True Blood

HBO (ended 2014)

TesserT

True Blood Fan Reviews (263)

• True Dud

4.5
    Very disappointed, so disappointed that I couldn't even cry. What a waste of my years waiting for this to finish. you guys could have ket Tara and and Alcide and just send them away or some snap. Or atleast leave Sookie with Alcide if you weren't gonna put her with Bill. Or what would have made it even cooler is if her airy ball was a her heart of some mystical thing that helped turn Bill human. I mean after costing so many people their lives, its the least she could do damn! I wish I would have known it would end bad so I didn't put myself through it
  • True to the end.

With True Blood you have to have patience, to let it grow on you until it gets addictive, you have to have a sense of humor, to understand irony and sarcasm, you have to understand its quirkiness and know it is not your classic TV show recipe because, all in one, it is:

Fetishist: we've had witches and fairies, maenads and smoke demons, all of them playing second violin to the usual inhabitants of the show: vampires, humans and werewolves, all inclined to obsess over a talisman, a prophecy, a dream or selfish desires motivated by destiny.

Funny: you cannot help it when Pam is wearing a yellow kitty Wal-Mart sweatshirt to show team spirit, Lafayette is mesmerized by his own mirror image whenever he catches a glimpse and is not busy making AIDS hamburgers, Eric calls Sookie Snooky and is amused by "teacup humans", Ginger is more than ready to put her lungs to the test in delicious screaming sessions or Jessica eats Andy's fairy daughters, gets all horny and warns Jason she too might rape him And Jason! Jason is memorable in his getting raped struggles, having Jessica sex dreams crashed in on by Hoyt or knowing God doesn't exist to punish evil, otherwise good old fascinating Europe wouldn't still be with us!

Sarcastic: sarcasm is the main feature most fans miss on this show; the saying the witty will have fun while the stupid won't get it couldn't be more true. While most people debate over Bill & Sookie's undying love like they are watching another version of Twilight, they also miss on this show's greatest asset: making fun of stupid social relationship & sex expectations, going crazy and testing social boundaries simply to see how far people are taking it in, when people stop getting the point and continue to lie to themselves. This is a show that gets better with each replay, in those moments when you "get" a line you previously missed on, or a scene you skipped by initially.

Cynical: people are hopeless and this show proves it with each episode. We can't talk True Blood without admitting humans are selfish by nature, ruled by emotion, and heavily influenced by the same primitive, barbaric instincts that helped them survive so far. Mix it all in with homosexual phobias, wishing for superpowers so that the world around is less plain and boring, objectifying men as well as women, glorifying threesomes and putting lust on a pedestal and you get one hell of a guilty pleasure TV show pushing ethical and social boundaries!

Dramatic: "Sookieh!"

Ironic: what is said and what is meant on this show that never took itself seriously? It really is about all the drama in and around it, whenever critics and fans analyze ratings and expectations based on "quality television" scoring that have nothing to do with what the creator meant to do with it. I believe Alan Ball laughs himself off each time he reads a review saying True Blood has gone down the drain of quality television and knows the joke is on all the Americans who embraced it for the wrong reasons, not realizing for a second what it is about (the funny portraying of the social hypocrisy that runs this country) When answering the question on what this show is really about, where else could he have better pulled the phrase " about the horrors of intimacy" than out of his ass?!

Witty: here is where its own lines serve to support this feature better than any words from someone else's mouth: "Don't blame a Ferrari just because your ass can't drive!"

Exaggerated: fairies giving birth to an entire batch of babies on pool tables while singing their lungs off, vampires having neck twisting sex or ripping human(ity)'s spine on live television, moments before announcing it is time for the weather forecast.

Far Fetched: "I'm so over Sookie and her precious fairy vagina, and her unbelievably stupid name. Fuuuck Sookie!!!" As incredible as it might seem, Pam's line summarizes exactly what this show is basically about. Again, unbelievable or not, we have all felt the same at some point in the life span of True Blood, the funny thing being that it was never really over for any of us and even now, when the finale is around the corner, we will always have fond memories of this one of a kind show.

