A True Blood Community
HBO (ended 2014)

True Blood S07E05: "Lost Cause"

Is there anything more perfectly satisfying than when storylines are organically driven by consistent characterization? What’s more like Lafayette than to be there when Sookie came home, ready to turn the hardest night of her life into a Mardi Gras of a wake? What’s more like Jessica than to devolve into an insecure mess when she gets cheated on and then turn around and do some hot-as-hell cheating of her own? What’s more amazing than Ginger screaming about being a sex slave without the sex and then screaming her way offscreen?

True Blood is paying off on characterization in ways that are making this season feel as though it's been planned since way back in Season 1. Obviously this is not the case; rationally, we know that the beautiful through-line going on this season, so evocative of what made True Blood a household name, has been painstakingly constructed by showrunner Brian Buckner & Co. after Alan Ball kicked down the door and pissed on the front lawn on his way out. But thanks to Buckner’s efforts, the show's lead characters are not only likable again, but formerly benched players Andy and Arlene are some of the biggest revelations in television acting for summer 2k14.

Arlene’s speech to Sookie, and her flirtatious evasion of a sexy vampire, were incredible . I really just have nothing but praise for everything she was doing this episode. Subtle, beautiful drama next to the most spot-on interpretation of a shy tipsy hot mom I’ve ever seen.

Meanwhile, Andy’s speech to Jessica about life being too short and his pursuant proposal to Holly were similarly just breathtaking. When did Andy become one of my favorite characters on this show?! Put him in every scene, please.

The whole party in Sookie’s house was just a gift. 

It was a relief to shift away from “town-wide apocalypse” while getting to see our favorites be slightly drunk and real. Sookie floating around woozily and hearing snippets of approval for the first time in her life felt weirdly appropriate and sweet. Lafayette and James hooking up in James’ car felt commendably naturalistic: scandalous party drama that, aside from the fangs, could’ve been torn from real life. Lafayette telling Jessica off afterwards was beautifully harnessed writerly intention couched in dialogue that never became didactic. Even Lettie Mae putting her knife in Willa felt surprisingly plausible. 

Elsewhere, Pam and Eric kept the humor and action coming this week. We met Sarah Newlin’s adorable sister. We saw Pam and Eric put on Wealthy Republican costumes. We saw Eric rip the face off a Yakuza.

As hilarious as Pam and Eric were as a visual, nothing was as amazing as Sarah Newlin’s conversation with her mom in the bathroom. Every line of that chat was a hard laugh, and Anna Camp knocked it out of the park. The woman’s comedic instincts are made of gold.

Okay yes, there are also some very minor convenient character turns in play. Bill’s gentlemanliness has been suspiciously ramped up lo these last few episodes, as he and Sookie get closer, but that’s only in contrast to the Tom Cruise-esque asshole Bill became in Season 5. Willa suddenly knew a whole lot of new information about Sarah Newlin, but even that was quite believable considering Sarah almost married Governor Burroughs. Guys, I got no complaints. I loved every moment of the episode except one:

What does it mean?! Is there going to be a miraculous, possibly fairy-based cure so we can imagine our favorite TV world spinning along without us offscreen, or is True Blood going to continue its season-long investigation of actual loss, and the suddenness and reality of death, by killing off both Eric and Bill? We’re halfway through the season and I’ve never been so simultaneously eager to know the ending and fearful of it finally getting here.

QUESTIONS:

... Raucous “celebration of  life” wake: yes yes yes or inappropriate?

... Have you ever cheated on or been cheated on by a significant other? Have you ever been walked in on or walked in on someone? 

... Did that shit go down at a party?

... Cure or no cure?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/24/2014

Season 7 : Episode 10

241 Comments
Comments (241)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
There were memorable moments in this episode, like everything Ginger and Sarah Newlin are in. However, for every worthy minute of True Blood there are 20 others that are cringe-worthy.
Nothing like the romance between queen Lafayette and straight-acting James would ever happen in the real world. As a gay man myself, I certify it.
Another example of straight writing with straight actors...
Flag
There're not enough words in my vocabulary to express how much I loved this episode. On the Carrie Preston Scale Of Awesomeness, I'd give it something like a 12 or a 10 000. It showed how much there is to True Blood, besides all the fun and the gore and the fun gore. And how many of those characters are worth our time and tears and emotional implication, and by characters, I also mean actors because COME ON. Adina Porter works wonders, Anna Paquin is stellar and I would watch Anna Camp in anything (and that includes Pitch Perfect). Nelsan Ellis and Chris Bauer and every single actor, main or guest, wears his or her character like a glove. The writing helps for sure... Lafayette and Arlene and well, yes, Lettie Mae too, they all felt very close for a few minutes. I even liked Violet this episode! Which is saying something, because I usually like to dislike her.

The idea that everything is ending, even Eric and Bill, is fitting, I think. True Blood is ending for us, and clearly the people behind the show are working very hard to connect us to this last batch of episodes, by giving us characterization and fan favorite Sarah Newlin (the killing by heel last season was a highlight), so the way I see it, it's going to end on both sides. (And we're going to end up screaming like Ginger.)

