A True Blood Community
HBO (ended 2014)

True Blood S06E03: "You're No Good"

Let me ask you something: Is Alexander Skarsgard aware that “glamour-ing” is a fictitious trait belonging to his character Eric? Or is that just how people respond to him whenever he makes eye contact with them? Alexander Skarsgard asks a barista for a coffee, she probably makes this exact face:

Ginger, Willa... sure, they were “acting” dicknotized by Eric during "You're No Good," yeah their eager agreement to his suggestive proposals was in the script, but do you think the actresses would really react any differently to Alexander Skarsgard striding into their dressing rooms and demanding a thorough sexing from stem to stern? I highly doubt it.

“Sookie all over again” is how Pam described Eric Northman’s latest piece of ass/collateral, gorgeous gubernatorial ward Willa Burrell. True Blood, in finding its Season 6 footing, is looking to the perennially solid ground of Skarsgard's sexual charisma and the proven-successful formula of a young innocent drawn to a sexy vampire. As Pam pointed out in Ginger’s (surprisingly big) home, Willa echoes Sookie’s Season 1 persona: her innocence, her fragility, her eager complicity, her awe of Eric—Willa even had a chastely white gown.

Jason and Sookie’s conversation about the merits and possible racism of their dead parents was among the most confusing this show has ever presented. I’m still unsure of whether Mr. and Mrs. Stackhouse were racist against vampires (or even knew about vampires in their lifetimes), or whether they were hallucinations or legit ghosts. More importantly, I don’t care even slightly. Also the “don’t idealize your parents” bit… hell, idealize your parents if you want. Why not? Project everything you admire onto them and then strive to match that imagined example, if that’s what gets you through. Maybe you’ll end up being a better person than even they were, and if so, great! Even better! That's how role models should work! (And that's why we get so angry when role models wear their horribleness on their sleeves.)

Sookie, btw, was looking haggard. And no, I’m not trying to call Anna Paquin out for the fact she hasn’t eaten bread since that time she taught a goose to fly, what I mean is that in appearing so thoroughly emotionally wracked, her continual expression is one of a wary old woman peeking through her front door all like, “We don’t want what you're selling, we don’t take that paper, I said good day!” It’s good acting! But it’s sort of depressing.

And what happened to her empathy for vampires? One minute she personally wants to guide Jessica through hell and high water back to full-on crazy-mode Billith, the next minute she won’t even hear Bill out about possibly saving 99.9 percent of her friends. Don’t you think it was a bit strange that Sookie’s usual fervor to do right by vampires didn’t kick in even a little? Her knee-jerk refusal to open a vein didn’t feel accurate to me. Although Bill could have been a little more specific about how much blood he wanted her to donate: Are we talking a Pixy Stix’ worth, or are we talking a soda can-sized portion? These things do make a difference.

Bill growled that she was dead to him, and he’s sort of fully justified in that. After years of sticking her neck out for the stupidest of reasons, Sookie refusing to help him synthesize her blood seemed to undermine the last five seasons' worth of her character’s driving motivations. Of course, perhaps what she really wanted was some gentleness—later,  when Fae Ben Flynn helped her clean up her kitchen floor...

(I am MELTING from the waist down at the thought of a man with a dustpan. THAT is how fairy godfathering is done, you go investigate a crime scene and bring your fairy princess granddaughter back a new boyfriend.)

Ben broke through Sookie’s 1,000-yard stare. If Bill had taken a moment to ask how she was doing, maybe she would have filled a Tupperware for him to take on home. But this scene revealed why Willa is necessary to step in and fulfill an archetype that Sookie has grown out of: The “girl in the white dress-ness” of Sookie has been so stripped. Willa functions as the audience proxy who gives a shit, I guess.

The genius who synthesized TruBlood/could possibly synthesize fairy blood was yet another occasion for exiting showrunner Mark Hudis (who wrote this episode) to bring back classic vampire sexual predatory behavior and show that he's had a big old crush on Jessica all these years. LIKE ALL OF US. Jessica dolled herself up like a manga schoolgirl to ask the blood genius/professor some questions after class (not sure what purpose that really served, as all she had to do was wait for the rest of the students to leave the room and brain him—surely she could have done that in the usual college uniform of “PINK” sweatpants and Uggs?). It was gratuitous sexuality from Jessica, who heretofore always seemed to carry a deliriously accessible edge of awkward along with her hotness (remember Rock Band and blue hair streaks?) that furthers my opinion that Hudis has been bringing it back to vampire basics like the showrunning version of Amy Winehouse. (And btw babies, he was booted from the series, so be on the look out for a tone change when you see “Brian Buckner” in the credits very soon…)

But I need to focus on the task at hand: For some reason the werewolves, including suddenly horrible Alcide, are dead-set on raising Luna in a 4’ x 8’ shed with a double bunk bed (grandma sleeps on top, or... ?) in the middle of the forest. Hilariously, after the police casually mentioned that the increased powers they’ve been given to hunt vampires had stripped ALL citizens of their basic Constitutional right to a warrant before search and seizure, they then walked into a room half the size of a Vegas elevator and were like “Nothing to see here!” I should say not. I don’t see a kitchen, I don’t see a bathroom, I don’t even see a galvanized steel tub for “standing baths.” What the hell?

The latter-day freedom riders then rolled up like a welcome wagon to the werewolves to extend their support, but they quickly learned that werewolves did not want any support, they don’t want anyone acknowledging their existence, they are scared of what is happening to the vampires and don't want it happening to them. This is one of those basic social theory philosophy questions society keeps getting wrong, so it's always good to reinforce the lesson: If you turn your back on an oppressed minority, you open the door for your own rights to be trampled. If True Blood Season 6 is going to become a 10-episode illustration of all the ways this is true, then cool. Of course, it could be (and has been) argued that the analogy crumbled between vampires/misunderstood minority groups when the TruBlood stopped flowing; vampires who necessarily feed on the blood of the innocents cannot be compared to a group of people peaceably living in an alternative lifestyle or ethnically centered subculture without actually implicitly supporting fear-mongering. (Alternate reading: True Blood is a cathartic empowerment fantasy for oppressed groups  to appreciate the damage they could do to society if they sank to the level of their bigoted oppressors.)

