True Blood Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Spoiler Thread for Discussing Books vs True Blood - all book discussions here

spacedkane

[1]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 41
    OK for those of tv.com who have read the books I have these questions:

Do we want the show to parallel/follow the books completely... meaning:

What would happen if Jason never met Crystal?
    Gram's demise?
    What if the witches never get hold of Eric and Eric hooks up with Sookie with all mental faculties
    What if the witches never get hold of Eric and he never hooks up with Sookie

That kinds of stuff rummages through the brain bank. Personally I wish Gram were alive, Jason never goes ANYWHERE near Hotshot, Eric and Sookie hook up with Eric remembering, and where the (pardon my French) is Bubba!!!!!!!!!!!
    Edited on 08/13/2010 8:46pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

queenk123

[2]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 8

spacedkane wrote:
    where the (pardon my French) is Bubba!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean , I can't wait for him to show up!

Though I find the parallels one of the more interesting parts of the show, I REALLY hope that they don't kill off Lafayette, I just love the television version of him so much- he's HILARIOUS!

BTW, great idea for a thread (I was unsure if the stuff from the books counted as spoilers, since there are some differences)

Edited on 09/16/2008 5:44am

Nanaluvren

[3]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 6

Having read the first few novels and liking Eric quite a bit I still hope they won't turn Bill into the bas***d that he became in novel 3 and counting....I love the actor who plays him, the chem with Anna Paquin is really amazing and I think for a TV show, turning the relationship into a love triangle where both possibilities are there would be better. If the show follows the novels exactly there are gonna be a whole lot of casting changes and that is a dangerous thing to do in TV.

In any case, I will enjoy Bill while he's around!

harihudson

[4]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 15

I'm anticipating Eric's appearance but from Ball saying he sees Bill as the "tragic hero", I have doubts that Sookie/Eric will happen - if all, not until s2 or 3! I'm curious how Ball will deal w/ shapeshifting.

I'm trying to be really open to this adaptation because this is 1 of my favorite book series and there are hardly any supernatural shows airing now.

I'd be surprised if Bubba was 1 of the TV vamps. I think Sookie's gran will still be a victim. I was surprised that Sookie got a BFF in the expanded TV Tara. I can understand why Ball made this change, but I can't imagine Tara dating any vamps or being invited to any orgies w/ a guy named Eggs.

queenk123

[5]Sep 17, 2008
    harihudson wrote:
    but I can't imagine Tara dating any vamps or being invited to any orgies w/ a guy named Eggs.

I really hope that if Ball uses the Living Dead in Dallas as the bassis for the second season that he leaves out Lafayette's murder, the whole orgy/maenad storyline was my least favourite part of the second book.

GiverSSJ

[6]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 13
    harihudson wrote:

I'm anticipating Eric's appearance but from Ball saying he sees Bill as the "tragic hero", I have doubts that Sookie/Eric will happen - if all, not until s2 or 3! I'm curious how Ball will deal w/ shapeshifting.

I'm trying to be really open to this adaptation because this is 1 of my favorite book series and there are hardly any supernatural shows airing now.

I'd be surprised if Bubba was 1 of the TV vamps. I think Sookie's gran will still be a victim. I was surprised that Sookie got a BFF in the expanded TV Tara. I can understand why Ball made this change, but I can't imagine Tara dating any vamps or being invited to any orgies w/ a guy named Eggs.

Who do you think Sookie will end up with at the end if and when Ms. Harris decides to write the last book of the series(book series, that is since the nineth book is coming out next year)?

harihudson

[8]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 15

GiverSSJ wrote:
    Who do you think Sookie will end up with at the end if and when Ms. Harris decides to write the last book of the series(book series, that is since the nineth book is coming out next year)?

I enjoy the "Eric-induced" adventures Sookie takes and I liked there to be some romance between Sookie/Eric when he isn't under any influences. However, I'm not sure about a long-term relationship - what is Sookie's lifespan compared to Eric's? He'll still look the same, becoming more poweful and Sookie will age (maybe living a little longer due to her heritage).

Sookie doesn't want to be a vamp. Also, Sookie seems to want a family - man/kids - at least she has expressed those wishes at times.

Edited on 09/20/2008 1:01pm

Caity42

[9]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 5
    I really hope that she ends up with Bill. I know that he has done some bad things, but he really loves her!! Have you noticed that during the last several books Sookie is starting to forgive/understand him? I think that especially now with what Quinn did with the Nevada vamps, she is starting to warm back up to him. I absolutely adore/lust for Eric, but I see more her more long term with Bill.

ACFAIRCLOTH

[10]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 6
    Caity42 wrote:
    I really hope that she ends up with Bill. I know that he has done some bad things, but he really loves her!! Have you noticed that during the last several books Sookie is starting to forgive/understand him? I think that especially now with what Quinn did with the Nevada vamps, she is starting to warm back up to him. I absolutely adore/lust for Eric, but I see more her more long term with Bill.

I havent read the books!! What did Bill do to Sookie?? Other than hes a Vampire...lol

Caity42

[11]Sep 22, 2008
    ACFAIRCLOTH wrote:
    Caity42 wrote:

I havent read the books!! What did Bill do to Sookie?? Other than hes a Vampire...lol
    If you really want to know what he has done give me a PM and I'll tell you about it. Even if this is a spoiler thread I don't know if the moderators would like me to give out that info.

TesserT

[12]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 74
    Caity42 wrote:
    ACFAIRCLOTH wrote:
    Caity42 wrote:

If you really want to know what he has done give me a PM and I'll tell you about it. Even if this is a spoiler thread I don't know if the moderators would like me to give out that info.

