True Blood Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOIn Season

Spoiler Thread for Discussing Books vs True Blood - all book discussions here

pErikita

[81]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 6
    He'll come soon enough I believe he appears in either book 4 or book 5, you'll know Quinn when he's described Oh! and thanx for the info on Amy!
    Edited on 10/24/2008 3:28pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

amaryllis88

[82]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 20
    Thanks, I'm almost finished w/ the fourth book...moving right along. And a piece of trivia for people out there, in Book 2, they mention a character, Jan Fowler, who is part of the whole sex party thing...well I brought that up to bring this up, on Wednesday's episode of CSI:NY, one of the deceased's characters names was Jan Fowler. I thought that was pretty interesting and funny at the same time, maybe one of the writers is reading a little bit of the True Blood series? Or it could be purely coincidental! I just thought that was interesting.

blueskittle

[83]Oct 26, 2008
    • level: 10
    You know I though of Vin after I read the books. I think he's a good choice, although I'm open to different people. Some of the cast thus far does not match how I thought they should look. But so far so good.You can't be perfect. Maybe Dominc Purcell would be good, but I like him with hair, he's the only thing that saved Blade trinity for me. Smoking Hot...Maybe he could do Alcide athough they don't have sex.. Who knows?
    Edited on 10/26/2008 4:56pm

amaryllis88

[84]Oct 27, 2008
    pErikita wrote:
    He'll come soon enough I believe he appears in either book 4 or book 5, you'll know Quinn when he's described Oh! and thanx for the info on Amy!

I finished reading 'Dead as a Doornail,' and that's the one where you first meet Quinn. Thanks for the heads up on his introduction, you were right, you can't miss his description. You first read about him during Colonel Flood's funeral, and then you learn more about him doing the packmaster competition, since he's the ref. I'm kinda blown away by his description, and the way he carries himself, but I'm not sure if I'm really liking his character all that much.

I mean, we find out that Bill had ulterior motives in seeking out Sookie, and thanks to being highly involved in all the supernatural things around her, if I were Sookie, I'd be questioning why he'd want to go out with me, after he obviously knows she's a telepath. It seems that everybody wants a piece of Sookie.

pErikita

[85]Oct 27, 2008
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    It seems that everybody wants a piece of Sookie.

I know... still, there's one character I'd love to get EVERY piece of Sookie! But I'm not gonna spoil it for u, lemme know when you finish all the books and I'll tell u, hehe

amaryllis88

[86]Oct 27, 2008
    pErikita wrote:
    I know... still, there's one character I'd love to get EVERY piece of Sookie! But I'm not gonna spoil it for u, lemme know when you finish all the books and I'll tell u, hehe

Will do! I'm about to begin reading the fifth book tonight...is her latest book "Dead to Worse?" Is that the one that has just come out and is in hardback?

Caity42

[87]Oct 27, 2008
    • level: 5
    yeah, the latest is From Dead to Worse. It came out in May and is still in hardback only.

harihudson

[88]Oct 27, 2008
    • level: 15

amaryllis88 wrote:
    I'm about to begin reading the fifth book tonight...is her latest book "Dead to Worse?" Is that the one that has just come out and is in hardback?

Did you skip some or just mistakenly put the wrong number? I'm anxiously awaiting #9!

1. Dead Until Dark
    2. Living Dead in Dallas
    3. Club Dead
    4. Dead to the World

These are short stories (in red) that appear in other collections (first title).

4a. Bite ("One Word Answer") Bill, Bubba, Sookie, Mr. Cataliades
    4b. Powers of Detection ("Fairy Dust") Sookie, Claudine, Claude
    4c. Many Bloody Returns ("Dracula Night") Sookie, Eric, Pam, Colonel Flood, Calvin - Halloween story

5. Dead as a Doornail
    6. Definitely Dead
    7. All Together Dead
    8. From Dead to Worse
    9. Dead and Gone (working title, hopefully 2009)

There are a couple other collections (1 published this month, 1 coming in December). Author list's them in biblio for "Sookie", but I haven't read them yet.

Edited on 10/27/2008 7:56pm

queenk123

[89]Oct 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    Just thought I'd add one to the list : 8a. "Gift Wrap" from Wolfsbane and Mistletoe. The whole anthology is full of stories about werewolves at Christmas. The story is ok, though I think of the short storie, "Fairy Dust" is the best (though I have yet to read One Word Answer).

harihudson

[90]Oct 28, 2008

queenk123 wrote:
    Just thought I'd add one to the list : 8a. "Gift Wrap" from Wolfsbane and Mistletoe. ..."Fairy Dust" is the best (though I have yet to read One Word Answer).

Is Sookie or any known "Sookie universe" werewolf characters in "Gift Wrap"? Or is it 1 of the "Sookie universe" where same rules apply, but there are all new characters? I've enjoyed just about everything Harris has written, but if no Sookie or known Sookie characters are in it, that's one less book I need to buy.

amaryllis88

[91]Oct 28, 2008
    harihudson wrote:

amaryllis88 wrote:
    I'm about to begin reading the fifth book tonight...is her latest book "Dead to Worse?" Is that the one that has just come out and is in hardback?

