True Blood Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOIn Season

5.06, "Hopeless," Official Discussion, *spoilers*

amaryllis88

[1]Jul 11, 2012
    • level: 20

Hi everyone! Welcome to a new episode of True Blood! Cool This episode airs Sunday, July 15th, at 9 pm Eastern / 8 pm Central on HBO.

"The aftermath at the asylum has Sookie filled with dread. The Authority retrieve Bill and Eric. Pam gets involved when Tara's actions lead to a fight. After receiving an alarming message from Jesus, Ruby Jean gets a visit from Lafayette. Terry thinks a curse is to blame for his predicament. Sam lends Andy a hand with an investigation. Alcide faces up to J.D. Roman reveals his plans for Russell."

This episode was written by Alan Ball and directed by Daniel Attias.

Please only discuss this episode in this thread, and NO BOOK SPOILERS!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Wildtvfan85

[2]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 3
    WOW!! I just knew that Russell was going to be the one that killed Roman!! I do not trust Salome one bit, or Nora either.

Great job to Christopher Meloni, he did an outstanding job.

KamakaLo

[3]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 22
    Roman's dead? Wow, I am shocked! I thought he'd be here for the whole season?

hal90042000

[4]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 5
    Roman getting Killed surprised me I mean I knew that something was going to happened in the scene but that took me by surprise and know the question is who was behind that.

ionee24

[5]Jul 16, 2012
    • level: 32
    Wildtvfan85 wrote:
    WOW!! I just knew that Russell was going to be the one that killed Roman!!

For my life, I NEVER saw Roman's death coming, much less Russell being the one to kill him.

I can't see Nora as the one behind this, she's a religious fanatic but she's not a plot master. This has Salome written all over it.

Good to see Luna is alive. And that Sam got to avenge the shapeshifters.

Wildtvfan85

[6]Jul 16, 2012

KamakaLo wrote:
    Roman's dead? Wow, I am shocked! I thought he'd be here for the whole season?

I didn't, I had a feeling he wouldn't last very long. The dead scene was awesome, better than what I expected.

ionee24

[7]Jul 16, 2012
    Wildtvfan85 wrote:
    I had a feeling he wouldn't last very long.

I had that feeling with the kid vampire (child actors always outgrow their roles in this show)...but Roman was a keeper.

His death was a true shocker.

shenbrat

[8]Jul 16, 2012
    • level: 8

Regarding Emma: Does anyone think it is NOT definate she is strictly wolf? Couldn't wolf simply be the animal she happened to or decided to shift into?

No1Slayerette

[9]Jul 17, 2012
    • level: 9

Roman might not be dead, he didn't explode, and I though Luna was dead last week, but there she was this week.

damnfo0l

[10]Jul 17, 2012
    • level: 2
    Yeah I agree Sam had that dog in Season 1 I think he described it as his "go to animal". It is quite feasible that Emma can shift into other animals

ekiMognoL

[11]Jul 17, 2012
    • level: 1
    Once Russell was getting sentenced, I knew Roman would die.

To me, Russell is a bigger piece than Roman was, and he is a much more interesting character in the show.

The whole vampire story might have not survived without Russell in my opinion.

I'm still a little mad Roman is dead though.

damnfo0l

[12]Jul 17, 2012

I am hoping that the Fairy smackdown that Sookiegot in this episoderemoves her powers (at least temporarily) as she has been getting a little too big headed in their use recently. She's used them against Pam, Russell and attemptedto shoot Fairy Beams at Claude.

It would be good to take her down a peg or 2 and place her in a little more peril especially with Russell back to full power.

Wildtvfan85

[13]Jul 17, 2012

No1Slayerette wrote:

Roman might not be dead, he didn't explode, and I though Luna was dead last week, but there she was this week.

Roman is dead, check the HBO commentary on this episode; it confirms that he's dead. Just because he didn't explode doesn't mean he's alive. He was staked, his blood got on Russell and his face warped. He was the head of the vampire authority so his death was a lot different than, all the other vampire deaths.

ionee24

[14]Jul 18, 2012
    shenbrat wrote:

Regarding Emma: Does anyone think it is NOT definate she is strictly wolf? Couldn't wolf simply be the animal she happened to or decided to shift into?

The rules of were people hace always been clear: you've got to kill a relative to be a skin walker, born a shapeshifter to shift into several animals and, during a stress period, werewolves would be werewolves.

Emma is a werewolf pup, like the cubs of werepathers from last season.

damnfo0l

[15]Jul 19, 2012

I am just wondering why you think it is so clear that Emma is definitely a werewolf.

From what I understand of Sam's first transformation to the Beagle (in the Season 2 flashback) was because he "imprinted" on the dog, now Marcus who was no doubt aware Emma could be either a Shape-Shifter or a werewolf probably transformed into a wolf in front of Emma as often as he could thereby ensuring she became "wolf". This would mean that Emma's most familiar animal at the at the present time is wolf and why she transformed into it a time of heightened stress.

On the other hand she will be whatever the writers decide to make her I think it would serve the story better to have Sam and his Shapeshifter famly in future ep's.

ionee24

[16]Jul 21, 2012
    damnfo0l wrote:

I am just wondering why you think it is so clear that Emma is definitely a werewolf.

Because she was sleeping the first time it happened: it's not a conscious choice she made, her body switched itself into a werewolf.

tvtome_xena321

[17]Jul 21, 2012
    • level: 27
    I'm surprised Roman is dead, is he the first ever person to be credited as a regular and be killed off after only 5 episodes, he wasn't in the first episode of season 5.

Wildtvfan85

[18]Jul 21, 2012

tvtome_xena321 wrote:
    I'm surprised Roman is dead, is he the first ever person to be credited as a regular and be killed off after only 5 episodes, he wasn't in the first episode of season 5.

He's not the first person to be credited as a regular, but Roman was only needed to set the stage. Once he was killed, by the antagonist; Russell it's going to lead into something much bigger and revealing. Roman in this case was just a pawn, I think he had a feeling that he himself would die once Russell was brought to the authority.

Someone was setting him up, Roman knew that. He was the head of the authority, him being killed is a major turning point and good one.

kanniballl

[19]Jul 23, 2012
    • level: 18

tvtome_xena321 wrote:

Nah, it's happened in the past... either because the show is built around people dying quickly OR because they want it to shock people.

One example is Tara from Buffy. Though she'd been in a bunch of episodes, she was only a recurring guest star. Then RIGHT after she was upgraded to main character listed in the opening credits... they shot her dead.

Face it, on TV 99% of the time there's no tension because you know the main characters aren't going to die. So some writers/directors like to mix it up a little and mind-frell the viewers by taking out a main character out of nowhere.

ionee24

[20]Jul 25, 2012

tvtome_xena321 wrote:

I agree.

There have been shocking deaths before - Sookie's fairy godmother, Granpa Stackhouse, Grandma Stakhouse, Godric, Nan Flannagan just to name a few - on the show, but never this soon and never with this much presence onscreen.

Edited on 07/25/2012 4:25pm