Addictive: a guilty pleasure can only be addictive and I can never get enough: of Eric, the vampire God who bows to no one; of Pam and her beautiful pumps/puns; of Jason and his endearing funny simple minded way of being; of Lafayette and his quirkiness; of the stylish queen of Louisiana; of Russell Edgington with his significant other in the crystal bowl of red goo; of Steve Newlin, who's always been "like a tree in the wind just happy to be included!"

Smart: who can argue with the absolutely fabulous opening credits of this show? Jace Everett's "I wanna do bad things with you", supporting the images portraying the southernness of it all, is as effective in its simplicity as nothing else can be. And let's not forget about the catchy promos, like a good and delicious starter before every season: "True End", "One last bite", "Goodbyes suck", "Everything is at stake", "Nothing like a good cup of Joe" or "Waiting sucks"!

Silly: every moment you want to slap yourself silly while/for watching this show is priceless: from Arlene's little girl dressing up for Halloween as Pregnant Teen Mom, to Sarah Newlin screwing Jason in every which way in the name of God! Praise the Lord!

Hot: this is where an entire season of its own is required: thinking of Eric & Yvette in the basement of Fangtasia, Sookie's awesome threesome red lace underwear fantasy, Jason and his push-ups to clear his mind of fantasizing over Jessica, Jessica being Little Red Riding Hood, Alcide & Eric growling naked at each other, Eric burning hot in the Scandinavian snowy mountains.

Embarrassing: this would be the passing feeling leading into amusement at the expense of everyone else who looks disappointed in you each time you admit this show is one of the best comedies ever; it's like them not being let in your little secret: it's amusement mixed with understanding that you have to have a certain dose of indulgence and humor in your veins to be able to enjoy it and expect whatever crazy from it; and you smile while saying: "You know nothing John Doe!"

Great: have you read all of the above or do I have to repeat myself?!
  • Just a question:

Where's the magic gone? I'm not really disappointed, just a little sad. Farewell without a real end.

• Terrible

True blood has declined so much over the years. The last season was absolutely terrible. I felt robbed. I've watched tb since season 1 and had all these years invested in it that I had to know how it ended. I was not happy about any of the last season. Eric should be dead first of all. When I hear it's open season on all characters, I expect someone important to die. Alcide? Really? Tara? Give me a break. And bills death was so drawn out I wanted to puke. Where's the shocker? It's the last season I expected you to blow my mind. Unfortunately I had to force myself to watch as the jibberish you call a show went on.
  • Terrible! !!

I found the last season completely disrespectful to the viewers. Just empty meaning disappointed with true blood and HBO for allowing such a terrible end.
  • Good riddance!

Completely asinine. The worst TV series in HBO history. This is just as bad and mortifying as "Pretty Little Liars". True Blood series finale... WHAT WAS THAT? I AM SO CONFUSED. Yes, good riddance.
  • Season Finale.

I admit it's not the best season but I loved this show for every bit, in the good and the bad miss ya true blood

S.
  • Fake Blood

This season seems a bad parody of what once was a great show. Whereas irony and black comedy there is now just emotionless melodramatic cries, deeply useless introspections, almost no plot and, what's worst, a very bad directing timing. The actors seems to have to improvise their facial expression in order to gain footage, camera goes on useless stuff, they use flashback but completely meaningless for the situation. It''s almoust an "behind the scenes", after everything's end. No motvation, no passion, no bad taste just bitter, no politically incorrect, just funly incorrect.

