A True Blood Community
HBO (ended 2014)

On Sunday, HBO's long-running vampire drama True Blood officially met the sun—but instead of going out in a spectacular burst of light, it limped along toward a slow death reminiscent of Amilyn's (Paul Reubens a.k.a. Pee-Wee Herman) in the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie. Jessica and Hoyt tied the knot, Eric and Pam got rich, and Sookie ended up pregnant by an unknown beardo. Oh, and Bill committed suicide and Sookie helped him do it. It was a largely boring hour full with a disgustingly poor message, and a thoroughly disappointing conclusion to a once-great and much beloved series. 

Naturally, it also got us thinking about other TV shows that've been failed by their respective series finales. Below, I've listed a handful that immediately come to mind—share your own in the comments!

How I Met Your Mother 

Why it was disappointing: Refusing to admit that the series they'd created in 2005 was not the same series nine years later, HIMYM creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas flipped fans the bird when they killed off the charming Mother and had Ted end up with Robin in the series' final flash-forward.

Dexter

Why it was disappointing: Not only did Dexter Morgan not die, he also became a LUMBERJACK and grew an unseemly beard. Hell, even Michael C. Hall's didn't like the ending! You know there's a problem when a lead actor won't defend his own show.

Battlestar Galactica

Why it was disappointing: While BSG's finale wasn't nearly as bad as some of the others on this list, Kara Thrace poofed out of existence pretty much as soon as she arrived on Earth 2.0! Um, what? And perhaps even more frustrating than Kara's magical departure and what it probably did to Jamie Bamber's Lee Adama was the reveal/confirmation in the future that the head versions of Caprica Six and Gaius Baltar might've been angels the entire time.

Seinfeld

Why it was disappointing: One of the best and funniest comedies of all time signed off with what was essentially a clip show—and to top it all off, the gang was stuck in prison at the end! 

Lost

Why it was disappointing: Thought you were going to get some concrete answers to this seminal series' central mysteries, did you? NOPE. 

This is obviously not a complete list. Which series finales have disappointed YOU the most?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/24/2014

Season 7 : Episode 10

755 Comments
Comments (755)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Rosanne. What?? Everything's all made up? No fair! It's like it never existed. But I guess it gave them an excuse for just doing anything they wanted in the final season.
Flag
I wish I could understand everyone's hate on for the finale of Lost. I thought it was beautiful.
Flag
I can see how you could like it. I just couldn't since it had been my guess from the very beginning (and I'm sure most viewers at one time or another guessed it, too). I was hoping for more.
Flag
I think part of the reason I liked it so much is that I was never I die-hard fan. My interest in the show ebbed and flowed over the years it was on; I never actually saw the last season until this summer. I had been expected to be disappointed, but found that I really enjoyed it.

I loved the first season because it was innovative and fresh. I found the last season engaging and touching. I think if there was something wrong with the show it was more the middle. There were so many red herrings and extraneous mysteries add to extend the life of the show that were never meant to lead anywhere. I think a lot of fans were disappointed that there wasn't more resolution and I can respect and understand that.
Flag
One Tree Hill, only because by the time it finally ended, they had done like four "series finales" already and it's actual finale was basically just an extended curtain call the way seasons six and eight ended. If they had ended it in season four, I'd be saying OTH had one of the best finales ever.
Flag
Season 6 is where it ended for me. Haven't seen any episodes that follow it. Don't think I ever will. Learnt from Scrubs "Season 9"
Flag
I have to say True Blood hurt the most for me. One of my favourite series and then such a letdown. I am even unsure if I can watch the whole series again one day due to this s**tty finale. Also on my list: Dexter, Heroes and Lost.
Flag
All of Season 7 was horrendous so I don't know why I was so surprised at how bad the finale was
Flag
Sopranos, never understood what the hell happened there.
Oz, had a very disappointing ending.

