True Blood Forums

HBO (ended 2014)

Spoiler Thread for Discussing Books vs True Blood - all book discussions here

amaryllis88

[161]Aug 19, 2009
    • level: 20
    Because Sookie and Jason are part fae, does that make them immune to MaryAnne's powers? Just from what Daphne mentioned earlier, since they are shifters, (supernatural creatures) MaryAnne can't control them, they would have to willingly go to her. Would that be the same for Sookie & Jason? I'm sure she'd have no affect on vampires either, or any other supernatural creature for that matter.

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions/comments? I'm quite curious!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

beowulf579

[162]Aug 19, 2009
    • level: 59
    My first thought is, Are Sookie and Jason part Fae on this show? Or is that going to be a purely book plot?
    Also, from the books, did Jason have any abilities at all?

I've been wondering about Andy. He is the only "human" not to have been affected by Maryann. I guess we could add Lafayette and Tara's mom to that list, but given the context that might not be true.

amaryllis88

[163]Aug 20, 2009
    beowulf579 wrote:
    My first thought is, Are Sookie and Jason part Fae on this show? Or is that going to be a purely book plot?

I've been wondering about Andy. He is the only "human" not to have been affected by Maryann. I guess we could add Lafayette and Tara's mom to that list, but given the context that might not be true.

I'm not sure what episode of Season 1 it was, but it's when Sookie & Gran are having a conversation in the kitchen, and Gran mentions that Sookie's grandfather could "sense" things as well. I don't know what direction they're hoping to take the show in, if they're going to follow the general idea of how Sookie got her telepathy.

With Jason, his only special ability was the ease of which he attracted females. Whether that's a special ability or not...some men might argue on that subject

I guess we'll eventually find out whether Lafayette & Lettie Mae are affected or not in upcoming episodes, they haven't been as exposed to MaryAnne as the rest of the townsfolk have. (Townsfolk reminds me of pitchforks). lol

mporter8

[164]Aug 20, 2009
    • level: 3
    I haven't decided yet whether the show will take the same direction as the books and have it revealed that Sookie is part-fae. On one hand, there have been many instances where vampires have commented on her being "different" such as when Bill first tasted her blood and said it tasted differently (Barry the Bellboy also "tasted differently") and Eric's fascination with her is too strong to be simple attraction. On the other hand, I could see Ball ignoring the Fairy race and simply labeling what they are in the supernatural community as "Telepaths" which would be ashame because I would love it if he introduced Claudine and eventually Nigel. The show has been enriched by having Tara, Lafayette, and Jason as main characters but unfortunately it may come at the expense of some really good characters in the later book such as Alcide, Claudine, Nigel, and Alcide.

HMVincent

[165]Aug 20, 2009
    • level: 7

An author can add and subtract characters pretty easily, or drop one for a few chapters (or volumes) and pick him or her up later. Once the book is published, the fans and critics can pick and poke and quibble.

A television series doesn't have that freedom. Cast and crew have to be hired, they have contracts, they have plans for the months ahead. And fans and critics pick and poke and quibble immediately, ENDLESSLY.

There are plenty of existing characters who either did not exist in the books or they had much smaller parts there. Maybe Arlene will find herself levitating, or Terry will turn into a wolf, or something. Both Lafayette and Mike the coroner died early on in the books, but we see them on TV. Thank goodness Lafayette is still there! And I like John Billingsley.

beowulf579

[166]Aug 20, 2009
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    beowulf579 wrote:

I'm not sure what episode of Season 1 it was, but it's when Sookie & Gran are having a conversation in the kitchen, and Gran mentions that Sookie's grandfather could "sense" things as well. I don't know what direction they're hoping to take the show in, if they're going to follow the general idea of how Sookie got her telepathy.

With Jason, his only special ability was the ease of which he attracted females. Whether that's a special ability or not...some men might argue on that subject

I guess we'll eventually find out whether Lafayette & Lettie Mae are affected or not in upcoming episodes, they haven't been as exposed to MaryAnne as the rest of the townsfolk have. (Townsfolk reminds me of pitchforks). lol

Also, Erik even told Bill's maker that she was more than human if I remember correctly.
    In regards to Jason, being that way could be attributed to being Fae. If memory serves, there have been many stories about how handsome or beautiful fae are to humans. Though, would it be on par with a being read minds as a power..probably not.
    Hmmm....so...what's next for Jason? New girl? Kicking butt?

SMGslayer97

[167]Aug 21, 2009
    • level: 34
    Two questions, one does anyone know if there are any plans to bring back Allan Hyde as Godric this season obviously in flashbacks?

amaryllis88

[168]Aug 21, 2009
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    Two questions, one does anyone know if there are any plans to bring back Allan Hyde as Godric this season obviously in flashbacks?

