A True Blood Community
HBO (ended 2014)

The biggest news—full-frontal nudity aside—to come out of True Blood's Season 6 finale on Sunday was that Alexander Skarsgard's Eric Northman might have perished. But we can all breathe a deep sigh of relief now, because executive producer Brian Buckner has confirmed to TV Line that Skarsgard will definitely be back for Season 7. Whew.

Now, what was that about full-frontal nudity? In case you gave up on True Blood years ago (and no one would blame you for that), or if you somehow missed the internet explosion over Eric Northman's wiener, Skarsgard did in fact go full-frontal for the final scene in which he was lounging nude on a mountaintop in Sweden—as you do—when Warlow's blood evaporated from his system and he burst into flames. Naturally, Buckner didn't go into detail about how Eric could possibly have survived that Alpine barbecue, but this is the same series that once devoted an entire season to stories about town-wide orgies, so I'm sure the creative team will come up with something.

Anyway, if you're wondering how the hell the writers convinced Skarsgard to bare it all, according to Buckner, he was all for it. Gotta love that man's, ahem, balls.

thekaitling:list:does-skarsgard-returning-make-you-more-inclined-to-watch-season-7/

And while you're here, why not share your own theories as to how Eric survived in the comments?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/24/2014

Season 7 : Episode 10

100 Comments
Comments (100)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I love this show! My theory about how Erik survived: Pam was very close when they lost their abilty to stand the sun. Because Pam is so much younger than Erik, she would've been able to stand the heat for a few seconds longer. She swooped in when she heard his screams, and grabbed him and burried them both underground.
Flag
I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! how much more can ya get from this fantasy! its awesome!! just when ya think someones dead, hes alive and well the next season!! no im not being a smart ass!! i absolutely love this show!! i couldnt have asked for a better way for my sunday nites to end! you just cant kill off a great character like eric!! then lets kill sookie if thats the case!! hes one of the top five important characters on the show! but who cares how erics gonna come back next season! hes comin back! face it! love em or hate em! if there were a character or two id kill of, it wouldnt be bill, eric, jason, sookie, or even hell, lafayette, just becuz he gives that show a certain laff i need! someone like, alcide or sam! 2 characters that bug my ass!! mind you, there were a couple of episodes i coulda voted to have sookie her taken off the show!! especially the "danger whore" episode, even warlow i wanted done at that moment! im really looking foraward how the new threat will take in bon temps next season!
Flag
Maybe he was reborn from his ashes, like a pheonix :P

Flag
I agree that "series regular" doesn't necessarily mean that Eric is alive and well. Buckner's comment about "behind the scenes reasons" implies that Alex Skarsgard might be doing a movie that conflicts with the shooting schedule, and they've filmed some flashbacks as a workaround while we wonder what happened for 4-5 episodes next summer?

I'm so glad he'll still be on the show, but I just don't buy that showrunner would give away the cliffhanger of a hit show 24 hours after the finale unless the HBO suits really got nervous from all the "If he's gone, I'm done" proclamations on the internets.
Flag
Maybe he'll dig himself into the snow. Or Pam will. Or she'll create an amvulance that will cover him up. And her for that matter.
Flag
I also thought of the snow thing! Seems reasonable..
Flag
Well! Glad to hear that Eric will be back, but still worried HOW (ghost, flashbacks, just for one episode that shows us how he actually dies....).

Random thoughts about the Eric-issue: Willa didn't act like he died (yet), she would feel it. How could Pam save him like some of you are suggesting - she'll burn in the sun, too. But maybe she sacrifices herself (another worse case how this situation could be solved). Don't know, we'll see.
Flag
A powerful witch appear with her/his own agenda!
Flag
To be fair Buckner has already clarified he never said that Eric was alive. He said Eric will be back as a Season Regular (doublespeak for not very much just enough to tease viewers). We've had Godric, Gran... etc. back after they died so... Eric's bodily situation in Season 7 stays open for now but hey, a whole year to speculate... priceless!
Flag
Eric did tell Jason to dream nice things. And there's always Pam's flashbacks to count on.
Flag
He doesn't need to be a ghost or vision to be a regular. If I recall correctly, a regular just means his name is in the credits, not that he necessarily appears on screen. Skarsgard could take half the season off to do a movie while Eric's charred body recovered, then be back full time for the second half of the season.
Flag
You are 100% right. Anything is possible... I was merely pointing out that the vague language they have used and their previous use of ghostly forms / dreamy forms etc. means Eric could return with a less solid body (though equally enjoyable for the viewer)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Ok.. Swedish barbecue.. His swedish meatballs barbecued :)
Flag
Surely he's just going to dig down under the snow?
Flag
Same thought I had the moment they show him out on the snow-bathing.
Flag
That's my guess, too.
Flag
I just hope he won't be back as a ghost.
Flag
Pam will save Eric.
Flag
not to be a debbie downer, but just because he is in season 7 that does not mean that he is still alive...
Flag
Arguably he's never been "alive" in the show (apart from the odd flashback to his pre-vampire days). :-) He'll either be buried in snow ... or saved by a fortuitous "total eclipse" ... depends what the writers are smoking that particular day.
Flag
WOEHOE!
Flag
I really enjoyed the last season, but I probably would have stopped watching if Eric had left. I just don't enjoy all the other elements of the show enough to keep watching. If Alexander Skarsgard ever leaves they better give us a proper Eric/Sookie storyline before he goes. I'm so sick of Sookie/Bill. The hints of a future Alcide/Sookie/Bill triangle in the finale were already boring me.
Flag

