True Blood

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO Premiered Sep 07, 2008 In Season

TesserT

True Blood Fan Reviews page 4 of 9

• Seriously - I don't!

I've read all the Charlaine Harris books upon which this series is based - and I'm a fan of them. So when I heard the series was being made I was excited about bringing the characters to live. Even when I heard that Anna Pacquin was going to be Sookie I was prepared to give it a shot - I know she's a great actress but I she didn't immediately seem the right choice to me.

Having seen this now, I'm really disappointed. Unfortunately this series just shows that not all great books translate well onto the screen - silver or small. I'm sticking with the original books and my imagination.
  • the only reason to watch this show is for the nudity

i watched the complete 1st season & i couldn't believe how terrible it was. who wrote this crap?? ok, i can accept things in a show's mythology within reason there are vampires & artificial blood. vampire blood has drug-like properties like lsd but 1 drop gives you an erection but when a show can't follow it's own rules, i get annoyed. an entire vial of it somehow doesn't make you hallucinate?? you don't overdoes on it? it just gives you a priapism?? that was incredibly stupid. if it's a drug it should act like a drug. what about tara's mom? wow, what a stupid subplot "i got a demon inside me!!" but she doesn't, it was just a scam, sure she could have quit cold turkey through belief but tara's mom would have died from alcohol withdrawal. it was so stupid. oh, my favorite piece of stupidity: "i'm a shapeshifter", not "i'm a werewolf & we hate vampires" like every other vampire mythos. no, i'm a shapeshifter. so suddenly in this world, there are vampires, telepaths & shape shifters. what's next? aliens, zombies? god, i miss blood ties.
  • Not really my kind of show.

5.5
    I will not say that this show is awful, but I will say it really isn't my kind of show. I've seen enough vampire movies and television shows in my life that the theme of this one makes it seem old. That said, there is some decent acting in this series and the storylines are somewhat okay. From the very few parts of the show I have seen, I must admit that it really isn't as boring as one would think at first glance. Overall, this is just an average show in my opinion, and I must say it doesn't interest me. Thank you.
  • Bring on the homosexuality please. Where's the man on man action?

I'm pissed, pissed, pissed that not one man on man scene was in this series at ALL.

I'm sure Alan Ball, thinks he's being so bold with his little series, but he could get a lot of bolder, if you ask me.

Two seasons, not ONE. HOMOSEXUAL. SCENE. what the hell!?!?!?!?!!? I'm just like the Queen herself, I LOVE seeing two men together. If I've got to look at a bunch of ugly straight ppl having sex, naked body parts everywhere, then I should be able to see some naked parts I actually WANT to see in just as many sex scenes. Eric is BISEXUAL, he LIKES men just as much as women. I hope they aren't turning his character strictly straight. That would just be disappointing. They need to stop throwing the homosexual words around in the show and actually start showing some freaking homosexuality!!! If OZ can do it, and Blood and Sand can do it and Queer as Folk can do it True Blood should be able to do it too. Other than that, the Bullhead demon arc was unecessary and took up entirely too much of the series time. Vampires ppl, if done right are much more entertaining than a lot of other supernatural creatures out there. At least, to me they are.
  • this show is another one of my favorites i just love me some vampire action. i love the plot i like vampire love stories and i love how its that and its action i love everything about this show. this show gets a perfect score from me

this show is another one of my favorites i just love me some vampire action. i love the plot i like vampire love stories and i love how its that and its action i love everything about this show. this show gets a perfect score from me because to me it deserves 10 as the rating. To people that do not like this show keep your options to your selfs. Do not ruin it for the rest of us fans. Anyways like i was saying i love this show and it needs to keep going keep it up your doing good Please dont cancel this it would be a shame to see it go i will get mad if it does.
  • Vampires in Louisiana bayous... A very imaginative series.