PM's aren't working & I'd like to know the answer too! This is a spoiler thread so spoilers are ok - especially since the books are already out in print with this info.

queenk123

[13]Sep 22, 2008

Well .... in the third book, he runs off with his maker (though he claims that since she was his maker he couldn't help himself) and effectively cheats on Sookie. As well ....

***SPOILER***

Caity42

[14]Sep 22, 2008
    It all starts off in the third book, "Club Dead" where Bill has to leave for Jackson, Mississippi because his "maker" was calling for him. Of course his maker was a female and they had a long affair after he was turned which is not the norm for vamps. Only he lied to Sookie about where he was going. He was working on a database of all the vamps for the Queen of Louisianna and his maker was in on a plan to kidnap him and hold him until he coughed up the database. Eric finds out that he was taken and has Sookie go to Jackson to find and liberate him and in the process she kills his maker, Lorena. Sookie finds out that he cheated on her with Lorena and thus she is done with him. Bill tells her that Lorena was making threats against her and would have killed her if he did not cooperate and this does not sway her at all. Several books go by where Sookie stills hates him for what he did, but she tolerates him because of her dealings with Eric and the queen. Later on, Sookie finds out some more distressing news about Bill. Eric pretty much forces Bill to tell her his true reason for coming home to Bon Temps. He was sent to Bon Temps by the queen to find out about Sookie and her "gift" and was told to even seduce her if he had to into joining up with the vampires so they could use her gift. Of course she doesn't take this news very well (and who wouldn't?) and combine that with his actions in the third book, she hates his very guts then. Yet even after all of this, she can't help but to still want him. Quinn is a weretiger that Sookie was seeing and because of family issues, he was forced by the vampires of Nevada to give up the locations of the LA vamps and they take over the state, killing the queen and all the sheriffs except for Eric. After all that, I think Sookie now understands why Bill had to do what he did and it seems to me like she is starting to warm back up a little to Bill.

GiverSSJ

[15]Sep 22, 2008
    Caity42 wrote:
    It all starts off in the third book, "Club Dead" where Bill has to leave for Jackson, Mississippi because his "maker" was calling for him. Of course his maker was a female and they had a long affair after he was turned which is not the norm for vamps. Only he lied to Sookie about where he was going. He was working on a database of all the vamps for the Queen of Louisianna and his maker was in on a plan to kidnap him and hold him until he coughed up the database. Eric finds out that he was taken and has Sookie go to Jackson to find and liberate him and in the process she kills his maker, Lorena. Sookie finds out that he cheated on her with Lorena and thus she is done with him. Bill tells her that Lorena was making threats against her and would have killed her if he did not cooperate and this does not sway her at all. Several books go by where Sookie stills hates him for what he did, but she tolerates him because of her dealings with Eric and the queen. Later on, Sookie finds out some more distressing news about Bill. Eric pretty much forces Bill to tell her his true reason for coming home to Bon Temps. He was sent to Bon Temps by the queen to find out about Sookie and her "gift" and was told to even seduce her if he had to into joining up with the vampires so they could use her gift. Of course she doesn't take this news very well (and who wouldn't?) and combine that with his actions in the third book, she hates his very guts then. Yet even after all of this, she can't help but to still want him. Quinn is a weretiger that Sookie was seeing and because of family issues, he was forced by the vampires of Nevada to give up the locations of the LA vamps and they take over the state, killing the queen and all the sheriffs except for Eric. After all that, I think Sookie now understands why Bill had to do what he did and it seems to me like she is starting to warm back up a little to Bill.

So what will the nineth book be about, Caity?

Caity42

[16]Sep 22, 2008
    I was just rereading what I wrote a little earlier and I guess I do give off the impression that I know more than I'm letting on about. I don't really!! As for the ninth book, all that I know for sure about is that it is currently titled "Dead and Gone" and that it is supposed to be coming out between March and May of 2009. The publishers have been known to change the titles to Ms. Harris' books so I don't know if that one will stick or not. The discussion boards on her website have managed to get some clues about what the ninth one will be about, but they raise more questions than they answer.

GiverSSJ

[17]Sep 22, 2008
    Caity42 wrote:
    I was just rereading what I wrote a little earlier and I guess I do give off the impression that I know more than I'm letting on about. I don't really!! As for the ninth book, all that I know for sure about is that it is currently titled "Dead and Gone" and that it is supposed to be coming out between March and May of 2009. The publishers have been known to change the titles to Ms. Harris' books so I don't know if that one will stick or not. The discussion boards on her website have managed to get some clues about what the ninth one will be about, but they raise more questions than they answer.

Question, did you find Quinn annoying? Maybe I'm thinking about someone else, but wasn't he the one who uses the phase "babe" in the book(I read so many things at the same time)? That would get up "my nerves".

Caity42

[18]Sep 22, 2008
    You know, I did find Quinn kinda annoying. I really did not like him anywhere as much as I like Eric or lust/love Bill. Yeah, he was the one that was always calling her "babe". I think that might be a reason I don't like him. I don't even let my husband call me anything like that. As for yourself, which guy is it that you root for to have Sookie end up with? I think it is pretty obvious who I back.

TesserT

[19]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 74
    Thanks Caity42 & queenk123 for the info. Helps put things into perspective.

GiverSSJ

[20]Sep 23, 2008
    Caity42 wrote:
    You know, I did find Quinn kinda annoying. I really did not like him anywhere as much as I like Eric or lust/love Bill. Yeah, he was the one that was always calling her "babe". I think that might be a reason I don't like him. I don't even let my husband call me anything like that. As for yourself, which guy is it that you root for to have Sookie end up with? I think it is pretty obvious who I back.

Either Bill or Eric.