True Blood Forums

HBO (ended 2014)

4.10, "Burning Down the House," Official Discussion, *spoilers*

amaryllis88

[1]Aug 24, 2011
    • level: 20

Welcome to an all new episode of True Blood ! This episode airs Sunday, August 28 at 9 pm Eastern / 8 pm Central on HBO.

"Bill needs Sookie to use her powers which results in breaking a spell. Jessica is implored to glamour Jason. Terry tries to help Andy with an intervention. Alcide reassesses his loyalties. Bill organizes the vampires to attack Marnie's Moon Goddess Emporium while Jesus, Lafayette, Sookie and Jason attempt to free Tara and Holly."

This episode was written by Nancy Oliver and directed by Lesli Linka Glatter.

Please only discuss this episode in this thread, and NO BOOK SPOILERS!!

Discuss & Enjoy!

Edited on 08/31/2011 5:06pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

filmstu2005

[2]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 7

What the hell has happened to my beloved True Blood? This was one of the worst episodes I've ever seen! I'd hate to say it, but with this episode the show didn't just jump the shark. They killed it.

I feel like they aren't taking the magic aspect of witchcraft seriously. They're just throwing everything but the kitchen sink to see what sticks, doesn't matter if it makes sense, and it's sending the show on downward spiral into camp territory, and far too fast. The magic on a show like True Blood needs to be subtle, with a real factor. All this lightening and energy and flashing lights everyone seems to be throwing is really hurting the storylines. Now i feel like I'm watching a bad episode of The Tomorrow People. And they were all pretty bad.

What started out as a good season is very quickly becoming abysmal.

Edited on 08/29/2011 1:27am

Monster_Jinn

[3]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 1

I enjoyed the start, though I still can't get over the uselessness of Bill's bodyguards, and thought Nan was a little sick head for that move she pulled on blackburn. I agree with the above post about there being to much lights and special effects to signify magic.

To me the rest of the episode was kinda boring. I don't care for Hoyt and the Bellefleur's aren't that interesting to me. However I did enjoy the vampire scenes and liked Nan because of how much of a megabitch she was. I find her and Bill's bickering funny. I actually agree with Bill about bombing the place, I couldn't care any less for Tara.

The witches seem like a complete mess to be honest. The laws in the witching world seem to change continuously from using a circle and chanting to cast powerful spells, to just creating one with a wave of your hand. I find Antonia/Marnie's fluxating views a little off.

The plot induced stupidity at the end really annoyed me. The way Sookie and Tara ran up to hug one another when an angry witch is behind them was just madness. I guess it is TV though. The final seen gave me a chuckle though it was incredibly cheesy.

angeland8

[4]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 10
    Average episode. That's the best grade I can give.
    Andy's story - could be good, but it ended so stupid.
    Sam and Alcide - couldn't care less, just put them away already.
    Sookie breaking the spell - pathetic. Where was the blood-bath Sookie was talking about? That minute of nothing? Yeah, right. The only good thing was the ending. Gorgeous Jess, Pam, and our beloved wicked Eric might try to save the show. Bill has no hope - Sookie will love him again and he will turn into a teddy-bear. RIP, King Bill, you were fun, but not for a long time.

TimeSpiraling

[5]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 5

I wrote a comprehensive review in the Episode section, and don't want to be too redundant here, so I will just pull out one element from the review for discussion here.

Antonia is simply overpowered.

They have not explained how Antonia became so powerful. She was definitely not this powerful in her past life, otherwise it's hard to believe should would have been captured, tortured and killed so easily. I don't think the Marnie union has really augmented her abilities that much as she could barely reanimate a bird before Antonia joined her.

The list of spells Antonia has cast, and is maintaining is impressive - too impressive. Wizard locking doors, disrupting cell phone signals, an impenetrable wall of protection around the Emporium, a spell of warding that repels all people from the downtown area, and of course, instantaneous mind control over any and all Vampires (except Bill, for some reason).

She is overpowered, and they have not explained how she became so powerful.

Over all I think this season has become irreversibly bad, and we can only hope that next season will be a major improvement, but I am absolutely not looking forward to the "war with the witch" where our beloved Vampires are now clad in black leather and wielding assault rifles and RPGs, all to the tune of upbeat rock music.

filmstu2005

[6]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 7

TimeSpiraling wrote:

I wrote a comprehensive review in the Episode section, and don't want to be too redundant here, so I will just pull out one element from the review for discussion here.

Antonia is simply overpowered.

They have not explained how Antonia became so powerful. She was definitely not this powerful in her past life, otherwise it's hard to believe should would have been captured, tortured and killed so easily. I don't think the Marnie union has really augmented her abilities that much as she could barely reanimate a bird before Antonia joined her.

The list of spells Antonia has cast, and is maintaining is impressive - too impressive. Wizard locking doors, disrupting cell phone signals, an impenetrable wall of protection around the Emporium, a spell of warding that repels all people from the downtown area, and of course, instantaneous mind control over any and all Vampires (except Bill, for some reason).