the show sucks now. just read the book series (it ended SO perfectly) and Eric is even better. every character is better actually, more interesting and even better looking. and Eric and Pam are funny, not weird and bitchy. and Eric never cuts off his beautiful long blond hair. they should have put that in Skarsgård's contract.

Flag
That's not what I heard. Sookie ends up with Sam and Eric becomes some sex slave!? I've heard nothing but bad things about not just the last book but the last few books.
Flag
One actor/character does not a TV show make.
Flag
True dat, (hank Moody quote intended) but he does make it a hell of a lot more interesting...............
Flag
I must be too groggy to follow what you are saying, because obviously Hank Moody makes Californication.
Flag
WOAH, ease up with the attitude. I was just quoting another show. Didn't know it was a crime.
Flag
Just gonna keep doubling down on your misinterpretations? Okay.
Flag
You are way too uptight for your own good.
Flag
Mate, consider yoga.
Flag
Huh? You quoted a quote that in the context implies the exact opposite of what it says. There is no and was no attitude and I still don't know which point you were trying to make. Just seeking clarification. Were you agreeing or disagreeing with the OP? Or something more subtle and ironic?
Flag
Yeah, by his logic The Sopranos didn't need Tony Soprano
Flag
That's a very different example.

Look at NYPD Blue, the show survived fine losing David Caruso, Jimmy Smits & Rick Schroder as partners to Andy Sipowicz but it never would have survived losing Dennis Franz (IMO), True Blood is a more balanced show in terms of actors/characters, possibly the only one the show wouldn't work without would be Sookie.
Flag
When you look like Alexander Skarsgard, I don't nudity is something to worry about. It's not like he's got anything to be ashamed of. And besides, considering all they've done on that show, full frontal isn't exactly scandalous. Game of Thrones has had male and female full frontal since season 1.
Flag
Agreed - they guy's hot but the fuss made over this is just silly...
Flag
He will be back, but how ? Still as main character or will he be back in visions, in memories, as a ghost... I'm not convinced.
Flag
Alexander is Swedish - nudity is NBD there, so I'm not surprised he's fine with doing full frontal
Flag
specially with a body like his;-)
Flag
Eric burrows into the snow.
Flag
I'm glad he is going to survive, but I bet that because of this he will have a very painful sunburn and will be forced to stay naked for all of the next season.
Flag
I think one thing to think about is that Willa Burrell is Eric's progeny and she would no doubt have a strong connection to her maker. However, after the scene where Eric burst into flames it showed Willa at that gathering at what used to be Merlotte's Bar. She showed absolutely no sign of despair and seemed to not even have a clue he may even be in any danger. I think if he died, it would have showed through her.
Flag
Unless he comes back as a ghostly vision, or in flashbacks... I mean, I wouldn't say "Alexander is going to be in Season 7" automatically means Eric won't be dead. But we can all hope.
Flag

I thought it was interesting that he said Skaasgard would be a series regular but didn't mention Eric. And then I. Thought flashbacks too similar to Fritz, I think that's the name, in Highlander