The werewolves sure added a layer of complexity to the already uneasy analogy by trashing the hell out of the vampire unity group who was just there to make some Vines. Do NOT approach a werewolf with Google Glass on. They don’t like it. Although after silently bragging about their abs:

... it seems like Alcide SORT of got things under control? Or he at least refused to let harm come to the mind-numbingly photogenic Jurnee Smollett. Don’t hurt her! She’s too pretty. Sam used the moment to save Luna, a young child, while naked. Well done, Sam. Sam’s plotline this season has been mercifully infused with Lafayette, who basically told him to his face, “You’re played out and boring, I’m your new scene partner,” and Sam was like “Phew thank goodness.” This is nothing but good news for eyeballs and ears everywhere.

Also, the Newlins reunited in a scene that reminded me of a high school production of Guys and Dolls, and the whole time I kept thinking, if you hate your wooden ex-wife so much just kill her, Steve. Use your superfast vampire skills to whip across the room and snap her neck. I’m not sure what tomfoolery explains why Steve Newlin is such a docile captive; he doesn’t appear to be suffering a UV bullet or silver injections. In a room where there's a doctor with a syringe on one side and Steve with his fangs on the other, the doctor should be the one who's scared, right?

You know who else should be scared? Andy Bellefleur should be scared. Daughter 1, Daughter 2, Daughter 3, or Daughter 4 may be at risk, now that Bill’s smelled the teddy bear that’s probably oozing with their fairy smell (a weird thematical call back to Warlo smelling Sookie’s bandaid in the backseat of her parent’s car). So maybe Andy’s middle-aged man drama will finally serve a purpose to the storylines we watch with our eyes fully open, that would be a first.

So all in all: I’m actually really excited about the overarching conflicts—the “outing” of weres and shifters, the place of supes in society, and the relentless persecution of vampires. I’m EQUALLY invested in watching Bill and Eric’s separate attempts to solve them (kidnapping and blackmail, kidnapping and fairy-blood synthesis). Right now, Sookie has actually sort of alienated herself on tiresome plotline island, but luckily she’s sharing it with Rutger Hauer so it’s actually not even that tiresome. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? [Smash cut to edgy rock song with thematic tie in. ]

QUESTIONS:

... Is Jason dying this season or what?

... Are you excited or shrugging about Mrs. Newlin’s return? Is she valuable only for her costume potentiality?

... Who put the bug up Sookie’s ass and will it thrive or suffocate?

... Andy’s daughters: four little vampire Capri Suns waiting to happen?

... Is Eric going to kill the dicknotized Willa or no way Jose?

... Alexander Skarsgard basically glamours people all day everyday in real life, right?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/24/2014

Season 7 : Episode 10

219 Comments
Comments (211)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Is Bill now a charmed one?
Flag

"if you hate your wooden ex-wife so much just kill her, Steve. Use your superfast vampire skills to whip across the room and snap her neck. I’m not sure what tomfoolery explains why Steve Newlin is such a docile captive; he doesn’t appear to be suffering a UV bullet or silver injections. In a room where there's a doctor with a syringe on one side and Steve with his fangs on the other, the doctor should be the one who's scared, right?"

Preeeetttty sure he had silver handcuffs on....you did watch the episode, yes?
Flag
Staff
Eh if you watched seasons 5 & 4 there is PLENTY a vampire can do even with silver contact. Remember Jessica going to meet the sun even with silver chains draped all over her? Remember Eric and Bill busting out of the trunk of a car despite being covered with a silver net? A pair of dinky silver handcuffs should be an inconvenience to the range of his arm motion at best.
OH WAIT BOTH OF US ARE WORSE THAN NERD GUY FROM SIMPSONS FOR HAVING HAD THIS CONVERSATION AT ALL GOOD DAY SIR.
Flag
Jessica was possessed by a Witch's spell, and Eric and Bill are a lot more powerful than Steve Newlin (assuming they busted out on their own from sheer force of will).
Flag
Staff
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Ehhh Ben is boring, I don't care if he's holding a dust pan, he's some transparent and obvious romantic plot device just tossed in there it feels like.
Flag
Him suddenly being Warlo doesn't really make me feel much different, I'm still waiting for Sookie to fall for a badass vampire hunter who has a good head on his shoulders and some vampire friends despite being tasked to hunt them and werewolves and stuff......because yeah, that's my plot idea :P .
Flag
you said Luna, but I think you meant Emma. But also, I agree that the only thing I was thinking while Sam was rescuing her was how inappropriate it was that he was naked in front of that little girl.
Flag
I have not real all of the comments but I know I'm not the only one that can see that Ben and Warlow are the same person. Right...?
Flag
They're trying so hard to make it look like he is that I'm starting to suspect that he isn't.
Flag
I missed these reviews.
Flag
This season is a bit lacking of sense of adventure except for a little touch here and there. Just 10 episodes and we watched 3 already...a very short season , i expect a very action packed story development and less useless subplots.
I really want Pam to go back to her previous sassy self, i just don´t understand why they made her so painfully bitter, she´s never been like that plus i expected the whole Pam/Tara thing gonna be epic (Tara finally being all awesome and moving from her former pathetic self) but they both seem marginal characters now.
About the fairy hunk, he´super hot but i found him totally unnecesary ...frankly i don´t know why they always gotta give Sookie a love interest by force, is just so out of place and it´s getting old, i know she´s a fairy but honestly: Bill, Sam, Erik, Alcide AND now this guy? She´s not that hot.
Erick is just awesome this season, i love the way he is willing to do anything to survive and stop the genocide, i think he and Bill are in the same page and i want them to team up eventually. Jessica is just great too she´s probably one of the strongest characters this season, her character seem to grow and grow.
About Jason i really think there´s something happening to him: allucinations, now some kind of seizure, Is he turning into something else? Is he fatally sick? I found him funny but his character is stuck and i hope they come out with something good this season for him.
I want more Lafayette, he´s one of the best secondary characters and in many levels superior to most of the main characters. He´s a witch i hope him to use his powers and serve some awesomeness. About Sam, well i like Sam but he´s just pointless this season...the werewolves too , they feel forced into the storyline, i wouldnt mind the occasional cameo but this season should be about the vampires and secondly the fairies/Warlo thing...other creatures are out of place. The show is great still but you can feel the actors a bit less enthusiastic and kinda tired somehow.
More+
Flag
I know finding logic amidst this crazy show is sometimes pointless but why are Andy's kids growing so fast and yet Sookie has a normal development cycle?