Flag
he was killed:)

About OZ, I absolutely agree, it could have been and should have been better. It deserved to end better
Flag
dexter...the whole season was a disaster and the finale was the disaster of disasters
Flag
Won't discuss shows abruptly cancelled with no closure - that would be a long list.
Followed Lost, Seinfeld, Battlestar and How I Met Your Mother.
Lost was the worst ending of any show I have watched after being one of the best shows I had watched. I think the creators/writers basically gave fans the shaft.
Battlestar's ending was fine. BTW Caprica got no love but was a good series.
HIMYM finale was fine too. Felt a little rushed at the end but satisfied my need for closure.
Seinfeld was what it is, Irreverent and unpredictable. Would have liked more in the finale but whatever.
Flag
Sudden cancellation: The Riches. That show was so under-appreciated.
Flag
I'm afraid Revenge is also on this path...
Flag
i think so too
Flag
If sudden cancellations count, I pick The Finder, The Glades, King and Maxwell, The Unusual's, Mindgames, Mental, and Lie To Me. They were not given a fair shake.
Flag
You and I seem to like exactly the same shows! In fairness to the Finder - one of the lead actors did die unexpectedly.
Flag
The winner (loser) and still champeen ------------ DEXTER!

I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.
Flag
1. Dawson's Creek
2. Prison Break
3. Lost
4. Will and Grace
5. Desperate Housewives
Flag
LOST :(
Flag
HIMYM has to be the worst. Breaking up Barney and Robin was ridiculous. They belonged together and made a much more believable couple than whiney Ted and her did. Plus to go the whole show, waiting to meet the mother only to have her die? I can't even watch the re-runs of this show anymore because the finale made me so mad. To be honest, the whole last season was a bust!
Flag
Greatest finale fail of all time. It would have to be Heroes.
Flag
Was Lost's final season perfect? No. But, its the rare show which transcended its medium into something magnificent. I would watch Lost a 100 times over if I had the time.

Disappointing finales:
Dexter - WTF!
HIMYM: If the final 5 minutes hadn't happened and Tracy's death was the final scene, I'd have been pretty okay with it.
Flag
Merlin that ending really pissed me off I was so disappointed with the way they did it Arthur never should have died, Lancelot never should have died when he did rrrrrrrrrrrr they should have had him stay alive (I know this happened before the final but ahhhhhhhhhhhh) the only thing I liked was Gwen becoming ruler and everyone excepting her as their queen.

Robin Hood I loved this series and I cried when Robin died and cried when Marian went with him but it never should have ended like that robin could have mentored Archer and became his brother, their was still so much he could done.
Flag
Dexter ...lumberjack enough said ! Total disaster!
Flag
Third Watch. No one wanted the show to end with Faith and Bosco not even on speaking terms. And Cruz ends up being the heroine by blowing herself up? Didn't float my boat.
Flag
The reason Alias is one of the most disappointing series finales listed here is because it pretty much confirmed they were making things up as they went along.

...which wouldn't have been so bad if the show was actually about spying, but as it was? Epic fail.
Flag
The battlestar galactica was kind of hinting about the finale the last season(s) so it was a bit of yawn... It is still a favorite show, but there were so many filler episodes that we can speak of whole filler season.
Flag
BSG was getting kind of bad in season 4, and it was good that it ended. It is my favourite show
Flag
And I think Alias is pretty unteachable in its last moments. Writerts clearly showed that they had no idea and perhaps expecting to be cancelled way before.
Flag
Hey, maybe one day we can try to do a list of great finales instead. Maybe we would help writers by expressing what actually makes sense as a finale. Is it even possible?
Flag
You know what has a terrible ending that nobody talks about? King of Queens. Whatever we were expecting from an ending of that didn't end up happening. There was some of what we would have wanted but enough of what we didn't that made it all worthless.

I'm still upset over the Pretender finale. They didn't answer any of the questions that they should have and even two movies didn't resolve the things that they should have.
Flag
THE GLADES... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Really you shoot the main guy in the back and then ... boom its done .... like, i guess its not that bad but i wanna know whats going to happen!
Flag
This is a really hard one, since most series get cancelled and don't choose how they like to end it or don't get the time to make a real ending. But of the above mentioned, I got to say Lost has the worst end with BSG and TB at a close second place.