Last wandering thought of the night: I'm all for the party-wake thing! I seem to remember Janis Joplin did this. She kept a ton of money for her friends to throw a party after she died. And she was cheated on too, at her own party-wake. So, there's that. True Blood does tell real stories!
More+
Flag
This was truly a gift of an episode. No, it was a gift that had even more little gifts inside. It might be the funniest for me as well. I don't remember laughing so much at any other episode and the characters have never felt so real.

Again, the weakest part of the whole thing were Bill and Sookie. I was bored out of my mind with the Bill flashbacks and Sookie... oh, Sookie. It might be a bit too late seeing as this is the final episode but for the sake of her future projects, SOMEBODY PLEASE TEACH ANNA PAQUIN TO F'IN ACT.

- Raucous “celebration of life” wake: yes yes yes or inappropriate?
For Bon Temps? YES YES YES.
- Cure or no cure?
YES! CURE, PLEASE! I think Sookie might just implode if both Bill and Eric die as well. She will completely and utterly lose her sh**. More importantly, I can't watch Eric die. :'(
Flag
I meant final SEASON.
Flag
I gave up on True Blood during that season with "The Authority".... Does this mean its worth coming back now?

P.S. What season was that again?
Flag
I'd say you had a right ending there unless you need more closure, every season is pretty contained in itself.
Flag
That was season 5, and no it's not worth it. Out of the five episodes so far, there has been one good episode (fourth one), one average episode (this one), and three episodes that are as bad as those in season 5. I enjoy what I can, but I know it will ultimately lead to something disappointing.
Flag
You took the words out of my mouth!
Flag
Never missed a True Blood episode but still can't figure out who the Yakuza are and what they are doing or why.
Flag
Well yakuza are an actual Japanese mafia. In the true blood universe they appear to be heavily connected to the company that created Tru Blood and The Authority. Which would make sense as in the true blood universe anything to do with vampires was heavily underground until very recently so being heavily connected to the mafia is very plausible.
Flag
It's not super clear, but from what I got: they're representing the corporation who produces True Blood. They used to work with the Authority, I imagine on vampire regulation first to help hide them and then to help mainstreaming, which is why they kicked Eric's ass last episode for running around being too conspicuous. And now they're pissed off at Sarah for ruining True Blood and hence probably destroying the company.
Flag
"We saw Eric rip the face off a Yakuza."

Well, what we REALLY got to see was Eric rip off (and smash) a Yakuzas face WHILE dressed up like a bonafide Texan in a bolo tie...that REALLY made it for me.

But yes, while this episode was really cool and dripping with tension, I have to kind of agree with the one annoying downer of the episode, and that was Sam's wife bringing the party down by bringing something up only someone outside of this television show might be wondering. WHY are we having a party? It's not like all the Hep-V vamps are gone.

But ok, that was obviously not the main bad reason to have the party, since it did turn out ok and it didn't get crashed like in the first episode of the season. The REAL obviousness of it was, why are SO many people cheating on their significant others at this thing and apparently not taking into account how EASY it would be to get caught? Is a funeral/party really the best time to hook up with someone else while your ex is potentially just a room away? And in case this complaint seems in any way over extended, just look at what happened. Everyone cheated and everyone got caught to some degree. It makes sense that these incidents happened, but damn did that elevate quickly. I realize people were a little wasted and it had been a day, but it just didn't make a lot of sense why all this infidelity needed to happen at the worst possible place and time, at Sookies house as she was trying to mourn her dead boyfriend. You'd think Jason/Jessica/Lafayette/Jessica's soon to be ex would have kept it in their pants for a little longer and met up, like I dunno, the next evening to explore each others feelings and bodies? Maybe some place private and not your soon-to-be-ex-girlfriends car that is within earshot and only a few steps from the front door, which she will predictably emerge to look for you and find you super easily :P ?

Oh yeah, and it IS annoying to wonder how Bill suddenly got infected wit True Blood, but it's the same reason I stuck around for the end of the credits to see what the hell that was all about, and it appears anyway that it's not entirely "normal" Hep-V, whatever it is? Anyway, not a spoiler given anyone could have caught the preview for next week, but at least it's indicating that Bill's situation isn't going to be run of the mill. Hey, remember how he kidnapped that Asian blood expert dude last season? That guy's still alive right? Surprised no one has tried to re-kidnap him and have him cook up a Hep-V cure..

More+
Flag
The republican party thing makes absolutly no sense. Sam said earlier that authorities pretty much gave up on everything outside big cities. Which means that these zombie vampires are serious problem that stretched resources almost to the breaking point. And yet they hold this party?

And what about security? This looked like event attented by rich and powerfull. Yet entire security was couple of rent-a-cops, some of them overweight. And why didn't Sarah's father wear those glamour-reventing contacts? Is this something that was important in previous season but now nobody remembers it exists?
Flag
#1 Pam Fan.

What's a sex slave without the sex?
A slave.