I was not sure that this series would be good, because I feared that Anna Paquin might not be right the actress for the part of Sookie Stackhouse, but then I saw her performance, and I guess that she's the one! I mean, her accent for the character is just perfect. The rest of the cast is very good, and they are somehow like I had imagined them... well, except for Tara, but the character is funny in its own way. The way mythology and urban myths and legends get mixed with reality is just amazing. So far, the series is just what the doctor and the dentist ordered to everyone who loves vampires and vampire stories. It might not be Supernatural, but it's one of those series which make you beg for more, even after watching the ending credits... That's why I say that you'll beg for another bite in the neck. Totally Addictive!!!
  • Season 1 was a teaching experience, Season 2 was a dose of awesome, and Season 3 is starting to be a new beginning. All in all, near perfection.

I'll admit the show started out painfully simple, the lines were somewhat cheesy, Bill's version of saying "Suckie" was driving me crazy, and Eric was no where to be seen for a few episodes. But it built up until we were all hooked. Season 1 ended with a punch, cut to Season 2. We see more Sookie and Eric verbal sparring, the introduction of Jessica, and more characters. Yes the whole Mary Ann part was annoying to watch, and watching people have weird black-eyed sex was extremely awkward, but it ended with Sookie helping vampires from Texas and saving the town from a maynad. And Season 3. Well we've only seen 3 episodes so far, but I can say it will be a great ending. Bill and Sookie's relationship is going down the drain quick, Alcide is a total fox (no pun intended), and Eric is slowly charming the pants off Sookie. We'll be watching Eric and Sookie soon enough! A great beginning to a great book series. And the characters are a perfect fit.
  • Give it a go!

Great to have a good vampire show back on the air. And not a PG version like Buffy. This is stylish and sexy, and very funny, with lots of interesting characters to develop. And with the news that the shows been picked up for a new season, the writers and director can actually take time to fully develop the characters without the worry that it will be axed after only one season. This show will definitely not be for everyone, but for anyone with even a mild interest in vampires, this show will not disappoint. Hope its gets a few more seasons.
  • No Homerun for HBO with this series.

6.4
    I'm not sure this series will last long. The first episode didn't really explain too much, you pretty much had to figure out what was going on, and how they came to this situation where vampires walk around with humans. I think they have a good plot, but it needs some tuning and more history on why the vampire situation has come to be. The second episode has allot of explaining to do to keep my interest in wanting to tune in for more. The characters and acting was pretty good. I will tune in for the second episode to see where this is going.
  • Not bad, not bad at all.

I never thought I would like anything to do with Vampires especially since it is the new craze with girls these days. The show has a good plot to it, and the the episodes will have you coming back for more. I really liked the first season, but the second one is definitely has been my favorite this far, the third one has been good so far but hasn't caught my interest as much as the second season had, but i still can't wait to see what happens this season and any other seasons this show is going to have.
  • The way that vampires should be

After many mind numbingly horrific parodies of vampires (Twilight anyone?) it gives me great pleasure to see a series based on a book series as good as Dexter is. It's a pleasure to see the creatures of the night that're aloof done well and does vamps justice. The story which follows Sookie, a waitress who's telepathic ability that she can't turn off changes when she meets Bill Compton, a vamp since 1865 who struts back into town. The premiere is how they "hit it off," included are Tara, Sookie's strong willed friend Tara, Sookie's nymphomaniac brother Jason who makes George Bush look like genius, Lafayette a gay chef at Merlotte's where Sookie works, as well as Sam Merlotte the proprietor, and Sookie's wise as nature grandmother or Gran. The show struggles to find its footing a little but I am willing to give a try just for pure content of vampires, the flaws are somewhat easily ignored for those genre fans like myself, but for those looking for juicy realistic Soprano like drama from the get go go elsewhere. The series does pick up in the next few episodes but if you give up, just know that this series is for the vamp fans out there.
  • swaying away from what it represents.

ok. at first this show was pretty decent, Vampires are known to the world. Sookie was interesting because of her ability. And Bill was actually cool. But it just lost its suave to me. When Im watching it now, my hand just reaches for the remote control and I change the channel. It just lost its mystery. and showing Tara doing lovey dovey with her man, just isnt working. She looks like a She-Man. Why couldn't they hire someone with atleast have a hot bod. I feel like this show will be going down the drain soon. and now, they're adding more monsters other than the vampires. Why are they always showing the news about Vampire Rights and etc if that's not even the main concern about the story. Like I said, True Blood is swaying further and further from where it should be.
  • Really recommend for every Vampire fan out there in da Planet Earth :)

