True Blood Forums

HBO (ended 2014)

What is that thing in the opening credits?

winterbehaviour

[1]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 22
    In the opening credits right at the begining there is something in the water that looks like some sort of prehistoric fish or amphibian but what is it? Is it a real creature that lives in America?
    I'm talking about the very first image right before the aligator if anyone knows anything about this please enlighten me cos its perplexed me ever since I first saw it!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DarkBeauty73

[2]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 9
    It is a catfish. Hope that helps.

winterbehaviour

[3]Sep 25, 2008
    DarkBeauty73 wrote:
    It is a catfish. Hope that helps.

Oh yeah... duh! I'm so silly sometimes its just on the screen so quickly I didn't get a chance to catch what it was! Thanks

Jahnin

[4]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 9
    Before anybody asks any of the others. The fish is a catfish, the roadkill is a opossum, the thing being eaten by bugs is a fox, and the bug emerging from it's shell is a cicada(a common and very loud summer bug in the south).

winterbehaviour

[5]Sep 25, 2008
    Jahnin wrote:
    Before anybody asks any of the others. The fish is a catfish, the roadkill is a opossum, the thing being eaten by bugs is a fox, and the bug emerging from it's shell is a cicada(a common and very loud summer bug in the south).

Ah cheers, I didnt realise the roadkill was aa opossum (possum?) We don't have them in Britain and Ireland not sure about mainland Europe though.

TesserT

[6]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 76
    FYI: Opossum is the correct name for the only living marsupial in North America. They are commonly called possums. Possum refers to any of around 64 small to medium size arboreal marsupial species native to Australia, New Guinea, and Sulawesi - they were named after opossums which they resemble.
    Edited on 09/26/2008 9:47pm

HMVincent

[7]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 7
    FYI opossums have more teeth than any other land animal in North America: fifty of 'em, count them: fifty. They are primitive: they have smooth brains. They used to come into my apartment at night when I blocked the door open for my cats. An opossum has black eyes, a pink nose, black toes with white claws. It barks (sounds like a cough). When one plays dead, it doesn't look dead, it looks sick, eyes rolled back and mouth drooling. I live in a well-populated area, where creatures of the night don't include vampires, but do include opossums, skunks, and little deer.

HMVincent

[8]Sep 27, 2008

Catfish from opening credits is here:

Start of opening credits, showing an underwater denizen.

Edited on 10/04/2008 10:56am

winterbehaviour

[9]Sep 27, 2008
    Thank you for the still now that I can see the image I can see it is not a catfish at all. This is an amphibian you can see it has external gills and you can even see one of its legs. Catfish do not have external gills. it looks like an Axolotl- an salamander that never loses its gills.

Compare this picture of an Axolotl:

http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/articles/axolotl-2.jpg

With your still from the show:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/HMVincent/TrueBlood/catfish.jpg

And then compare that with a picture of an actual catfish here: http://z.about.com/d/cleveland/1/0/I/X/-/-/catfish.jpg

You can see it is not a catfish at all.
    I am very fond of amphibians and did a lot my art work about them so I should have guessed that is what it is really.

HMVincent

[10]Sep 27, 2008

winterbehaviour wrote:
    You can see it is not a catfish at all. I am very fond of amphibians and did a lot my art work about them so I should have guessed that is what it is really.

Oh man! (slaps upside the head.) I must have been affected by the weirdness of the show. Well, that's my excuse. My brother has kept axolotls as pets, and I should have known better.

They should have used a catfish, don't you think? oh, I'm laughin' at myself now!

winterbehaviour

[11]Sep 27, 2008
    HMVincent wrote:

Oh man! (slaps upside the head.) I must have been affected by the weirdness of the show. Well, that's my excuse. My brother has kept axolotls as pets, and I should have known better.

They should have used a catfish, don't you think? oh, I'm laughin' at myself now!

Yes it was very confusing wasn't it! At least I wasn't the only one dumbfounded! A catfish would have been a lot simplier! Though that whole opening sequence is pretty confusing anyway. I sure feel like an idiot too I should have realised right away

darkcloud456

[12]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 3

Jahnin wrote:

Cicada is the most annoying thing in the world. We have a rediculous ammount of those here in Arizona, can hear the constant buzzing anywhere near trees or bushes.

