True Blood

If You Love Me, Why Am I Dyin'?

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jul 10, 2011 on HBO

• Eric gets amnesia, Jason remains in trouble and Bill sleeps around.

After last week's episode, I had high hopes for the direction this season might take. But this episode took the goodwill garnered by the last episode and ruined it by cramming it with so much ridiculous stuff and somewhat lame storylines that I just grew fed up with it all. That being said, there WERE some really good stuff going on. I just can't look at Season 4 so far and say that it's as good as the other seasons were in their first three episodes.

I'll start with what I'm liking. The Jessica/Hoyt plot had some good payoff. We spent the first two episodes watching Jessica and Hoyt's little cutesy act disintegrate before our eyes, with Hoyt growing frustrated at Jessica's inability to make a real meal for him and Jessica being frustrated by the urges that overtake her as a vampire. It all culminated in the moment last week when Jessica fed on another man. We get an awkward heart-to-heart between Bill and Jessica and we get Jessica glamouring Hoyt into forgetting about her infidelity. Sure, perhaps Jessica and Hoyt aren't the most thrilling plotline on the show, but boy, the writers did a great job of preparing us for this and making it seem tragic.

And while Eric's amnesia was played for a few too many jokes, I loved the work Skarsgaard was doing here; we've known Eric as a cocky, self-serious individual who is older than everybody else and therefore has the guts to go against whoever he wants. In this episode, he's a goofy guy who somewhat remembers who he is but not quite. It seems as if the writers took his persona from a different show and transplanted it here. I laughed and thought it was funny, but how can a show as dark and macabre as this one think that this is a worthwhile plot? I understand it's part of the book series, but it's lame when adapted to screen.

As for the rest of the occurances, I didn't care that much. The "my baby is a killer!" plot involving that waitress and Terry are going through is dumb, Jason's plot is creepy and has the potential to be interesting.. but right now, I just don't know. And I'm really looking forward to seeing how Fiona Shaw's character Marnie grows from here on out. It appears that an ancient witch is possessing her and using her to do her deeds, which makes Marnie less of a villain and more of a puppet, which is interesting.

I have the bad habit of comparing shows too much to their former selves, which is why I'm trying to keep an open mind here. But this season isn't pulling me in the way the last three have. Let's hope it can keep improving.