Flag
The ultimate bad ending; Sopranos (although, i thought it was the perfect ending. I didn't want to see anything bad happen to anyone other than his damn son!)
Flag
His son? I wanted something bad to happen to that insufferable know-it-all Meadow. Gawd, every time she crossed the street I would hope she'd get hit by a car.
Flag
I can't even watch HIMYM repeats anymore when they're on TV, I instantly get a sickly reminder of the end and immediately change the channel
Flag
HIMYM - I still cant talk about it (seriously when a friend starts talking about it I tell him to stop cause it still makes me sooo angry!! ) - and no, I dont accept a different opinion haha

Dexter was sooo bad aswell, but that was no surprise cause how bad was the last season??? horrible, just horrible
Flag
Sick and tired of hearing about Dexter. Everyone selling out to the *popular* opinion ('Hell, even Michael C. Hall's didn't like the ending!')

^^ While, in fact, the ending could NOT have been any better. I'd written many comments about it, along the lines of 'even hell wouldn't have him' (the storm), but couldn't find anyone that agrees with me. Shame, because the ending was semi-epic. (overlooking some, possible, short-comings :))
Flag
Oh and btw., to anyone saying that it sucked: why don't YOU tell us how it should've gone down..;)
Flag
oh I can tell you but it would be a looong comment. The finale was bad, but the whole season was just sooo horrible that the finale even seems alright.
Did you really enjoy this last season? ( you would be the first person I ever heard of ;) )
Flag
I agree with pretty much everyone - all of the shows mentioned - the endings were not good. I truly believe no show can do a really good final episode - because a. they are ending a show you like and b. it is not easy to really end something - as realistically the characters continue on in their lives after all is said and done. I always appreciate a show that gives us a bit of an idea what happened after - did they live happily ever after etc... Totally bummed by endings for Eureka and Warehouse 13 - they had reasonable final episodes in that they closed off all storylines - but they were cancelled WAY TOO SOON. Merlin on the other hand had a horrendous final episode. Finally after everything that has happened, Arthur knows about Merlin - but they never even showed him come back to explain what had happened. Not to mention they killed off some key characters that were never meant to die (ok Lancelot was killed in earlier seasons - but grrrr) Galahad was a complete shock and completely wrong.
I am seriously dreading the end of Haven and Once Upon a Time.
Flag
To be honest, the only show that had a perfect ending to it was Breaking Bad. The greatest show ever & if you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it.
Flag
LOST and BSG - such let downs for two absolutely great series.

Lost - People were guessing Purgatory for years and the producers kept saying no, it is a big surprise. then bam! Guess what? Purgatory....

BSG - Seemed like a quickly put together finale that didn't fit characters and story as a whole. I did like how they ended up on (our) Earth in the distant past but other than that, I think it sucked monkey balls.
Flag
Lost was pathetic, I laughed @ the people who followed it (hehe); However BSG was horrendous (including the chitty digital effects), but its ending was pretty gr8!..:)
Flag
They were making the legend as they go and they were building up viewers to a unknown shocking secret mythology.
When the time came to write one, then obviously they had to improvise but I think they sort of figured the ending to be mostly pleasing.

If it was me, the last scene would be Jack dying, then zoom out to see, he is actually in the original plane crash rubble and it was all just a hallucination. The hate mail would be insane!
Flag
LOST!!!!
And for the love of god don't give me the "you didn't understand" argument.
It was horrible! And even though I can sit here all day writing why, I'll give only one reason: The most international phenomenon that the series was, with a international cast of characters, ended in a religious bull crap! The whole world isn't catholic, christian or wherever purgatory is from! LAME!
Flag
Agreed. Great idea that went south, and because it only ran five seasons they must not have had time to write a coherent ending. Also agree with your support of Buffy and Spike ;)
Flag
Buffy & Spike 4 EVER!!! :-P
Flag
*an

TV.com will you please add an edit option!!!!!
Flag
LOST, for sure. That finale was like a big "F*** YOU" from the writers/producers. With BSG I didn't mind the mystical stuff so much because I was too blown away with the reveal of how they ended up on (our) Earth in the distant past. I love that Adama and the others turned out to be THE "Ancient Aliens"... or maybe I just love BSG so much I can never really be mad at anything it does. :p

Flag
And what about Twin Peaks?

Flag
Northern Exposure.

