True Blood Forums

HBO (ended 2014)

Spoiler Thread for Discussing Books vs True Blood - all book discussions here

toxicwaffles

[61]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 2
    harihudson wrote:

Shillelagh2007 wrote:
    I have a general question for those who've read the books.... Do you think Ball is going to mirror the books to the "T"? I don't want to get to attached to this show if Bill's character is going to get written off of the show or if Bill's character on the show is only using Sookie. Hope you can shed some light! Thanks, Shill

Your guess is as good as any. I personally think TV Bill will not mirror Book Bill - only because of the way I have heard/read of the creator's (Alan Ball) glowing description of Bill.

I hope so! I love tv Bill.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TesserT

[62]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 81
    Fantasy Girl site

Found this site with a Comparison of HBO's True Blood versus Charlaine Harris' books. The author has read all the books & puts all the info in a nice chart. You can leave comments and/or questions. Let me know what you think.

amaryllis88

[63]Oct 15, 2008
    • level: 20

I find it interesting that the first two women (Maudette & Dawn) were killed by strangulation, and then Adele is stabbed w/ a knife. Interesting change in MO, imo, but I'm guessing since Rene figured out that Sookie wasn't home, and maybe was surprised by Adele, he had to think of a way to overpower her in a way that would seem believable. I guess he's doing the strangulating to keep it consistent w/ how he killed his sister Cindy in the first place

And on a side-note, I've been trying to find the rest of the series of books, and every bookstore that I've been in, doesn't have them! This is getting pretty difficult...I'm gonna try again today..

Prdmomof3

[64]Oct 15, 2008
    • level: 10
    when does sookie find out about the fey?? when does she get her fairy godmother?? claudette i think??

HitBattousai

[65]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 2

Shillelagh2007 wrote:
    I have a general question for those who've read the books.... Do you think Ball is going to mirror the books to the "T"? I don't want to get to attached to this show if Bill's character is going to get written off of the show or if Bill's character on the show is only using Sookie. Hope you can shed some light! Thanks, Shill

You don't have to worry about it too much regardless. Bill does take a smaller role in the series after Book 3 but is still an important character. He shows up in every book to some extent, and the TV series appears to have expanded his already strong role in the early books, so it's likely that they'll do the same later. And it is revealed during Book 6 that Bill's initial motivations towards Sookie were political in nature, but it's also very obvious by his words/actions after that detail is discovered that he genuinely loves Sookie.

harihudson

[66]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 15

Prdmomof3 wrote:
    when does sookie find out about the fey?? when does she get her fairy godmother?? claudette i think??

Sookie meets Claudine in Book 4, Dead to the World and learns more about Claudine's role in Book 5, Dead as a Doornail.

Prdmomof3

[67]Oct 16, 2008
    ty soo much!! i cant wait!! maybe i should read the first couple of books lol

Caity42

[68]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 5
    Any one ever wonder why Bill never seems to have to work hours at Fangtasia?? I was just thinking about that today. Eric has all the vamps in the area work hours at the bar, but Bill never had to. Anyone have an clue?

queenk123

[69]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 8
    Maybe he got an exemption because of his work for the Queen (i.e seducing Sookie and the database) ... though I'm not sure how Sophie-Ann would have explained the first job to Eric ... since he said he didn't know about Bill's missions ....

Caity42

[70]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 5
    The only thing I could think of was that since he was in Bon Temps and not Shreveport it might explain it. But I thought either Eric or Bill said all the vamps in area 5 participate. huh......

blueskittle

[71]Oct 16, 2008
    I'm considering getting "Many Bloody Returns" and I wanted to see if anyone has read it and considers it a good buy.

queenk123

[72]Oct 17, 2008
    • level: 8
    blueskittle wrote:
    I'm considering getting "Many Bloody Returns" and I wanted to see if anyone has read it and considers it a good buy.

It's definitely a worthwhile read ... the Sookie and Dresden Files stories are great and the others are good too!

blueskittle

[73]Oct 17, 2008
    Thanks a lot, I'll head out to get it today.

Shillelagh2007

[74]Oct 19, 2008
    • level: 4

I don't know how to reply to a part of thread that answered my question so I just want to say thank you to those who've responded to my questions. I appreciate it.

Shill

Drshelton

[75]Oct 19, 2008
    Shillelagh2007 wrote:

I don't know how to reply to a part of thread that answered my question so I just want to say thank you to those who've responded to my questions. I appreciate it.

Shill

Ditto. I haven't read any of the books and reading all of this information from everyone has not affected my thirst for true blood. Love this show!

pErikita

[76]Oct 23, 2008
    • level: 6
    I was just going throught the HBO site for True Blood and saw that they've chosen an actor for Quinn already! Even if Quinn is definitely not my favourite character (don't ask why) I was so glad to see this!!!
    And apparently, it's gonna be Vin Diesel whos gonna play the part. This mught just be speculation, but somehow he fits perfectly into Quinn's shoes, dont y'all think?
    Anyway, just thought I might share, and sorry if someone posted this before

Shillelagh2007

[77]Oct 24, 2008
    I think Charlene said she LOVES Vin Diesal so that's not surprising!

harihudson

[78]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 15

pErikita wrote:
    I was just going throught the HBO site for True Blood and saw that they've chosen an actor for Quinn already! Even if Quinn is definitely not my favourite character (don't ask why) I was so glad to see this!!! And apparently, it's gonna be Vin Diesel whos gonna play the part. This mught just be speculation, but somehow he fits perfectly into Quinn's shoes, dont y'all think? Anyway, just thought I might share, and sorry if someone posted this before

Geesh, I hope it is only speculation! I realize the casting doesn't have to be exact to the described book character, but Quinn is taller/bigger than Eric. I can't imagine Diesel accepting a TV role either. I'm sure some other actor would be willing to keep his head shaved for such an interesting role. I don't find Kevin Durand (played major bad guy in Lost) attractive (don't find Diesel attractive either), but I think he would be a good fit physically, age appropriate, and possess the required acting abilities for Quinn.

pErikita

[79]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 6
    Caity42 wrote:
    My guess is that it is Jason that is choking her. Remember in the first book after he learns that Gran died he slapped her so hard it left a bruise. Now he is getting addicted to V and is starting to get meaner and on the preview he looked like he was "high" when he came into the house.

Wonder what they're gonna do with Jason... His addiction to V, at least from my point of view, seems a lil bit too far fetched... I don't know... Besides, in the books, CH said that people addicted to V are punished by the vamps... wonder how Jason's addiction is gonna end... Besides, who's this Amy gal? I read the first books a looooong time ago, but I don't recall any Amy... Would someone enlight me plz?

amaryllis88

[80]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 20
    pErikita wrote:
    Besides, who's this Amy gal? I read the first books a looooong time ago, but I don't recall any Amy... Would someone enlight me plz?

Since I'm reading the series now, it's all fresh in my head, most of it anyway. Amy Burley is a cousin to somebody at the bar (either patron or worker), and she ended up working at Merlotte's since they were short-handed. If they stay true to the book...
    ***SPOILER***
    . And they did have Jason sleep w/ her as well, so that part puts more blame onto him.

I did finally find the series of books, and am currently on the 4th book, "Dead to the World," which is pretty darn good. I don't remember Quin's character, does he come later on?