I suppose she just got the human growth gene and they all got the fairy one?
Flag
Andy's kids are full fairies. Half faes grow at Sookie's and Hunter's rate, the fact they grow faster means Andy's girls are more fae than human.
Flag
So Andy is fae too?
Flag
It's more likely he's not the father...
Flag
Also did anyone else wonder why if Sookie's royal blood is so amazing to Warlo, why the big king granddad fairy doesn't seem high on his list of priorities.

Again I know this show doesn't really have to hold to logic but I'd be interested to hear some theories/explanations.
Flag
I recall some bit of fairy mythology (which I am not well versed on) about female fairies being more valuable because they carry the fairy gene more (or something). This may explain why Andy's daughters who are 50% fairy (vs. I think Sookie is only 1/8th) are growing so fast? I've also wondered if the rapid growth is related to the different way time works in Faeryland vs. Bon Temps (Sookie lost a year while she was away for a few minutes)

I think both Warlo and Niall want Sookie to breed more fairies, Warlo just to have more fairy juice and Niall to have royal descent... Apart from being 1/8th fae, Sookie has some special fae quality I think that is somehow rare or special...
Flag
love this season so far!!! Loved the review...keep it up :))
Flag
Random: I think Jason is finally turning into a panther. Although they threw that plot line by the wayside awhile back, they seem to be addressing some of those loose ends and this seems like one of them.
Flag
I'd be game for that happening!
Flag
I am SO sure that Ben is some sort of embodiment of Warlo in Fairy/Human form. Points:
- Warlo's Blood shone with similar light that Fairy's carry
- Ben immediately knowing Warlo upon encountering Sookie's grandfather...
- Nora mentioned something about 'rising from the light' in the V bible... and then she's right where Ben was...
Flag
No objections from me on the emphasizing on Eric's dark and dangerous charm! Eric is pretty much the most interesting thing in the show, by far. Of course, looking at you like that, there's no need for glamouring - you'd do what he wanted anyway. Good remark about Willa representing the easily seduced girlish innocence that Sookie has now clearly lost.

Sookie's character is allover the map these past few seasons, she changes morals, values, friends, enemies, lovers and behaviours so quickly it's hard to think of her as a solid character anymore. Pam and Tara have been reduced to screen decorations. That's a shame. Alcide has been reduced into a douche, also a shame. Sam, Arlene, Terry, Lafayette, Holly and pretty much every secondary character in the show isn't given anything to do so far.

Loving the fairy godfather (Rutger Hauer ftw), Jason as a comic relief, the renewal of the intense dramatic relationship between Bill and Jessica, the upgrading of Jessica's part. Ben is also cool! The war between humans and vampires gives an adventurous edge. I'm also glad the Starsky and Hutch thing between Bill and Eric is over, partnership between these two was starting to become graphic.
More+
Flag
This show is the most entertaining show out there! I just love each and every episode!!
Flag
When they should the blood shimmering it made me think that maybe Warlo and Ben were one in the same....
Flag
I thought it would have been awesome if Bill just burnt alive in the sun, and that was it, he was dead. Then I realised as much as I love True Blood, its not filling the void of Game of Thrones.
Flag
Indeed... I'd like to see that Red Woman kick Bill's ass... She could probably get rid of Niall, Warlo and Governor Burrell before breakfast... Awww. miss GoT....
Flag
So Ben is really Warlo in disguise right? Right?
Flag
If not Warlow, then at least some sort of half fae progeny of his.

Ben is iffy at best IMO.
Flag
Thats what I was thinking too.
Flag
Me too!
Flag
By the way, I really missed Arlene and Terry. lol
Flag
This review, while not too shabby, glossed over almost all serious discussion in favor of quips on various actors'/characters' attractiveness. What I'd rather cover, especially on the topic of Eric and his captive, is the horrendously uncomfortable opening scene in which he threatens to "tear" Willa up (in a literal rape way). I was flabbergasted by how gross Eric became in that moment. I 100% understand his predatory nature and the fact that he's trying to save his kin and enact vengeance on the Governor. But shoving his fingers into a hypnotized victim whilst asking if she's "daddy's girl" and questioning whether her father would be upset if he "tore (her) up down there" really served no purpose and had me grimacing with the ick. I felt it was very un-Eric. Furthermore, it made the character of Willa out to be some misogynistic horror of an incarnation - a girl who, no, isn't like S1 Sookie. S1 Sookie was drawn to the dark sex appeal of the vampires, sure, but she would not have been hopelessly turned on by sexual assault and kidnapping and death threats, nor would she have wanted to lick the ear blood of said predator.

Ben's incredibly hot (at least IMO), sure, but let's talk about what the hell might be up with him. The suspicious coincidences just keep on coming. Because really, we're supposed to believe that he's been wandering around the fairy club area this whole time since last episode and Warlo just surpassed his scent to kill all the other fairies and leave him be? And how did he immediately know who Warlo is? While we're on Sookie's storyline, why was Nora scoping out her house and spying on her? Did she put something together in the vampire bible (reading it was the last thing we saw her doing before leaving for this errand) and then connect it to Sookie?

The entire werewolf plot/existence is awful, but I'd like to mention the (albeit aggressive) competency of Alcide's girlfriend vs the seeming utter incompetency of Alcide. Alcide has indeed become quite a dick all of a sudden, though it can be explained a bit by the fact that he killed and ate the packmaster and is expected to take up those reigns. He doesn't seem to know how to "govern" properly, his only general idea being that it means being an entitled bastard and ordering people around. The girlfriend though, whose name I can't remember (#1 Bitch!), shows good instincts and acts on them without hesitation. She's shown to keep a lookout for the pack, warn them, force Emma to turn to keep them safe, demand the dumbass LA kids turn in all the evidence they've collected, and attacks to exterminate their threat. Remind me again why she's not alpha-in-charge? Not saying that I want any more werewolf stuff at all ever, but if we have to I'd rather she get the screentime and Alcide kindly fuck in the direction of off. I've never seen such a useless oaf of a character. He's the worst example of popularity for the sheer sake of hunkiness.

