that peculiar interdynamic between the three of them - the key feature of a love triangle done well - is clearly the main drawing feature of the show. It really struck me in the final scene of S2E16 (of which I will say no more for fear of spoilers). That was when I realized that I was watching a love triangle working its magic.

In books, a good example of a love triangle is Tessa, Jem, and Will from Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices series. Tessa is torn, romantically, between Jem and Will... who also have a strong "blood brother"-type bond with each other, so nobody in the triangle wants to hurt anybody else.

I don't actually know if Bill, Sookie, and Eric form a love triangle. Clearly there's love between Sookie and Bill, and between Sookie and Eric, but that's just two sides - that's a rivalry. It depends on whether there's any love (of any type - romantic, friendship, or brotherly) between Eric and Bill, and I've seen hints of that (prior to the end of S5, when I stopped watching), but also a lot of indication that mainly they're just competing for Sookie's attention. It feels like a rivalry, at least to me.

Which doesn't make it a bad thing. It just makes it very different from a love triangle.

End PSA. Sorry about that. :)
More+
Flag
Ack!

FYI, whenever you see, "&-&" in these posts... please just picture a two-sided arrow instead. :) That's what I'd typed, but that's not what's appearing.
Flag
Sorry for the double. I need to correct myself. :)

In the last post, I said:
"In non-geometric terms, the key difference between a rivalry and a love triangle is that, in a rivalry, two people are competing for the love of the third, so each of the first two people really wants to win against the other. In a love triangle, nobody wants to hurt either of the other two, because each of the three people love both the other two."

That... is sometimes true, and sometimes not. Probably the most famous type of fictional love triangles (properly defined), is, "brother #1 &-& woman love interest &-& brother #2 &-& brother #1," where the "brothers" could be either literal brothers, or super-close friends. In that sort of dynamic, what usually happens, is the woman is deeply conflicted, not just because she can't decide, but because she doesn't want to be responsible for tearing the brothers apart, so there's a strong incentive to pick neither of them. And when the brothers find out, there's a sense of betrayal, not just jealousy. Or, if the bond between them is strong enough, they might actually be willing to step aside for the other, but be really torn up about it.

Which, again, makes it very different from a rivalry. :)
More +
Flag
The Vampire Diaries might qualify then - girl between two brothers
Flag
LOVED this episode, Pam and Eric moments and those Sookie and Eric moments were gold!

Also does anyone happen to have a picture of Eric in his 90's gettup please?
Flag

Flag
THANK YOU
Flag
I would like Jessica to end up with Andy's daughter.
Flag
I would like it if Jessica ended up with Jason, but I would accept that too.
Flag
I would like Jessica to get her hot ass out of this hick town and start actually living. She is technically 17, and has been under house arrest for her whole human, and now vampire life. Chick needs to see the world and experience things.
Flag
It was better than the last couple, but that really wouldn't take a lot. It took them long enough to get to Fangtasia the most obvious place for them to hide out. I was however, kind of hoping that they would have offed Sookie and Arlene at the same time but I figured that they weren't going to do that.

Pam and Eric were great, I could have done without the flashbacks for them, especially the 90's flashbacks, it just seemed unnecessary.

Overall stil meh.
Flag
Half of what made them great were the flashbacks. I put in my post that you could make the argument that they were unnecessary, but unnecessary as opposed to what on this show? More screen time with those townspeople, Sam being boring, Lettie Mae mourning, Sookie talking etc. Unnecessary maybe, but I'll take those unnecessary flashbacks over most of the shit I've seen most of this season.

You yourself said the show would be much better if they killed off those vigilantes, well they are all dead now.
Flag
I totally forgot that. The moronic townspeople are dead. That was pretty good actually. But in that regard I do agree that it is time that was put on two of the best characters rather than the rest of useless ones. So in that you are correct.

I did watch the second episode of Breaking Bad, it was a lot better than the pilot.
Flag
Cool, though I do agree the 90s one was in fact the most unnecessary.

I love that you are watching Breaking Bad. It will get better each season. Was the 2nd episode the one where Jesse put HF in the tub?
Flag
She's actually a very hated character by fans. Personally, I did find her annoying a lot of the time, but I never hated her.
Flag
Yea that is the one. I cringed when he put the guy in the tub and put the hydrofluoric acid in there with him. Walter killing the guy was pretty good as well. I liked his realization that the drug dealer was intending to kill him.

The wife is still annoying though. Is this an recurring theme that she is annoying?
Flag
Flag
So it's the fourth episode and all they did was wrap up the vampire kidnapping which happened on episode one and got the whole gang back together.

So we're basically 4 episodes of nothing so far?

Wow, for a show in its final season, who doesn't even have to bear the networks 20+ episode seasons they sure are wasting airtime aren't they?

It's hard to try and guess the endgame when there is virtually no plot but what the heck, here's my bet:

Jason will settle down and end his playboy days. It could be with Viloet, Jessica or even Sarah.

Eric will be saved. They'll find a cure (possibly from Sarah if she had the research done on Hep V - might be the reason those guys tried to grab her)

Bill will have something going on with his Lilith abilities. It was put in the recap at the beginning of the season for a reason.

Sookie will eventually reject everyone and will decide to just be on her own.
Maybe she'll go on a journey with that older fairy, forgot his name the one who came after Warlow, and be crowned the new queen of the fairies.

