True Blood Forums

HBO (ended 2014)

Spoiler Thread for Discussing Books vs True Blood - all book discussions here

supercin721

[201]Aug 23, 2010
    • level: 30
    I don't know-they've already missed so many opportunities to show Eric's sweet side and to show so many intimate scenes with Eric and Sookie. They're pushing for Bill and Sookie. I would have too until the rape/near death scene...Team Eric all the way!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kollatera

[202]Aug 23, 2010
    • level: 7

It does seem like Alan Ball is going to do the whole "Bill is an agent for Sophie-Ann"-thing, but he also seems quite determined to have the Bill-Sookie-relationship as the most important. The books are focused on Sookie, and not on her depending on any one man. I love her being with Eric, but I like even more that she isn't defined by it. In the series Bill is leeching on Sookie in every way, by drinking her blood and making her into a whiny baby.

I'm puzzeled by the casting and writing of Crytal. I don't know if it's just me, but wasn't she quite kick-ass in the books? A female version of Jason, perhaps even more of a party animal? (pun not inteded ) This Crystal doesn't seem like a woman who would be able to catch Jason, she's got little spark and takes s** from the hotshot community book-Crystal wouldn't. Also, I hate how they've changed Calvin into white trash..

supercin721

[203]Aug 24, 2010
    • level: 30
    No kidding! Calvin is supposed to a good marriage match, though not appealing to Sookie. TV adaptation of Calvin has no appealing qualities. I like your interpretation of Sookie. She's presented at the onset as a Blonde Bimbo BUT she fends for herself, has a temper, and isn't bogged to one man-if anything Charlaine Harris has her attached to a new man each book (only on Book 7)-discovering more about herself through new relationships and experiences. Good point!

ArlovskiFTW

[204]Nov 9, 2010
    • level: 9

The books are so drastically overrated. They're not horrible, I'll still read the next one when it's released. But the show blows the books out of the water.

I cringe in every book when Sookie inevitably says "you'd know Bubba if you saw him." Similar crap is spewed whenever a recurring character makes his/her first appearance in each book.

Kollatera

[205]Jan 18, 2011
    • level: 7

Even though the Sookie-series probably will never be rated as classical literature, they're still pretty entertaining. I think reading the books and watching, say, Grey's anatomy, is about the same thing.

But: Concerning who Sookie will choose at the end: what about human Eric? He is the only vampire that sometimes have thoughts readable to Sookie, meaning he could potentially have firing neurons. What if Amelia makes him human? Or is that an impossibility? Just thought I'd mention it, as I've never seen the idea being discussed before..

Edited on 01/18/2011 4:28am

DuoMaxwell007

[206]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 12
    Ok i know this show is based off a series of books called the souther vampire mysteries... there are 10 books total in this series... the show is losely based on the books so it doesnt follow the books exactly... but based on teh stuff in the show that IS consistent with teh books.... going by the last episode of true blood aired... what book would that have been (if the last episode wasnt bnased on one of the books then what was teh last episode that had a consistency with a book and what book was it), im trying to see how many books the series has covered so far

franjo94

[207]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 2

well i like it more this way... if the show was EXACTLY like books it wolud be boring to see it twice, right... now u don't know what is going to change and that makes the show way more interesting...

RobbieKirkland

[208]Feb 7, 2011
    DuoMaxwell007 wrote:
    What book would that have been (if the last episode wasn't based on one of the books then what was teh last episode that had a consistency with a book and what book was it), im trying to see how many books the series has covered so far

There have been elements of a few of the books so far in the 3 seasons, there is no point that I have found in the books so far when Sophie-Anne and Bill have a fight (which he should lose FYI) also Sophie-Anne is supposed to be a teenager (as she was only a teen when she was turned) but a very old vampire.

Eric telling Sookie of Bill's betrayal happened back in book 3 or 4 I think (have read them in quick succession)

Also I want to see a few characters from the book, I know in the next season we are going to see Amelia and I am looking forward to that, I would also like many like to see Bubba but I don't think it'll happen, I'd also like to see them introduce Quinn
    ***SPOILER***
    Anyway! Enough of my blathering, the books are a good light read, ideal for holiday reading or something similar!

shirese75

[209]Jun 15, 2011

I am a huge fan of the TV show but have not read the books. My friend has and from what she has told me, I tend to want the show to focus on a few creatures and not all the ones that appear in the books. I think humans, vampires, shapeshifters, werewolves, and fairies are more than enough. My friend was highly disappointed at the way the werewolves (not the ones hooked on V) were portrayed. I don't know how they were portrayed in the book but was hoping that their "skills" would be on par but different from those of the vampires.

OctoberGirl9

[210]Jul 3, 2011
    • level: 8
    oh the werewolves were horrible on the show

Bytor65

[211]Jul 23, 2011
    • level: 6

I have gone through the books (audio) and season 4 is reallydisappointingme. Hot Shot/Jason connection was much better in the books, the Fairy stuff was done much better, mind wiped Eric also better...

pyxee

[212]Aug 28, 2011
    • level: 1
    This season is really disappointing for me too. And I agree Hotshot really got the shaft on the show. And the Fairy stuff in the books was so much better. I wanted to see a tv Claude and more Claudine. I mean I can't believe Eric ate her! Oh and tv Portia is...just lol.

darshaagan

[213]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 4

Just wanted to make a comment of one of my favorite character in the books, Bubba. Many have asked when he'll show up in the series, he will not. Unless Ball changes his mind. He was asked early after the show started about Bubba. His answer was that there was only one person who could have played Bubba, and sadly the King is dead.