A True Detective Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

Last week, #TrueDetectiveSeason2 trended on Twitter for a while, with tons of funny ideas for creative casting of two detective leads. But if you consider it seriously for a moment, there are some awesomely creative potential duos. Without knowing the story, setting, director, etc., which two actors would you like to see working together?

1) The Wire Reunion

Bunk and McNulty could step right back into character or try on something new for size. Or throw Idris Elba and Wood Harris together. Or Michael K. Williams and Michael B. Jordan. Or...

2) The Mara Sisters

Creator Nic Pizzolatto has dropped at least one hint that a female detective pairing could be considered next year. With Kate Mara's House of Cards experience and Rooney's film work, they'll fit right into a more cinematic TV show.

3) A Mad Men Reunion

With Mad Men wrapping up filming on its final season, a huge number of great actors are going to be available shortly. Jon Hamm may be more likely to head towards a lighthearted comedy, but I'd still love to see him tackle an even darker role. Pick your favorite duo and start filming.

Who else would you like to see working together in a future True Detective season?
78 Comments
Comments (78)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Female-Cate Blanchett and Jessica Chastain
Male-Denzil Washington and Chiwetel Ejiofor
Flag
2 males: Hugh Jackman & Stephen Amell
2 females: Uma Thurman & Paget Brewster
mixed couple: Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie
Flag
For a female pairing

Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton
One can dream.
Flag
Or vomit...
Flag
1. Tom hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch
2. Gabriel Byrne and Kevin Spacey
3. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson
4. James McAvoy and Erwan McGregor
5. Zachary Quinto and Michelle Dockery
6. Kevin Bacon and Sandra Bullock
7. Tom Hanks and George Clooney
8. Kiefer Sutherland and Jennifer Garner
9. Melissa George and David Tennant
10. Damian Lewis and Rachel McAdams
Flag
That's quite a list.
They would certainly make ten very interesting seasons.
I doubt they can pull of that many, though.
Flag

DiCaprio and Ruffalo reunited
Flag
Daniel Day Lewis and Benedict Cumberbatch. Or DDL and Martin Freeman. Or Benedict Cumberbatch and David Tennant. Sigh..
Flag
The Wire Reunion : Bunk and McNulty of course!

I am also quite partial to a female pairing.
I'd prefer Maria Bello ("Jane Timoney in Prime Suspect)
and Jennifer Carpenter ("Debra Morgan" in Dexter)
Flag
Laura Dern and....well ideally, and I'm being serious:

Flag
Well, I think what's somewhat more important is that the writing staff keeps the level of quality. Without the right words on the page the actor/actress can be as good as the come and still not measure up.

So to answer your question: I would like to see the present creative team, producers and executives to work together on the future TD season 2. I trust that they will find two amazing leads.
Flag
How about Steve Buscemi?
Flag
Ooh, great idea! But who should his partner be?
Flag
I will answer for him John Malkovich
Flag
Ed Norton and Hugh Jackman
Ben and Casey Affleck would be a treat (Gone Baby Gone style)
Flag
Robert Downey Jr.,Mark Ruffalo and Joaquin Phoenix for men
Scarlett Johansson, Gemma Arterton and Amy Adams for women
you can make any pair out of this group male-male, male-female or female-female and it would be a great choice
(naturally this is full on dream casting since the chances of geting any of these actors are slim to none)

Flag
In Pizzolatto I trust. I'd like to see a Male-Female partnership, Bryan Cranston and Anna Torv.
Flag
Jack Coleman (Noah Bennet) and Cristine Rose (Angela Petrelli). Heroes reunion.
Flag
Titus Welliver and Mark Pellegrino (Lost).
Flag
Titus Welliver already stars in the Harry Bosch pilot over on Amazon.
Flag
Yes and he's great in it. But they haven't picked up the show yet as far as I know.
Flag
with Marlo from the Wire as his sidekick, that show sure must get some traction
Flag

Flag
Now there's a Duo of True Detectives I would like to see!
Flag
They probably do deserve another shot at making up for that disaster...
Flag
Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) and Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen)
Flag
Guy Pearce and Idris Elba. Or Daniel Day-Lewis and Russell Crowe.
Flag
If season 1 can have two established Hollywood actors (one a current oscar nominee), then season two should be able to shoot even higher with the buzz the show is generating.

How about Daniel Craig and Damian Lewis investigating a modern day Jack the Ripper in London?
Flag
Bonus points for combining great actor choices with a logical location!

