True Blood Forums

HBO (ended 2014)

Spoiler Thread for Discussing Books vs True Blood - all book discussions here

BiniBeans

[101]Nov 10, 2008
    • level: 21
    Okay, as of episode 10 I'd say Ball is starting to really diverge from the books. Not sure yet what I think about this latest development to be honest. Don't see where Bill making that woman a vampire will bring us but it sure isn't anywhere the books went. And this traveling tribunal is pretty far from even the pretense of vampires minstreaming it, so one's gotta wonder why they came out at all.

Anyway, at least with regard to the killer the episode should have taken care of any doubts that Ball is sticking with the original one.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pErikita

[102]Nov 10, 2008
    • level: 6
    I must admit I was kind of disappointed at Bill myself... Is he stupid or what??? (Sorry Bill) As I see it, in the tribunal, Eric doesn't want to give too much info on Sookie...

Bill: And it was the human who exposed Long Shadow. Would you tell him, Eric?
    Eric: *glare* The only reason the girl was there... was because I called her...
    Bill: To protect your wealth!!!
    Eric: ... to protect my wealth, yes! Magister, she is... valuable.

Blablabla... Am I the only one who thinks this is Eric not trying to give up what Sookie really is?
    Even knowing what we know about Bill having read all the books... And if A. Ball sticks to the story line... wouldn't he protect the Queen's interests at this point? He knows he's gonna be found guilty neway!

harihudson

[103]Nov 10, 2008
    • level: 15

pErikita wrote:
    I must admit I was kind of disappointed at Bill myself... Is he stupid or what??? (Sorry Bill) As I see it, in the tribunal, Eric doesn't want to give too much info on Sookie...

I got that feeling also - that Eric didn't want Sookie's talents to be known - maybe this Eric wants more power or just doesn't want interference from the Magistrar. I know voodoo is part of Louisiana culture, but I felt like that whole bit was a waste of time, even knowing now that it was a scam.

Nanaluvren

[104]Nov 11, 2008
    It's funny, here I was thinking that they'd stick with the books and then BAM! Ep. 10 comes along!!!WTF!? I knew they were going to eff up Bill's character, I could just feel it! I have not read all the novels yet but WHEN doeas he EVER sire another vamp to "save" Sookie from some ridiculous circus-like vamp jury!!???Seriously, they better clean this mess up before the season is over...ugh!
    Edited on 11/11/2008 9:34am

Soo63

[105]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 2
    The way the books go and the sudden storyline diversion makes me wonder if the last epi is going to end like the first book. Now I'm wondering if the murderer is really who it is in the books.

amaryllis88

[106]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 20
    When I saw that hog, I never pictured it to be THAT BIG in the book, I wonder where they would get such a huge creature to play that wild boar. Unless of course they just CGI'd it, but wouldn't it be better to get a live animal to play that part? I guess MaryAnne looks as how I would picture her, the dirty face with the weed or whatever it was in her hair did the trick, made it believable. Interesting to see her show up now, I wonder if they'll touch up on her again, or leave her as just an interesting character to look forward to in the second season. Now I'm hoping they don't follow the books word for word when it comes to the second season, I'd hate to see LaFayette gone!

blueskittle

[107]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 10
    Well I was disappointed with this episode. The story lines are just so messed up now, I think it totally mess's with the direction of the CH story. Things are happening now that cause me some serious pause. Come on I love,love, love Eric in the books so far I don't have hope for anyone thus far. Still sad about all this.

Nanaluvren

[108]Nov 13, 2008
    blueskittle wrote:
    Well I was disappointed with this episode. The story lines are just so messed up now, I think it totally mess's with the direction of the CH story. Things are happening now that cause me some serious pause. Come on I love,love, love Eric in the books so far I don't have hope for anyone thus far. Still sad about all this.
    Agree 100% (Except that my fav is Bill). The story is seriously messed up at this point and frankly, as I've posted elsewhere, I'm glad there are only two eps. left for them to screw up....ugh!
    Edited on 11/13/2008 4:04pm

kcjsmac

[109]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 1
    I have a good few issues with 1:10. where is Ball going. He had been pretty dead on to start with but now he's just getting crazy. and the trailer for next week is making it look even more distant from the books. and does any one feel like the maenad came in the picture way to early, and im starting to think its safe to say bubba is never going to show up . but on the other hand if i had never read the books i would love the show. i was just wondering if anyone else felt the same is all

Nanaluvren

[110]Nov 14, 2008

kcjsmac wrote:
    I have a good few issues with 1:10. where is Ball going. He had been pretty dead on to start with but now he's just getting crazy. and the trailer for next week is making it look even more distant from the books. and does any one feel like the maenad came in the picture way to early, and im starting to think its safe to say bubba is never going to show up . but on the other hand if i had never read the books i would love the show. i was just wondering if anyone else felt the same is all

I'm afraid the novel readers aka us are the most disappointed with where things are going....I for one am.

