HBO (ended 2014)

Spoiler Thread for Discussing Books vs True Blood - all book discussions here

queenk123

[41]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 8
    Shillelagh2007 wrote:
    and what does FDTW mean? Thanks Shill

From Dead to Worse - it's the most recent Sookie book
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

harihudson

[42]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 15

Shillelagh2007 wrote:
    I have a general question for those who've read the books.... Do you think Ball is going to mirror the books to the "T"? I don't want to get to attached to this show if Bill's character is going to get written off of the show or if Bill's character on the show is only using Sookie. Hope you can shed some light! Thanks, Shill

Your guess is as good as any. I personally think TV Bill will not mirror Book Bill - only because of the way I have heard/read of the creator's (Alan Ball) glowing description of Bill.

blueskittle

[43]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 10
    Okay I all my books haven't come yet but i did get book 4-Dead to the World. Just couldn't wait anyway in what book is Eric supposed to remember the events with Sookie? I know I could wait but curiousity is driving me nuts.

harihudson

[44]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 15

blueskittle wrote:
    Okay I all my books haven't come yet but i did get book 4-Dead to the World. Just couldn't wait anyway in what book is Eric supposed to remember the events with Sookie? I know I could wait but curiousity is driving me nuts.

That was a great story, wasn't it? It's hard to be patient. I'm putting it in a spoiler tag because not everyone may want to know this info immediately.

***SPOILER***

blueskittle

[45]Oct 5, 2008
    Thanks for getting back to me so quick..the rest of my books should be here Monday. I'm so excited, I was so surprised that I couldn't stop reading until I was done. These books are great.

GiaMina

[46]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 1
    I am completely hooked on the book series and look forward to watching the TV series every week. So far I find things are moving a little slow on the show, but I kind of understand, they need to make the suspense last a whole season. I can't wait for Sookie and Bill to hook up. I really loved tonight's episode where they explained how Lorena changed Bill so early on, since I just recently finished Club Dead, it makes me empathasize a bit more for Bill. I really hope they end up together at the end of the book series, am happy to hear there's hope if from what I read, Sookie eventually starts forgiving/understanding Bill, can't wait to read that!! But why does Sookie not turn into a vampire after having been bitten and having drank blood so many times? Am not sure if I completely missed that, but if anyone can remember where it's mentioned in the books or knows why, please let me know!

GiverSSJ

[47]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 13
    GiaMina wrote:
    I am completely hooked on the book series and look forward to watching the TV series every week. So far I find things are moving a little slow on the show, but I kind of understand, they need to make the suspense last a whole season. I can't wait for Sookie and Bill to hook up. I really loved tonight's episode where they explained how Lorena changed Bill so early on, since I just recently finished Club Dead, it makes me empathasize a bit more for Bill. I really hope they end up together at the end of the book series, am happy to hear there's hope if from what I read, Sookie eventually starts forgiving/understanding Bill, can't wait to read that!! But why does Sookie not turn into a vampire after having been bitten and having drank blood so many times? Am not sure if I completely missed that, but if anyone can remember where it's mentioned in the books or knows why, please let me know!

When do you think they're going to "hook up" on the television series?

GiaMina

[48]Oct 5, 2008
    I'm thinking in the next episode, I think that's when it happens in the book, the night after Gran's funeral. (I sure hope so anyways!!)
    So would you know why Sookie doesn't become a vampire? Is it because she would need to be bitten repeatedly and drained by one vampire? I can't remember where it's explained in the books.

GiverSSJ

[49]Oct 5, 2008
    GiaMina wrote:
    I'm thinking in the next episode, I think that's when it happens in the book, the night after Gran's funeral. (I sure hope so anyways!!)
    So would you know why Sookie doesn't become a vampire? Is it because she would need to be bitten repeatedly and drained by one vampire? I can't remember where it's explained in the books.

Good question.

*thinking & nods*

How do you like the way Alan Bell is doing the television series?

GiaMina

[50]Oct 5, 2008
    So far so good. I had to get all the books so I could read ahead to learn what happens next, but I'm liking the casting and the acting. The other story lines with Jason and Tara are good, but it threw me off at first, cause it's not the same Tara as in the books. I wish we saw more Bill and Sookie, but in due time I guess. Overall you can't directly compare the 2, the books and the series each have their own strengths.