She is overpowered, and they have not explained how she became so powerful.

Over all I think this season has become irreversibly bad, and we can only hope that next season will be a major improvement, but I am absolutely not looking forward to the "war with the witch" where our beloved Vampires are now clad in black leather and wielding assault rifles and RPGs, all to the tune of upbeat rock music.

My argument exactly, but better explained. Thank you. True Blood seems to have been hit with a box of blazing fireworks. Ugh.

KamakaLo

[7]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 22
    I can't believe no one liked the episode. I'm loving Team Sam and Alcide and I think its great Alcide finally has something else to do besides protect Sookie. The only thing I don't like is Sookie loving both men so I'm over this love triangle and shipper thing. Yeah I will love all scenes with Eric/Sookie but I'm just over it now... I do like how they show Beel isn't any better than Eric though by not really caring if Tara dies.

Jemadari

[8]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 12

For me personally the best part of the episode was the end with the knowing looks between the Vampires in the van to them walking towards the building with their various weapons

And the scene in which Nan kept threating to give everyone the true death and Jessica just wanting to kill stuff that was pretty funny

the rest of the episode was sorta "meh",on the one hand this show doesn't work without an ensemble cast and multiple storylines but on the other hand the majority of the characters are just boring,so thats kinda bitter/sweet

no1thinker

[9]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 19

I haven't watched the episode, yet. I'll know more, once I do.

haldrey

[10]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 22
    I do not think that nobody liked this episode, look at the reviews and at the score. It might not be the best one of the season but it sure was a pretty good one.

sibowittz

[11]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 17
    I loved this episode! It was really tense. And was interesting concerning the themes with possession. And it was sad to see Tommy go! 9.5 out of 10!

sibowittz

[13]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 17
    KamakaLo wrote:
    I can't believe no one liked the episode. I'm loving Team Sam and Alcide and I think its great Alcide finally has something else to do besides protect Sookie. The only thing I don't like is Sookie loving both men so I'm over this love triangle and shipper thing. Yeah I will love all scenes with Eric/Sookie but I'm just over it now... I do like how they show Beel isn't any better than Eric though by not really caring if Tara dies.

I know right it was a great episode. One of the best of the season. Third best to be exact

tommy0122

[14]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 12

I thought this was one of the best episodes. I'm ready for that hateful witch to be killed and I hope it is slow and painful. I hate her!!

TimeSpiraling

[15]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 5

I'm actually shocked at how many people enjoyed this episode.

My wife and I watch the show every week, and have since season one. This season started off bumpy, but was pretty okay for a while, but the last few episodes have been so bad its embarrassing.

- Sam, a relatively respectable business owner with a dark past, is actually going to let his mortally wounded, idiot brother make the decision to die a painful death and not do anything about it? BS! That is simply too unbelievable. Anyone would immediately see a family member in mortal danger and take them to the hospital. End of story. It is simply impossible to believe any other course of action, especially willing death on his pool table.

What a shameful way to completely deface Sam's character and to kill off Tommy.

- They've transition from a low-magic setting to high-magic and it feels so strange. True Blood has always been about the strangeness of subtlety. The creatures were always mysterious, but powerful ... Now everyone is just snapping their fingers and casting spells that have overt CGI renderings in every episode. The high-magic is just too hard to believe.

For the record, I love high-magic settings, I just don't like how they're doing it in TB.

- Arming Bill, Jessica, Eric, and Pam with rocket launchers and machine guns was just too much to handle. Completely frickin' ridiculous! It wasn't cool. It wasn't funny. It was stupid and completely out of character. Never in the history of True Blood have the vamps needed to arm themselves with automatic weapons. What the heck is going on?!

If I sound upset it is just because I feel like they are running one of the beast series on TV into the ground, and doing it fast, and without regard to the integrity they've built the show on.

CheckeredYcats

[16]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 8

This show is getting beyond ridiculous!!!! I used to love it, but I don't know if I will be watching next season. I think that they are completely ruining a very good book series. Yes, I think that a show should be different from the books, but this... They are trying to do way to much. Some of the storylines this season... What's the point of them?? Why bring in Tommy? IMO his character ruined Sam's. And now that they did that they killed off Tommy? Seriously?!? And Andy on V... WTF? That was just dumb... The next two episodes better be freakin awesome and less of the pointless side stories or I'm done with TB.

Rizava

[17]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 3

I disagree with so many posts and interpretations here that I was compelled to write. I liked this episode, I don't think it was the best but it wasn't completely horrible either. To everyone out there who says it sucks because it is not believable, wake up, this is TV not reality. If you want reality, there are at least 100 crap shows out there that you can watch and not one will ever come close to being half as enjoyable as TB. The reason you tune in to TB is because you know its the farthest thing from reality -and that is why you love it.