All in all I enjoyed the episode well enough, despite that opening Eric scene (I had to skip it on the rewatch it was so casually repulsive) and the werewolf garbage. Even though it didn't feel like it there really were some big developments. Sookie and Bill seem to have officially cut ties for realsies (which, btw, I think was laid at the foot of her fear of Lilith's blood and his pushy/abusive behavior paired with incredibly bad timing to be making any demands on her whatsoever). Sookie also now seems to have some sort of Knights Guard in the halfling Ben, who understands her royal status even better than she does. The Fairy King showed off some pretty badass and intriguing abilities with all the teleportation, more effective hand laser-ing, and blood memory skills. Tara may very well have broke away from her new vampire family to take matters into her own hands with the Governor's daughter. The vampire death camp was more fully revealed, and gleefully connected to past villains with Mrs. Fellowship of the Sun. And, finally, Bill is coming for Andy's daughters - his own descendants (as Andy reminds us, he and Bill are distant family). I can't help but feel they're in terrible danger even if practically he need only take a sample and leave them safe and intact. It just doesn't seem that that's the way he's going to go about it though, backed by both next episode's preview and the fact that he apparently doesn't care about asking and making arrangements. He's on the hunt. Which is where he and Warlo really match up now. Both are the ultimate unstoppable bullies who will use as they please and without consideration of the "lesser beings". Bill might feel like good ol' Bill from the beginning of the series but he's more truly a vampire than he's ever been. Now wonder the fucker still burned.

More+
Flag
I agree it was an uncomfortable thing to watch but in my opinion a 1000 yr old vampire (most vampires I guess) would do this and much worse esp. when they're threatened with genocide by a serious power like Burrell.

To me TB is also having fun at ridiculing the 'nice vampires' of Twilight... In addition to whatever TB wants to achieve with the Burrell's storyline, to me Willa is living Bella's in alternative (darker & more realistic IMO) timeline...
Flag
Most vampires bite people. That doesn't really have anything to do with finger raping someone while calling them daddy's girl and threatening to tear their vagina up. That's never been Eric's style or typical of vampires in general. It wasn't "adult" or "realistic" or marking True Blood's badassery as opposed to tween fiction. It was just plain gross and misogynistic and weird, fueled all the more, like I mentioned, by Willa's absurd and insulting characterization.
Flag
I agree and disagree, its not like the Eric of recent seasons but early Eric was much more into the violence, he had a girl chained in his basement just to come down and rapid speed shag whenever he felt like it. He also held Lafayette down there and although didn't really mess him up the other captives weren't so lucky.
Flag
His early viciousness is true, but that answer dismisses all of his character growth over the course of the entire show and still doesn't line up even with his early incarnation. The girl in the basement, Yvette, was his willing partner simply going along with (or perhaps even initiating herself for all we know) the kinky style of it. Lafayette and the others who were tortured were done so for their their own direct involvement in breaking vampire laws. Willa is entirely innocent, as Eric himself states, but he is still bent on hurting her for the sake of revenge. Fine. That's all well and good. But the MANNER in which he goes about it is pure needless misogyny. He toys with her, mocks her, assaults her. Things her "daddy" will never know about but just serves to degrade and terrify her. Let's please not excuse this. I'm not rallying against horror tropes or violence or vampires being vampires. I wouldn't be a fan of this show or HBO in general if I was. I'm just calling this one specific scene out of line, as well as the review for only speaking about its "sexiness".
Flag
"I should say not. I don’t see a kitchen,"
- Turn into wolf, rabbit. No kitchen needed
"I don’t see a bathroom,"
- Turn into wolf, use woods. No bathroom needed
"I don’t even see a galvanized steel tub for “standing baths.” What the hell?"
- Turn into wolf, use outside hose. No bath needed
I dont really see the problem with a bed being the only place a wolf needs covered.
Flag
Staff
But to a police officer unaware of weres...this place looks like a hidey hole for stolen children.
Flag
You'd think with vampires, fairies, werewolves, and shape shifters, it would be pretty easy to come up with a half-way decent storyline and tolerable script.

More and more I feel like I'm gasping for air waiting for the "wow" moments in each episode, but am surrounded by cold silent darkness that threatens to snuff the life out of what used to be a great show.

Flag
I think there is some half-way decent stuff, it's just few and far in between.
Flag
I agree.

It seems like the writers and some of the actors are not as into it compared to previous seasons.
Flag
Seriously!! Whenever Alexander Skarsgard is on screen I think to myself: Must focus on scene....Must not get Dicknotized by Eric!!
Flag
Bill: why didn't you think about this like a gazillion seasons ago to synthesize fairy blood?
Flag
Maybe one of his new superpowers is average intelligence.
Flag
that didn't work out when he stepped into the sun did it...
Flag
Good point. He did at least stay within running distance of the door, but it would have made a lot more sense to start by opening the door a little and exposing one hand to sunlight for a second.
Flag
That's exactly what I thought!
Flag
:')))
Flag
i was happy for a new season, but is been kind of boring right? tell me im not the only one
Flag
I thought the second episode was pretty good, but the first one and this one were definitely boring.
Flag
The writing's better than it has been in a while, I think, but there are certain threads that really do need to speed up. I'm immensely intrigued by the Warlo/fairy storyline (if only for the fact that it's intrinsically connected to our heroine) but they're very intent on dragging it out apparently. When will we meet him? When will we know what the hell he really wants and why (Niall's answer of "because you're royalty" isn't really one)? The werewolves and shifters and all things related to them have always been incredibly useless, unrelated, and boring but I guess that's here to stay. If they don't get that no one cares about them by now they never will.

I think things will pick up once the Warlo, Billith, and vampire death camp business all gets into full swing. That's a lot of apparent action on the horizon.
Flag
Not the only one. I kept my finger on the FF button for the most part.
Flag
"For some reason the werewolves, including suddenly horrible Alcide, are dead-set on raising Luna in a 4’ x 8’ shed with a double bunk bed (grandma sleeps on top, or... ?) in the middle of the forest."