Yes, it's been a while but it still hurts.
Flag
So true! I was very young when I saw it, but you have remembered it to me right now! :-(
Flag
Can we all just accept that the last lumberjack scene in Dexter didn't actually happen, and was only put there because the network didn't allow the creators to kill Dexter in case they do some feature film or reboot down the line?

Dexter let his sister go in the water and then killed himself going into the storm solo on a mini boat. That is how the writers wanted to end the show.. it's pretty obvious they put that shitty last scene there just to satisfy the higher ups.
Flag
Agreed. The scene with Hanna and Lil' Dexter walking into the crowd is the pretty obvious [and cinematic] ending. I just don't understand why they wouldn't put the onus on the potential remake/reboot to explain itself.
Flag
ITT: Morons who hate the HIMYM ending because they didn't understand since the first season that Ted was never destined to be with Tracy forever and the show was ALL ABOUT TED BEING COMPLETELY IN LOVE WITH ROBIN! Hell, even the kids in the final scene talk about Ted's story being about how he "is totally in love with Aunt Robin."

As for LOST, what concrete answers were you looking for? Most of what we needed to know was answered. Maybe you didn't understand the ending which seems to be most people's problem.

As for the other shows, I have no input because I either haven't finished them or watched them at all.
Flag
Ted was not completely in love with Robin. That's why people mistakenly hate the finale. It wasn't about how he was in love with Robin all along and he finally got his happy ending. It was about the fact that like Tracy, Ted had his true love and he had kids and a great life with her but she died.. life is tragic that way. And so he sulked for a while and told his story, but still had a fondness for Robin, who like him had a love story of her own which didn't work. They were two people who had history and mutual feelings but it was by no means OMG it was always supposed to be Robin.

If Tracy hadn't died Ted would've been with her, and he would have been happier. The finale was more so about lifes cruelties, and you taking the punches and making the best of it. Ted and Robin both found comfort in each other because without it their life wasn't as good as it could have been.. but they were by no means soul mates meant to be together from the start.. all the episodes minus the finale kind of showed us that.
More +
Flag
I have to agree with ryan here: ted was ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS in love with Robin.. all the times he were with someone else, including Tracey were the times when Robin was with someone else, when he lost hope on getting her back.. deep down he looked for Robin in every single one of them.. that is why Victoria wanted him to stop being friends with Robin.. that is why he could not do that and Vic went away.. that is why he did EVERYTHING to find that locket.. just to make Robin happy.. he was with her when she learned that she could never have a baby (and remember that, that very specific episode ended with the words "and kids, she was never alone"), he was with her in the park looking for locket, he was with her when he was heading to receive his award, in every special, life changing occasion they were together.. so no, I definitely cannot say that he would have been "happier" if the lived forever with Tracy.. he would be happy but not happier.. all the episodes, including the finale, showed that they were soul mates.. you do not need to be "the same" for someone to be your soul mate.. you need to complete each other.. the ending was epic and perfect, and while being very, very sad; it is just the right one..
More +
Flag
Lost was an excellent series!
And most of the important questions were answered!! I never get people who say they weren't, I was satisfied with it...
Same with Galactica..
Flag
I really wanted to find some reason to flag your comment. It was just so horribly wrong. I finally get the mindset other people have towards Mass Effect 3 when I say I liked it's ending.
Flag
It's been a while since I watched the Lost finale, but I remember being more confused than satisfied. It answered some questions, raised others, and the questions it did answer, such as the nature of the island, were unsatisfying and didn't fit with events from previous seasons.
Flag
Because the whole thing was total bullchit, lol.
Flag
I tought the finale of Lost was actually one of the best episodes of the final season. That whole temple stuff that preceeded it was pretty ridiculous.
Flag
Yeah, the writers were all over the place and making a pretty lame yet complicated mythology. The ending did somehow tied all the wild fantasy of 20-30 writers who were working on the show.
Flag
Everything after Season 1 was ridiculous.
Flag
Haha, that's why I don't understand why people were bothered by the finale. I watched all the seasons, but I didn't take all the ridiculousness seriously, so when the finale happened, my response was, "Sure, why not?"
Flag
HIMYM by far
Flag
Medium. Worst finale ever. They killed one of the main characters which was completely pointless and totally weird from this show. I didn't care about the storyline, I didn't like the mood, I felt frustrated and feel dissapointed after all these years. (Okay, I liked the actors' goodbye in the very end, but that's all.) For 7 years this show was about Allison coping with serious problems (succesfully) with the humor and support of her family. Not the finale. And the most bizarre thing? The real life Allison's husband is still alive.
Flag
Agreed, it was really bizarre and felt completely pointless...before that it was a great show and then for no reason I can see, they just killed the whole mood in the last few episodes
Flag
Now that was what I would call a great example of disappointing series finale! If only because they were given cancelation treatment por so long, they wasted the most amazing 3 series finales the previous seasons.