True Blood indeed has a different style and it really keeps u in the grasp all da way to the end and i've seen upto 11th Episode of 2nd season and all can say is wouh..stunned :P Eric's background story was very thrilling and got me going back in time.. =) True Blood has goodie humour and intro with goodie song and amazing video clips just gives a nice start for da episodes :D For a while in 1st season there was little action,but it didn't matter and doesn't cau'se True Blood always manages to keep u tightly in da chair/sofa.. :P

Soon will buy the season 1 with da goodie quality :)
  • True diamond.

Simply fantastic... Great characters, excellent directing, screenwriters are witty, and really know how to write... This show represents something new and fresh in this fall guide, and to be honest we, the viewers need that... The topic is new and the idea to place the story in New Orleans area is fantastic.
    But the thing that really caught my intention is the characters that are so alive, and well made.
    There is not one actor that is not giving 110% of himself in this show.
    To be honest at beginning i though that this will be just another bleak vampire show, but as the first episode progressed i got caught in the story and now i can't get out. :)
    The best thing of all is that the show is growing, and that the story can be developed in so many more levels, if only the writers know what to do (and i think they do).
    One of few shows this fall that i can not wait for the next episode to air.
  • True Blood, the best of the genre.

I knew about the novels, so I was really excited when I heard that this series was going to air.
    In my opinion, True Blood is a very interesting show that can bring us innovation, when compared to other TV Shows of the same style. It combines comedy, mystery, gore, overall being a very entertaining series, that does stand out from the rest of the shows of the same genre (the "vampire fever"). The actors are perfectly cast (Anna Paquin does a tremendous performance as Sookie Stackhouse), and so far the episodes have been way awesome (Season 2 was absolutly fantastic). I'm glad that True Blood has been confirmed a fourth season, and hopefully there'll be more to come.
  • Derivative, unoriginal premise, one dimensional characters and i don't know whether to adore or kill Anna Pacquin. Still there is something about this show that makes me want to give it a chance. It's different and it's quirky. But will it work?

A reasonable if derivative premise meets a fantastic Louisiana backdrop. Characters need a lot of work and the basic concept lacks....pizazz and newness for want of a better term. On the plus side... Best. Opening. Credits. Ever. Who came up with those? Sets the mood, and the feel of the show perfectly. But its all been done before. Vampires Vampires Vampires - The new reality show of the 21st century. Definitely a case of pick the rip off (sorry.. influence) as you work your way through this one. Loved Six Feet Under so I'll give it a few more episodes to grab my interest, but at the moment I cant see it lasting too long. meh.
  • After following Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Twilight, True Blood gives me a refreshingly new view of the genre of vampire shows. Unlike the other two, True Blood is filled with horror, blood, sex, seduction, what vampire stories should be all about!

Just watching the opening theme of True Blood gives you the chills and intrigues you to find out more. It's horrendous yet alluring, just like vampires. The southern dialects threw me off at first, and I had trouble liking Sookie, but there are many other interesting characters in the plot and I find the general presentation of the vampire universe in True Blood interesting. I like that vampires participate in debates on TV, I like that they run businesses like Fangtasia, I like that there are vampire junkies among humans who worship them and want to be vampire bars, I like that humans can also be villains in a vampire story, and I like that there's no big debate about whether vampires have a soul or not, as if good or bad depends on that. What I especially like is that True Blood is much more explicit in its presentation of everything. The sex scenes, the nudity, the murders, the bloody messes, it's like a mature version of Buffy and Twilight. No more fake sex scenes between Buffy and Spike, no more perfectly beautiful vampires who can walk around in daylight, even the destruction of a vampire is horribly bloody in True Blood. While previous shows are for teenage girls, True Blood is not for the rookies.