"Sam used the moment to save Luna, a young child, while naked."

Just a note to point out in the article above that "Luna" is the mother of Emma, not Emma herself!

Flag
Staff
THANK YOU.
Flag
I hope the whole Jason being sick thing is him finally turning into the were-panther we all thought he would seasons back.
Flag
Eh... It'd be weird for the change to be so delayed and the hallucinations (or ghosts) of his vampire-hating parents to be involved. Besides, do we really want any more creatures in the story? There are very few humans left.
Flag
Just a few things:
Jessica looked so good in that School girl outfit, after 5 seasons Lafayette can still make me laugh, and Andy with with Fairy his fairy children are the highlight of the show now.
Flag
She looked a lot better in what she was wearing before she changed into that. That lipstick and those false eyelashes took her far down uncanny valley. Also, even if the professor is into that sort of thing, she still wouldn't *need* any of that stuff.

I agree about Andy.
Flag
Agreed on Andy but I like Jason's character and lol I just noticed all the grammar mistakes in my comment.
Flag
Yea never understood Lily's intense hatred for Andy, I loved him and Jason together.
I just enjoy Franky Sabotka....I mean Andy
Flag
I like Andy too! I thought he was pretty annoying in the first few seasons, but I've grown to like him! I think he is better this season because he is not paired up with Jason. I seriously hate Jason...... =.=
Flag
Why doesn't Eric just turn Willa? That seems to me the easiest solution and the best way to make her dad change his tune.
Flag
Eric has lived 1000+ years and only changed one person in all that time, and even then he was pushed into it. He seems to regard it as a very serious action, akin to actual parenthood. His loyalty, love and duty to his vampire kin runs deep. I actually can't see him hate-turning someone to be used as a pawn. Logical solution, yes, but out of character. And (well-written) characters must always do what they would really do rather than just what is objectively, technically the most correct or practical option.
Flag
The Governor hates vampires: fear of turning his daughter works far better on him than turning her altogether.
Flag
what we're all thinking i guess.
Flag
Just cancel this porn already! It's one of the worst shows around and it's about time it died.
Flag
Clearly your captors holding you hostage and forcing you to watch this show and have no sense of remorse. We'll all send our prayers out to comfort you while the rest of us enjoy watching it!
Flag
You're hilarious
Flag
Isn't Steve Newlin handcuffed in what I would presume to be silver?
Flag
Yes, I thought so.
Flag
Emma looks like my husky (as a puppy) I use to have so I love Emma as a puppy.

Eric is fantastic as always--yep Eric or just Alex when not in character would have me glamoured.

Best scene--arrogant Bill (or Billith) bursting in the flames and I burst into laughter that my wish was actually granted.

I still think the 1/2 fey kids are going to play a vital role this season. I wonder how long until they are adults.

Last week I was convinced that Ben was Warlo but now it seems so obvious that I'm starting to second guess myself and think this is a red herring (if this show does red herrings).

I think the Big Bad will be the guy who said last week he wasn't the big bad (the governor or whatever his title is; aka Willa's dad) and Warlo.

I think Jason maybe feeling the death of the fairies or maybe some other supernatural alarm detector. I know he never had one before but I think something supernatural MAY be going on.

Alcide had a great body but his character is boring and I want the werewolves to get interesting or go away (and leave my puppy with Sam). If they don't get interesting soon then they need to leave town or die.

More Lafayette and less Tara. I like Tara but she gets annoying at times.

I still want Sam to turn into a dinosaur or a wooly mammoth or.....

This season is off to a great start!!
great review~love the humor.
More+
Flag
I loved that LaFayette said before you turn into a bear or sth. Why doesn't he? there are plenty of animals out there that could whoop a wolf's ass.
Flag
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that unintentionally funny scene to be fucking hilarious! "Look at me, I'm in the su...OH SHIT I'M BURNING!
Flag
I lol'd too :))
Flag
best and funniest scene. I was so happy and thought it was freakin' hysterically funny! I was hoping it would happen and then it did (who says wishes never come true)...lol
Flag
The onamonapia should be "old car horn", not "trumpet sound"...
Flag
onomatopoeia
Flag
Right, thank you.
Flag
Its really hurting me to say this bc I love Pam soooo much.. but PAM.... sis. Please un-clench and take this annoying ass jealously and cry baby type behavior somewhere else. We're not on a fast forward level yet.. but gurllll. Gone somewhere with that.
Flag
Honestly I do not get where the writers got the idea of Pam's extreme jealousy from (tempted to think they pulled it off their own asses) or why they think this is a good plot. Pam's connection to her maker with both being immortal is the stuff of centuries so it makes no sense for her to be jealous because Eric would have a temporary tryst (be it some months, years or decades - we're talking creatures who live centuries). I do not even recall jealousy being her main problem in Season 4 but more ensuring Eric's safety both when he was cursed and later when he stupidly offered to die for Sookie.

I hope the real Pam makes a reappearance soon and starts kicking ass...
Flag
AGREED! I love Pam and don't want anything bad to happen to her, but this is just too much. Even when she was jealous on season 4, she was still fun and entertaining. Now, she's just a btich without the Pam factor to back her up, so she's annoying instead of cool. If the new, new showrunner changes anything from these first 3 episodes, it should be restoring Pam to her former glory.
Flag
I guess its hard to be the vampire in the middle, Pam went from only child to balance maker and progeny roles, on top of a very nasty aunt-vampire, on top of losing the only home she has ever had.
Flag
I thought she was set free from Eric, why is she still listening to him, she doesn't have to..
Flag
She was freed, but her loyalty to him has always been more than formality or duty. She truly loves Eric. It might even be her most defining trait.
Flag
that's true, still isn't really working out for her - her pride is trampled every time. so there's not much left of our good ol' Pam.
Flag
The sexual revamping of sexual predatory skills in vampires was what really prevailed in this episode. From the male "glimmering" to Jessica's more classic approach. While you made very valid points in that respect in your review,Lily, I think that True Blood has been actually one sided in its attributions for seduction. Jessica's all dolled up appearance really tells us that female seduction is not really enhanced by being a vampire , since it is precisely classic. An "ugly" female vampire would not have succeeded in getting the professor's attention anymore than a vampire one. This applies equally to other female monsters as well, whether a female Frankenstein or a succubus, female monsters use the attires of female sexuality, maybe to it's ultimate but still within what I consider very narrow confines.
The male vampire can have it both ways. He can still seduce the classical way as your very excellent point on the sheer seduction of Skarsgard and his role as Eric being on equal footing to get his ways with women. However, "glimmering" can still have the same results even with a lesser attractive vampire towards the same women. One can take the dismissive "victorian patriarchal" route; but the fact of the matter is that it is not the gain for the male but the loss for the female vampire.
Vampires are by far a whole lot more sexist than their human counterparts.