Flag
That Alex's cock constitutes in itself True Blood's season finale says a lot about the show
Flag
If you saw Skarsgard on Conan then it sounds about right that he was up for the nudity. Probably reminds him of his dad.
Flag
Also, he confirms that Lettie Mae is NOT trying to poison Tara.
Flag
Woah...he actually CONFIRMED that? Interesting...but I guess if she in fact wasn't poisoning her it was probably a good idea to set the record straight.
Flag
That's too bad. She really needs to die.
Flag
Like we had any doubt There would have been rioting in the Streets! Runs on congress! Bra's and Underwear burninngs! The Producers ain't stupid lol
Flag
I don't even watch the show, but is anybody else thinking that maybe he just comes back in flashbacks or something? Are there not flashbacks? I don't know. Seems kind of odd that he would come back from having, ahem, BURNED TO DEATH. Just a thought.
Flag
Dreams! Even dead he could be in Sookie's head. Or, should I say, "truly" dead as opposed to "walking" dead. No, wait, that's another creature. Undead, I should say. Oh, frak it ...
Flag
Your logic makes my brain hurt, sir. Kudos. :)
Flag
Ha yea if you watched it you'd realise that burning to death in this sort of show does not mean he's gone.
The logic of the world is completley all over the place but ah well I still find it entertaining even with the pretty terrible finale.
Flag
But possibly only flashbacks, right? I know that's happened in other shows (*cough* Game of Thrones *cough*). I think it's worth considering.
Flag
I'm curious what Game of Thrones character are you referring to?
Flag
It HAS happened in other shows though.
Flag
That's a good question. I honestly have no idea. Sorry for the confusion.
Flag
Didn't Bill burn to death in the first season? And Sookie says something like "I thought you were dead" and he says "I was. But I got better"? Or was that another show ...

Flag
I don't even watch the show but I think True Blood is the only show where a character named Bill can burn to death and get better, and a character named Sookie will worry about said character named Bill. Just a thought.
Flag
In my head, Vizzini always responds by saying, 'INCONCEIVABLE!!' and Inigo just shakes his head. Sometimes he jerks a thumb toward Vizzini and mouths 'do you believe this guy?' to Fezzik. Alas…
Flag
You keep saying that. I do not think that word means what you think it means ...
Flag
The finale was not good, but I liked a lot of what Brian had to say.
Flag
I'm very happy that Alex/Eric will be back :D TB wouldn't be the same without him. However, Eric not being in Sookie's world any longer and off with Pam in their own SL why not do a spin-off? It be awesome! Love my Eric <3
Flag
Maybe he runs into a cave or hides under the snow!
Flag
Remember the last episode of Season 1 where Bill walks through the sun like a burnt wiener to rescue sookie. and that other super vamp, whatshisname? he took a few rays of sun as well. so my theory is pretty simple: the older you are the longer you last. considering eric is older than bill he will take a a pretty good sunburn and be rescued by pam in the end.
Flag
Then again remember how quickly Godrick atomised? Somehow that made me feel that it was they other way around... Bill being pretty young could stay a little longer in the sun, Erik on the other hands has to be one of the oldest by now. Maybe he'll be back as Erik the ghost (lame).
Flag
could depend on an even or uneven number of years lived...
Flag
I truly laughed out loud with that "just when I thought I was out..."
Flag
I put my theory somewhere in Lilly's finale review but I'm happy retype it here too.
We only saw Eric burst into flames; we didn't see him die, so I figured the moment the scene changed, he probably burrowed into the ice in a feral panic & slipped into torpor (vamp hibernation) to begin healing the damage.

& also:
There's no way that Pam could make a miraculous 11th hour save because A) she's no longer connected to him & therefore couldn't pinpoint his location no matter how much she wants to. B) also because of her release, there's no way she would know the danger he was in at that exact moment & C) even if she somehow magically knew where to find him, how the hell would she be able to keep from becoming undead BBQ herself since Warlow's blood wore off & affected all the vamps simultainiously?
Flag
I find it ridiculous that anyone actually thought the writers would ever kill off Eric in the first place, especially like that.
Flag
I would not think that they would kill him like this neither, but killing Eric wouldn't be surprising on its own. This guy goes for big stardom, and he will fly away sooner than later. I'm glad to hear that he will still be around, though :)
Flag
Pam's got his back, she will aerive just in the nick of time with a big SPF100 blankie and save his (rather nice) ass!
Flag
Why didn't he just immediately book it to the shaded area? It looked like it wasn't that far from him. Or bury himself in the snow until darkness fell... It makes more sense than Pam miraculously saving him on the other side of the world just in time. But then again, True Blood hasn't been one to have sensible plot lines.
Flag
My thinking is Pam got to him in time. If he died, I would have dropped this show so fast!!!! Thank goodness True Blood wasn't that crazy to kill him!
Flag
Pam is burning herself and I don't think she's stronger than Eric. But yeah... that shouldn't stop the writers from going with it.
Flag
My lust for Eric Northman has been unequivocally ruined because of the previous two seasons. However, I would hate to have his character go out like that, he definitely deserves a better ending/exit.
Flag
Now I can sleep at night!!!!! THANK YOU FOR POSTING.
Flag
Gods can not be killed,it's simple really:D
Flag
Especially viking ones!
Flag
Well, Godric fried, but then again, he wanted to.
Flag
I thought Godric was Celtic or Gaul, the only reason he found Eric was because the Roman empire caught up with him.
Flag
Aren't they all considered Germanic? Okay, I'll have to look that up.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members