True Blood

Plaisir D'Amour

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 02, 2008 on HBO

• Crime and Punishment: A Bill Compton Tale

After it was revealed that Longshadow had been stealing from Eric last cliffhanger Bill stakes him with a pool cue and he turns to stingy jello and mash. As punishment he accompanies Eric to a judgment with the Magister, an ancient vampire who punishes vampires who have gone against the order of things. Of course he takes Sookie home and leaves her there and trusts Sam to take care of her, right Sam? Really? Anyway then Jason and Amy don't quite know how to deal with their new captive so they tie him to a beach chair and don't feed him and desperately try to devise a plan even after doing it on V right in front of him, how charming. Great insight into the vampire justice system and the evolution of these characters. Can't wait to see where it goes.
  • A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

Bill's continuous concern for Sookie causes him to go against the vampire's code. Jason and Amy go to extremes to score "V", Tara goes back to the exorcist, and Sam is put in charge to look after Sookie while Bill faces a hearing. what an awesome start to an episode. I love the way Eric and Pam are like in the first scene. I'm in love with Eric, he is awesome his character is awesome. I also love Pam, she is great. I feel sorry for the vampire, Amy is creepy. Jason is still very cool, he is very funny because he is such a fool. I love Tara's storyline. I love Bill and Sookie, the scenes they do is awesome. I love the Sam and Tara scenes, I love them both, plus Sam is hot. I love the way Bill is playing golf so funny, then the most hottest man alive comes to his house! The Merlotte scenes are the best, especially when Eric comes in, I love the part were he is warning them. Tara and Sookie make up, Bill is on trail so has to leave. Sam is Dean...Duhhhhhh! Awesome episode though.
  • Fussing Over You Written by Brian Buckner Directed by Anthony Hemingway

Pam (to Sookie): "I'm beginning to understand the fuss everyone's making over you."

Well, Pam, I think one of the reasons why such a fuss can be made over Sookie is down to her knack for trouble coming after her ever since she got involved with Bill. Not that I blame him at all for her crappy misfortunes of late.

Long Shadow was a prized dunce. Anyone else would've darted straight out of Fangtasia rather than try to attack Sookie. What was he hoping to achieve? Even if he had succeeded in strangling the girl, he'd still have to face up to Eric's wrath and something tells me that's not pleasant either.

Bill might have done him a favour by actually staking. Although it's been seen before with the trio's deaths, vampires certainly do die gorily on this show. Back in the days of Buffy, all you had to worry about was breathing in vampire death. Here, Sookie got bathed in Long Shadow's blood and even had bits of him in her cleavage.

The death of a vampire had to have consequences. Pam wouldn't let Sookie leave Fangtasia because she knew that Eric and Bill (but mainly the latter) were in deep **** over killing one of their own. Bill lied to Sookie, presumably to protect her because she thought everything was her fault. It wasn't his best of moves.

Eric didn't seem all that sympathetic when stopping with Chow and Pam to Bill's in order to let the latter know that he had a tribunal on his hands (while Bill was playing golf on the Wii). He even took some pleasure in trying to disrupt Bill's parting kisses with Sookie as well. I think Eric really does want to sabotage that relationship. His interest in Sookie is more than professional even if he does look down on humans.

Sookie and Bill's parting scene was pretty sweet, filled with some tenderness that we've seen enough times. Any time something terrible has happened to Sookie, Bill has been there to protect or reassure her. Because of current circumstances, he then put Sam in his place.

Why would Bill do that? He's not shy in telling Sam how much he doesn't like him and also how threatened he is by Sam's attraction to Sookie. However as soon as Sam revealed himself to be a shape shifter by the end of the episode, it all made sense. I assume that Bill was aware of this, because other than that, I can't think of any other reason why he'd want Sam to protect Sookie.

Sam being revealed as the collie who had been popping up all season certainly wasn't a shock but it was nice to finally have that answered. Sookie and Sam's mutual shock when the latter was spotted naked at the end of the bed was comical more than shocking. I can't wait to see Sam fill in the blanks for viewers on shape shifting and the like.

Sookie might be sympathetic to Sam with this new bit of information but I doubt it will make any difference to Andy. Why did Sam have to go and lie about his family being nudists? I suppose he should've realised that Andy was actually going to go and do his job at this point.

When Sookie wasn't taking her anger out on Andy, she was actually bonding with Amy (prior to making up with Tara). I really did enjoy Sookie and Amy's scenes together. If Amy wasn't such a whack job, she'd have the potential of being the best thing in the world for Jason.