Republic**t

I really like her a LOT.
Flag
This was a brilliant episode with so many characterisation loose ends slowly tying up nicely moving forward to the season's finale. Just sad that TB is ending when the party seems to be getting started and getting better with each episode. Ginger was a scream and doubt she would have had been infected by the HepV virus even if Eric did feed off her. Cos if she was, then Arlene would have had too cos in the last episode, Arlene was fed upon by the rabid Vamps at the basement and healed/saved; and this episode saw her fine and partying. Every moment of this episode was savoured with clever logic and pace. Guess the only surprise was seeing campy Lafayette as the "top" humping hunky James and not vice versa instead. Hmmm. As for Jessica confiding, boo hooing and then humping Jason all over again (geez, really?) and being "discovered" by Jason's vamp lady, Violet, outside the eavesdrop, let's just hope she's not gonna off Jessica or turn Jason into a vamp out on a jealousy binge, cos hey, being fair, vamps do kinda hump around, yes? Also, horny Violet did also boasted that she have had more than 100 or more bfs over the centuries, which would make her way much stronger than Jessica if they were to get int a cat fight. Oh dear! Let's hope it does not come to that! Eric and Pam was pure delight to see them back together on a mission and dressing up for the uptight Rep. ball. Guess the Yakuza was not as "powerful" as they were depicted in previous episodes when Eric ripped them apart so easily here. Sarah must have had escaped again like a rat but not for long we're sure. I just loved her unflinching one liner to her mom, "I'm not a monster, I'm a Buddhist!" OMG-priceless!
And hmm, what's up with Bill being infected too? Is TB gonna kill off everyone for good measure? We can only wait impatiently and anxiously weekly and damned, they're all not over till it's over. :(
More+
Flag
I second your surprise. Furthermore, nothing like the romance between queen Lafayette and straight-acting James would ever happen in the real world. As a gay man myself, I certify it. Another example of straight writing with straight actors...
Flag
I think the celebration is inappropriate in theory but it really worked and helped making this episode fantastic!
I really hope there's a cure! They can't both die, can they?
The characters were amazing, absolutely loved Lafayette, Ginger, Pam, Jess, Arlene, and Sarah!
Flag
I'm starting to take this 'fairy blood is a cure' theory seriously. Bill is infected and two episodes ago Sookie fed on him. Maybe they test her and she comes up negative...or maybe she lets him feed on her since they're both infected and his black veins start to fade.
Flag
Yeah I'd definitely bet something along those lines!
Flag
As usual they had me barking up the wrong tree. That's what I like about this show. Predictably unpredictable.
Flag
Haha I thought the same while watching damn I did not see THAT coming! Very interesting twist.
Flag
Ginger is alive!!!! YAY!!!!!!
Poor girl only Ginger could be a sex slave without the sex. :-) I was really hoping that Eric would give her a pity fuck before he left. She's totally earned it!
Loved this episode - apart from the Bill's flashbacks - what was the point? to pave a way for a Sookie/Bill reunion? To try and make us care at the end when we realise that he's been infected? Waste of screentime as far as I'm concerned...
I'm very worried about Jessica and Jason - Violet is not the type of person to take betrayal lightly and the fact that she didn't rush in screaming and has apparently decided to take her time and serve it cold means her revenge will be truly terrible to behold.
I love Amber - maybe she can console Pam when Eric dies?
Flag
Technically, Ginger is a vampire.

She wouldn't be needing a third coffin to travel if she wasn't turned by the Hep V vampires.
Flag
Oh wow. I didn't even pick up on that!
Flag
We find out from Bills flashbacks that his first real love was a Stackhouse.She goes back to Bill and finds out fairy blood is a cure.Sam and Nicole fall down a well and are never heard from again.Lafayette and James buy fangtasia and turn it in to a gay bar. Jason helps Jessica kill Violet.Eric gets cured and is so happy he keeps his promise to Ginger. Pam and Eric go back to country hopping . Arlene marries Keith,Andy marries Holly and they all live happily ever after.
Flag
Except Amber is probably going to die soon too? She was further along than Eric.
Flag
It's starting to look like bills first wife has been turned and waiting some where for him, or that's what i'm picking up. I hope not because that would be almost un-explainable at this point. If some one else has a better explanation of what they see please tell.
Flag
Only Lafayette can cheat with someone's boyfriend, give that someone a tongue lashing and then make that someone feel horrible that she may have upset....yeap Lafayette. That was the best scene of the eppy with Lafayette and Jessica. I for one didn't know Sookie loved Alcide like that....their relationship just always seemed one sided. I even liked Nicole's rant (Jurnee D. Smollett who talents True Blood has truly wasted).
Flag
I like how the ongoing theme for Bill seems to be "to go back home": his flashbacks every episode, thanking Sookie, tying loose ends and now Hep-V...