So far, my favorite vampire is Spike from Buffy, but Eric Northman played by Alexander Skarsgard is coming up close quite fast. Not only is he tall, strong, and gorgeous, he's also darkly broody and playfully evil, an extremely attractive vampire! Unfortunately, the main story arc in season 2 steers us away from vampires who are much more interesting to know more about, and much prettier to look at. There are endless topics within the vampire world to be presented, I hope season 3 will guide us deeper into that fascinating world.
  • Easily one of the best dramas on television knows exactly how to captivate the audience and not let go until the credits roll. Authentic, beautifully captured and shocking every week, TRUE BLOOD keeps you masterfully addicted until you beg for more.

It starts with the opening credits, it shows off the raw and controversial look that the show entails using footage of a decaying fox, a kid in the KKK and women in erotic positions. True, in Holland this wouldn't shock anybody, but I'm surprised nonetheless that it is shown on American television. The show itself is a wee bit less provoking, but still knows how to break the boundaries of modern television. For example; the star of the show is Sookie, a well raised blonde country girl that knows how to take care of herself just as much as she knows how to get herself into trouble. In the pilot she falls for vampire Bill, who stirs up the town with his presence. Two seasons in the two are a popular couple that, despite all the things that happened between and around them, still go strong, if not for the show's second season cliffhanger. But the two stars are hardly everything that Bon Temps has to offer. Almost nowhere on television is there such a wide range of loveable characters, all with appropriate depth and screen time. It marks how eager the show is to please the fans and how well it knows exactly what (not) to show them. There's Sam, the owner of the bar that employs half the cast, who, just like Sookie, has a secret power. Sam can change into any animal any time, while Sookie can hear what everybody thinks, everybody, except for Bill. Other wildly awesome characters include Jason, Sookie's brother who besides being entreatingly stupid also stars in almost every sex scene on the show, Tara, Sookie's best friend who has a lot of boy and mother problems, Eric, one of the higher vampires who craves for Sookie and other lovely folk of Bon Temps such as Andie the alcoholic cop with good intentions, Hoyt an grown man who never got away from his mothers grip and Jessica, Bill's apprentice who still deals with being recently turned into a vampire. But one of the most flamboyant characters is LaFayette, a big gay black guy who defies basically every cliché that can be thought of. It's exactly that extraordinary care for detail and love for the characters that makes it such a delight watching all of them get into weekly adventures. They are all connected, have their own problems, and so always end up with each other fighting evil, whether it's a town's serial killer or a spiritual demon who can't find peace. True Blood does have a bad premise, it is a show about vampires, and even though the world is basically all fangbangers these days, that doesn't mean a lot of other folks out there still think of it as lame and boring. Little do they know that the show is not about vampires at all, it's about a world vampires are real and a part of everyday life. They face racial issues, social barriers and the choice whether to behave like expected of them or to rise above the rumors and prove that they can live next to the humans they so desperately ache. There's nothing like it on television, as the show doesn't just try to tell a story, it tries to continuingly entertain the audience, and succeeds almost flawless every week. Nowhere, except maybe Lost, do episodes end on such shocking cliffhangers as on True Blood. Where shows kept an ending like putting your entire cast in a room and let a bomb explode for a season finale, TB shows it off half way through the season, and that was just one week. The show remains fast-paced, doesn't underestimate the audience's ability to follow multiple arcs and still has time to have the appropriate character development. It almost never misses it's goal and, perhaps thanks to it being an adaption of a book, never loses it's purpose. If you like good quality entertainment, True Blood is the show for you, and I promise, there will not be a moment where you can think of anything else but fangs.
  • A world where the paranormal comes and lives with us normals. Vampires, Werewolves, Shifters, Maynades, Minotaurs and lets not forget the humans. And also Sookie stackhouse and her mind-reading abilities. Watch for a brand new look at vampire kind.