Eddie saw through her immediately and even though Jason suspected that she might have abducted vampires before, it didn't stop him from succumbing to more V trips either. The sex quotient certainly went up a notch with Jason and Amy's antics but while he was able to admit to loving Amy, after she prodded him, it was like everyone else was pointing out how bad that was.

First off all there was Rene exploding on Jason after the idiot nearly got Rene injured over a tree and then Eddie frankly told Jason that Amy was nuts. Jason, continuing his streak of being thick refused to acknowledge what Eddie had told him. I liked Eddie more and more as this episode unfolded but while Amy has Jason under her thumb, Eddie's screwed one or the other.

Of course, Amy herself is also in deep **** Eric was able to spot the guys who torched Malcolm, Diane and Liam and made a point of letting everyone know in Merlotte's that he'll retaliate if crossed. Amy herself even looked a little spooked by Eric's warning. However I don't think it will be enough for her to let poor Eddie go. Damn it, Amy. Someone should tell her what happened to Long Shadow.

In other news, poor Tara. She really does believe that all it will take is an exorcism and her life will get back on track. That's really tragic but although I still don't believe she has a demon, I can see why she now wants an exorcism. She's having more difficulty than usual to connect with people and even Lettie Mae seems to be reaping the benefits of being exorcised. Her scenes with Miss Jeanette were also even more telling. Jeanette had Tara convinced that she had to pay more in order to get rid of the demon she is supposed to have inside. Sam was generous enough to actually give her the money for the exorcism as well. Too bad that it still feels like Tara is being scammed to me.

Also in "Plaisir D'Amour"

The annoying Ginger seems to have had a lot of glamouring done to her. Pam initially didn't want to do more but did instead of taking her.

Eric: "Humans. Honestly Bill, I don't know what you see in them."

Sookie's cat Tina got a far nastier demise in this episode than she did in the book. Sookie spent a lot of time in blood during this episode.

Eddie: "What are you gonna do to me?"
    Jason: "Yeah, I was kinda wondering that myself."
    Amy: "We're gonna drink from him."

Tara: "You're one hell of a saleswoman, aren't you?"
    Miss Jeanette: "Next time you're alone, stand in the mirror and count backwards from ten. If you can get all the way down to zero, then I'm wrong. But if you can't stand your own company for ten seconds, how are you gonna expect to do it for the rest of your life?"

Tara and Sookie made up in this episode with very little fuss, which made me glad. She is the best friend that Sookie needs right now.

Amy: "Why is it that we all need to be loved but that when someone finally says I love you, people just run scared, hmm? I love you Jason Stackhouse, whether you like it or not. I'm not afraid to admit it."

Tara: "Don't you knock? What if I was doing something in private?"
    Lettie Mae: "I taught you that was a sin against God. If I walk in on you doing it, it's your problem, not mine."

Arlene didn't do much in this episode, except for going on about her engagement and wangling Sam for a venue for a party. Oh, Arlene.

Sookie: "Then while you make up your mind, how about I tell you what you can get for me, Andy Bellefleur? I'd love to have whoever's killing off my family's head on a platter. Think you can arrange that for me?"

Sookie (re Jason): "You are way too good for him. You know that, right?"
    Amy: "Course I know that. I'm not stupid."

Standout music: "Plaisir D'Amour" by Joan Baez and "Walking The Dog" by Rufus Thomas.

Bill (re Eric): "Tell me, do you enjoy living halfway up his backside like you do?"
    Pam: "Yes, it's nice. You should try it."

Eric (to patrons): "Oh before I go, a word of advice. We know when a human has wronged us, we can smell it. So do not make the mistake of letting the pretty blonde vampire lady on television make you feel comfortable. We may not have retaliated yet but we know who you are. Have a nice night."

Chronology: From where "The Fourth Man In The Fire" left off.

"Plaisir D'Amour" is certainly a fine episode, another incredibly strong one for the series as well. At this point, I think I'm beginning to lose objectivity with these reviews due to the greatness of the series.
  • Bill kills Longshadow while he is attacking Sookie and now he must pay through some tribunal. Tara goes and sees Miss Janette. Sookie's cat Tina is the next to die. Jason and Eddie bond.

The opening sequence is quite spectacular. I especially love the scene when the female vampire tells Sookie she has some vampire in her cleavege and then she says let me get it for you and reaches in and plucks it out. Then the other girl who had been glamored comes in acting all sweet and saying how great the vampires are. All the while Sookie is standing there dripping in blood.

Amy is psychotic and Jason better watch out. It was sort of interesting how Jason and Eddie bonded and in the end Jason was feeding him.

