True Blood

I Wish I Was the Moon

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jul 31, 2011 on HBO

• If you go into the woods today, you're in for a sexy surprise...

5.5

There's a lot of time spent in the woods during this episode. Sookie is traipsing about the place being eaten alive by mosquitoes, searching for her brother Jason, who believes he's about to turn into a were-panther. Debbie and Alcide are conveniently walking in the same direction as Sookie and drop off a bit of handy exposition on their way to a pack meeting (how long was Sookie walking for? Did she make it to shreveport and back?). And Jessica and Jason have a cute discussion lying on the grass about what it's like to be a supernatural being. Oh, and Sookie and Eric cap everything off with a romp in the woods, making forest sex look way more comfortable than it ever should be.

There are moments I enjoyed here, but for the most part, ''I Wish I was the Moon'' is a bit of damp squid. The hour begins with a feisty verbal showdown between Sookie and Bill, cementing that both characters are infinitely more tolerable when they use their mouths for more than just snogging. And Bill, actually, gets a particularly catty line for once: ''Believe it or not, my entire existence does not revolve around what or who is between your legs.'' Go on with your bad self, Bill! You tell Sookie off!

In fact, the hour benefits greatly from quite a few cracking one-liners. Some of the plot elements may not work too well, but I definitely got a chuckle or two from each of 'em.

Tommy's situation is intriguing for once, and Sam Trammell gives a terrific performance as Tommy-as-Sam. He nails every single mannerism and completely discards all of Sam Merlotte's traits that make him a likeable, compassionate character, even right down to the way he walks. Tommy may have had no control over his transformation (it was a full moon, and Sam did mention in season one that he cannot control his shifts on a full moon); however, it was entirely Tommy's decision to fire Sookie, and then sleep with Luna and swiftly throw her out soon afterwards.

Elsewhere, Arlene and Terry are still being haunted by a very unfriendly ghost, and their son, Mikey, can see a female apparition. So I guess we can safely rule out Renee as the culprit behind this tedious storyline. Lafayette and Jesus, however, fair slightly better this week, as it's revealed that our Lala has a gift. This plot came dangerously close to rivalling the baby boom story to be the first one to send me to sleep, but then Jesus' Grandpa turned into a demon and force-fed his Grandson to a rattlesnake. Classic Grandpa maneuver.

There's quite a bit of posturing/stalling that comes with Bill imposing the true death upon Eric. It's played out entirely straight, when we all know too well that Bill would never kill Eric. Decapitating one of the show's main characters, arguably the biggest crowd-pleaser of them all, just wouldn't be good business. And so it felt entirely pointless of Bill to indict that Eric was a hazard to vampires everywhere, partly as a King, but mostly out of jealousy. The conclusion, that Bill decided to release Eric moments before his death because* of Eric's love for Sookie, came across as corny and lame.

I have no interest in any of this vampire luvvy duvvy crap anymore. Another not-so-great episode of season 4.

A crazy episode of True Blood tonight. I liked it for the most part, but I think the show has jumped the shark and Jason explained why when he said that everyone is now half human half something else in this town. It is getting a little bit ridiculous. While I don't quite need a notepad to keep track of where everything stands these days, it might not be too long before that is the case.

While I liked the episode for the most part, I did not like the lack of explanation as to why Bill just let Eric live. They should have given a reason for why that happened, but I guess they just wanted to have that Sookie and Eric moment so bad they didn't care how they got there.

Oh well, halfway through the season and I can say that it was enjoyable.
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream...

Jason's first full moon brings the entire Bon Temp to the forest, for King Bill demanded the fairy's viking boy she refused (because he was the maker of one of her non-worshipers). The King seeks to punish her disobedience, only to realize her disobedience has actually punished him, as he wonders alone under the full moon, the viking boy's wereabouts remain a mystery.

And so are Jason's, until he stumbles upon the only vampire who can feel his pain. As Jessica comforts him, Alcide comfort the audience once he assures that a werepanter Jason most definitely ain't. If only it were that easy for baby Mikey's family (but at least they escape from the fire in a way Antonia couln't escape).

And so Jason's first full mon brings the entire Bon Temps out, not the least of them his own sister, wondering throughout the forest, Sookie finds the Viking boy the King could not bring himself to kill. For the full moon casted a spell, so powerful on them, that the fae falls for the viking without memories to amend. And if these visions have offended you, think its nothing but a dream.
  • I Wish I Was the Moon

I Wish I Was the Moon was a superb and entertaining episode of True Blood. I really enjoyed watching this episode because most of the characters have to deal with their emotions or feelings in some way and others have to deal with circumstances beyond their control. I thought it was great how Bill dealt with Eric and it was nice to see he still cares for Sookie. I like where all the characters story lines are going. This season is starting to get dark. Alcide and Debbie encounter a Louisiana Pack Master who wants them to join the pack. Lafayette and Jesus have a creepy encounter with Jesus's grandfather who deals with dark magic. Marnie learns more about her spirit protector. Eric and Sookie finally feel free in the woods under the full moon. I can't wait to watch the next episode of True Blood!!!!!!!
  • Scary good!

Wow! This episode was pretty scary. And just when I thought TB couldn't get any better, it actually did!

I loved this episode because it had a nice story, some sentimental dialogues, believable characters etc.

True Blood is the only show that makes me think about LOST.

Like LOST, TB never lets me down. I'm in love with the characters.

It's like an addiction, really. I love TB to death. I wish it never ends. :)
  • I dont really like season 4 so far...