GiverSSJ

[51]Oct 5, 2008
    GiaMina wrote:
    So far so good. I had to get all the books so I could read ahead to learn what happens next, but I'm liking the casting and the acting. The other story lines with Jason and Tara are good, but it threw me off at first, cause it's not the same Tara as in the books. I wish we saw more Bill and Sookie, but in due time I guess. Overall you can't directly compare the 2, the books and the series each have their own strengths.

*nods*

From the preview for the next episode, who is that choking Sookie?

Caity42

[52]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 5
    My guess is that it is Jason that is choking her. Remember in the first book after he learns that Gran died he slapped her so hard it left a bruise. Now he is getting addicted to V and is starting to get meaner and on the preview he looked like he was "high" when he came into the house.

GiaMina

[53]Oct 6, 2008
    i am not sure which preview you saw, i didn't see the one after the episode, but from the one i saw from a link on the interet, i didn't see jason choking anyone, but he definitely slapped Sookie hard.

at first i wasn't following the whole tara being in the picture, since it's so much more different than the books, but now i'm really liking the tension between her and jason. i really thought he was going to come around and then of course the last scene - they're really making him into a man-whore, it's pretty funny. i guess it would have been too easy, too soon, i'm sure eventually they'll end up together.

anyways i can't wait for the next episode, it looks really good!

Caity42

[54]Oct 6, 2008
    GiaMina wrote:
    i am not sure which preview you saw, i didn't see the one after the episode, but from the one i saw from a link on the interet, i didn't see jason choking anyone, but he definitely slapped Sookie hard.

During the preview that aired after the episode, they showed a clip where someone is choking Sookie and she cries out for Bill to help. Only it looks like it was during the daytime and of course he couldn't come help her.

marnirenee

[55]Oct 7, 2008
    caity, who killed gram's and who is doing these killings?

Carleeball

[56]Oct 7, 2008
    It had been awhile since I read DUD and I was shock to remeber that the killer was Rene. I love him in the series. I hope this will be changed by AB for the show.

Caity42

[57]Oct 7, 2008
    Hey, I just sent you a PM with the knowledge that I know

amaryllis88

[58]Oct 9, 2008
    • level: 20
    I haven't read this entire thread because I'm not wanting to spoil myself, but I will say that I finally broke down and bought the first book in the series. I'm reading it now, and am loving how great the narrative is so far, I really enjoy the way Harris writes.

I think somebody mentioned that the episodes that we've seen so far are only the first few chapters of the first book...Here's an interesting thing, I'm imagining Sookie as Anna Paquin, but I'm seeing a different Bill, I guess from the way he's being described in the book, I don't see him as Stephen Moyer.

blueskittle

[59]Oct 9, 2008
    Man I got all the books and read them all in about three days. All I can say is I'm totally hooked. It would be hard to explain how these books made me feel. So glad I looked into this show and even more pleased I read the books. This is by far one of the best series I've ever read, and that's saying a lot since I'm a book addict.

amaryllis88

[60]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 20
    GiaMina wrote:

I'm answering this based on my knowledge of the first book, I've yet to buy the remainder of the series (although hopefully it'll be done this week some time), but I thought Bill had mentioned to Sookie that she has to be on her deathbed, and then drink from a vampire before she could be transformed into a vampire herself. The drinks she's taken of vampire blood here and there have improved her, sort of like your daily dose of vitamins, although they seem to have adverse effects on Jason.

And now I know who the killer is, I had to finish the book last night, I couldn't wait any longer. I'm saddened and surprised, because I liked his character.

The preview of the choking that was done before last night's episode aired, was actually a dream sequence that Bill had when he was "sleeping." Jason slaps Sookie in her bedroom, thankfully Tara was there to stop him. From the preview I was thinking it was Jason choking Sookie too, but thankfully it wasn't.
    Also, they don't go into it in the episode of why Sookie got so mad at Uncle Bartlett for being there, Jason seemed oblivious until she told him about it, but no light was shed on the topic in the episode.