Sookie's cat Tina is the newest casualty of the town. That was sort of interesting. Who is doing all the killing and why? It's not the vampires so who is it? What was the reason for this one other than a hate crime or just trying to scare her? You'd think they'd be smart enough to realize she is not going to scare that easily by now.

Tara and Sam are getting closer. It was predictable that he would give her the money. Let's just hope it helps her as much as it seemed to help her mom.

Bill asking Sam to look out for Sookie was interesting. It just secured in my mind about Sam and what he was. Bill knew it and I wondered how long he has. The ending was not that much of a surprise. They tried to throw you off by showing more than one dog, but it was pretty obvious Sam was a shape shifter and I was wondering when we would find out the truth. It makes you wonder if he has been protecting Sookie all these years for other reasons.

We'll see, thanks for reading...
  • Another Good'un!

It's another strong offering from True Blood with "Plasir D'amour", an episode packed with lots of juicy character moments, gross-out scenes and some of the hottest sex you're likely to see on TV. While the show is still struggling with gaining its own voice, I'm enjoying the multiple character threads now, whereas before they lacked a sense of direction.

One thing I have noticed with this show is that it cannot seem to allow each character to have a decent storyline. Every week someone suffers at the fate of bad storytelling, and surprisingly, it's Tara this week. Last week her story was "inerr-resting" since we were just being introduced to her new-found situation, but nothing has moved along at all this hour. She's still whining, still in disbelief over her mother, liking Sam and then hating him; she's a broken record!

Sam, on the other hand, has moved along quite a bit, especially in the final moments of the episode. That's right, Dean the dog is in fact Sam the weirdo, and ya have to wonder if he was playing the concerned boyfriend with Tara in hope that if his secret turned public she'd somewhat understand. Hmmph. Loved those final few moments with Dean not wanting to look at Sookie undress. Very funny.

Bill and Sookie are overshadowed this week by a much more interesting couple - Amy and Jason. One grisly death scene aside, I found myself bored by Sookie's problems. Again, she's a character that's stuck on the same page as last week, so nothing feels fresh. I do like the fact that we should be seeing more on the vampire side of things as the episodes continue, but hopefully they'll be far more credible than Eric and his generic fang-gang. Bill will hopefully stay away for a few episodes. Not that I dislike the guy, but I'd like to see what'll happen without someone to protect Sookie.

The most shocking thing about this episode is how Jason is handled. It's a solid episode for him, as we get to see many a different sides to his character. Again, it's mostly down to Amy, who has just made this show an added joy to watch. Her outlook on life has certainly got Jason buzzing! Although sex like that would have any red-blooded male singing about the trees, they could run for the hottest couple on TV.

It'll be interesting to see where the show will take Jason and his budding friendship with his prisoner. It looks to be leaning towards his release, but their conversation has me wondering if Jason is considering turning. And while the show often throws out a good cliffhanger, its the first time in ages I'm excited for the next episode!
  • Bill goes to trial

Amy is getting creepier for every second, I just kept wanting Sookie to listen in on her thoughts. Eric and the other vampires may know what Amy has done, or they want to keep the impression that they do, just like with the other fake rumours they've created about vampires. Sookie doesn't want Sam to look after her in Bill's absence, but the end of the episode was quite funny, obviously Sam has to tell her his secret. At least Tara and Sookie became friends again, which is good. Jason befriends the vampire, which was beautiful, I liked how he changed the way he felt about vampires, although he wouldn't admit it to anyone just yet.
  • Review

I thought the episode was good, but the minor plots need some work. Eric saved this episode for me. He is the one aspect of the show I hope to see more and more of in the future. This show is about Vampires and they need to have something with the head vampires being done every episode. The plot with Tara and Sam is boring at this point, they have gone back and forth in literally every other episode of this season so far. I wouldnt be surprised if in the next episode they went back to hating each other again. To think of sitting through another 20 minutes of her storyline is really painful to me. I love the main plots to this show, but once they go off on a sideplot I begin to lose a little bit of interest. Jasons conversation with the captured vampire was actually better then anything that him and his new girl have had. A lot of "real" moments that may make Jason eventually turn this vampire loose.
  • Bill saves Sookie from the vicious LongShadow and is called to trial as a result. Jason's new girlfriend leads him down a dark path and Tara prepares to undergo her exorxism. At long last, Sam's secret is revealed!

Bill strikes down LongShadow at the bar to save Sookie, breaking a fundamental vampire law: Never kill one of your kind to save a human. Eric is forced to escort him to the vampire tribunal. Bill goes to Sam and asks him to watch over Sookie in his abscence because he is the only one who can. Jason shares and amazing scene with his vampire hostage, Eddie. We learn that not all vampires are as powerful or sexy as Bill and Eric and Jason begins to question Amy's unstable ways. Sam and Tara grow closer as he gives her the money for her exorcism; not without some arguing. And Sam's secret is finally revealed when Sookie wakes up to find him naked at the foot of the bed in place of a dog. Every episode has been excellent and continues to get better. Another great installment with more to come.
  • Opening scene was gross.