...he's fnally coming home to Caroline, he's just incredibly, incredibly late.
Flag
Great review, agree with you completely. What a shame to see Trueblood go as we inch ever closer to the end, but what an incredible season so far and that episode was pretty near perfect.
Flag
Yey Ginger's not dead and we got to hear her scream again!
Flag
Techincally, she's still dead: if she needs a third coffin to tag along with Pam & Eric then she was killed and turned by Hep-V vampires.

which means Gonger doesn't have much time left.
Flag
Just because she wanted to travel with them in the third coffin doesn't mean she NEEDED to travel with them in the third coffin, i highly doubt she's a vampire, also hep-v vampires would not turn a human, they are in despreate need of food they don't have, they wouldn't waste it on turning someone.
Flag
maybe she has a coffin fetish..? :))
Flag
Ever since Andy got his girls, I've been liking him so much! He's one of my favourite characters now!
Flag
I wasn't happy at first that True Blood will end this summer but AT LEAST we are getting a hell of a season. Best one actually!!
Flag
This episode... so very tonally jarring. From being overly campy in one minute to shifting into a somewhat grounded mood in the next, from having a moment of apparent coherence to struggling with insipidity right after. Just like the party at Sookie's house, the show really didn't know what was its purpose. My impression of what I was watching must've changed at least several times as the hour unfolded.

The whole idea of the party seemed so awkward and out of place to begin with. Lafayette and James went from genuinely caring about Sookie and understanding her pain one day to behaving like reckless, carefree party boys the next. Because yay, let's celebrate life and brush the passing of someone seemingly important away!
What's worse, at several moments throughout the party it looked to me like the actors were much closer to being themselves than actually being their characters.

Up until now, the romance bit between Lafayette and James felt like a natural, gradual progression. I thought that James confiding in Lafayette and mentioning his problems with Jessica would be another step in that. That the kiss would get him thinking. Little did I know expecting True Blood to restrain itself a little: it had to happen in this sudden spur-of-the-moment humping in the car. And it had to happen in a way that Jessica would find out instantly. Eye roll.
Jessica and Jason's sudden getting together and consequent sex felt even more abrupt for that matter. Really, only now does Jason realize that Violet is a tad possessive and start having a problem with that? And not realize how vengeful is she?

For whole 30 seconds I actually had a reason not to hate Lettie Mae, as her speech about Tara wasn't half bad. But then it was of course the time to dial up the crazy. Eh.
Sookie's mind reading scenes felt downright laughable. Just throw a party and the people who'd despised and hated you are going to all change their minds and decide that they vehemently love and admire you. It's that simple.

It's ironic that Sarah Newlin's vampire sister plot didn't feel nearly as ridiculous as I thought it would be. She was quite cool, and it even managed to make sense. But to make up for that, the later Yakuza attack and the disposing of Sarah Newlin's parents was all kinds of outrageous. And I guess that Eric still retains super speed in his stage 2, even though his super strength seemed to evaporate earlier on. Ah well, convenient is convenient.
Can't say that I care much about Bill's flashbacks, but it's interesting to have him join the ranks of the diseased.

At least not everything was so uneven: Andy was mostly great, Ginger and Violet had a funny scene each, Lafayette was also solid (besides that car humping), and Willa handled her pissed off vibe very well.
But still, such a weird experience watching all this bad mixed with the good.

More+
Flag
I really liked the episode, but I feel you are right with everything you said. It's just that I expected nothing more from the show!

About Bill's flashback, I don't know why, but I had the feeling that Caroline could have been turned too
Flag
It's true that I might've expected a bit too much, but the previous episode somewhat raised my hopes for the season.

It's a curious thing, those flashbacks of Bill. I wouldn't be surprised if you turned out to be right and his first true love was brought back in whatever way. We don't have nearly enough love triangles in the mix! Or perhaps that could mean a definitive end to Bill & Sookie - I for one wouldn't mind.
Flag
I really hope they don't bring Sookie and Bill back together!
Flag
it is a little weird to be bringing those flashbacks up now, i think you may be on to something
Flag
That's what disturbed me... I even thought it might be someone telepatically sending them to Bill.
After the end of Warlow, I really could not think of a believable final villain, but who knows?
Flag
I've got to hand it to Ginger: if she was turned by Hep V vampires then she's diseased as well, therefore Eric loses nothing by sleeping with her.

I'd say let her be.
Flag
Ok, HBO's poster for this season was very telling. It said Goodbyes Suck. Yes they do, so in return they decide to make the last season of a very popular show SUCK as well. WORST SEASON EVER!!!
Flag
I think the Lafayette´s scenes were brilliant and frankly is not like Jess was so into James anyways to be honest. Lala deserves happiness too. Ofc Eric & Pam´s scenes were by far the best like usual and i think Sarah Newlin might know about some kind of antivirus (eric MUST survive). Eric kicked major yakuza ass and i loves how that slow motion entrance of him in the corridor was an homage to Terminator 2. I can´t believe we still getting more Lettie Mae craziness at this point...we get it bitch is crazy, let´s move on. I though Hoytt gonna be back but he wasnt, that was a bit confusing. Andy was awesome and i loved how he comforted Jessica. Sam´s wife was such a Debbie Downer in that party, she survived and her baby also she should be celebrating that she´s back with her man alive and well. I felt sorry for Bill but not sure how he got infected in the first place...he wasnt feeding much lately except from Sookie, so she is a carrier i bet. The cure must be something or someone else. I know we are half season in but i´m still shocked of Tara being killed of camera like that, i just can´t deal...maybe Rutina Wesley decided to leave the show or she was fired but i´m sure something happened there. I´m starting to miss the show already to be honest, I hope it gets an spin off. I laughed so hard at Ginger´s antics ...so campy and fun. I only wish to Eric and Pam to live happily ever after...the rest can or cannot kick the bucket i don´t mind. (I´m talking to you Sookie) xD
More+
Flag
It's not that Lafayette deserves some happiness as well, it's just that someone as sexual as Jessica should've figured it out before walking in on her boyfriend's boyfriend.