Just some random guesses.
/shrug
More+
Flag
Well, in the books, Sookie kicks all the vamps to the curb and ends up choosing Sam, and having a (somewhat) normal life with him. . .sooo, not sure if that's going to correlate on the show. Not 'Hollywood' enough, I guess.
Flag
Never read the books, but I thought that's how the show would end (Sam & Sookie) but with him having a wife and kid (that didn't die in the most easy to shove in attack) I don't know if they'll go there.
Flag
Yeah, exactly. I thought for a second they were going to go a similar route and replace Sam for Alcide (seeing as he's a hunky fan favorite, and very similar to Sam, supe wise), of course we all know how that turned out.

No idea what they're doing now. If she ends up with a vamp, that will basically be a big middle finger to the source material. (As much as I love Eric - book & show, in the end, Sookie wanted a normal life, in the book).
Flag
Oh, I thought they'll want to go full circle and remind us that in season 1 Sam had a huge crush on her.
Flag
Is there any chance we gonna see Crystal again this season? Did she make a child from Jason? I kinda liked her...
Flag
I really hope they just don't forget that story line because a lot of women rode Jason in that season. (Yes, I'm insensitive.) Would love to see some werepanthers that look like Jason running around.
Flag
Anybody else happy now it seems that Kenya has met the True Death providing Eric with a good feed?

i know I am.
Flag
I think the woman Eric was feeding on was Kevin's wife? Couldn't be bothered to look up her name.
Flag
Her name is Rosie. She was given the news about Kevin at a house with a big sign next to the door that said 'Rosie and Kevin' in a pair of hearts. Several times during the show Jason and Sam talked about giving the news to Rosie about Kevin.
Flag
That's terrible. She seemed nice. Damn you, Eric! *shakes fist*
Flag
Isn't the True Death term only reserved for vampires?

Also, the woman Eric was feeding on was white so it can't have been Kenya
Flag
I do not understand that at all. Up until the last three episodes she was just an inoffensive minor character. Why all the hate?
Flag
For an officer of the law to go against her Mayor & her superior officer & arm civilians because some woman suggested she was being held back at work due to her ethnicity & sex is appalling.

Perhaps Andy new she was an imbecilic traitorous moron & that's why she was never promoted.

Had ad she stood her ground & not allowed the civilians to take the weapons I would have held her in higher regard. As it is it's the last season so I'd be happy if she died.

Flag
Where is a caption with 90's Eric's hair?This review is not complete!!!

Also, I missed Hoyt.
Flag
Also, I loved Eric's reaction when Sookie mentioned she was dating Alcide ("the werewolf").

He claimed he gave her back the house to help move on and be her own person and implied it was all a waste.

To which she replied he just died this morning, so he softened up.
Flag
My prediction is a (kind of) surprise twist when Hoyt stakes Violet for killing his mawma leaving the door open for Jess and Jason to get back together.
Flag
I loved the Ginger origin story!! I had to go back and watch old seasons because I lost my appreciation for this show and going back made me realized how awesome this show really is. It's funny, absurd and u just love all the characters.
Flag
How does Hoyt not remember Jason, that didnt make any sense. Jason introduced himself as Deputy Stackhouse. Didnt they practically grow up together and they were living together for a while. That's not something you'd forget.
Flag
Hoyt asked Jessica to erase all his memories of her and Jason. It was his big exit storyline in season five.
Flag
You're right, I remember now.
Flag
Jessica glamoured him to forget.
Flag
I just have to say: 90's Eric is best Eric. I haven't laughed watching this show like I laughed at that in entirely too long. Enjoyable episode all around, but now with the major threat largely over with, with all the human vigilantes and the local Hep V vamps all dead, where is the story going from here, I wonder? Are we spending the rest of the season hunting down a cure for Eric? *shrug*
Flag
- This episode was quite a fresh breath after many of the recent ones and kept a lot of great focus
- Eric always knows what he wants, Sookie has no fucking idea, they'll never work together long term.
- I want to believe there is a Heaven, but there's no way of knowing it wasn't all just a delusion in Arlene's head.
- I doubt Jessica has a chance with Jason as long as Violet is around, Bill and Sookie will probably end as awkwardly close friends.

What we should really be asking is, will Eric and Ginger finally have the sex of legends that Eric has been promising her will happen one day??
Flag
I want to believe there is a Heaven, but there's no way of knowing it wasn't all just a delusion in Arlene's head.

Yes there is a way to know... Lafayette is a medium... This show had ghosts and seances before. Just ask the ghosts where are they and how they are doing.
Flag
Staff
Excellent point. They had Sookie's grandma come back too, when all the dead rolled in at the end of season...five? Five was it.
Flag
Season 4 actually :)
Season 5 was the authority.

Actually her grandmother did talk to Marney in the middle of the season as well (Sookie heard her by reading Marney's thoughts) so apperantly ghosts are all around us they just can only comunicate to certain people
Flag
The ghosts, seances, and mediums mostly just prove there is an afterlife, not the guarantee of Heaven, Hell, etc. That, and there's all those times Godric has shown up for Eric too, so even they might have an afterlife! Vampire-ghost-bruja-medium possessions to follow?
Flag
No guarantees, heck they could be in something like TVD where there are ghosts on the other side and there's something "beyond it" that they don't know about.

But you could still ask them "what's it like being dead?"

I'm constantly amazed how tv characters don't actually ask that question
Flag
Don't be ridiculous, this show doesn't use logic or coherent thought. Take your well thought arguments and insight to another community, buddy! We don't like none of that nonsense around here!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members