Sorry but that opening scene where longshadow's blood practically drowns Sookie was a bit over the top for me. I found it unintentionally funny in a horrible way.
    Too much time was spent with Jason and miss crazygirl, Amy, although before she joined the cast, I couldn't stand Jason. Now I can appreciate his kindness to the vampire they kidnapped. I'm anxious about what crazy bad thing she is going to do next.
    Seems like Pam has noticed that Sookie cannot be glamored. And we need to see some evidence of Eric's supposed superior powers. I just want him to wash his hair.
  • Bill is now in trouble for killing another vampire

Poor bill now he is introuble for saving sookie because longshadow betrayed eric and pam. So he had to hurt sookie but bill got in his way and killed him. So now bill had to lie to sookie making her think that everything was alright but he lied to her and now it hurts sookie. I hope jason dumps amy because having sex infront of a vampire was not right.

she is insane and cruel and just not right for jason. Jaosn needs to get out of that relationship with amy. And now sam will have to tell sookie about his power on changng from human to a dog.
  • Amazing episode.... can't wait for what't to come!

Bill gets in huge trouble when he kills Longshadow in front of other vampires for Sookie. That's three bad things: he killed a vampire, he did it in front of other vampires, and he did it for a human. He tells Sookie everything is okay, but really it isn't because he has been called to a tribunal for a trial to determine his punishment for killing a vampire. Speaking of killing vampires, Amy and Jason kidnapped the vampire Eddie in the last episode and took him back to Jason's house. Amy is really insane if I may say so myself, but I kind of like her because Jason is kind of being less mean, but maybe that's just me. Sookie's cat got murdered, which I think she overreacted to a little bit! I loved the scene when Bill is saying goodbye to Sookie before he leaves for the tribunal. Eric's and Pam's lines were hilarious there! And finally we know for sure what I guessed all along: Sam is the dog, so he's a shapeshifter or something!

Anyways... I really can't wait to the last three episodes of the season, but I really wish this wasn't the end of the season! HBO would make a killing if they did ad-sponsered episodes on their site cause more and more people I know are starting to watch it and they want to see previous episodes without buying them. Anyways.... can't wait to see the verdict at the tribunal and Sookie's reaction to a naked Sam at the foot of her bed!
  • Bill crosses the line to save sookie

Even though blii is in trouble for killing longshadow i believe he did the right thing. I do not see why it's a big deal for eric to see that bill is truely inlove with sookie. It was nice to see that pam is slowly liking sookie and sees and also is understanding that sookie and bill have a special bond.

I do not like amy she is just plan weird and is starting to scare me. I honestly did not think having sex with jaosn in front of the vampire was not nessasary. it was very gross. But atleast at the end jason helped the vampire by giving him true blood.
  • Just gets better and better!

Another outstanding episode. Loved the Jason line "Big Bag of Crazy". Finally it is confirmed that Sam is the dog! He will have to tell Sookie the truth and not some fabrication. Sam is such a sweetie and a hunk too. He truly cares and wants to help Tara. I actually like her pessimistic attitude, it is hilarious. I hope she actually does have the excorism but doesn't lose the personality and characteristics that are part of who she is. Bill was taken to stand before the "tribunal". He better be back because he and Sookie are what make this show. Eric's first appearance at Merlotte's was interesting. Hopefully he will take care of Amy since they know when a human has done them wrong. Eric still doesn't do much for me I could care less if he was even on the show. Wouldn't make any difference. I like that Jason is showing more of a compassionate side getting to know their captive vampire. I fear Amy will put a stop to that though. She is evil and must be stopped.
  • Bill goes to extremes to protect Sookie from harm and ends up in harms way himself. He asks Sam to watch over Sookie why he is away. Tara considers an exorcism. Jason starts to bond with his captive vampire and see Amy's dark side.

This episode was excellent. I have been waiting to see more of the Pam and Eric characters. Basically, more of the vampire world that exists in the books and how it would be translated or portrayed in this series. Of course, there would have to be differences otherwise what would be the point of having a series. Longshadow being staked by Bill, and Ginger's reaction was hilarious, if a tad gross, but we are dealing with a vampire story. Jason basically getting a therapy session from Eddie the vampire who he has imprisoned is so twisted yet appropriate. Sam's little revelation at the end was priceless.