Add sleeping with an older vampire's human, all the while knowing baby vampires stand no chance against an olfder vampire and she's just as sexually stupid as she is stupid.
Flag
While so many people seem to be jumping on the bandwagon that Sookie and Bill are going to be reunited this season, I am seeing something different. All the Bill flashbacks seem to be setting him up for a reunion with his family! The Sookie and Bill interaction all season has been very cold.
Flag
Bill didn't have a sip of blood in a long time until he fed off Sookie. Now he is infected. Does that mean Sookie is a carrier of Hep V? Then there goes the theory of curing the disease with fairy blood (or precisely Sookie's blood).
Flag
Having Sookie's blood as the cure is super ultra convenient writing plus lame. I hope those writers didn't come up with this.
Flag
Yep, I believed it was fairy's blood that was going to be the cure, im not ruling it out yet but its looking less like it to be the case.
Flag
If Warlow's blood didn't spare Bill - and he was a full fairy - then I doubt a halfling's blood would do the trick.
Flag
Somehow I got the idea that Jessica may be the cure, since she consumed sooo much fairy blood.
Flag
Everything you said: ditto. I loved it, felt alternately choked up and amused. I laughed with tears in my eyes a couple of times.

Yes, I love the idea, but as to it's appropriateness, I think it depends on the person doing the grieving. At first I thought it wasn't right for Sookie, in this case, but then she embraced and had a good time. Sometimes that's good too.

No, I haven't. I haven't had any such soap opera like things happen to me. But I did once sleep with someone in my apt. after my ex-boyfriend and I had broken up and he found out and was very upset. Even though I technically didn't cheat, we weren't supposed to have people back to our shared home. OK I take that back, that was a bit soap-opera-esque

Nope

I don't know. I, like you Lily, feel very apprehensive about the end and what all this means for our beloved characters. I was thinking about how much I love them. How much I love them all, even some of the newer ones, like James and Willa. I want there to either be a cure or maybe adress the whole apocalyptic-esque scenario they've created. Still, no one has turned on the TV or radio or anything. It's so strange.
More+
Flag
I'm still gonna act like True Blood never happened if jessica dies. Who's Violet ? Kill her.
Flag
She isn't the type to take revenge on those who wronged her, I'm expecting she'll go after Holt if she somehow knows they both have a connection to him.
Flag
We're still thinking like a XXIst century mind, Violet is from a very catholic world, a bad medieval Catholic world and they believed in the sanctity of monogamic union.

I don't see her giving up on Jason, but he wouldn't really be hers if Violet has to eliminate Jessica in order to get him. She believes they are mates, and she's prepared for him to grow old with her.

I don't know what she's going to do to provoke that result, but I can tell is not going to be conventional.
Flag
oh yeh, she might uncompell hoyt, cruel but well vamps like it cruel.
Flag
Lily, I'm so happy you love this show as much as I do. I watched the entire episode with a cheesy smile on my face, save the very end.

I'm a huge fan of Alan Ball, but I don't think I realized how much he screwed this show up until he left. Love you Brian Buckner and writers. They've really brought it back to S1 and 2... especially last night's episode with the party at Sookie's and the vamps in Dallas. (Felt like season 2).

To answer your question, there has to be a cure!! Killing off both Eric and Bill would be way too devastating. Yess, this show definitely turns me into a dorky fan girl every summer, not ashamed to say it.
Flag
I wish to retract my comment from last week. 90s Eric is not best Eric. Cowboy Republican Eric is best Eric.

Pretty much loved this episode all around. Have to agree, no idea when Andy became one of the best characters on this show, but he did. Loved Lafayette doin his 'thang', telling Jessica off in the best manner possible. I'm *really* curious to see what's going to happen next week with Violet now that she knows Jason and Jessica hooked up. Will she (attempt to) kill them both?

I am a bit curious how Bill managed to get infected, given that he has been so restrained these past months, but I guess it will just be one of those "well he got it randomly from someone we'll never show you, because he never would have actually been infected, but we needed moar tension". *shrug*
Flag
this is turning into Game of Thrones - everybody dies.

if Bill is infected did he infect Sookie when he fed on her a day ago??
possibly this means fairy cure is coming for everybody.. poor Adeline.. :)
Flag
If this werr Game of Thrones, death by fire would be pure enough to eliminate them all.

...and Fangtasia is still standing.
Flag
at least we still that going for us :)
Flag
Pam should get her own show. She is just too awesome!
Flag
haha! she's become a republicunt tho :P
Flag
Where do I sign? PAM RULES!
Flag
Ugh.
Flag
It's saying you replied but I don't see anything.
Flag
That is weird.