The fairy plotline just doesn't add up and is really pretty lousy in advancing its case to us. If Sookie has royal blood, how come absolutely not a single fairy she has encountered so far has acknowledged this filliation. they all treated her as a half-blood, barely accepting her among their fold; and only then, to abuse her trust. Also, how convenient.
The whole Ben/Sookie issue is so badly introduced. I mean this Ben is always in the right place at the right time that it is extremely suspicious .Also, if Warlow is the vampire who attacked him, how come he's still alive? How come grandpa fairy doesn't find this fact very weird in the least?
I think Beauregard's daughters with their zapping will be able to prevent an initial assault from Bill at least long enough to prevent his having their blood. Despite, his reticenses, they are his daughters and the Sheriff will not take any such attack lighlty and will prove himself a formidable enemy to Bill.
So the changeling defence league were not even changelings, very intersting.
More+
Flag
Only thing good about that episode was the return of Wu to HBO! They have to give Keone Young's character at least one chance to call Bill a 'cocksucker'! Janina Gavankar 'Luna' was the only thing interesting about Sam's story and these dumb writers killed her off now he's back to useless.
Flag
Wait a minute... when did we get the format options here?? Just saw them! :)

Everything points out at that Ben guy being Warlo but one doesn't understand so many things... just for starters, why is he not taking Sookie and leaving? just a red herring, then?
Flag
it was strange tho that he didn't find the field of his own people and took him JUST after rutger hauer arrived to get there? it's def suspicious. maybe not Warlow, but maybe someone being controlled by him? I dunno but don't trust him.
Flag
With each new episode I lose interest in True Blood a little more; um... what happened to my show, sure it had too many characters and you kind of give Sookie being Sookie the eye roll but it worked (Most of the time)

The new show runner has no idea what the hell he is doing in my opinion, Lafayette and Tara get one scene each, Pam seems to have forgotten that she's a queen bitch not an Eric groupie, Eric seems to have forgotten his connection with Pam as his progeny. Sookie isn't being Sookie; she just telling everyone to go away every episode. When Sookie is always right in the middle of shit when it's about to go down.

All my favorites do not have a story line this year and it's only ten episodes so what's the writers waiting on? Lafayette, Tara and Pam are basically extras, Jessica is used to give Bill somebody to talk too; she has no love interest or story of her own. Eric seems meaner this season and is acting like a vampire you'd see in an old Dracula movie. The were wolves are basically useless and Sam and Andy have reduced rolls, they get two scenes per episode unlike Lafayette, Tara and Pam that get one.

The things that seem obvious to me:
Ben is Worlo; this episode proved it. I thought he was Worlo last episode and now after she sent him to the Fairy camp they all turn up dead. (Coincidence I think not)

Sookie isn't going to use that fairy ball of light that will take away her powers to kill Worlo; She's going to use it on Bill at the end of the season; which will probably rid him of Lilith's blood. I knew it was going to be used on Bill the moment they said she can only use it once on a vampire.

Journee Smollett character is Sam's next doomed love interest and Luna's mom isn't dead

Possible Season Finale: All the supernaturals are outed creating panic with the outside world

More+
Flag
Luna was Emma's mother. Emma is the little girl. Seasons of True Blood run 12 episodes, not 10.
Flag
You're right normally TB runs for 12 eps but as Lettie said this season only 10 - I believe due to less time for shooting Anna Paquin who recently had twins
Flag
This particular season will only have 10 episodes...
Flag
True Blood keeps me entertained and that is good enough for me.
Flag
-Maybe. If he wants a movie career...
-Yeah, why not...
-It will suffocate, as new stranger dude melts her heart...
-Oh yeah!!!
-No way Josefina!
-My strong intuitive skills tell me: I think you may have a crush on this actor...
Flag
SHIeeeeeeeeeT,Shit,shit, i wrote a comment about 2 pages long, but because i am just straight unlucky, my stupid laptop shut down for mysterious reasons(My Laptop hating me - i can't blame him he didn't have a moment of sleep in weeks, maybe more with more than a 100 tab open in FF and ALOT of processes running in the same time -) but because i am rally smart i have a special Addon for Firefox(Lazarus) that saves everything i write safe for me in case of any bad thing happening, but because i am really unlucky the only form and text editor that doesn't work with this addon apparently is the new comment editor used in the communities, so 30+ minutes of writing gone to waste just because of bad luck :(
Flag
I enjoyed your review
It is an interesting twist on a normal viewpoint for the general review template.
I am particularly taken with this Mr Lap Top character, the air of mystery that surrounds him is intriguing - obviously evil, but is he a vampire, a werewolf or a witch!

ANNNNND BACK TO REALITY-
You may want an external cooler for your laptop if your are running it constantly
Flag
with all them 100 tabs on, maybe a virus.A philosophical question of great import: Do computer viruses qualify as information vampires?
Flag
Will, they do drain process from computers CPUs, but they also reproduce and breed like rabbits, so..... Werewolves???
Flag
or wererabbits
Flag
yep,I'll go with that.LOL
Flag
Hahaha, i have a cooler, i just don't like using it, the problem is the laptop wasn't "hot" technically speaking, it just shut down with absolutely no reason -that i can think of-, it just suddenly wheew, black screen with the laptop 100% down no lights no leds no sound no nothing, but i can summarize my two pages comment with these things:
- Ben is Warlo, more than one page dedicated for proving that BEN IS WARLO, i was 99.995% sure that he was Warlo the first time i saw him, and after the last episode i became 1000% sure of that for a lot of reasons, which you will never know because i am lazy and because of "Mr Lap Top" :(
- Me liking the scene where Bill is on fire :)
- A few other points that i can't remember because i have a really bad memory when it comes to anything that doesn't really interest me, and because of "Mr Lap Top".
Flag
what happened here?
Flag
#1 scene was Jessica as schoolgirl

#2 (and a close #2) was Bill's dramatic sun bit. A whole big thing about how he will survive, and the clue was there in the his dream, etc. Followed by OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT when he catches on fire.