.... And now, time for the weather. Tiffany ?
  • This season really bites--in a bad way

This last season has been rife with bad writing, bad sex, the decline of character substance and sloppy directing. This used to be my favorite show--or at least one of them--and I am a long-time fan of the books. But this last season has been dismally disappointing. The show is going out with a whiney whimper and everything about it is so revolting that I'm not even going to watch the rest of the episodes. Hollywood seems bent on insulting the show's viewers, and whomever is writing this last season has shown such contempt for us with astoundingly asinine "plot" lines and idiotic dialogue that my "willing suspension of disbelief" has been replaced with my willing suspension of watching this drivel. Shame on you, True Blood creators. You've wasted the abiity of some highly talented actors with your laziness and incompetence.
  • best review for true blood

True blood is by far the worst network series to ever hit television. can people put themselves through the torture of watching even one full episode? 8.6 rating? Not in your wildest dreams... the shit sucks.
  • Finallyy getting into it again.

I was disappointed in season five. The whole AUTHORITY storyline was stupid. I was surprised with Tara's storyline. All of season five seemed to go by so slowly and I grew bored and had no desire to see season 6. Well, I am only 2 episodes into season 6 and so far I love it. I never really cared for VAMPS, but HBO did it justice. The sex scences are and will forever be pointless but the show as whole is AMAZING! I'm not too sad to see it go.
  • My rating score used to be 10, long time ago

Worst thing that can happen to a story is the writer and the director to team up to destroy it.
  • So pissed off!!!!

I heard a rumor the Sookie was pregnant and that is why the latest season of true blood was so short... I felt totally jipped. I felt like they just cut out a big chunk of the story line and fast forwarded it to what was supposed to be episode 12. Why couldn't they have just disguised her pregnancy and showed her less often like they did the other time she got pregnant? I really hope that the last season is 12 episodes like all the other seasons. Has the show even thought about their fans? Loyal fans who have taken the time out of their lives every Sunday to watch for what is going to be for 7 years straight,,, DESERVE full seasons, anything less is just not right. ,, For the last season can they at least have a full season this time? It sucks to watch every episode of a show and then at the end get jipped like that. Love the show 10 out 10 but I am still upset over the shortness of last season,, STILL.
  • it shouldn't cancel

I just got into all of the true blood series and now i realize it only one more season then it cancel cause they have no more idea yet you never brought up a witch or a leprechaun come on think of more i didn't watch it just for out to get canceled
  • Season 6

I think the final episode is the best final for the show and it should be ended. great show
  • Love all season looking forward for the next season

Really looking forward for interesting new script for the next season ... Keep up the good work!!
  • season 6

I knew season 6 was gonna be short cause Sookies actress is pregnant but .. seriously. the show is dying for me. season 5 was worse season 6 was just a bump. cmon do better
  • Doesn't Get Much Better Than This

Want to be grossed out? Want to laugh out loud? Want to be engrossed by fantastical characters with their tongue's stuck firmly in their cheek? If so, then True Blood is for you. Vampires, Werewolves, Faeries... it's all ridiculous, in the best possible way.

I've watched all the episodes, which doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for some folk reviewing this show. I mean who reads 20 pages of a 200 page book and then reviews it? The show changes throughout the seasons, and season 6 is must-watch-TV, and has literally brought the show back to life. Season 7 can't come fast enough, that was a decent cliffhanger.
  • Radioactive

I like Radioactive music since i watch the HOST movie, and it came here in true blood, beautiful finale, cant wait SEASON 7..
  • fake much?!

OMG this show is by far the worst ive ever seen in my life !! 2 times i start watching and never get past season 1 episode 8 :D i mean what the hell!! fake acting ,bad music and worst screenplay eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer !!!

the episodes i watched i was LOLing the whole time ! ! and Sookie ?? seriously what kind of a name is that ?! hahahaha and even better stackhouse xD xD

is there anyone like me here or ya'll fangbangers :D :P
  • Had its time in (out?) of the Sun

Once upon a time this was a novel show. Somewhere along the way it morphed into a one-uppance contest. Now its just stupid. Watch the first few seasons and skip the rest..
  • Good show, don't like current season

Season 6 ... nothing makes sense, people keep making decisions with no reasoning behind it. Starts right away with writers deciding everyone will hate/fear bill from 1st second of season because he is supposedly super evil now no matter what he does/says and just goes downhill from there especially for sookie character. I didn't watch all episodes yet, but I hope they get better. Not saying it's all bad just a few decisions came off totally fake imo - otherwise the camp part of story/main plot I like.