If it doesn't show up later it basically says that the whole episode was over done. Alcide and Sookie weren't together that long for this to be a thing. Plus her and Bill are already going to get back together. Bill's Hep-V is likely different somehow and will probably end up being some type of cure. Jessica and Jason were expected, Violent should have interrupted them because of how her character is. Everything else is Blah and the only saving of this season is that Anna Camp really looks great as a brunette.

In Breaking Bad news, I am only to Ep6. I have been busy taking over for a colleague. It is good, I like the evolution of Walter White. I hate every member of his family. I did like his dealing with Tupo the drug dealer.
Flag
Got it now. If you read my comment way below you pretty much know where I stand with this episode and this season. Don't really find Anna Camp that attractive though.

Glad you're liking it, though I can't say I'm too shocked you hate the family. They got on my nerves sometimes, but I didn't hate them. Hope you continue to enjoy the evolution, or devolution, however you want to put it, of Walter White.
Flag
That really is the crux of the show. Is he evolving or devolving? Personally I would say that he is evolving, at least from the place where he was initially. Professionally I would say he is devolving.
Flag
Isn't there supposed to be a rant that follows Ugh?

At least give me a Breaking Bad update. Come on, don't be a Republicunt.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
A really good episode (this season is getting better), except for Bill's boring flashbacks. We get it, he wasn't racist.
Flag
He tried to desert the cause in order to be with his family. I think the point is that Caroline will always be his true love (not Sookie), his death children will always be his family (not Jessica) and, if he dies, he wants to be buried or at least scattered in the family cementary.
Flag
Ya the flashbacks threw me off, because I still don't get what purpose they served at all. I guess we'll see in the next episode? Otherwise, I'm completely thrown as to why they were ever put in the episode to begin with.
Flag
Personally, I think Bill's really gonna die. Otherwise, it makes these flashbacks to his past, living, life superfluous. If he's just gonna walk off into the night with Sookie (happily ever after) then why bring up all this stuff about his wife, daughter, and how different the past is vs. the present: which was the entire purpose of the Bodehouse flashback.
Flag
Ugh, those flashbacks.
Flag
I would guess it means that they are going to kill off all the vampires.

The Yakuza Eric ripped the face off was the same one that forced him to choose between Pam and that little french heiress. That's why he let Sarah go to go after him. Probably the only person he wanted to kill more than Sarah.

I was kind of surprised at Willa's reaction to Jason and Jessica. She had just gotten through claiming him forever, and then she just lets it go. I was sure she was going to try and kill Jessica.

A wake should always be a celebration of life.

No cure. They are all going to die the True Death.
Flag
Why would Eric be p/o at yakuza for killing that french woman? Eric has never been one to care about humans so why would he still be angry after 30 years? Other than them taking away his toy but he was never too hung up on such anyway.
Flag
True enough. On the other hand, why would he choose to let Sarah go in order to rip the Yakuza's jaw off, if not for revenge?
Flag
Threat assessment. Yakuza were more numerous, obviously well trained, well armed and showed no fear when confronting him, rather they went into full attack mode. Between guns and swords they posed a real threat of killing him. After he dispatched them he could easily go after Sarah again, she couldn't have gone far anyway.

So it was a choice between removing a real threat to his life and postponing revenge or rushing with his revenge and risk being killed. Not really a choice....
Flag
Violet is not the type to let anything go. She's a medieval crazy bitch. And she will do some crazy shit next week, I'm certain of it.
Flag
Violet, not Willa. I have a hard time keeping the names straight.
Flag
Sarah's face when she realised she was stuck between Eric and the Yakuza was brilliant!!!!

I think Violet's about to kill a bitch...
Flag
Violet is from bad-ass Catholic world, she said so herself. She's planing for Jason to spend the rest of his life with her, and he wouldn't be hers if she has to eliminate Jessica.

Murder is just too easy.
Flag
True true...
Flag
The part that made me laugh the most was actually a facial expression. When Eric told Ginger he was infected, she responded with "SO THE FUCK AM I!" The look on Eric's face when she said that was priceless.
Flag
Staff
that whole conversation with Ginger was a gift. I think the writers have grown to adore that actress, she's gotten a couple gorgeous little scenes the last couple episodes and she's made the most of them.
Flag
Oh god I love Ginger...
Flag
Isnt this the first time we see Jessica naked (side view)?
Flag
No, In ep 4x12, when she played Little Red Riding Hood, we got to see a bit more.
Flag
The new vamp that likes Arlene is really cute. Should have cast him earlier.
Flag
Arlene and Andy have been more fun to watch in recent seasons than Sookie. Though, it seems that a combination of it being the final season and a random baggy red t-shirt has transformed Sookie into a stronger, less annoying, character.

This has been my favorite episode so far this season and it embodies what made TB as fantastic as it was. And boy, poor Ginger. I really wanted to see her hit Pam hahaha. Eric and Pam's side story is doing a somewhat good job at distracting us through hilarity from being sad over Eric's Hep-V.

But I ask...

Would the Yakuza really make such a direct attack on a political event just to ferret out Sarah? If Sarah thought Laura Bush was going to be there (LOL!), it's safe to assume this was a room filled with extremely powerful people. Pretty ballsy move! Either way, more Anna Camp is always welcome!