All Medium had left was the Joe finale.
Flag
HIMYM
Flag
Of all the disappointing finales I must agree that HIMYM was the worst.
On BSG, I have this to say - It seems to me Ron Moore found his faith or whatever and decided to go full-out-religious on a sci fi show no less. I wouldn't go so far as to say that sci fi and religion don't mix, but the BSG team sure didn't mix them well in the final seasons. There was a total overdose of the annoying religious cult and such. Adding Kara into the "God mix" was even worse, but the end scene with head Six and Baltar was just too much. Compared to that, wasting their technology in the sun is a minor gripe. It could have been just as plausible to explain it degraded over the next, oh I don't know, 100 000 years, so that's why they lost it.
Flag
HIMYM..worst finale ever!
Flag
HIMYM. By a long shot. And by long shot, I mean....just...no other finale can compare to the awfulness that was HIMYM's finale.
Flag
That would sell Dinosaurs short...
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I haven't watched LOST, or Dexter or House.... but of all the shows I have, HIMYM has to be the worst...all those years of character development, gone in just a few seconds...what a shitty ending that was....
Flag
I agree with you completly on HIMYM, but you should know that House wasn't nominated for a bad finale. I loved it. Yes reverting everyone was such a stupid move. I don't know why they thought it could pass as an adequate ending
Flag
Dexter's entire last season disappointed me, especially with the second last season being so well done.

But I still have to give it to Lost for being the only show to get me physically upset.
Flag
Merlin really bummed me out, it ruined the whole show for me including my desire to go back through it knowing how it ended.
Flag
Agreed! What pissed me off the most was not the fact that it ended that way but that they didn't have Arthur find out about Merlin's magic till right before he died...i think Arthur should have had some time with that knowledge to see how things progressed...at least another season....
Flag
Yet another hallamark of disappointment IMO.

If the series finale only makes me never to watch Heroes, The Secret Circle or Baywatch ever again then that's the key to disappointment.
Flag
Heroes finale was actually quite good, too bad the show was terrible after season 1.
Flag
Sopranos
Flag
I hated the Desperate Housewives finale. It should have ended in mistery or crime or death or something shoking and exciting. Instead it was cheesy
Flag
Second to Crossing Jordan in my list of worst series finale ever.
Flag
I think the most disappointing series finale would have to be every series ever made, Cos lets face it if you invest years into following and watching a series you start to hold that series in high regard, nothing that any team of writers could ever write could ever make you appreciate that they have now taken that series away from you.

The series finales that I hate the most though haven't been written yet. Mine are a tie between Game Of Thrones and the Simpsons, GOT mainly because it is starting to look like the series is going to over take the books which can't be good, The Simpsons because it has been on the air for so long now that it is actual hard to believe that it will end some day.
Flag
Six Feet Under proves you wrong.
Flag
I haven't yet made it through to watching the final season of six feet under, (to be honest its one of the series that I have been saving for a rainy day) but from what you're saying I'm to believe that the final episode was to make you appreciate that the series finished. As that would be the only way to have proved me wrong, that by watching the final episode makes you happy that the series ended.
Flag
In Six Feet Under the final episode makes you feel like this is the end, and this is how it should be. no more questions, no more story lines, everything is done, finished and in peace.
Flag
there is a difference between tying up all the loose ends and wanting to see the series end. It might have had an ending worthy of the show, but you still wouldn't want to see the series end. It's the difference between being a fan of the show or just an average viewer.
Flag
Six Feet Under and Babylon 5 had just perfect endings.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members