HMVincent

[13]Oct 16, 2008

darkcloud456 wrote:
    Cicada is the most annoying thing in the world.

My dear killer cat liked to eat them. They were a good source of protein. Unlike with birds and vermin, she never glurked them up afterward.

tribalchic

[14]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 17
    HMVincent wrote:

Catfish from opening credits is here:

Start of opening credits, showing an underwater denizen.

ewww.....I went to a restaurant in Louisiana where they served them exactly like that (it looked like it hopped on the plate straight out of the swamp) it was the most disturbing thing i've ever seen.

HMVincent

[15]Oct 16, 2008

tribalchic wrote:
    ewww.....I went to a restaurant in Louisiana where they served them exactly like that (it looked like it hopped on the plate straight out of the swamp) it was the most disturbing thing i've ever seen.

I've never eaten axolotl, but I've eaten catfish. Good stuff. I ate raw oysters for the first time in New Orleans, 20 years ago. I wish I could go to NOLA every weekend, just to eat. Oyster po'boys, dressed! Bread pudding with whisky sauce! Red beans and rice! Crawfish etoufee! My friend and I went to Mosca's Roadhouse (I wonder if it's still there?) upriver on the other side from N.O., can't remember the town's name. My friend had oyster pie, into which he allowed me to plow. I had roast squab with dirty rice. If I were a god, I would fix New Orleans of all its ills and give myself permanent honorary residence, plus a permanent pass to the zoological park there. Loup Garoup, if you're reading this, I salute you.

TesserT

[16]Oct 17, 2008
    • level: 76
    HMVincent wrote:

tribalchic wrote:

I've never eaten axolotl, but I've eaten catfish. Good stuff. I ate raw oysters for the first time in New Orleans, 20 years ago. I wish I could go to NOLA every weekend, just to eat. Oyster po'boys, dressed! Bread pudding with whisky sauce! Red beans and rice! Crawfish etoufee! My friend and I went to Mosca's Roadhouse (I wonder if it's still there?) upriver on the other side from N.O., can't remember the town's name. My friend had oyster pie, into which he allowed me to plow. I had roast squab with dirty rice. If I were a god, I would fix New Orleans of all its ills and give myself permanent honorary residence, plus a permanent pass to the zoological park there. Loup Garoup, if you're reading this, I salute you.

Mosca's Roadhouse is on Hwy. 90 West in Avondale, LA. It's still there - at least as of this summer.

HMVincent

[17]Oct 17, 2008

TesserT wrote:
    Mosca's Roadhouse is on Hwy. 90 West in Avondale, LA. It's still there - at least as of this summer.

Another salute, to the master of the house. Wonderful kitchen! Thank you for the town's name, I knew it started with an A, like Axolotl, or Anna Paquin, or Adele Stackhouse.

winterbehaviour

[18]Oct 18, 2008
    tribalchic wrote:

EW EW EW!!!!! That is beyond gross!! I'd like to try Southern food but not an Axolotl!!!
    Edited on 10/18/2008 4:23am

amaryllis88

[19]Oct 18, 2008
    • level: 20
    So..since we're into investigating what things are, maybe people might know what that potty chair is? HMVincent has a great shot of it in the "Cold Ground," thread, I'd love to know from what time period that thing is from, and what's its use? Any ideas?

harihudson

[20]Oct 19, 2008
    • level: 15

amaryllis88 wrote:
    So..since we're into investigating what things are, maybe people might know what that potty chair is? HMVincent has a great shot of it in the "Cold Ground," thread, I'd love to know from what time period that thing is from, and what's its use? Any ideas?

The image sure looks like a commode chair. You'll probably find some info searching for some combination of "antique" or 18th/19th century "wooden commode chair" instead of potty. Historically, using the bathroom was less private or even a social activity (Roman communal). Some chairs were really elaborate in decoration since it would sit in a bedroom.