Flag
I don't know if the Yakuza would try something like that. But I'm pretty sure a high level GOP event like that would have had better security.
Flag
Considering the state of the world... I imagine the outside was surrounded by a veritable army. In case some angry Zompire hordes approached. And they probably took out the army off-camera with their ninja skills.

In which case the interior would probably have minimal security so the posh clientele wouldn't feel odd by looking at P90's or whatever.

Besides... Vampire Ninjas. There's not a lot you can do against Vampire Ninjas, especially when they can run like "The Flash" If nothing else, I applaud this season for making Vampire Ninjas a thing.
Flag
Good point.
Flag
Agreed. There probably was an army of security outside that they neutralized before killing everyone inside with relative ease. Until running into Eric that is.

Hahaha Vampire Ninjas!! I smell a spinoff LOL!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Could be timing... vampires are dying left and right.

My guess is... they think Sarah has some sort of cure tucked away. In which case they'd need her sooner than later.
Flag
It's either she somehow has a cure and has kept it secret, or Sookie has some fairy cure bs that she's going to pull out of her butt. Eric being infected is hard enough, but once she finds out about Bill...

I'm just curious how they're going to explain the cure in a somewhat original way, because killing off both male leads would be Game of Thrones shocking.
Flag
1. yes yes yes
2. yes yes, no no
3. Just a regular normal party with some stabbing, cheating, crying and flirting.
4. I really see this cure thing going either way. I love that the series can do whatever they want in the last season because there's no tomorrow to think about. So ending the series by killing every last vampire is surely a possibility.
Flag
Hehe, I was also gonna say - "... Did that chit go down at a party?" - LOL! xD
Flag
Who doesn't love Ginger?!!
Flag
I find Sookie's mourning very insincere. While we have seen the chemistry in seasons past which have led to their relationship. The audience have not been invested IN the relationship since they did a time jump. All we saw was Sookie being a total brat to him, voice her unsure love for him, and let him die quicker than before the vamps even finished asking. Plus the way Alcide's character was disposed of by the writers.... can we say red shirted?? Sookie probably feels more like guilt than grief. (I almost wish that was Eric's jacket at the end that she had, it would have made more sense... lol.)

I felt like this was sort of a throwaway episode after last week's action packed episode. Pam had the best line of the night, yet again. I just kept wanting to skip the party scenes and find out what Pam and Eric were up to. The entire party felt like a lull. Bill and his unnecessary flashbacks were a bore, the only thing interesting about him happened in the last minute of the episode. Andy and Jess had a nice moment to resolve their issues. Lafayette telling Jess off was great but then he turned it around and made it all about him (not so great).

Also, CAN WE STOP IT WITH THE JESS AND JASON?!?! this is round three (?), I thought Jason wants a family now and Jess doesn't value him either... First time, she wanted just to be f*ckbuddies when he wanted a relationship, then he went to vamp camp to save her ass but she asks him to bring James to her so they could f*ck WHILE Jason stands guard outside. WTF. I am very surprised that Violet just walked away, this is very out of character. Which probably means there's going to be a world of hurt for Jess and Jason next week.

Lastly, no one cares about Lettie Mae!! what a waste of precious airtime in the final episodes. :\
More+
Flag
I just have 2 things to say .....

1. LAFAYETTE IS A TOP? OMG
2. I'm very pleased that Eric-fuarking-Northman is nice and muscley again.

That's all I wanted to get off my chest. Thank you.
Flag
Lafayette topping cannot be. It just can't.
Flag
Hahaha, Lafayette topping made me laugh so hard.

I know right! Eric was looking a bit scrawny S4 - 5? Glad he's hunky again. :))
Flag
Oh, yeah, I wondered that about Lafayette too. OMG, you read my mind. Get out of my brain!
Flag
I'm going to be really sad when the show ends. No more Sookie Sundays? I've been a loyal fan since day 1 and I've even revisited past episodes. Remember when Bill was with his maker Lorena and he twisted her head around so he didn't have to see her face? Remember the were panthers? Those are things that I'll truly miss. The only thing I didnt like about last nights' episode was when Jessica didnt want anything to do with James all night and then he disappears and she starts looking for him and gets all mad when she saw him hooking up with Lafayette. That was kind of predictable because I knew she was gona hook up with Jason again. The thing that's really throwing me for a loop is the whole Hep V stuff idk how that's all going play out, so that's something I'm really curious about. This show makes me laugh with its absurdity but without it it wouldn't be True Blood.
Flag
I agree with everything you said lol, I am definitely bumming that there's only going to be 5 more episodes ever... The book series was even better until CH decided to take a big steaming turd on her fans in the last cpl books.. I have never seen a book series take such a hard swing at the end.. So many details forced to fit the author's desired ending, it felt totally out of place.. That's why I have even more respect for TB's current show runner & writers, they've built something this last season that fits with the rest of the series even after Ball really uh, dropped the ball...
Flag
It was nice of Jason to give Adilyn and Wade a heads up: "I don’t know if you two are f*cking, but if you are, you'd better cut it out."
Flag
Wade is pretty cute. I hope they give him more screen time.
Flag
Lafayette telling Jessica she never really cared for James was ok, it's like telling a friend what they're were doing wrong. Making her feel shit for it and turning things around to make it all about him was VERY A**HOLE of him... You just fucked her boyfriend you douchebag!!!
Flag
Staff
It wasn't his classiest moment. he should have had that conversation with her before making his move. Then again Jessica turned around and did basically the exact same thing.
Flag
I had trouble believing they'd kill off Eric, but now that Bill is infected as well...I'm not so sure. Either both go and Sookie's life returns to some level of normalcy or both and we're left to wonder.