Am really sorry to say this cause am a big fan of this show but i really dont like were this season is heading.I may be the only one who feels this way but this season is going downhill for me.I have big expectations for this show cause i ve read the books and i now it has a lot more potential.I think the season so far its just a big ball of mess with no idea where its heading and why.I mean the 4th book is one of my faves and i know that they dont really follow the books but still this season has nothing to do with the book except the part with the witches and the Eric and Sookie connection which is the only reason i like this season so far.Everything else just dont make sense to me.I really hope the upcoming episodes are better.
  • Fear and Romance Under the Moon

It's the full moon, and you know what that means. The best True Blood episode of Season 4 has appeared. Bill interrupts Sookie and Eric to take Eric captive as he believes that Eric is under Marnie's necromantic influence and requests the true death for Eric while Eric doesn't want to remember what he was before whilst being talked to by Pam. It was a surprising turn at the end of the episode when Bill let Eric go seeing that he truly did love Sookie and it validates that he was just doing it for his own personal payback (something that Nan hinted at). Tommy got interesting when his newfound skinwalker ability kicks in and makes his Sam in which he fires Sookie and sleeps with Luna and makes an ass out of himself which will no doubt not go over well with the real Sam who had to deal with Arlene and Holly's houses burning down supposedly happening thanks to Omen baby Mikey who was already outside when the fire started and with that creepy doll. Alcide faces the choice of joining the pack when Debby urges with him that she needs a sense of community to stay grounded and learn that Jason won't in fact turn into a werepanther since it is only genetic and can't be passed from biting, what a relief. The real winning scene was Jessica and Jason under the stars and her not wanting him to be alone if he did transform and her explaining why she wouldn't want to go back to being human even if she could. A spark has been lit between the two of them and hopefully it won't bite them too hard on the ass later down the road. Marnie continues to see the spirits of the witch who was burned in Spain and opens herself up to her possession and subdues the Spanish priest vampire with a few cool hand gestures. Tara's girlfriend appears to find out who she really is and they begin to ease off now that they can be comfortable with each other even if Pam ruined their party a bit. Jesus and Lafayette remain in Mexico getting guidance from Jesus's grandfather to become stronger and teaches them about opening up to possession even if we don't know who Tio Luca is, Jesus' Uncle Luca? Anyway it was a great episode especially for Bill because the self sacrifice department is a hard one to manage especially when he could've easily justified killing Eric he can always un glamor Portia and pursue her instead and also Luna sleeping with Tommy/Sam made me extremely angry, Tommy seems to always just ruin Sam's life even when he's not even there to enjoy the company of the beautiful woman he loves. Hopefully Luna will forgive him and will understand the whole skinwalker thing cuz I want her and Sam to defy that werewolf ex that she has.
  • Excellent TV drama

There were a couple of moments in this episode when things got less interesting. But overall it did a good job of progressing the storylines. And above all, the way the episode ends is amazing. You have to give it to TB. It's not easy for any show to create good drama, to make the viewers really understand and to some extent feel what the main characters are going through, what their choices actually mean in terms of personal sacrifice and the profoundness of this. Now, for a show like TB, that is such a high octane mix of comedy, fantasy, horror, suspense, mythology, social and political commmentary and just sheer craziness, it's even harder. Compared to a less "diverse" drama TB can't take the same level of emotional involvement from the viewer for granted. There is so much else going on that the show really has to work hard to get the viewers where it wants them for these scenes - really caring and really invested. To pull it off the way they did is incredibly impressive. This is not the first time the show has done a good job of portraying immense loss for a character. But the way this was done was masterful; it was subtle but also spelled out. First, Bill realising that Eric was actually right. Really loving Sookie actually means making even the hardest, most self-sacrificing choices, including those that mean she will end up with the one person he would least wish for, if that is what will make her happy. Then, the image of Bill standing silent, just staring out into nothing, consumed by anxiety and emptiness (possibly literally "feeling" what is going on in the woods through his connection to Sookie). And lastly, the sending off, Eric and Sookie going at it in the moonlightlight, like teenagers in love, the intense culmination of something that has been gaining strength for a long time. And you are left conflicted, not sure whether to feel sorry for Bill or happy for Sookie and Eric, or both. I'm usually not a big fan of overly dramatized romance, but this was great, gripping TV drama.
  • 4x06

That was a nice episode in which several stories are developed.
    what i liked about this episode:
    - Jason and Sookie spending time together because it's not often that we can see them together even if it's clear that they care for each other.
    - Jason and Jess was nice because we could see how Jason feels about Sookie's abilities and how Jess is feeling about her new life as a vampire.
    -Sookie and Eric and Bill: the confrontation....
    -Tommy transformation and the consequences that it will bring in the next episode
    -the "evil" baby and his parents
    -Pam decomposition
    - the witches part was interesting but bring a lot of information and is tricky....
  • Not the year of the witch, but the year of bugging the Spanish speakers to no end.

This was a really good ep. but, as a Spaniard, I wish they'd quit with the Spanish nonsense. Only Jesus can pull off a medium-credible accent, and the rest of the cast range between awful and laughable. When I listen to those supposed Spanish priests I'm just ROFLMAO. Who knew priests in medieval Spain had that strong English accent and made so many grammar mistakes??? :D It's like you're hearing the Archbishop of Canterbury talking with a Pakistani accent, so heavy you can't understand most of his speech. Weird. Please, Marnie Antonia de Todos los Santos, stop mumbling in fake Spanish, you're distracting me from the plot. Not cool!