S3X, Blood and rock and roll.. that could well be the tag line of this series. Its a crazy roller coaster ride with the mythical beings of our imagination. I'm a big vampire fan and there's so many good vampire shows out there now.. true blood with the bad-ass vampire kind, vampire diaries with the eternal teenage vampire, twilight. True blood is just more 'in-your-face explicit' with all the sex and nudity. it shows the dark and glamorous side of the undead. the gay guy Lafayette is a real cracker as well :P 'Our blood sustains life.. Vampire blood IS life' joker.. Love the seduction of Jason by the preachers wife.. OMG classic..
  • The Show is about a telepathic waitress called Sookie stackhouse and other residents from the town of Bontemps, Louisiana.The series is by HBO and based on the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire mysteries by Charlaine Harris.

vampires are a minority fighting for equal rights and have decalred themselves to the outside world. When Bill Compton a vampire returns to his hometown of Bon Temps, the place where he died in 1836, he has an instant connection with Sookie Stackhouse. At this point the adventures begin.For those of you who have not read the books i would recommend.The series is fantastic very addictive and is put to the screen by Alan Ball.Various characters are introduced as the series progresses.The story lines indroduce varios creatures along the way. Currently the UK is on to it's first season on mainstream TV.Season 2 has aired on FXUK ( cable).Season 3 of True Blood is post production and shooting beings later this year to be aired by HBO in June 2010.
  • More than justifies the addition of another vampire show

This show pleasantly surprised me. I thought maybe there was no room for further vampire shows notwithstanding how amazing Buffy was, but anyway I watched it despite my misgivings last summer all in a row, when there was absolutely nothing else on. I grimaced as I hit play for the first episode, thinking I was gonna hate it and hating the fact that I'd probably keep watching it anyway. Well, after all that it was quickly apparent this is an awesome show. I inhaled all the episodes in a very short intense flurry of True Blood watching. I LOVE Anna Paquin in it and the character she's built up in Sookie is fantastic. I love "Bill" the Vampire. Bill. Too perfect! I love the dog-guy (can't remember his name). I LOVED the Grandma. :-( I love her smart mouth best and b**chiest friend (name??) with the (reformed?) alcoholic mother. I loved how vampire blood became an illicit street drug. ..... I loved everything!! I'd like to read the books but I don't want to wreck watching the show as long as it continues. If Season Two can measure up or surpass S one, it will be a great thing to watch during the tv drought that is summer
  • True Blood Review

True Blood is a vampire series which is kind of obvious but this is on HBO so that must mean it will be better than the rest of the vampire stuff around well in some ways it is but in some other ways it is pretty much the same old story. Girl falls in love with a vampire crap. True Blood still is top quality it is what you come to expect from HBO, the premise is a lot more serious and darker and its deffinatly aimed at adults. I am a big fan of HBO dramas like The Wire, Rome and Deadwood so I gave it a shot that and also Anna Paquin is the shows main character. The show doesnt dissapoint with its drama and some comedy it also has a good cast that all act well. The down side is that it brings nothing new to the vampire genre and you find the human characters more intresting than the actual vampires which is pretty bad for a show thats meant to be about vampires.
  • Season 2 in a nutshell- Person named eggs. Giant pig. Sam's butt. Jason holding a gun. Jessica!. Bill and Sookie playing house. Eric and Sookie havin' sexy times. Tara with crazy eyes. Maryann being awesome. Maryann getting annoying. Maryann dead. Genius.

Season 2 of True Blood, what is there to say. Alan Ball really stepped it up notch this year. True Blood crossed line from entertaining TV to quality TV. We see a lot of character development, some healthy doses of social commentary, and plenty of that patented True Blood charm. The addition of new characters like Jessica and the ominous presence of Maryann and the Newlins added a sophisticated creepiness that we didn't see last season. Everything from atmosphere to writing combined to make the season a coherent and intriguing plot that was expertly acted and produced. I really can't say more, just take my advice and watch it. You will love it.
  • TRUE BLOOD: new HBO series on second season. A Vamp's dream come true!

This show is the BEST show on TV period. It's funny, smart, very sexy and very scary!. The vampires and whole cast are so smokin hot and their performances are dead on, excuse the pun. What's not to like....? This show opens up a whole new way that paranormal TV should be made. This is the new X-files/Buffy. Stephen Moyer is stunning and his chemistry with Anna Paquin is undeniable. Ryan Kwanten is the best new/young actor since Heath Ledger!

When each episode stops you can't turn that TV off, you want the next episode like a Vampire wants his next meal.
  • I really like this show. I was sad when Godric walked into the sun and died but the show is great! A little weird at times but great show! I can't wait for season 3 to see if Sam finds his parents and to see what happens to Bill and Sookie.