Lafayette, Andy, Arlene, Jessica, Willa, James, Holly, Violet...you all ROCK! Hell, even Sam was pretty cool in dealing with Nicole's freakout. "WTF is wrong with you people...this isn't normal!" isn't an unreasonable reaction to somebody who hasn't lived in Bon Temps for an extended period of time.

All interactions between Lafayette and Jessica I thought were fantastic. Though I dig Violet, much more now that Jason's put on his big boy pants...I wasn't real enthused at his "about face" with regard to his feelings towards her. Well, that was until his moment with Jessica, then I remembered how much fun those two are together. I worry though it's not going to end well for one of them...Violet doesn't strike me as one to take rejection well.

Eric, Pam & Ginger...don't ever change!
Flag
There was a tease about Bill's infection progressing differently than the other vampires. That could mean a few possible directions that are,as usual, impossible to predict. Maybe something to do with Lilliths blood? Yes. I am a V addict.
Flag
Or Sookie's

He presumably got infected from feeding on her. And since her blood is fairy then it probably affects the diseas.

Recall she cut open her arm to attract the zompires... then minutes later (in our time) got covered in blueberry pie when they all exploded.
Flag
I'd be happy if the whole Lillith arc stayed dead and buried. If they cure Hep-V, I can only hope it's nothing too "convenient" or "oh, by the way" that stretches the imagination more than this show already does.
Flag
Aren't they leaving it a little late and annoyingly disjointed for viewers who've cared to follow this to keep doing all these character journey stories? This has definitely turned into the, "What would you guys like to get to include in this final series?" outing by the writers. And this is all the more galling for me after Tara and Alcide's fairly senseless departures, that's been like the writers saw Game of Thrones and thought it a good idea to near randomly whack characters.
I note people are slating The Strain for being too slow (amongst other complaints) and this has turned into the case with TB. Enough of the Alzheimer's recall, please. Oh, and if Sookie has another belated I can hear folk talking about me and it pisses me off moments like it's a new thing I'll scream like Tara Buck.
Flag
Thank you. This season has been a complete disappointment to me storywise. There is just no plot and story left to tell to finish this show on a strong note. It's just a dozen random episodes of fan service including fanfic, one-liners, pointless flashbacks, major deaths without any consequence or meaning, pairings, underexplained appearances/deveopments.... I guess any hardcore fan loves this season. But if you're looking for any actual strong story / season arch, ... look elsewhere. Similar to Dexter's final season, they don't have enough material to finish the show in a way that's gonna give closure on all 7 seasons I feel.
Flag
That's not a big surprise to me though. This show hasn't had a strong season arch since the second season.
Flag
Yea Tara got a lame departure. Her death was off screen and it seems as though Sookie is sadder about Alcide's death than Tara's.
Flag
Well, were they still close?

After Tara turned vampire she flat out said she was done with Sookie. I think they at least came to terms at some point but perhaps they were no longer close.

That being said, I'd still feel sad about a friend dying that I hadn't seen since college.
Flag
The point is that they've killed a major character that was there since episode 1 for 6 full seasons. They could have utilized it to make it an impact on all the characters but they didn't. It just happened.
Flag
Yea they grew up together. Even if I grew apart from someone Id still be sad if they died.
Flag
Not sure whether there was a tv.com/ article to cover her death (probably had been in a review), but found this, just btw. http://www.bustle.com/articles/30343-true-blood-season-7-theory-tara-thornton-died-but-shes-not-really-leaving-the-show
Flag
There's been too many shows that have taken that supposedly 'bold step' of drawing things out to the nth degree only to find it backfire badly. Tara may well prove to be the case in point. Yes, there's clearly writing in place for Sookie to do some fairy shit and bring her trapped ass back but, will we care (unlike Sookie, as yet) by the time it happens? And, will we want to revisit all the episodes just to get back to that point in the future of liking the story and them all again? I doubt it thus far.
Flag
I feel you. Everything you said.

And, if the writers were indeed attempting to pull off a GoT-style offing of characters, they are definitely not doing it right.... The departures on GoT (I'm presuming ur referring to the end of S3) were sudden, unexpected, gut wrenching, but it had a real purpose in propelling the story forward.

Let's see, so far with Tara's death it's made Sookie/Lafayette sad for a token 2.5 minutes and also made Lettie Mae flip out more often than usual. For Alcide's case its pretty much just so Sookie can settle down with a different boyfriend.

I hate that I'm so disappointed with the way things are going with this final season, but I really can't help feeling this way :(
Flag
I loved this episode! Makes me sad this is the last season.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members