I had to watch BOTH scenes multiple times, for different reasons

Runner up, I have to say Andy's scenes. Saying how he's just using numbers instead of names, and screaming about "No Laser Hands!" HA!
Flag
This show could be great again but it needs to lose three to four stories. First and foremost the wolves. Now that Russell is no more, there is literally nothing for them aside from keeping Alcide around for the ladies. And they are devolving his character with ever second of screen time he is given.

Second, is Tara. Now initially I was all for the whole Tara and Pam thing, I thought it would bring new fun for the show. But it doesn't. Tara as a vampire, likely because she was a previous character, violates every rule we know and were given from the writers. Tara can apparently violate her maker's wishes, Tara is equally as strong or stronger than older vampires (the fight last season with Jessica), Tara talks back to not only her maker but some of the oldest vampires like Eric. She weakens Pam's gravitas on the show, Pam was one of the strongest characters of the series, but seems incapable of controlling her progeny.

Third, kill Jason. I swear half of the words he has said thus far in the season have been Warlo. And they reduced an already simple minded character into an I really don't know what. I think they made him dumber if that was possible.

Maybe Fourth, Sookie. I am sorry I just can't stand the character anymore. I have never really seen the appeal aside from that she had fairy blood. But I realize she is the center of the show. But put her back into the center. This hole thing with Warlo just seems annoying and her replacement fairy Ben for Alcide is kind of annoying. And he is probably Warlo.

The best parts of this season are Eric vs the governor and anything involving Jessica. If they focused on that or even just tossed out the wolves to give more time to flesh those stories out it would be great.

?'s

I really hope so. Or at least give him a girl to have sex with.

She had really high hair. But she is fun and brings a levity to the whole concentration camp.

I am not sure she has a bug. She doesn't know what Bill is, she is scared and lashing out. Plus now there are almost a dozen fairy's running about. I would think Bill could find another. Which he did.

Probably.

Eric is likely going to make her a vamp. Since Pam has fallen so far he really needs a new one. Plus she is cute. However she kind of looks like his sister so that is kind of weird.

More+
Flag
Just a quick point. Eric fucks his sister, so it wouldn't be that weird.
Flag
True, but still kind of weird.
Flag
You are spot on about Eric and Jessica being the highlights of this season. Pam has always been a highlight on this show, but you know about her this season. I feel the writers have taken a big step back with her character and the Pam/Tara dynamic that was so great last year. However, I don't agree with Eric turning Willa, because that would make Pam even more jealous. It sounds like you are willing to accept Pam getting offed so Eric can make someone new. As much as Pam is frustrating me this season, I don't want to see her gone.
Flag
No I don't want Pam offed in the least, Pam can be redeemed. I want Tara offed. She should have died, well, when she died. But the writers and producers blinked when faced with killing off a beloved character. I would rather have Pam jealous and actively vindictive rather than whiny, annoying and not even having power over her progeny. Pam standing up to Eric and contradicting him in his dealing with the Governor would have been great. It however would have been more believable if she had a modicum of control over Tara, as she should per the rules of their universe. For me the character's main weakness is her dealing with Tara.

Eric turning Willa however, Pam was right, it is like Sookie all over again. Except they can turn Willa. Frankly I would like to see Eric with a new progeny. Because at least with that they can get back to a real progeny/ maker dynamic rather than the mess that currently exists with Pam and Tara. I just don't think they are going to kill Willa or return her to the Governor, she has already showed an inclination towards being a vampire.
Flag
Yeah, I also think new fairy dude is Warlo....somehow... It makes absolutely no sense with all we know about fairies and vampires (which makes it increasingly possible for this show).
Flag
I am not sure about that. Warlo seems able to create the portals that Granddad fairy can. He appeared out of no where on the bridge in the rain. And seemed to come out of nothing and the same portal in the bathroom. Plus Granddad fairy said he has chased him throughout time. Lilith is the first vampire. Warlo is her first progeny, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is/was human. Let's say he was the first fairy and Lilith turned him.
Flag
Interesting...
Flag
"... Is Jason dying this season or what?"

I honestly don't know. This is by far the worst concussion I've seen on th show.
Flag
I love how he shrugs the notion off like its just another hole-punch on his members card.
Flag
Also, there have been some suggestions here that the Governor's daughter may be turned by Eric. Sounds cool, but I know that would just result in Pam acting even more jealous, and I just can't take any more of this jealous and whiny Pam we've been getting this season. So yeah, I think it's not a good idea.
Flag
Actually I really liked this ep, and am quite enjoying this season so far. don't get me wrong - it still has problems but compared to last season it's Shakespeare! I like that Bill and Eric have their own shit going on that DOESN'T involve fighting over 'Sookie's fairy snatch' that whole 'Everybody is love with Sookie' thing was getting boring. I think Warlo has the potential to be an interesting and scary threat. I'm glad we are seeing more Layfayette - It's still not enough, but something is better than nothing. And I'm always pleased when Ginger makes an appearance - she is one of my favourite characters. I really felt for the poor girl - I'd be upset too if I was looking forward to a night of passion with Eric and ended babysitting Tara & Pam as well as some random human.
Some great lines as well this ep. I loved "out of my head number 3" but my favourite has to be "It's ok Ginger, I understand. You're stupid" LOL!!!!
The show is also showing more of the tongue in cheek humour that made me love it in the first place - the bit where 'Billith' got roasted was very satisfying.
I really think this season has potential - although I guess I should wait until the 'tone change' before I get too excited....
More+
Flag
On one hand, I like that this season is more coherent, and it looks like a lot of things will eventually tie together neatly. On the other hand, some of writing and characters are off. I feel like Eric and Jessica have been the winners of this season so far, and are both being utilized far better than they were last season. Pam is faring a little better, but this has not been her best season, and wind_shadow brought up a good point that's been bugging me. She was ready to give up the bar no problem last season to protect Tara, but now it suddenly means the world to her, and that's another example of TB's inconsistencies. Pam has avoided those for the most part, but this was written by Mark Hudis, and Pam tends to do out of character things on the episodes he writes. As far as Bill, I thought it was hilarious when he got burned. I was wondering what the hell was going on with Andy's babies, but now it looks like it serves a purpose. The Sam/Alcide thing is average and Sam is once again isolated from everybody else. I'm really enjoying Rutger Hauer, and I think they've been made it very obvious Ben is Warlow. Overall, I liked it, and I hope it continues to be more cohesive.
More+
Flag
Eric and Jessica have been great. I feel like Pam has been out of character because of Eric. Their whole relationship changed after that argument about Sookie back in season 4. Eric is always yelling at her now. They may share a moment from time to time, but that's usually after she gets fed up and flips out on him. I use to enjoy their scenes together, but not so much now.