I have watched this show from season 1 to now. It keeps getting better and better each time I watch it. It gets a little weird at times also. I can't wait to see what happens to Bill and Sookie. I was sad when Godric walked into the sun and died. He was a really great vampire even though he was not on True Blood that long. I can not wait for Season 3! It will be better than Season 1 and 2 I hope. I hope it has even more weird things. Maryanne was one weird woman! It was weird when they had those black eyes.
  • Vampire/Human love who could ask for anything more

I think the show is great...in these days and times we all find ourselves wanting to escape from everyday troubles and find ourselves in a fantasy roll where we play the loved by all Sookie...or the lusting for what he can't have Eric...or the wanting to be human Bill...this combined with all the humor of the characters Lafayette, Terra, Jason, and Andy...there is no show to come close...I find it to be an adult version of Twilight...only it keeps going and going and going...with new episodes that keep us intrigued...It puts a face to the books...and keeps you blood thirsty for more...
  • Review of seasons one and two, and character summaries.

It would have got a ten but the second season was kind of boring to me. It focused too much on Maryann...ok we get it she's a monster intent on creating chaos in Bon Temps. I just wanted her to die already, and I felt like they dragged that part of the story out way too long. I was extremely happy to see that Lafayette was still alive in the begining of season 2. He is too funny and vital for the show in my opinion. His make-up, clothes, and dancing are thing that I look for regularly on th show. He is hilarious. Sookie can be kind of annoying at times. For instance, when Bill went to the counsel, for saving her life, she went off on him because he had to turn Jessica and was gone "too long". She then decided to and get cozy with Sam. Was Bill really gone for that long? Sam and Tara, I really liked them together and now that their previous lovers are dead...so why not have them back together??? Bill is a good character, even though we all know what's about to happen, and at times he can be too lovey dovey. He is loyal to Sookie and all of her friends. I like Jessica and Hoyt together but their relationship is getting crazy. Why cant they just pick up the phone and call each other instead of Jessica going off to kill people??? Will she get caught or get into trouble??? Eric can be lots of things lol :-) VIOLENT: Ripping someones limbs off for throwing silver in his face and messing up his hair lol!! FUNNY: for having Sookie suck bomb fragments out of his chest when it wasn't needed and thoroughly enjoying it. SENSITIVE: for crying like a big ol' 6 foot 4 baby when Godric met the sun. Jason is and idiot but a lovable idiot. He tries to do the right thing but always ends up screwing things up worse. His grpahic scenes in season one was not needed nor required...hopely that was the last of them.
  • I am in love with this show!!!Is it just me who wishes a vampire would glamor me??

True blood is the best show out there. The story is amazing and honestly makes me wish I was Sookie and my fiance was Bill!! I don't see the other vampire shows even coming close to this show. All the actors are impressive and the storyline always keeps me wanting more. I am always anticipating the new shows and now i am sad that i have to wait for the new season!! True Blood has made it almost natural for shape shifters,vampires, demons and bull headed gods to exist in our everyday lives. In fact, the fact that they don't is almost boring. I give True Blood a 10 because it is entertaining in a world where reality tv is the norm.
  • intersting, but have sucks clips, I mean the sex clips, its too bad and I hope to stop doung this,

If they stop making the sex clips, this series will be great , so I hope season 3 will be clean, am I hoping too much?
    I like this series because I love vampires stories but I can't give this series to any one of my friends \. any one want it can buy it or download it but out from me.
    I like Angel more because it don't have any sex clips, or if there is clips won't be in every episode like this series. I hope any one from the producing company hear what I say. and those not only my words but from every one I know who saw this series.
  • Good show but takes some time to get into it.

I started watching True Blood during the second season. This may be why it has taken some time for me to really get into the show. The show seems a little scattered sometimes and a little to much adult content that doesn't seem needed. Just because you can show it as TV-MA doesn't mean you need to. Even so, I'm definitely hooked now that the second season is basically over and I am renting season one so I can get the full grasp of the show. I did not like Eric when I first started but now he is my favorite character. I can't wait to see more of him next season. I wish Godric would have been in more episodes.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9