Did you skip some or just mistakenly put the wrong number? I'm anxiously awaiting #9!

1. Dead Until Dark
    2. Living Dead in Dallas
    3. Club Dead
    4. Dead to the World

These are short stories (in red) that appear in other collections (first title).

4a. Bite ("One Word Answer") Bill, Bubba, Sookie, Mr. Cataliades
    4b. Powers of Detection ("Fairy Dust") Sookie, Claudine, Claude
    4c. Many Bloody Returns ("Dracula Night") Sookie, Eric, Pam, Colonel Flood, Calvin - Halloween story

5. Dead as a Doornail
    6. Definitely Dead
    7. All Together Dead
    8. From Dead to Worse
    9. Dead and Gone (working title, hopefully 2009)

There are a couple other collections (1 published this month, 1 coming in December). Author list's them in biblio for "Sookie", but I haven't read them yet.

I was actually speaking on another tangent in the same sentence, might've been confusing, my bad! Anyway, I've been reading them in order as you have listed, and I'd love to read those short stories as well. I was just asking if From Dead To Worse was still in hardback, in the same sentence that I mentioned beginning on the fifth book. Sorry to confuse!

harihudson

[92]Oct 28, 2008

Gotcha . Just don't want anyone missing all the supernatural/paranormal/horror/romance/sex goodness!

I'm only purchasing paperbacks myself in that series and the 8th one isn't released as paperback until Spring '09.

pErikita

[93]Oct 28, 2008
    I think the 9th book will be published around May (or was it March? -definitely hope it's March ;P) Anyways, the short stories are: "Fairy Dust" from Powers of Detection (it takes place between Dead to the World and Dead as a Dornail) "Dancers in the Dark" from Night's Edge(between DtD and DaaD. Aa Sookie-universe story without Sookie Stackhouse) "One Word Answer" from Bite -sometimes figures as sothern vampire mysteries 4.5 (also between DtD and DaaD) "Tacky" from My Big, Fat Supernatural Wedding (between Definitely Dead and All Together Dead. Also Sookie-universe without Sookie herself) "Dracula Night" from Many Bloody Returns (which I LOVED and takes place between ATD and From Dead to Worse) "Gift Wrap" from Wolfsbane and Mistletoe (After FDtW, didn't really like it, but meh) And there's a new one coming out in another anthology (December this year,) the title of the short story hasn't been released, but the book's name is Unusual Suspects Hope you found this useful!!!!

queenk123

[95]Oct 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    harihudson wrote:

queenk123 wrote:
    Just thought I'd add one to the list : 8a. "Gift Wrap" from Wolfsbane and Mistletoe. ..."Fairy Dust" is the best (though I have yet to read One Word Answer).

Is Sookie or any known "Sookie universe" werewolf characters in "Gift Wrap"? Or is it 1 of the "Sookie universe" where same rules apply, but there are all new characters? I've enjoyed just about everything Harris has written, but if no Sookie or known Sookie characters are in it, that's one less book I need to buy.

The story is about Sookie and how she spent Christmas Eve.

amaryllis88

[96]Nov 4, 2008
    Ok, so I'm going to throw this out there because I'm not on the show, or related to anything that goes on in the show, but I was over on the HBO boards, and I read something to the effect that the killer may or may not be the same one as the one in the book. What does everybody else think? Do you think these killings could be done by somebody other than who is really responsible, because we know that Alan Ball has changed up quite a bit from the book...so what's to stay he's sticking with the same killer? Any thoughts/opinions/comments?

Nanaluvren

[97]Nov 6, 2008

amaryllis88 wrote:
    Ok, so I'm going to throw this out there because I'm not on the show, or related to anything that goes on in the show, but I was over on the HBO boards, and I read something to the effect that the killer may or may not be the same one as the one in the book. What does everybody else think? Do you think these killings could be done by somebody other than who is really responsible, because we know that Alan Ball has changed up quite a bit from the book...so what's to stay he's sticking with the same killer? Any thoughts/opinions/comments?

I agree that Ball has strayed a bit from the original story in the books but I think this "Is **** the killer or isnt't he?" ruse is just destined to keep the novel readers guessing...I believe there might be some concerns from the HBO suits that if the show is too predictable (=same as the novels) they will lose some viewers (=novel readers).....we'll see.

HitBattousai

[98]Nov 7, 2008
    • level: 2
    At this point they've developed the killer a bit and shown at least one indication that it's the same person as in the books, so I doubt it's changed.

pErikita

[99]Nov 7, 2008
    I have to agree with both HitBattousai and Nanaluvren. Both of you got the right points. For one, the book readers need to be kept entertained, so if the show turns out to be too predictable, it might lose audience. On the other hand, I don't think many book readers would appreciate it if the actual murderer was changed, so, they might just be turning and twisting the story, but the killer is prolly the same. And I did feel some hints as to whom it is too (maybe cuz I know who the book killer is, idk)

amaryllis88

[100]Nov 7, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate people pondering on things like that. I guess my only drawback is that I like his character, and it's a shame for him to be proclaimed as the killer of these women. I know who the killer is, and I agree that there have been the hints here and there that have been placed, so I don't think it'll stray too much from what actually happens.