Yes they are overdoing it with the super magic, lightning flashes and disappearing acts. It is too much to swallow even for this show and yes I agree that it all came out of the blue as Marni was not that powerful and Antonia wasn't either. Yet we did learn that Antonia's spirit has been wandering for 400 years. Perhaps she picked up some tricks while in the spirit world for that long?

Over the past few weeks I have read over and over again that people are hating Tara, Andy and Tommy. Well, Tommy is gone, Tara is going to keep being Tara and Andy was too pathetic as a junkie so they are sobering him up - he does add comic relief to a great extent and if they can bring that back, we will enjoy seeing him on the screen again. Perhaps these scenes were a bit boring compared to the rest of the episode but they bring you back down to "reality" in some small way. If Andy is suddenly cured of his addiction after an hour with his cousin, that will be bull...

The scenes with Tommy and Sam were credible. When Tommy was in the truck he said that he was dying because of shifting into Sam. Would you take him to a hospital if he was a shifter that was dying because he was shifting? I don't think so.

The end of the episode was a little cheesy but it was also a little awesome. They are going to blow up a building protected by spells that they can't break through. How else would you have them get in? Someone wrote that Vampires never needed weapons before... Well, they were never held back by a spell's force field before - they came prepared. Stupid and unbelievable would be them walking into the force field like Jesus did and alerting Antonia to their arrival. Their plan is obvious, blow the building and then shoot whatever comes out. No chance of Marni/Antonia casting any spells. I guess that will be a bit conflicting once Bill & Eric see Sookie coming out. I'm looking forward to next week!

Oh_666

[18]Aug 31, 2011
    • level: 2

I am really amazed that True Bloodchanging into Buffy the Vampire Slayer (12+) so fast.

There were signs before (http://www.afterelton.com/blog/dennis/ten-things-buffy-true-blood), but during this season, it is going over the top.

1) Spike/Eric regaining his soul and starts an affair with buffy/sookie (first time I see the resemblance in names btw)

2) We have a gay witch! (And Tara can also be regarded as some sort of Willow, also 'turned')

3) There is a magic shop! How convenient!

4) Angel/Bill becomes the 'leader' of his nemesis institution.

5) Don't get me started on the whole werewolves thing.

6) The first episode (or last series lasts) where Sookie learns the background of her kind, reminded me of how Buffy learned about the Slayers. In the end, both of them turned against it.

7) The sex is quite similar. Wild, passionate and animalistic or surreal.

The 'walk' at the end of this episode. It's kind of trademark Buffy

And I think that these are the reasons that people are losing interest in True Blood. We need grown ups!

Bring back Godric!

kanniballl

[19]Aug 31, 2011
    • level: 18

My wife and I watch the show every week, and have since season one. This season started off bumpy, but was pretty okay for a while, but the last few episodes have been so bad its embarrassing.

- Sam, a relatively respectable business owner with a dark past, is actually going to let his mortally wounded, idiot brother make the decision to die a painful death and not do anything about it? BS! That is simply too unbelievable. Anyone would immediately see a family member in mortal danger and take them to the hospital. End of story. It is simply impossible to believe any other course of action, especially willing death on his pool table.

What a shameful way to completely deface Sam's character and to kill off Tommy.

I don't totally agree with it in this situation since "V" is pretty much a miracle cure, but Alcide said it: this was Tommy's choice. He was messed up, not just injured but some kind of shifter malfunction.

He was really messed up and bringing him to a hospital would've been a disaster since part of his dying was due to some shifting weirdness.

With "V" practically on tap and I imagine Bill owing Sam some favors, he should've been able to get some rather quickly. But unless Bill super-sped over there... Tom died within minutes of getting back. Having a drug dealer drive some over wouldn't have cut it.

It's not a black-and-white thing: if someone is dying on the floor and royally messed up (in Tom's case) with minutes left to live and wants to end it... what do you do?

He has only minutes to live, do you argue with him about doing something he doesn't want to do. Or try to comfort him and make peace?

- Arming Bill, Jessica, Eric, and Pam with rocket launchers and machine guns was just too much to handle. Completely frickin' ridiculous! It wasn't cool. It wasn't funny. It was stupid and completely out of character. Never in the history of True Blood have the vamps needed to arm themselves with automatic weapons. What the heck is going on?!

I kind of liked it, I found it humorous about how over-the-top they were going.

Besides, think of it in a semi-realistic way. The witch can control them, has some vampires under her control already, and can do way too much magic. How else can they fight her than with some heavy ordinance?

Edited on 08/31/2011 7:22am

PatrikBjrkm

[20]Aug 31, 2011
    • level: 4

This season of True Blood has gone downhill fast. There is really no plot, the only possible interesting thing so far was the haunted baby, but that was apparently a mothers spirit who they just had to give a hug and she went away.

I'm afraid True Blood has started to aim at the audience "14-year old girls". The only redemption I see is by killing Sookie & Tara, the most annoying char's in the show at the moment. Maybe then we could have hope for better episodes and hopefully(?) a better next season.