Series as a whole is very good.
  • Social Twists on a cultural penom

I haven't watched the entire series: I'm only on the 4th Season. I've got nothing but admiration on this series playing against social norms. It constantly plays upon the morality of what it means to be human. The Vampires are given a choice: "Main Stream" or stand out. What is to be expected is that, much like life, the choice is not so black and white. Lines must be crossed in order to preserve either their own lives or the lives of the people close to them. It's a very dark take on the general aspects of would give this show a 10 rating, but the plot which starts out wide, complicated, and nail biting slows down drastically.

The first season blows open Sookie's peaceful, serene, southern life. Introducing Vampires, Murderers, Vampire Haters/Lovers, Voodoo, Shapeshifters and of course the wonderful Greek Mythos. Come the second season, Sookie has begun a strong, outspoken, vocal character not afraid to stand up to vampires.

@dougretter7 | Your post amuses me thoroughly. If you actually read between the lines of the entire "Christian" aspects of the show: The Church of Light. They are not representing Christian's as whole: period. They are the crazy fanatics; example would be Westboro Baptist Church. You must be Christian as your back goes up immediately in this case. The point of the contrast between the normal Christians "Hoyt" and "Sookie" is that nothing is EVER simple. They are perceived as 'stupid' in the show because they are meant to be compared with Vampires who are hundreds to thousands of years old: if you tried to match wits with anything that lived for thousands of years you'd look totally ignorant too.
  • Best Show Ever

Since the first season True Blood has always been interesting and in no way boring. Every single episode has had me chewing on my nails.
  • Stick to the books

I love True Blood when it started. The first season followed the books and hooked a lot of Charlaine Harris fans. Every season seemed to stray farther and farther from the books and now it is just ridiculous. Where has all the good television gone?
  • Vampires done right, but will it stay forever young?

I Had little to no interest in the vampire craze that was sweeping up this country, but gave it a chance, and it officially sunk it's teeth into me! Excellent cast that you end up caring about, high production value, and an entertaining take on vampire / werewolf lore. People complain about profanity and some pretty hot soft core scenes, but isn't that the point of HBO?? My only gripe is a common one; 1st season = 9.5, 2nd season = 10, 3rd Season 8.5, 4th season = 6.5, etc .... Are they running out of material? are they running short on ideas and uses for the characters? I'm not sure, but the show is steadily losing steam, and I hope they regain stability this upcoming season.
  • a great show

this is what a vampires should be, better then sparkly vampire shit
  • Have been through 4 seasons.

Things started out pretty reasonable and interesting; enough that I watched into four seasons. Good girl Sookie hooks up with a good vampire, undying love, faithful to each other; a decent love story with unusual problems. By Season 4 she's turned into a whore and he's an evil opportunistic "good" guy. Jessica and Hoyt, young kids deeply in love, working hard to make something good out of their situation; now she's a whore sleeping with Hoyt's best friend. Everyone is screwing everyone, what the heck, vampires using humans as tools and disposable sex objects, no real values anywhere; just people using people. No one, at any social level appears to possess any character or decency that doesn't at some place wallor into animalistic sex or treachery. If you removed the "F" word, you would have shortened the series by 2 hours. Someone would have to point out to me anything virtuous in the storyline. The whole thing is sick.

When it began, I would have given this a decent rating; however, this entire series has descended into one putrid morass of sex, drugs, lying, cheating, group sex, betrayal, blood and guts, foul language, and ruined, broken people. Did I miss anythingoh yeah, and mocking people of faith, specifically Christians, who are portrayed as moronic, hypocritical buffoons. What started out fairly decent turned into a piece of crap. I refuse to watch the rest.

• Need more

Can not wait till the next season!!!!!
  • Truu Blood

Scary, spooky, vampire show. I love the fact that humans are aware of the existance of vampires!! And also that's the way vampires should be.