If Ben isn't Warlow, then all those creepy looks and obvious pauses he makes, are a complete waste of time.
Flag
last week I thought Ben was Warlo but now that it seems obvious I wonder if it is a red herring...wait, does this show give us red herrings?

I also thought last week the 1/2 fey babies were going to be important and I still do. Any guess to how long until they are adults?
Flag
While I agree that the few visuals of Warlo have been appallingly poor, shark face included, but having Ben be Warlo, even in daylight just seems a ridiculous approach for no reason. Still, his randomly showing up at the most opportune moments lends way more credence than anything.
Flag
No I am not entertained!! ARGH. Was anyone else frustrated with this ep? I perked up last ep which had some encouraging good feels and lols, and it feels like we just regressed back again. To be fair, I'm not really eyerolling at this season's arc as I did during last season or season 2 - there are some interesting threats here and the characters are tackling them fairly actively (so that we're not stuck at the most boring underground board meeting ever) so kudos to all that. But on an individual level, all the characters seem pretty terrible at where they're at now. Bill is still the delusional jerk he was last season, Pam/Tara are wimps, Sookie is being pointlessly non commital to anything again, Alcide/Sam are even more boring than they were before. WHY.
I think Lily pretty much nailed it when she said Sookie refusing to help was undermining her previously established character. As it is, even if she wasn't emotionally invested, she was also one of the most meddlesome people in town, and now she's just permanently staying in? First she distanced herself from Eric, and now she's just disowning Bill and everyone's survival? And getting all fluttery eyed with Ben Flynn? I genuinely hope he's secretly evil because I really don't care about this pointless new character that's interfering with the existing. What is this show? What is the point if there are no more interactions with Sookie and the other characters? Sam and Alcide were only vaguely interesting because of their associations with Sookie, and now they are just stuck with each other in The New Worst Plotline Ever(tm). They did a good job to start with by finally killing off Luna, and now getting rid of the Saddest Fae Cirque Club, but I hope that doesn't just mean more time left to the wolves and Andy.
I'm interested to see how much impact the showrunner takeover makes from next episode on, if at all, we were off to a promising start and there's still plenty of eps left to make everything good again.
More+
Flag
So we have Ben that reacted very strangely to Sookie's blood. Then we have Niall pointing out that Warlo's blood reacting strangely to Fairy presence (he's never seen that before). We also have Ben acting a bit hesitant about going inside Sookie's place... perhaps suggesting that he won't go in "without an invitation" ?

So, Ben's Warlo... right? He's just hyped up on Fairy juice and that's why he can fool Niall
Flag
I thought Ben was Warlo last week but now it seems to obvious which leads me to doubts. Maybe I'm giving to much credit to the show...IDK.
Flag
I thought so too last week... either Warlo or someone working for him. It was too convenient to run into Sookie like that the morning after Warlo entered the world.

But after all of the stuff that we saw last night: either they're trying to trick us or they're just leaving clues.
Flag
I can't remember but has the show done "red herrings" before?
I think there were a bunch of us who suspected Ben was Warlo last week but I'm to use to shows with twists on top of twists. I think I am over thinking it in this case.

"leaving clues"---so obvious miami metro would be able to figure it out...that's why I am suspicious (or do they really think the viewer needs that many clues)...

lol, I've confused myself;-)
Flag
Don't forget the awkward pauses and quick camera shots to Ben whenever they mention Warlo...
Flag
I completely agree with you: Warlow = Ben.

There's no doubt about it IMO.
Flag
Allow me to introduce some doubt. (1) Ben walks around in the sunlight. Warlow is merely Lilith's spawn. Bill is Lilith's reincarnation and can't walk around in the sunlight. (2) Ben can read Sookie's thoughts and not even Bill can do that. (3) Niall didn't recognize him. Can these writers write that inconsistently? Of course, but I'm seeing reasonable doubt.
Flag
Warlo drank a LOT of fairy blood. We've seen a little fairy blood make vamps immune to the sun for a while. We've seen a lot of powerful fairy blood give Russel fairy powers (laser hands and others).

Who's to say that draining 12+ fairies wouldn't give him mind powers and sun-protection for a few days. As for Niall not recognizing... I considered that. Between him shaving and perhaps getting the Fairy camouflage ability (full fairies don't really look that human) maybe he looks different and thus fools Niall.
Flag
Possible, but that implies that fairy was lying there dying for a day since Sookie met him in the sun. Just saying there's room for doubt.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
>:-( <~~ my reaction after reading your comment for not piecing together this possibility on my own.
Flag
I was wondering about that every time Ben's face was on my TV.
Flag
Also ,how come Ben knew right away Niall was the Fairie's king?Did I miss something?
Flag
Because he's Warlow, obviously. Am I the only one who thinks its funny "Ben" survived the fairy slaughter and/or "Warlow" found the hideout so easily?
Flag
"... Andy’s daughters: four little vampire Capri Suns waiting to happen?"

Bill is so going to synthesize their blood instead of Sookie's, poor Andy.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members