I could see a number of Australian duos solving an Outback mystery as well... maybe Guy Pearce and Hugh Jackman? Eric Bana and Joel Edgerton?
Flag
The show has a feel similar to David Fincher's SE7EN, so why not Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman reprising their roles? Turns out Kevin Spacey was only a pawn/disciple of a real killer, and only two men know how to get to the real one.
Flag
I suppose it would give Brad a chance to prove his acting has improved since he did that movie..Whew he bad in SE7EN. Woody has proved he's grown a ton since White Men Can't Jump and Cheers.
Flag
I have long been arguing for a Helen Mirrim/Judi Dench buddy cop film but I'll take them as a detective team for 13 episodes as well.
Flag
I think its reasonable to assume that the two cops investigating Rustin Cohle Will probably be one of the duos to which a season is dedicated.

Idris Elba & Gemma Arterton would be good.

So would Angela Bassett & Ken Watanabe.
Flag
The two investigating detectives are great! I wasn't familiar with the actors beforehand (Michael Potts & Tory Kittles), but they more than hold their own against McConaughey and Harrelson.
Flag
I'd be on board with this idea except it leaves us in the same geographical circles. Granted I do like the Bayou's creepy feel along with the element of hard core religion in the South but I suspect they're be a different genre next season, far removed from the Bayou and Satanic cults.
Flag
one played "brother mouzone" on "the wire". the other was on "sons of anarchy" .

Flag
Wow, should have known Brother Mouzone... He's versatile!
Flag
Yup. He and Omar were an unlikely duo.
Flag

Edward James Olmos and Elizabeth Olsen
Flag
Not that you're predictable Pat, but as soon as I saw this post was yours I was expecting a Mad Men duo! I do think John Hamm would be good, but I'd pair him with Elizabeth Moss.

I suppose if we're going for detective duo's that have already featured in other shows then my top choice would be Mulder & Scully, I'd like to see David Duchovny thrown into a much more serious role and obviously Gillian Anderson would undoubtedly be brilliant. I think Donal Logue & Michael Raymond-James could be an interesting pairing too.

I'd like to see Alison Brie given a shot and I think Kate Mara is a fantastic choice. Michael Sheen is a wonderfully versatile actor so he'd make a safe choice to ground either of those two.
Flag
Alison Brie as a dark loose canon detective.
Flag
Alison Brie and Tatiana Maslany. I'd love to see Alison Brie get something really meaty.
Flag
I'd love to see a Hank Moody true detective style
Flag
With Charlie Runkle as his hapless partner!
Flag
Skinny Pete & Badger (Breaking Bad Reunion)
Flag
good one man
Flag
Well if it would be a female duo: Holly Hunter (Saving Grace) and Jody Foster.
I think they could create an equally interesting atmosphere as Harrelson and McConaughey
Flag
Tom Hardy and Idris Elba
Flag
I'd buy that for a dollar!
Flag
I'd probably be too busy drooling to follow the show.
Flag
I'm hoping for at least one to be female so perhaps Ryan Gosling and Jennifer Carpenter?
Flag
Going on from the leads we have, it'd either have to be two big stars - not necessarily former police figures again - or two off the chart relative unknowns. I can't see any actor being chosen who has played a well known cop. Two more anti heroes, no doubt.
How about Ray Winstone and Temuera Morrison? Now that would be an odd couple that could kill it.
Flag
Bruce Willis and Mickey Rourke, perhaps.
Flag
A definite no to Willis but Rourke could be interesting in his anti-hero guise. Having said that, it'd be mad to see Mickey as a straight man for once.
Flag
Michael Chiklis and Walton Goggins of 'The Shield' fame.
I think I just got goosebumps. ....

Oh hell yeah! that would be damn cool!
Flag
Goggins is a great choice IMO.
Flag
Christian Bale and Jean Reno.
Flag
Michael C. Hall and Peter Krause (Six Feet Under reunion)
Flag
Michael C. Hall sucks. He lost me on Dexter big time, part of entire cast that just mailed it in especially the last season. I KNOW he can act better but he deserves to be in acting purgatory for a few years after that mess.
Flag
ving rhames and chuck norris
Flag
This week it seems everyone is pairing everyone up for the next season of True Detectives. This must be the 10th article I have read about this. The show-runner must be having a headache if he have not decided already.

Two of the best suggestion I have seen is

Breaking bad - Bryan Cranston and Giancarlo Esposito (Best Reunion)

HBO - Game of Thrones Peter Dinklage and Girls Adam Driver (Most interesting)
Flag
What about Cranston and Dinklage?
Flag
They would be great too but with all this built up, would it be a let down if the writers chose some unknown for the leads next season. He has already hinted it will probably be 2 ladies.
Flag
Yep! I shared some links to the articles here, but thought it was worth a larger discussion.

Obviously I'd be 100% on board anything involving Bryan Cranston, but definitely agree that Peter Dinklage and Adam Driver is one of the most interesting duos I've seen.
Flag

Bradley Cooper (Hangover / Limitless)
Kate Bekinsale (Underworld / Total Recall)
Flag
Staff

Sarah Manning (Orphan Black)
Richard Harrow (Boardwalk Empire)
Flag
Yes to this!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members