Honestly I'll go pick up the first two books to see if I can erase the last episodes from my mind....

TesserT

[111]Nov 14, 2008
    • level: 81
    A new TVGuide.com article (posted link in the Spoiler thread) said that for the 2nd season "Ball will combine elements from the 2nd book with original stories, much as he did for the 1st season". Not having read the books myself, I guess this means he intends to mess with the books some more.

Caity42

[112]Nov 14, 2008
    • level: 5
    TesserT wrote:
    A new TVGuide.com article (posted link in the Spoiler thread) said that for the 2nd season "Ball will combine elements from the 2nd book with original stories, much as he did for the 1st season". Not having read the books myself, I guess this means he intends to mess with the books some more.

Okay, I just got done ranting on a different thread, but this novel reader is not disappointed at all with the direction of the show in regards to the books! I don't understand why everyone is so upset!! Ball has said all along that he is going to make the show's story his own while keeping true to the "spirit" of her novels. Read spirit, not "take the story word for word and just reproduce it on screen"!!! I love what he has been doing to show. I think it has made it even more interesting and intriguing than the books. I love how he has opened the other characters up and gave them time to develop. I love the books for what they and the story are, but I think of the show as a totally different animal and enjoy it for what it is!

TesserT

[113]Nov 14, 2008
    Caity42 wrote:
    TesserT wrote:
    Okay, I just got done ranting on a different thread, but this novel reader is not disappointed at all with the direction of the show in regards to the books! I don't understand why everyone is so upset!! Ball has said all along that he is going to make the show's story his own while keeping true to the "spirit" of her novels. Read spirit, not "take the story word for word and just reproduce it on screen"!!! I love what he has been doing to show. I think it has made it even more interesting and intriguing than the books. I love how he has opened the other characters up and gave them time to develop. I love the books for what they and the story are, but I think of the show as a totally different animal and enjoy it for what it is!
    Just reporting what Ball said his plans were! Like I said, having never read the books, I'm enjoying the show as it is. I do understand when people like how a story in a book reads, major changes to the TV adaptation can be disconcerting. I prefer to think of it as 2 separate storys - the books & the TV show. That said, I like this thread so I can find out how the show diverges from the books & I can find out how those who have read the books see those differences. So to the people who've read the books, please keep posting the differences as the show progresses. I'm enjoying the conversation here.

blueskittle

[114]Nov 14, 2008
    • level: 10
    Honestly I love this show but as I said I'm just sad to see it going so far away from CH. I know the difference between the show and Books, but if Ball changes things so early then I'm just afraid we won't get to see some things. Some of those things I would be so very sad not to see. I won't post the differences as I don't feel comfortable not messing up the spoiler thing we do here, with the colored spoiler thing. But I'm happy to answer questions if you PM me.
    Edited on 11/16/2008 9:55pm

tylersmom65

[115]Nov 17, 2008
    • level: 9
    I haven't read the books ... yet, so I don't know to be disappointed. I like the show, and Bill is my favorite also. One episode left now, a little exciting information in "to bury", can't wait to see where it takes us next week.

TesserT

[116]Nov 17, 2008
    From other things I've read in this thread, Maryann Forrester is in the books - but what is her role in the story? I'm guessing she's the hog lady but how does she fit in? Didn't trust her as she was talking to Tara. Since this is a spoiler thread you can tell me
    Edited on 11/17/2008 12:14pm

pErikita

[117]Nov 17, 2008
    Her name in the story is Callisto, she's not a social worker and she doesn't interact that much with Tara...

jude202

[118]Nov 17, 2008
    Did anyone else notice the way the Maenad said Andy Bellefleurs name, it looks as though they're sticking with that storyline, may we be seeing Portia next season?

amaryllis88

[119]Nov 17, 2008
    • level: 20
    jude202 wrote:
    Did anyone else notice the way the Maenad said Andy Bellefleurs name, it looks as though they're sticking with that storyline, may we be seeing Portia next season?

She's already been mentioned very briefly, once, when Sam & Terry were decorating the bar, Terry mentioned that his cousin Portia had those debutante balls, so since they've already kinda talked about her, I'm wondering whether she'll make an appearance. I like how they gave us a slight intro to Kenya, at the jail, but I think she was a detective in the books.
    MaryAnne is a maenad, and apparently her scratches are pretty lethal. Doesn't she take the shape of an animal, or am I thinking wrong? In the books, Sam has a brief foray with her character in the woods, but only as a collie I think.

queenk123

[120]Nov 18, 2008
    • level: 8
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    I like how they gave us a slight intro to Kenya, at the jail, but I think she was a detective in the books.

I think the only detectives mentioned in the books are Andy Bellefleur and Alcide Beck. I'm pretty sure Kenya was a regular officer.