According to IMDB, he's only listed in 4 episodes, whether there's consideration in bringing him back for a flashback scene, I don't know. He did an excellent job portraying Godric on-screen, I wish he were there for longer instead of his short stint.

scrabblemaster

[169]Aug 21, 2009
    I hope in the 3rd season, Bill and Sookie break up like they do in the books. Eventually I would like the Eric/Sookie thing to happen.

HMVincent

[170]Aug 21, 2009

Allan Hyde, who plays Godric, has a lovely accent. I did not know till this weekend that he is Danish; long live the Danes! The scene where Eric begs Godric to stay is wrenching.

Eric begs Godric to stay. Please, please, says Eric.

SMGslayer97

[171]Aug 22, 2009
    • level: 34
    HMVincent wrote:

Allan Hyde, who plays Godric, has a lovely accent. I did not know till this weekend that he is Danish; long live the Danes! The scene where Eric begs Godric to stay is wrenching.

Eric begs Godric to stay. Please, please, says Eric.

Utterly heart wrenching but that's what makes it one of the best True Blood scenes of all time. Allan and Alexander were so amazing in it.

harihudson

[172]Aug 22, 2009
    • level: 15

amaryllis88 wrote:
    Because Sookie and Jason are part fae, does that make them immune to MaryAnne's powers? Just from what Daphne mentioned earlier, since they are shifters, (supernatural creatures) MaryAnne can't control them, they would have to willingly go to her. Would that be the same for Sookie & Jason? I'm sure she'd have no affect on vampires either, or any other supernatural creature for that matter.
    Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions/comments? I'm quite curious!

In the book, I don't know if MaryAnne really targeted Sookie directly. Sookie was in danger of being driven mad because she was affected by the other humans being targeted by MaryAnne; spillover when she sent the madness into them. MaryAnne had limited interested in dead things, but Eric and Bill, didn't want to mess with her, so I'm not sure what she could have done to them. I do remember Eric mentioning that a vampire was driven mad by a maenad and killed alot of people. Eric was involved in the cleanup back in the day.

We haven't seen MaryAnne poisoning anyone else in the show other than Sookie. How does MaryAnne use people's energy? emotions? once she gets them into her orbit? Are only vulnerable people at risk? Or when you're defenses are down - like Sheriff Bud? Sookie seems to be fairly self assured, so she wouldn't be vulnerable in that sense.

As much as I'm curious how MaryAnne is getting off on all this chaos, I'm ready for that storyline to be down too.

mporter8

[173]Aug 24, 2009
    • level: 3
    Last nights episode shed more light on where they are going with Sookie's powers. I think it's going to come out soon, hopefully in the finale, that Sookie is indeed a fae-descendant. I remember in the book it was one of the Queen's bodyguards who first realized what Sookie was, maybe they will have the Queen reveal it.

lpoland05

[174]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 1

Can Eric Fly? I haven't seen him fly in the series?

HMVincent

[175]Aug 28, 2009
    lpoland05 wrote:

He seemed to hover outside Lafayette's window. It won't surprise me to see him fly next season.

beowulf579

[176]Aug 28, 2009
    HMVincent wrote:
    lpoland05 wrote:

He seemed to hover outside Lafayette's window. It won't surprise me to see him fly next season.

I think he was just standing there.

HMVincent

[177]Aug 29, 2009
    beowulf579 wrote:
    I think he was just standing there.

I may be reading too much into this, but the books tell us he flies, so is the show setting us up for it?

Eric says, "Well I must fly."

Link to segment of ep.4, "Shake and Fingerpop"

TesserT

[178]Sep 11, 2009
    • level: 84
    EW.com's Shelf Life: Ever tempted to skip around in a book series like True Blood? by Mandy Bierly

Her question: Do I skip Books 2 and 3, vowing to return to them even though I know I won't to get to scenes of showering Eric quicker, or do I exercise restraint? She took the question to Twitter, and Harris fans talked her down.

Twitter response: "Do NOT by any means skip book 2!!! Eric at the orgy is hilarious!" "Book 2: pink spandex bodysuit… Book 3: he, um, makes 1st 'contact' w/Sookie. Plus many many other essential things." "Nooo! You can't skip them! Besides there is an awesome Sookie/Eric scene on a hood of a car in book 3. You gotta have build up."

You're welcome to leave her comments via the link above.

24Ashan24

[179]Oct 13, 2009
    • level: 6

My main disappointment is the fact that they did not have Bubba in the show! I mean he is such a help to Sook in many situations, seems to show up when needed...

WHY oh WHY?

TesserT

[180]Feb 6, 2010
    • level: 84
    I'm bumping this thread up since there are a lot of single threads showing up that fall under this thread's topic. Here's where all the discussions/comparisons about the books vs the TV series should be posted. There's lots of good stuff in this thread.